http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 07:00:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 impressions thread  (Read 67173 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: March 26, 2009, 07:08:51 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on March 26, 2009, 07:06:34 PM

But... but... I had my pitchfork sharpened and my torches fully oil-soaked!  crybaby

Until you were distracted at least.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 26, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 26, 2009, 07:08:51 PM

Quote from: mytocles on March 26, 2009, 07:06:34 PM

But... but... I had my pitchfork sharpened and my torches fully oil-soaked!  crybaby

Until you were distracted at least.

Touche' lol!  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 26, 2009, 07:42:25 PM »

Just completed it today. Took about 8 hours to do everything including obtaining the 100 ingots.
Good storyline and the gameplay/quests were more of the same thing you played in the original (base) game.

Some new armor and weapons are made available too.

Graphics and sound are the same quality as the base game.

Spoiler for Hiden:
In my opinion the Arena combatants were way too easy to kill. I just used the Mauler and it was over in seconds

What happened to raising the level cap?

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 26, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on March 26, 2009, 07:42:25 PM

Just completed it today. Took about 8 hours to do everything including obtaining the 100 ingots.
Good storyline and the gameplay/quests were more of the same thing you played in the original (base) game.

Some new armor and weapons are made available too.

Graphics and sound are the same quality as the base game.

Spoiler for Hiden:
In my opinion the Arena combatants were way too easy to kill. I just used the Mauler and it was over in seconds

What happened to raising the level cap?

I've not clicked your spoiler....but raising the level cap is due in the next DLC currently i think due in April(if not put back like The Pitt was)

From Wiki
    * Level cap raised to 30
    * New perks
    * New quests
    * Altered main quest line
    * New armor
    * New weapons
    * New enemies:
          o High level ghouls
          o High level super mutants
          o Improved Enclave soldiers
    * New encounters
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:03:02 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 26, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »

So if the new DLC alters the quest line, does that mean the level cap increase doesn't apply to those still going through the original quest as I still am?

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 26, 2009, 08:53:34 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on March 26, 2009, 08:27:31 PM

So if the new DLC alters the quest line, does that mean the level cap increase doesn't apply to those still going through the original quest as I still am?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  When you get Broken Steel you have access to more levels no matter where you are or what you're doing.  It's magic! smile 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 26, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »

Quote from: kathode on March 26, 2009, 08:53:34 PM

I'm not sure what you're asking.  When you get Broken Steel you have access to more levels no matter where you are or what you're doing.  It's magic! smile 

You covered it. But if I'm not done with the main quest and the DLC alters the ending of the main quest doesn't that create some kind of time space continuum thing or is it smooth as silk...
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 26, 2009, 10:49:11 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on March 26, 2009, 09:38:12 PM

Quote from: kathode on March 26, 2009, 08:53:34 PM

You covered it. But if I'm not done with the main quest and the DLC alters the ending of the main quest doesn't that create some kind of time space continuum thing or is it smooth as silk...

If you haven't completed it yet, what's to alter?  icon_wink

It's us folks who finished it who are wondering how in the heck it will be 'altered' in order to allow things to continue. I actually completed the main quest and then went back to an earlier save to continue my adventures. I think that was at around the 40 hour mark and now here I am, entering The Pitt with 107 hours under my belt, firmly smashed up against the level cap with Sarah Lyons and Giant Robot still patiently waiting for me so we can go kick some Enclave ass. I hope. I guess I should go check.

So I'm hoping that with the advent of "Broken Steel" I can go back to where they're waiting, live out this altered ending and then continue terrorizing the wasteland to my heart's content. Or at least until I hit the new cap. Yes?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 27, 2009, 01:29:55 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 26, 2009, 10:49:11 PM

So I'm hoping that with the advent of "Broken Steel" I can go back to where they're waiting, live out this altered ending and then continue terrorizing the wasteland to my heart's content. Or at least until I hit the new cap. Yes?

That's right.  Broken Steel alters the game starting with the ending.  Since it's impossible to have a save after the ending, you're covered no matter what.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 27, 2009, 01:57:59 AM »

hmm...so for those who have yet to finish it,you guys have at least a month i reckon to see the ending before its gone forever!!(or while connected to LIVE)

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 27, 2009, 04:01:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 27, 2009, 01:57:59 AM

hmm...so for those who have yet to finish it,you guys have at least a month i reckon to see the ending before its gone forever!!(or while connected to LIVE)

Yeah what about that? With the update does that mean I won't get to see the original ending?
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 27, 2009, 04:29:19 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on March 27, 2009, 04:01:23 PM

Yeah what about that? With the update does that mean I won't get to see the original ending?

It doesn't exactly work like that.  I'm sure we'll be talking about it more as the date gets closer.  In the meantime if you have your save and that's something you're actually worried about, no harm in going through the end now as it is as long as you hold on to your save.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 27, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »

I recently re-started FO3 on PC.  The 360 version did absolutely nothing for me, and I actually found myself disliking it pretty early on.  Playing it on PC, however, has been a completely different story.  Maybe it's the keyboard/mouse vs. gamepad, maybe I'm just more in the mood for it, or maybe doing the quests in a different order has made them less frustrating.  Whatever the reason, it has really clicked with me this time around, and I'm having far more fun that I was with the 360 flavor.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 27, 2009, 05:01:10 PM »

Quote from: kathode on March 27, 2009, 04:29:19 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on March 27, 2009, 04:01:23 PM

It doesn't exactly work like that.  I'm sure we'll be talking about it more as the date gets closer.  In the meantime if you have your save and that's something you're actually worried about, no harm in going through the end now as it is as long as you hold on to your save.

I would! If I could continue to level up! :'( 
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 28, 2009, 04:07:37 AM »

When entering The Pitt I found it odd that, during the railcar scene (at one end or the other, don't recall) I was told I couldn't bring my dog along and I'd have tie him up and leave him behind. Problem is, Dogmeat and Fawkes have been in my Megaton house since before Alaska and I'd left them there for this little adventure as well. It then proceeded to tell me that Dogmeat went back to my house and Fawkes went back to the Natural History museum. I guess we'll see who's where when I get done with all this.  icon_confused

-craig

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: March 28, 2009, 07:36:36 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 28, 2009, 04:07:37 AM

When entering The Pitt I found it odd that, during the railcar scene (at one end or the other, don't recall) I was told I couldn't bring my dog along and I'd have tie him up and leave him behind. Problem is, Dogmeat and Fawkes have been in my Megaton house since before Alaska and I'd left them there for this little adventure as well. It then proceeded to tell me that Dogmeat went back to my house and Fawkes went back to the Natural History museum. I guess we'll see who's where when I get done with all this.  icon_confused

I had the same thing happen.  When I returned I had to go get Dogmeat at Vault 101. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 28, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on March 28, 2009, 07:36:36 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 28, 2009, 04:07:37 AM

I had the same thing happen.  When I returned I had to go get Dogmeat at Vault 101. 

Ah... maybe that's where it said he went rather than Megaton. And I see from the wiki it's a known issue... never mind.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:34:42 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 01, 2009, 05:12:18 PM »

Cripes, "The Pitt" DLC still having problems? I downloaded it, again, but I'm afraid to go there and risk locking up the game. I guess I'll have to wait some more.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 01, 2009, 06:58:52 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on April 01, 2009, 05:12:18 PM

Cripes, "The Pitt" DLC still having problems? I downloaded it, again, but I'm afraid to go there and risk locking up the game. I guess I'll have to wait some more.

Just save and give it a try.  The issue should only affect a small percentage of people.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 03, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »

Quote from: kathode on April 01, 2009, 06:58:52 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on April 01, 2009, 05:12:18 PM

Just save and give it a try.  The issue should only affect a small percentage of people.

Yet another version available now for the lockup problems.

-craig

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 03, 2009, 02:25:02 PM »

Since I decided to wait on Fallout and play it during my current RPG-fest (only got about 8 hours in originally), I'm going to basically be starting from the beginning with all the DLC installed.  I wonder how drastically altered the ending is going to be by Broken Steel.  I hate the idea of there being an original ending that I didn't get to see, so now I'm wondering if it's worth holding off on BS until I finish the main line.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 03, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 03, 2009, 02:25:02 PM

Since I decided to wait on Fallout and play it during my current RPG-fest (only got about 8 hours in originally), I'm going to basically be starting from the beginning with all the DLC installed.  I wonder how drastically altered the ending is going to be by Broken Steel.  I hate the idea of there being an original ending that I didn't get to see, so now I'm wondering if it's worth holding off on BS until I finish the main line.

That's my dilemma too. Problem is- as best as I can surmise- I'm only about half way through the mainquest, have hit level 20- and if I finish it off to see the original ending, I'll waste oodles of XP.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 03, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 03, 2009, 02:25:02 PM

just incase you miss the original ending...good ol' Youtube..obviously expect spoilers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_OovIlu8pQ

question about the after end carry on thats coming

Spoiler for Hiden:
does that mean you can drink and swim in the waters when the Broken steel DLC is out(and you have got to the end).?..as you have purified all the water ..right?

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 03, 2009, 02:43:35 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 03, 2009, 02:26:32 PM

That's my dilemma too. Problem is- as best as I can surmise- I'm only about half way through the mainquest, have hit level 20- and if I finish it off to see the original ending, I'll waste oodles of XP.

I went through to the original ending to see it, then went back to a saved game and continued exploring. I'm kinda in the same boat, at level 20 and if there's going to be a lifting of the level cap, then I'm thinking I don't want to waste the XPs as well.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 07, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »

I bought this game a couple weeks after it first came out but could not get into it at all. After awhile I realized that the Fallout 3 universe was too damn depressing that I didn't want to visit the world. On top of that, I was terrified. At any given moment I felt like some monster could sneak up on me and end my life. The pistol just wasn't cutting it and I never had any ammo for the bigger guns like the assault rifle. That all changed when I found the combat shotgun.  icon_twisted Suddenly, it didn't matter what was coming at me, every battle ended with my enemies head flying in the opposite direction of their body. I finally felt like a bad ass who could walk into a super mutant camp without breaking a sweat.

I tore through the rest of the game as a good character and beat the game Sunday night. I then downloaded the Operation Anchorage DLC yesterday and played through it. Different take, but I really liked it. I'll eventually get the rest of the DLC, but right now I'm debating whether or not to finish up some of the side missions I have or to start over with an evil character.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 20, 2009, 04:04:13 AM »

like a lot of people i am waiting for the new DLC for the level 30 ranks,so that we don't waste XP,as we are already reached level 20 with half the main story still to do..i have finished the game before but this is my second playthrough

just found the new achievements for the Broken Steel DLC,i heard awhile ago that this was to add up to 150 points(the other two DLC being 100 points each)

still no real date set in stone though for this,i have just heard end of April,beginning of May time...it doesnt seem however that long since the pitt,so they may have delayed it a while

notice the good,bad and the ugly Neutral level 30 achievements!!

Death From Above
Completed "Death From Above"

Shock Value
Completed "Shock Value"

Who Dares Wins
Completed "Who Dares Wins"

Devil
Reached Level 30 with Bad Karma

True Mortal
Reached Level 30 with Neutral Karma

Messiah
Reached Level 30 with Good Karma

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 20, 2009, 12:54:19 PM »

SO wanting the new level cap.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: April 20, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »

So recommending the PC version for all the mods that include level cap raises.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 20, 2009, 01:34:50 PM »

apparently Kotaku are reporting that Bethesda have just announced Fallout New Vegas at a London Conference...its a new game and it will be out on PC/360/PS3 next year

Fallout New Vegas was announced moments ago during a Bethesda press conference in London.

The new game was revealed by Bethesda's Pete Hines who said that the publisher is working with Obsidian Entertainment on the title.

It will be coming out next year for the PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

"It is not a sequel to Fallout 3," Hines said. "It's simply another Fallout game in that universe."

It will be the same sort of role-playing game experience seen in Fallot 3, he said. The game's official reveal, with more details and a look at the game down the line.

Hines added that this title will have no impact on what Todd Howard and his team are working on.

http://kotaku.com/5219584/new-fallout-announced

i didnt think a new game would be out so fast

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 20, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on April 07, 2009, 12:32:29 PM

I bought this game a couple weeks after it first came out but could not get into it at all. After awhile I realized that the Fallout 3 universe was too damn depressing that I didn't want to visit the world. On top of that, I was terrified. At any given moment I felt like some monster could sneak up on me and end my life. The pistol just wasn't cutting it and I never had any ammo for the bigger guns like the assault rifle. That all changed when I found the combat shotgun.  icon_twisted Suddenly, it didn't matter what was coming at me, every battle ended with my enemies head flying in the opposite direction of their body. I finally felt like a bad ass who could walk into a super mutant camp without breaking a sweat.

I tore through the rest of the game as a good character and beat the game Sunday night. I then downloaded the Operation Anchorage DLC yesterday and played through it. Different take, but I really liked it. I'll eventually get the rest of the DLC, but right now I'm debating whether or not to finish up some of the side missions I have or to start over with an evil character.

I also wrapped up Fallout 3 this weekend.  I was also terribly frustrated with the lack of ammo until I picked up the "Scrounger" perk.  Never had a problem with it for the rest of the game.  smile

Overall, I though it was fun and really enjoyed the VATS combat.  However, I never could shake the feeling that I was playing a glorified Oblivion mod, and it suffered from many of the same problems that game did.  Namely that everything outside of the main quest started to feel very similar after a while (go to metro/factory/bombed out town, kill Supermutant/Ant/Centaur/Raider, talk to Person A/get Widget B, rinse, repeat).  There were some notable exceptions (I thought the Tenpenny Tower sequence was excellent), but I was certainly ready to be finished yesterday.  Put in just over 45 hours, ended up at level 18.  Don't think I'll bother with any of the DLC

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 20, 2009, 03:27:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 20, 2009, 01:11:12 PM

So recommending the PC version for all the mods that include level cap raises.

I thought about trying one of those, but I'm curious to see how save games using those might interact with Broken Steel.  I've avoided any mod that modifies levels/XP gain just in case those save games won't work with the DLC.

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 20, 2009, 04:04:13 AM

like a lot of people i am waiting for the new DLC for the level 30 ranks,so that we don't waste XP,as we are already reached level 20 with half the main story still to do..i have finished the game before but this is my second playthrough

yeah, I just hit 20 on my second attempt at playing the game (first attempt fizzled out due to too many games coming out at the same time) and as soon as I did I stopped playing as I don't want to waste any XP so I can hopefully hit 30 with the DLC.   too bad Bethesda cannot release a pre-Broken Steel patch to allow you to store up XP in anticipation, and then once the DLC hits you'd be able to level up to whatever level you've gained enough XP for.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 21, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »

ShackNews has a big Broken Steel preview.  May 5th is the release date -
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1114
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:16:45 PM by kathode » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 21, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »

Quote from: kathode on April 21, 2009, 03:15:02 PM

What's the release date for the version that works? icon_wink

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 21, 2009, 04:16:55 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 21, 2009, 04:08:16 PM

What's the release date for the version that works? icon_wink

http://instantrimshot.com/
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 21, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »

Sweet, I am going on vacation next week and this will be something nice to have when I get back. I stopped reading the article at the point where they mentioned spoilers, so as to allow myself to be surprised.

I have avoided doing "The Pitt" DLC since I'm at level nineteen, but maybe I'll jump into it to get it out of the way.

I'm still on my first playthrough, btw. Are there other folks still working their first F3 life? One thing I didn't do this time was leave the vault with the dog. I guess I'd have to play at least one more time to see what all the deal is with Dogmeat.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 21, 2009, 04:37:59 PM »

Still haven't sat down to play this.  I'm thinking it'll be my post-gold prize to myself, which means I'll be starting out with all the DLC in place.  The question I've always had is how much will Broken Steel alter the original ending? I want to see what the original one was.  I'm hoping that Broken Steel simply picks up after the original ending.  Otherwise, I'll likely be playing through without BS (heh), and then loading it to get the new ending.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 21, 2009, 04:47:03 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on April 21, 2009, 04:33:00 PM

Sweet, I am going on vacation next week and this will be something nice to have when I get back. I stopped reading the article at the point where they mentioned spoilers, so as to allow myself to be surprised.

I have avoided doing "The Pitt" DLC since I'm at level nineteen, but maybe I'll jump into it to get it out of the way.

I'm still on my first playthrough, btw. Are there other folks still working their first F3 life? One thing I didn't do this time was leave the vault with the dog. I guess I'd have to play at least one more time to see what all the deal is with Dogmeat.

I'm still on my first playthrough...not sure if I have the will to go through the whole game again...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 21, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 21, 2009, 04:37:59 PM

Still haven't sat down to play this.  I'm thinking it'll be my post-gold prize to myself, which means I'll be starting out with all the DLC in place.  The question I've always had is how much will Broken Steel alter the original ending? I want to see what the original one was.  I'm hoping that Broken Steel simply picks up after the original ending.  Otherwise, I'll likely be playing through without BS (heh), and then loading it to get the new ending.

It's supposed to change it completely. I think the solution is to play through it without the DLC.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 21, 2009, 04:57:54 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 21, 2009, 04:48:46 PM

Quote from: Chaz on April 21, 2009, 04:37:59 PM

It's supposed to change it completely. I think the solution is to play through it without the DLC.

No, it doesn't. You still have the same ending with what is technically a very minor change, albeit one that has a significant effect on you and the game itself. My personal opinion - don't worry about the original ending, play with the DLC and enjoy the fact that they listened to player feedback and made the game better for it. Once you've done that, easy enough to find out what the original ending was.  icon_wink

-craig

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 21, 2009, 05:17:02 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 21, 2009, 04:57:54 PM

No, it doesn't. You still have the same ending with what is technically a very minor change, albeit one that has a significant effect on you and the game itself.

Yes, that is correct. 
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: