http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:33:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 impressions thread  (Read 68258 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15468


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 18, 2008, 07:37:06 AM »

Well apparently this is a common problem.

I followed the advice of a thread i read somewhere- following the filled white quest arrows and was able to 'clear the way' for them.

That's been the most annoying part of the game so far that's for sure.
Logged
JayDee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2203


View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 18, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »

I'm about 15 hours into the game and haven't even touched the main quest, although I'll probably do a bit of it tonight. I'm still only level 5 as I have been out exploring the majority of the time. I completed the Arefu line of quests last night, and then spent over an hour decorating my home with all the cool stuff I found in my travels. My shelf proudly displays a gnome, teddy bear, Nuka Cola truck, and a lunch box. The rest of the shelves are stocked full of plates, glasses and boxes of food. Beer is in the fridge.

Also, I decided that I will not be using the fast travel option at any point in this game. I'm completely roleplaying as if I was actually in the wasteland, which means if a location is on the other side of the map I will only go there when I have other business to attend to that makes me go out that way. I find it's more immersive and makes for more interesting choices when I have to travel everywhere by foot. Is there enough daylight left in the day at 3pm to walk from Megaton to Arefu? When night falls I find the closest shelter and rest up for the night. Even heroic adventurers need their rest!
Logged
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2183


CINEMAGIC on XM!


View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 18, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 18, 2008, 02:14:12 PM

I'm about 15 hours into the game and haven't even touched the main quest, although I'll probably do a bit of it tonight. I'm still only level 5 as I have been out exploring the majority of the time. I completed the Arefu line of quests last night, and then spent over an hour decorating my home with all the cool stuff I found in my travels. My shelf proudly displays a gnome, teddy bear, Nuka Cola truck, and a lunch box. The rest of the shelves are stocked full of plates, glasses and boxes of food. Beer is in the fridge.

Also, I decided that I will not be using the fast travel option at any point in this game. I'm completely roleplaying as if I was actually in the wasteland, which means if a location is on the other side of the map I will only go there when I have other business to attend to that makes me go out that way. I find it's more immersive and makes for more interesting choices when I have to travel everywhere by foot. Is there enough daylight left in the day at 3pm to walk from Megaton to Arefu? When night falls I find the closest shelter and rest up for the night. Even heroic adventurers need their rest!

That is exactly how I am playing it.  This game is so much fun.  Where (and how) do you get your first house?  I'm still in Megaton at the beginning.  I'm currently doing the Wasteland Survival quests.

For this game I went the female route and created a hot redhead.  Her name is Alycia (pronounced A-lie-see-ah).  Her fascination is science.  Therefore, I started her with Intelligence/Charisma/Perception with focused skills in Energy Weapons (got to have those lasers), Science (duh) and Speech.  For my first perks I took Daddy's Girl up to level 2 giving a really nice boost to science, medicine and repair.  I'm roleplaying her as someone who is both fascinated with the technology (or what's left of it) out there in the wasteland and an urge to see what the world has become and if there is some small way she can do her part to improve upon it.  Of course she is trying to find her dad as well.

Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 18, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 18, 2008, 02:50:39 PM

Where (and how) do you get your first house?  I'm still in Megaton at the beginning.

You might want to look into doing the Power of the Atom quest you get from the Sheriff. 
Logged
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11431


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 18, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »

Spelling it out a bit more without spoiling any story parts of the quest...

Quote from: Starshifter on November 18, 2008, 02:50:39 PM

That is exactly how I am playing it.  This game is so much fun.  Where (and how) do you get your first house?  I'm still in Megaton at the beginning.

I'm guessing it's safe to assume you're playing this as a goody two-shoes character, so here's what you need to do for your house (which you can get right now).  

spoila spoila spoila spoila spoila spoila spoila spoila spoila







Defuse the bomb.  If you don't want to permanently raise your explosives skill up to 25 to do it, pop some mentats to temporarily raise your skill.  If that doesn't do it enough, find a Raider Blastermaster Helmet to raise it some more and it should then be high enough for sure.
Logged
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2183


CINEMAGIC on XM!


View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 18, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 18, 2008, 02:56:35 PM

Spelling it out a bit more without spoiling any story parts of the quest...

Quote from: Starshifter on November 18, 2008, 02:50:39 PM

That is exactly how I am playing it.  This game is so much fun.  Where (and how) do you get your first house?  I'm still in Megaton at the beginning.

I'm guessing it's safe to assume you're playing this as a goody two-shoes character, so here's what you need to do for your house (which you can get right now).  

spoila spoila spoila spoila spoila spoila spoila spoila spoila







Defuse the bomb.  If you don't want to permanently raise your explosives skill up to 25 to do it, pop some mentats to temporarily raise your skill.  If that doesn't do it enough, find a Raider Blastermaster Helmet to raise it some more and it should then be high enough for sure.

Thanks.  But there is only one problem.

SPOILER COMING













Spoiler for Hiden:
The sheriff, who gave me the quest, is dead.  He died when I told him about that a-hole in the tavern.  He went to go arrest him and got shot dead.  There was nothing I could do about it.  It was a cut scene.  Can I still do the diffuse bomb quest???
Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
TK-421
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2503



View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 18, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 18, 2008, 04:05:33 PM


Thanks.  But there is only one problem.

SPOILER COMING













Spoiler for Hiden:
The sheriff, who gave me the quest, is dead.  He died when I told him about that a-hole in the tavern.  He went to go arrest him and got shot dead.  There was nothing I could do about it.  It was a cut scene.  Can I still do the diffuse bomb quest???


Yup.

Talk to his son.
Logged

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15468


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 18, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 18, 2008, 02:14:12 PM

Also, I decided that I will not be using the fast travel option at any point in this game.

Ok-  I love this game. It's my GOTY lock barring the unforseen and first game in an a huge long time that has absolutely captivate me and I'm already planning a second playthrough.  I'm 37 hrs in, have only discoverd 50+ locations and have only progressed the main story to 3 'locations'.

That said, once you start exploring DC proper- with it's labrythine subways- I bet you change your tune about the fast travel...

It's absolutely maddening at points, how you have to take the subways to get from place to place.  And as one would expect, post apocalyptic cityscapes are not point a to b. it's point a to z to c to x to g to m to b. 

To know I can skip from one part of DC to the other without trying to figure my way through the subaways brings me great peace.  When a new location cha chings on my map in DC I'm like OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Logged
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4901



View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 18, 2008, 07:28:41 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 18, 2008, 07:18:33 PM

Quote from: JayDee on November 18, 2008, 02:14:12 PM

Also, I decided that I will not be using the fast travel option at any point in this game.

Ok-  I love this game. It's my GOTY lock barring the unforseen and first game in an a huge long time that has absolutely captivate me and I'm already planning a second playthrough.  I'm 37 hrs in, have only discoverd 50+ locations and have only progressed the main story to 3 'locations'.

That said, once you start exploring DC proper- with it's labrythine subways- I bet you change your tune about the fast travel...

It's absolutely maddening at points, how you have to take the subways to get from place to place.  And as one would expect, post apocalyptic cityscapes are not point a to b. it's point a to z to c to x to g to m to b. 

To know I can skip from one part of DC to the other without trying to figure my way through the subaways brings me great peace.  When a new location cha chings on my map in DC I'm like OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Not only that - but remember, there are only 20 levels for your character to gain.  You may become over-leveled with all that cross-country tripping.  Just a thought...  icon_confused

Shifter, the same exact thing happened to me re: the Sheriff - luckily, I had just saved the game, so I decided to reload it and do something different.  I think it took me about 8 or 10 reloads to figure out how to keep the Sheriff alive, lol.  Tongue
Logged

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15468


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 18, 2008, 08:43:38 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on November 18, 2008, 07:28:41 PM

Not only that - but remember, there are only 20 levels for your character to gain.  You may become over-leveled with all that cross-country tripping.  Just a thought...  icon_confused

Interesting thought..other than when I first came out of the vault, I haven't had any real problems with the battles- I guess it's because I always target the head and have high perception....I wonder if you can 'over level' or whether your SPECIAL attributes determine how easy or hard the game is...not that the two aren't related of course.
Logged
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2183


CINEMAGIC on XM!


View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 18, 2008, 09:01:52 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on November 18, 2008, 07:28:41 PM

Shifter, the same exact thing happened to me re: the Sheriff - luckily, I had just saved the game, so I decided to reload it and do something different.  I think it took me about 8 or 10 reloads to figure out how to keep the Sheriff alive, lol.  Tongue

Oh Myto!  Why tell me this!  Too late to go back and fix it.  Besides I don't think it did anything to my karma at all.  I did not get any minuses or anything.  It was a cut scene after all.
Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10161


My cocaine


View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: November 18, 2008, 09:09:01 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 18, 2008, 08:43:38 PM

Quote from: mytocles on November 18, 2008, 07:28:41 PM

Not only that - but remember, there are only 20 levels for your character to gain.  You may become over-leveled with all that cross-country tripping.  Just a thought...  icon_confused

Interesting thought..other than when I first came out of the vault, I haven't had any real problems with the battles- I guess it's because I always target the head and have high perception....I wonder if you can 'over level' or whether your SPECIAL attributes determine how easy or hard the game is...not that the two aren't related of course.

i do most of my dc travel above ground.  despite being a mass of wreckage, you can manage it.  it's just more likely to be super mutant battles instead of mutated animals/ghouls.  but you can still sneak around a good deal too.  i went overland all the way to rivet city for instance.
Logged

metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 18, 2008, 09:23:05 PM »

i made level 20 today,from the loading screens it still has that progression bar, you know 20---------21...so not sure if it does carry on
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11431


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 18, 2008, 09:42:44 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 18, 2008, 09:01:52 PM

Quote from: mytocles on November 18, 2008, 07:28:41 PM

Shifter, the same exact thing happened to me re: the Sheriff - luckily, I had just saved the game, so I decided to reload it and do something different.  I think it took me about 8 or 10 reloads to figure out how to keep the Sheriff alive, lol.  Tongue

Oh Myto!  Why tell me this!  Too late to go back and fix it.  Besides I don't think it did anything to my karma at all.  I did not get any minuses or anything.  It was a cut scene after all.

One of the best things about the game is that there is more depth to the consequences of your actions.  Just because you choose the goody two-shoes path doesn't necessarily mean that the scenario will end with happy sunshine fairies.  You didn't get a karma hit because you didn't do anything wrong.  Just roll with it.  smile
Logged
TK-421
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2503



View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 18, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 18, 2008, 09:23:05 PM

i made level 20 today,from the loading screens it still has that progression bar, you know 20---------21...so not sure if it does carry on

Watch how your progress meter towards Level 21 never moves.
Logged

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2183


CINEMAGIC on XM!


View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 19, 2008, 01:32:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 18, 2008, 09:42:44 PM

One of the best things about the game is that there is more depth to the consequences of your actions.  Just because you choose the goody two-shoes path doesn't necessarily mean that the scenario will end with happy sunshine fairies.  You didn't get a karma hit because you didn't do anything wrong.  Just roll with it.  smile

But I adore happy sunshine fairies!  ninja  Yep.  You're right.  I'm just rolling with it.  And having a blast!  Did the entire fire ant thingy last night and got my house in Megaton.  This game is great.
Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4901



View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 19, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 18, 2008, 09:42:44 PM

Quote from: Starshifter on November 18, 2008, 09:01:52 PM

Quote from: mytocles on November 18, 2008, 07:28:41 PM

Shifter, the same exact thing happened to me re: the Sheriff - luckily, I had just saved the game, so I decided to reload it and do something different.  I think it took me about 8 or 10 reloads to figure out how to keep the Sheriff alive, lol.  Tongue

Oh Myto!  Why tell me this!  Too late to go back and fix it.  Besides I don't think it did anything to my karma at all.  I did not get any minuses or anything.  It was a cut scene after all.

One of the best things about the game is that there is more depth to the consequences of your actions.  Just because you choose the goody two-shoes path doesn't necessarily mean that the scenario will end with happy sunshine fairies.  You didn't get a karma hit because you didn't do anything wrong.  Just roll with it.  smile

Lol, sorry Shifter!  I told you that so you'd remember to save more often! To quote from page 13 of this thread:

Quote from: mytocles on November 15, 2008, 05:39:40 PM

Save early and often...

It's very important in this game, as some of the consequences are such that you might not want to "roll with" them, lol.  But the real reason to save often is because the game is fairly glitchy - people in your town disappear or die (keep your eye on Walter in Megaton!), you can also get stuck in the landscape, the game can freeze, and there are some quest-ending bugs as well.  I've only been truly glitched on a few occasions - the door I couldn't walk through being one of them, but I also got caught between two boulders and had to Fast Travel to get out.  One time, I was in a building and got caught between a desk and the wall - and couldn't Fast Travel, so I spent five minutes trying to wriggle out by swinging fists, crouching, jumping, etc. It didn't work and I had to reload the last save.  Yes, I really do search every nook and cranny in games!  Roll Eyes

Logged

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Boudreaux
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 604



View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 19, 2008, 11:27:45 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on November 19, 2008, 08:38:23 PM

I also got caught between two boulders and had to Fast Travel to get out.  One time, I was in a building and got caught between a desk and the wall - and couldn't Fast Travel, so I spent five minutes trying to wriggle out by swinging fists, crouching, jumping, etc. It didn't work and I had to reload the last save.

You know, this is my absolute biggest pet peeve in games these days - when the world as represented in the game shows me a blatantly open path, but for whatever reason the "collision detection" doesn't allow me to take that path.  I had this same thing crop up in Fallout 3.  I stepped down into a little nook inside a building, and for whatever reason the step back up was just high enough that I had to jump - except the game wouldn't let me.  I'm standing there, and there's not a goddamn thing stopping me from walking back into this wide open space, except for the way the game works.  It sucks me right out of the immersion and I hate HATE that.  I've had this happen numerous times in Fallout, actually - I get "stuck" in a spot, there's absolutely nothing above me, but for no good reason, I can't jump at all to get myself out of it.

I had a similar example happen in FarCry 2 last night - I jumped up on a rock, and there was a slightly higher level just above that would have given me a perfect sniper perch.  I'm standing there, and this level looks to be maybe waist high, but it's just slightly too high to jump up on.  So I can't get up there.  I'm sitting there thinking "this is ridiculous, I mean realistically a small child could climb up to this ledge".  Why can't developers fix this? 
Logged

XBox Live:  JNacht
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2786



View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: November 20, 2008, 12:06:50 AM »

OK, I'm going nuts trying to get to the GNR Building.  How do I get there?  I can't find a way past all the rubble surrounding the downtown area.
Logged
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10161


My cocaine


View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: November 20, 2008, 12:16:50 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on November 20, 2008, 12:06:50 AM

OK, I'm going nuts trying to get to the GNR Building.  How do I get there?  I can't find a way past all the rubble surrounding the downtown area.

dunno from experience as i used the underground approach, but the guide does mention an overland passage is available, but it isn't as easy to take due to the rubble and the mutants. 
Logged

ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15468


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #660 on: November 20, 2008, 12:30:01 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on November 20, 2008, 12:06:50 AM

OK, I'm going nuts trying to get to the GNR Building.  How do I get there?  I can't find a way past all the rubble surrounding the downtown area.

Yep. Gotta figure your way through the subways...
Logged
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2786



View Profile WWW
« Reply #661 on: November 20, 2008, 01:11:28 AM »

See, I've been crawling around the subways like crazy trying to get there.  I'll have to play more, I guess.

So far, though, I'm playing as a white knight of the wastes, and having a blast.
Logged
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15468


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 20, 2008, 02:33:23 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on November 20, 2008, 01:11:28 AM

See, I've been crawling around the subways like crazy trying to get there.  I'll have to play more, I guess.

So far, though, I'm playing as a white knight of the wastes, and having a blast.

The dotted lines sort of tell you which subways you should take. It is aggravating though
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 20, 2008, 02:33:51 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on November 20, 2008, 01:11:28 AM

See, I've been crawling around the subways like crazy trying to get there.  I'll have to play more, I guess.

So far, though, I'm playing as a white knight of the wastes, and having a blast.

If you use the quest marker it should direct you to the specific subway that will comes out about a block from the building.  
Logged
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15468


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 20, 2008, 03:02:46 AM »

Had a couple of cool moments tonight (42 hrs in).

Was walking around in arlington and found a place with lots of cars stacked up so I ignited the bus and got to a safe distance.  All the cars went up when the bus did and lots of stuff went flying. Pretty big explosion- biggest one I've made so far.

Then I walked a bit further away and a raider was shooting at me from a bridge.  I noticed a truck underneath the bridge and shot at it until it exploded, killing the raider.

I do think I'm starting to feel exploration fatigue- though that may just be RL fatigue- so I'm gonna start moving the main quest along...well after I comb over arlington... smile
Logged
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10161


My cocaine


View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: November 20, 2008, 08:07:06 PM »

had a great moment up north of dc while trying to get into a building.  came upon a very one sided match between two raiders and two super mutant brutes.  they hadn't spotted me yet, so i sniped one of the mutants in the head and then finished off with a shot to the torso.  his buddy made short work of the two raiders while i backed up around a corner and threw a grenade out near a car.  the explosion staggered the second mutant but didn't hurt his limbs.  he came my way so i ducked out and popped two combat shotty rounds and made him drop his gun.  he took two steps towards me and realized that he wouldn't be able to hurt me so he turned to get his gun.  that's when i shot him square in the back.  easiest 100xp i have had in a while.

i also had a great moment while attacking a bandit camp.  placed a mine near their entrance and backed up to draw them out.  the mine took one of the bandit's legs off and both he and his leg flew out about 30 feet from the entrance.  his buddy took a bit of damage and fell to an assault rifle burst.  the last bandit managed a single missile which hurt, but not enough to matter. 

damn i love this game. 
Logged

mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4901



View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 22, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 20, 2008, 03:02:46 AM

Had a couple of cool moments tonight (42 hrs in).

Was walking around in arlington and found a place with lots of cars stacked up so I ignited the bus and got to a safe distance.  All the cars went up when the bus did and lots of stuff went flying. Pretty big explosion- biggest one I've made so far.

Same exact thing happened to me last night - but it happened to me, lol.  I didn't see the second Super Mutant sniping from a distance. Gotta love the dotted line, cut-out figure you get when they show you how many limbs you just had blown off. Owie. 

At that point I knew it was time to quit for the night... so I only played for another hour or two, lmao.  I'd been searching for Arlington House for four days - real time days, unfortunately.  If I saw another Blue Line Metro sign while searching for the White Line, I was going to run screaming into the night - also in real time.  I finally quit when (Boudreaux, this is for you!) I got stuck between a rock and a wall... in radioactive water.  I was indoors, so no  Fast Travel;  I knew it was time to turn off the 360 for the night.   tear

I still haven't found it, lol, but I can't remember a game as compelling as this one, since Morrowind.  It's my daddy and my mommy.   nod

PS - thanks Metal, for letting me cry on your virtual shoulder last night!  We never did find Arlington Cemetery, but I'm sure I will today!  I think...   icon_neutral
Logged

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 22, 2008, 04:44:32 PM »

yeah i remember following those Red,white or blue lines as well,and it getting me nowhere..ori had to divert myself to get back onto the right track....i think out of the whole game that place was the hardest to get to...but as i say,it was nice and peaceful when i did get there...quiet as a grave(okay throw the veg)

good thing is when you do find it,you can just fast travel there in the future
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3480


Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me


View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 23, 2008, 12:23:12 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 20, 2008, 03:02:46 AM

Had a couple of cool moments tonight (42 hrs in).

Was walking around in arlington and found a place with lots of cars stacked up so I ignited the bus and got to a safe distance.  All the cars went up when the bus did and lots of stuff went flying. Pretty big explosion- biggest one I've made so far.

Then I walked a bit further away and a raider was shooting at me from a bridge.  I noticed a truck underneath the bridge and shot at it until it exploded, killing the raider.

I do think I'm starting to feel exploration fatigue- though that may just be RL fatigue- so I'm gonna start moving the main quest along...well after I comb over arlington... smile

You know... you can move that main quest along AND explore at the same time. I didn't go to GNR and still skipped the story ahead, and then I did it a second time by happening upon a location by wandering and doing some digging, found out I pretty much skipped a couple of quests, still got XP and credit for them, and was able to get to a good stopped point the main quest.
Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 2707


View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 23, 2008, 01:50:45 AM »

 ill make this quick Im at work:(. Is this worth playing on the PS3, or is it TOO buggy etc? Just curious to hear what you guys say. Thanks.
Logged
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15468


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 23, 2008, 02:49:58 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 23, 2008, 12:23:12 AM

You know... you can move that main quest along AND explore at the same time. I didn't go to GNR and still skipped the story ahead, and then I did it a second time by happening upon a location by wandering and doing some digging, found out I pretty much skipped a couple of quests, still got XP and credit for them, and was able to get to a good stopped point the main quest.

If you look earlier in the thread, I actually stumbled upon a main quest location about 3 locations too soon.  I played through it not knowing what it was, and I figured out what was going on, reloaded my save and pretended it didn't happen.
Logged
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3480


Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me


View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 23, 2008, 03:54:53 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 23, 2008, 02:49:58 AM

Quote from: Tebunker on November 23, 2008, 12:23:12 AM

You know... you can move that main quest along AND explore at the same time. I didn't go to GNR and still skipped the story ahead, and then I did it a second time by happening upon a location by wandering and doing some digging, found out I pretty much skipped a couple of quests, still got XP and credit for them, and was able to get to a good stopped point the main quest.

If you look earlier in the thread, I actually stumbled upon a main quest location about 3 locations too soon.  I played through it not knowing what it was, and I figured out what was going on, reloaded my save and pretended it didn't happen.

But you see you wouldn't have actually missed anything. The game is set up to allow you to do that. You could go back and play some of the earlier quests, but you don't have to do things in the order the game suggests. I think that's awesome and you actually don't miss anything because of it.
Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 23, 2008, 03:42:53 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 23, 2008, 03:54:53 AM

But you see you wouldn't have actually missed anything. The game is set up to allow you to do that. You could go back and play some of the earlier quests, but you don't have to do things in the order the game suggests. I think that's awesome and you actually don't miss anything because of it.

I believe that Sarkus or someone else said there is at least one point that you can skip ahead where you miss out on a massive amount of exposition and may have no idea what's going on.
Logged
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4182


my moral standing is lying down...


View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 23, 2008, 07:03:47 PM »

i was playing last night and used my speech skill on someone at GNR to get some info that leads me to my next goal in the main quest.  turns out that doing so skips over an entire quest that individual gives you to earn the information you need, but you can speak to him again and get the assignment through another route (or just stumble along the quest).  the versatility and adaptability of the quest lines is one of the things i find impressive in the game.  you can explore without worrying too much about doing things out of order or breaking the main quest line.  that said, i am still trying to limit my exploration of major areas until the main quest leads me there just so i can experience the whole thing in its intended order.
Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2593


View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 24, 2008, 02:19:44 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 23, 2008, 03:42:53 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on November 23, 2008, 03:54:53 AM

But you see you wouldn't have actually missed anything. The game is set up to allow you to do that. You could go back and play some of the earlier quests, but you don't have to do things in the order the game suggests. I think that's awesome and you actually don't miss anything because of it.

I believe that Sarkus or someone else said there is at least one point that you can skip ahead where you miss out on a massive amount of exposition and may have no idea what's going on.

Yeah, there is nothing stopping you from skipping 64% of the main story (based the number of named quests that make up that part of the game.)  Not only that, the first named quest you would do has nothing directly to do with the main story (as far as telling you anything), it is simply required to get to an area you can't get to otherwise.  If you went that way, you would have no idea what was happening and would completely miss a huge part of the story.




« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:22:10 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 168


View Profile
« Reply #675 on: November 24, 2008, 06:37:57 PM »

After 60 hours I've completed the main quest and done a fair amount of exploring, but I still missed so bloody much.  I don't think I ever played a game where just wandering off and exploring was so much fun.  The VATS system never got old and I still have fun sending heads flying backwards.  I can see the flaws that people bring up and I do wish the writing would have been better in spots, but overall this is the best game I have played in a LONG time.  This game definitely hit my sweet spot, so much so that I can't think of a game that I'd for sure put ahead of it in my all time list. 
Logged
Boudreaux
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 604



View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 24, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »

After turning down Mr. Burke's offer, I suddenly became the target of various freelance mercenaries, all carrying contracts to kill "yet another do-gooder".  Now, none of them would admit to the person behind the contract, but I have my suspicions.  I decided to pay Mr. Burke another visit, but he was nowhere to be found.  Meanwhile, I suffer from unrequited payback while fending off the occasional headhunter.

I just found a lead on the whereabouts of Mr. Burke, his employer, and an angry group that wants to eradicate them from the Wasteland.  Oh, heaven, you do love me.  Time to cash in all that positive karma, because this one's going to get messy.
Logged

XBox Live:  JNacht
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3480


Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me


View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 25, 2008, 12:53:07 AM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on November 24, 2008, 06:45:48 PM

After turning down Mr. Burke's offer, I suddenly became the target of various freelance mercenaries, all carrying contracts to kill "yet another do-gooder".  Now, none of them would admit to the person behind the contract, but I have my suspicions.  I decided to pay Mr. Burke another visit, but he was nowhere to be found.  Meanwhile, I suffer from unrequited payback while fending off the occasional headhunter.

I just found a lead on the whereabouts of Mr. Burke, his employer, and an angry group that wants to eradicate them from the Wasteland.  Oh, heaven, you do love me.  Time to cash in all that positive karma, because this one's going to get messy.

Hrm... you may want to think everything through. Every action has a consequence, and you may be surprised whom you support in the long run. I am purposefully trying not to spoil anything, but you should know that not all that seems evil is actually evil, and you can have  a lot of fun achieving your intended goal in different ways... Damn, could I be any more freaking vague?

Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12701



View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 25, 2008, 04:21:23 AM »

45 hours in now and I'm just starting to explore the entire top portion of the map.  Bravo devs!
Logged
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15468


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 25, 2008, 03:06:18 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 25, 2008, 04:21:23 AM

45 hours in now and I'm just starting to explore the entire top portion of the map.  Bravo devs!

Speaking in generalities please, where are you on the main quest? I'm 42 hrs in and am ready to find the 4th main plot location.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.243 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.13s, 2q)