http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 11:01:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 impressions thread  (Read 68270 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 06, 2008, 08:47:10 PM »

I don't know what to tell you, but all it takes is asking just about any of the named townspeople about your father to get the breadcrumbs to the main quest, and potential sidequests just about literally throw themselves at you from there.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: November 06, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »

no kidding pug, it's not like that quest is a game breaker if you leave it unfinished either.  hell, i did for about the first 5 hours until i decided what kind of person i as going to become.  iirc, as soon as my explosives skill was high enough, i could in fact work on the bomb, and the sheriff even gives you a lead to increase your skills if you tell him.  in the meantime, i:

scouted out a grocery store and took out a band of raiders camped inside,
wandered through an abandoned town and met a drug addicted prostitute,
stumbled into fight with two powerful mutants and came out on top, despite being outgunned,
dove into underground metro tunnels and into a major battle searching for my dad,
slaughtered dozens of raiders and looted their corpses for stuff that was actually useful,
witnessed an unscripted battle between a nasty mutant and a bunch of armored soldiers,
found myself in the middle of a '50's monster movie and saved a kid,

and everything else i have done since that point which could have been done before dealing with the bomb.

-removed what could be construed as a snarky comment.  i intend no offense to anyone who doesn't regard fo3 as highly as i do.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:43:34 PM by Caine » Logged

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 07, 2008, 12:43:08 AM »

You know, I am pretty sure a little blurb pops up in the upper left corner of the screen when you try to do something you don't have a high enough skill for. So for that bomb it would tell you you need an explosives skill of 30 or above to arm or disarm the bomb. I always get the little pop up in the corner when I try to hack some thing I don't have the skill to hack or repair etc.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: November 07, 2008, 03:15:40 AM »

Kathode - to whoever did Canterbury Commons, give that person a raise. What a riot when I first walked into town. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 07, 2008, 07:45:32 PM »

ok, got a couple general questions i need to get cleared up before i get too far.   i just hit level 5 and thus far i'm just choosing skills i like to put my points into.   however, should i just concentrate on one weapon skill or is it ok to go between 2?   for example, i've been splitting alot of my points between small arms and heavy weapons.   am i spreading myself too thin or is this ok?

also, how does picking locks work?   is there a trick to how far to turn the pin and lock?   i haven't been able to pick anything because my pins always break.   is there a trick or feel to it i'm missing?

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: November 07, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 07, 2008, 07:45:32 PM

ok, got a couple general questions i need to get cleared up before i get too far.   i just hit level 5 and thus far i'm just choosing skills i like to put my points into.   however, should i just concentrate on one weapon skill or is it ok to go between 2?   for example, i've been splitting alot of my points between small arms and heavy weapons.   am i spreading myself too thin or is this ok?

also, how does picking locks work?   is there a trick to how far to turn the pin and lock?   i haven't been able to pick anything because my pins always break.   is there a trick or feel to it i'm missing?

the guide recommends picking a primary and secondary weapon skill so you don't get tied down to one weapon type later on and putting the majority of your points into your primary until it's around 75 or so as that gets you a great % to hit in vats, then bringing up your secondary.  why not 100%, you ask?  because you can find skill books, skill related bobbleheads (both s.p.e.c.i.a.l. stats and skill stats) and increases due to armor bonuses and perks, but you don't get a bonus above 100.  i haven't confirmed in my game yet, but that's what i read in there somewhere.  of course, if you are finding big weapons and the ammo to make them useful, then you might be inclined to keep that stat raising rather than holding off until later.  my energy weapons skill is too low to really make them worthwhile right now, but i haven't had a huge # of weapons that rely on it anyway, so it's not a big thing yet.

as for lockpicking, kathode had a great post on it in the pc hints and tricks thread.  basically, you want to bend the pin to one side, check the lock with the screwdriver slowly, and adjust depending on how far you went.  if you take it slowly, you can usually get 3 attempts per pick before they snap.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 07, 2008, 08:39:16 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 07, 2008, 07:45:32 PM

One thing to remember is there is a hard level cap of 20.  At 15 points each level that means only 300 points - so only 3 skills maxed out.  Now there are some perks, books, etc. which can add extra points so that isn't exact but it does give you something to think about. 

Are you pumping up anything besides weapons - barter, repair, science, etc.?  Some of those are really important skills.  Repair is invaluable I think since it saves a lot of money and well maintained weapons do much more damage.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: November 07, 2008, 08:48:01 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 07, 2008, 08:39:16 PM

At 15 points each level that means only 300 points - so only 3 skills maxed out.  Now there are some perks, books, etc. which can add extra points so that isn't exact but it does give you something to think about. 

If you have 10 int plus the perk that gives you 3 extra sp per level, that's 23 per level and then with the comprehension perk you get 2 skillpoints for each book and there are 25 books for each skill for 50 skill points plus a bobblehead for each skill worth 10 skill points... this means there's a lot of skill points to be had if you are truly obsessed.  icon_twisted

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: November 07, 2008, 08:52:48 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 07, 2008, 08:48:01 PM

At 15 points each level that means only 300 points - so only 3 skills maxed out.  Now there are some perks, books, etc. which can add extra points so that isn't exact but it does give you something to think about. 

If you have 10 int plus the perk that gives you 3 extra sp per level, that's 23 per level and then with the comprehension perk you get 2 skillpoints for each book and there are 25 books for each skill for 50 skill points plus a bobblehead for each skill worth 10 skill points... this means there's a lot of skill points to be had if you are truly obsessed.  icon_twisted

definitely.  and get that int bobblehead early on and you can bump it up even more.  save your books until you get comprehension and it's 50 points per skill, assuming you can find every one. 

you also start with each skill at 15, so it's really easy (in theory) to max out more than just your primary and two major skills.  repair is totally invaluable regardless which weapon you go with, and still useful for unarmed as you end up getting shot at much more than a ranged fighter would. 

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 07, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »

That is a lot of scrounging.   eek 

I guess my way of thinking of it is more for the casual build rather than a true hardcore player.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 08, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 07, 2008, 09:50:57 PM

That is a lot of scrounging.   eek 

I guess my way of thinking of it is more for the casual build rather than a true hardcore player.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd want to approach the game that way either.  On my first playthrough I doubt I found more than a few books or bobbleheads, even though I was pretty thorough when clearing out locations. 

In general the game combat oriented enough that I generally put 2/3 of my points the first several levels into my main combat skill and alternate the other 1/3 between my other tag skills.  Later you will have enough points to raise another combat skill if you want; I finished my first game with energy weapons at 100 even though it wasn't a tag skill.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 08, 2008, 12:31:22 AM »

so far i've been putting about 1/2 of my points into small arms and heavy weapons (i think thats what it is).   i've put quite a bit into repair as well....with a small mix into lockpicking, medical, and other things.   so far i'm loving it and i can see myself replaying this over a couple different times.   right now i'm kinda staying just with the main story so far.  i'll probably grab the guide over the weekend just as a good reference.

so where are these bobbleheads and skill books?   they just hidden around in places?   how early do you start to see them?   i just completed the quest with 3 dog....should i be seeing some now?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 08, 2008, 01:12:57 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 08, 2008, 12:31:22 AM

so far i've been putting about 1/2 of my points into small arms and heavy weapons (i think thats what it is).   i've put quite a bit into repair as well....with a small mix into lockpicking, medical, and other things.   so far i'm loving it and i can see myself replaying this over a couple different times.   right now i'm kinda staying just with the main story so far.  i'll probably grab the guide over the weekend just as a good reference.

so where are these bobbleheads and skill books?   they just hidden around in places?   how early do you start to see them?   i just completed the quest with 3 dog....should i be seeing some now?

It depends on how much exploring you do.  You can find a bobblehead before you even leave vault 101.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 08, 2008, 01:47:14 AM »

I am loving this game so far. The VATS system is an awesome way to do combat in a console shooter, especially since I am usually lost without keyboard/mouse. The leveling up is fun. Exploration is fun. Atmosphere is amazing. Easily GOTY so far. Sure, I'm only level 3 right now but I don't see myself getting tired of Fallout 3 for a long time.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: November 08, 2008, 02:23:43 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 08, 2008, 01:12:57 AM

Quote from: Xmann on November 08, 2008, 12:31:22 AM

It depends on how much exploring you do.  You can find a bobblehead before you even leave vault 101.

The bobbleheads and skill books are not hidden at all. They are all out in plain sight, you just have to keep your eyes open. Many of them are in out of the way places that you would never find if you just follow the main quests. Completing all the quests netted me 7 or 8 bobbleheads and 44 skill books.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 08, 2008, 04:36:52 AM »

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with building a character.   I know it sounds dumb, but I've played a melee character in literally every RPG as far back as I can remember.  However, it seems to me like that play style isn't viable in FO3.  Since nearly every enemy has a ranged weapon, I end up getting losing half my health just closing the gap to thump them.  Problem is, playing a ranged character is such a foreign gameplay concept for me, I haven't the foggiest idea of how to build one without completely gimping myself.  I don't really want to be a stealth or thief character per se, but I'd like to be adept with a gun.   I'm going to go back and respec before exiting the vault, so any suggestions on skills and perks would be very helpful.

As far as first impressions go, I got about 3.5 hours in and finished a bunch of the stuff in Megaton.  I'm really hoping the "Oblivion with a post-apocalyptic skin" feeling wears off.  I liked Oblivion, but after putting 60 or so hours into it, I don't really want to play it all over again.  Hopefully once I respec and get some decent ranged combat skills, it'll feel less like Oblivion and more like it's own game.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: November 08, 2008, 05:18:14 AM »

Melee is definitely a possibility, but you're gonna be beat up a LOT until you get some decent armor. I also haven't seen any uber-amazing melee weapons either (but I have seen quite a few guns).

And 'building' a ranged character is pretty easy - focus on a gun skill. I HIGHLY recommend that be Small Guns, especially the first time through. Keep in mind that the skill covers a lot of weapons you'll be using for a very large chunk of the game (pistols, rifles, shotguns, assault rifles), and you can always work on focusing on something bigger, like Big Guns, later down the line as you find them.

Since you'll be using a gun a lot, I HIGHLY recommend Repair as a second skill to focus upon. Gotta keep those guns in top shape to do the greatest amount of damage.

Additionally, Agility will give you more points for VATS, and Perception will increase your ranged skills. Neither stat is absolutely required to be above 5, keep in mind. Each point of Agility above/below 5 changes your VATS number by 2 (you start with 75 at 5 Agility). And I think Perception will give all weapon skills a whopping 1% change as you go above and below 5.

Beyond that, it'll start to come with you. Eventually, as you get properly 'built up', you'll find that you can run in and melee if you so choose to do so. But the game seems to be rather focused on ranged attacks of any kind.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 08, 2008, 05:27:00 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 08, 2008, 04:36:52 AM

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with building a character.   I know it sounds dumb, but I've played a melee character in literally every RPG as far back as I can remember.  However, it seems to me like that play style isn't viable in FO3.  Since nearly every enemy has a ranged weapon, I end up getting losing half my health just closing the gap to thump them.  Problem is, playing a ranged character is such a foreign gameplay concept for me, I haven't the foggiest idea of how to build one without completely gimping myself.  I don't really want to be a stealth or thief character per se, but I'd like to be adept with a gun.   I'm going to go back and respec before exiting the vault, so any suggestions on skills and perks would be very helpful.

Why not go melee + explosives?  Throw grenades to knock bad guys down at a distance, then close the gap and smashy smash.  Take three ranks of the Little Leaguer Perk to boost both skills 15 points.

Alternately, simply stop being the one to close the gap.  Just take a pot shot and wait behind a rock or to the side of a door frame.  They'll be forced to come into melee range in order to attack you.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 08, 2008, 05:31:01 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 08, 2008, 05:27:00 AM

Why not go melee + explosives?  Throw grenades to knock bad guys down at a distance, then close the gap and smashy smash.  Take three ranks of the Little Leaguer Perk to boost both skills 15 points.

Alternately, simply stop being the one to close the gap.  Just take a pot shot and wait behind a rock or to the side of a door frame.  They'll be forced to come into melee range in order to attack you.

Or they will be forced to fire a missile at the rock or door frame and blow you to hell and back...

icon_lol
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 08, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 08, 2008, 05:18:14 AM

Melee is definitely a possibility, but you're gonna be beat up a LOT until you get some decent armor. I also haven't seen any uber-amazing melee weapons either (but I have seen quite a few guns).

Isn't there some kind of piston-based 'power glove' out there?  icon_neutral

Yup! Found some video of it in use as well: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kkf5InkvI3Y

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: November 08, 2008, 04:10:41 PM »

Wow Im going glove for my next play trough as evil thats for sure.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 08, 2008, 08:37:06 PM »

The glove is for unarmed people, not melee.  Most melee people seem to prefer the "shishkebob" weapon that you have to make.  I know the schematics for that are available pretty early so it's really just a matter of rounding up the components.  If you don't/can't do that, the ripper is the best melee weapon and you can get them pretty early as well.

- American Dad
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 08, 2008, 09:54:59 PM »

As far as first impressions go, I got about 3.5 hours in and finished a bunch of the stuff in Megaton.  I'm really hoping the "Oblivion with a post-apocalyptic skin" feeling wears off.  I liked Oblivion, but after putting 60 or so hours into it, I don't really want to play it all over again.  Hopefully once I respec and get some decent ranged combat skills, it'll feel less like Oblivion and more like it's own game.

man, that sucks to hear. I was hoping to make a melee character for my next play through. However, I do think once you get up there and get some perks you can really do some damage. Especially if you have high stealth. I've though about making a melee/small arms. That way if things get rough I can back off a bit, or shoot the guns out of their hands before hand or something.

The biggest scare for me with melee is it'll be too much like oblivion, that is boring and with no feed back. Oblivion just felt like MASHTHEMOUSEWTF. at least with VATS and guns you can use some strategy. like shooting a rocket and having it explode in their face.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 08, 2008, 10:00:23 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 08, 2008, 03:38:00 PM

Yup! Found some video of it in use as well: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kkf5InkvI3Y

I found that glove.  I think it was in either the Arlington Library or the Jefferson Memorial.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 08, 2008, 11:18:17 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 08, 2008, 08:37:06 PM

The glove is for unarmed people, not melee.  Most melee people seem to prefer the "shishkebob" weapon that you have to make.  I know the schematics for that are available pretty early so it's really just a matter of rounding up the components.  If you don't/can't do that, the ripper is the best melee weapon and you can get them pretty early as well.

Super Sledge is insane for melee.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 08, 2008, 11:25:19 PM »

I'm really having a hard time with ammo in the game. Maybe I'm just wasting a lot of shots outside of VATS. Doesn't help that ammo sold is usually a cap a bullet. Or maybe it's because I've put the main quest on hold and am just wandering a bit.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 08, 2008, 11:27:09 PM »

I have a question. My apologies if this is really stupid, but I RTFM and most of this thread and don't see anything that points me in the right direction.

I have never played a Fallout game before and only picked it up because of the overwhelming buzz on this forum. So far I'm loving it, but I'm confused at how combat is supposed to work. For example, I was fighting two guards in the vault. I went into VATS and put a few bullets into one of them. When I ran out of AP I found myself running like a little girl away from them, waiting for my AP to regenerate. Is this the proper way to make use of the VATS system? Launch an offensive and then run away with your tail between your legs until you have more AP to fight back? Or am I doing it wrong?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 09, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 08, 2008, 11:27:09 PM

I have a question. My apologies if this is really stupid, but I RTFM and most of this thread and don't see anything that points me in the right direction.

I have never played a Fallout game before and only picked it up because of the overwhelming buzz on this forum. So far I'm loving it, but I'm confused at how combat is supposed to work. For example, I was fighting two guards in the vault. I went into VATS and put a few bullets into one of them. When I ran out of AP I found myself running like a little girl away from them, waiting for my AP to regenerate. Is this the proper way to make use of the VATS system? Launch an offensive and then run away with your tail between your legs until you have more AP to fight back? Or am I doing it wrong?

There is nothing that stops you from playing it as a first-person shooter type game while VATS recharges.  Keep in mind, though, that at lower levels the game adjusts for your character's skill so even if you think you lined up the shot perfectly, you may miss or not do much damage. 

On the other hand some people just do what you did, which is dodge and run and then go back into VATS.  Also, keep in mind that you don't have to wait for VATS to fully recharge, only enough that it allows you another aimed shot.

And this combat system is much different from what the earlier games had, so it's not about knowing "Fallout."   icon_wink

- American Dad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: November 09, 2008, 01:59:47 AM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on November 08, 2008, 11:25:19 PM

I'm really having a hard time with ammo in the game. Maybe I'm just wasting a lot of shots outside of VATS. Doesn't help that ammo sold is usually a cap a bullet. Or maybe it's because I've put the main quest on hold and am just wandering a bit.

Yeah, I had a problem too until I picked up the Perk that increases the amount of ammo you find in containers and such. Early on, firing outside of VATS tends to be a rather severe drain on your ammo, simply because you can't pinpoint things like limbs and heads (which causes more damage per bullet). As your skill increases though, you'll be able to get away with avoiding VATS more and more. I still use it more often than not simply because it's just so damn cool to watch.

Other things to keep in mind - constantly rotate weapons. As far as Small Guns go, there's like 6 different kinda of ammo for it. Also try to avoid using ammo on creatures that never carry any. Obviously there will be times you'll want a gun against the insects of the world, but a fist (or sledgehammer) tends to work quite well. Also (obviously) keep your weapon 'health' up by Repairing everything you can get your hands on. More damage per shot.

somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 09, 2008, 02:23:41 AM »

Just finished my first playthrough at about 50 hours, and I feel like I barely scratched the surface. Can't wait to dive back in, but as promised the little lady gets the tv for a week uninterrupted since I completely hogged it.

Great game, the whole time I was playing I was thinking of places I need to explore. Now that I know how everything works I'm going to plan out my next pass through and should really be able to build myself an interesting character.

I have to say, the ending was kinda weak, but, oh well. everything leading up to it was awesome.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 09, 2008, 02:29:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 08, 2008, 10:00:23 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 08, 2008, 03:38:00 PM

I found that glove.  I think it was in either the Arlington Library or the Jefferson Memorial.

i got two gloves today..both different but...(wait for it)....both pack one hell of a punch. disgust

Spoiler for Hiden:
one was from the flooded Metro,it was called the Shocker,and it is an experimental glove..that is so,so

the other was the power glove,i got that while finally doing another main quest(scientific pursuits)..which got me to travel to the Jefferson Merorial(so you were right about it being there CK)..that glove is a bit better,although i still prefer my Deathclaw Gauntlet

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 09, 2008, 05:19:31 AM »

Question: I've been avoiding reading this thread because I know that sometimes people let slip things they don't think are Spoilers.  I'm just starting the game and would like opinions about whether reading the entire thread, without opening any Spoilers marked as such, will ruin anything for me.  Mind, I've already looked at the guide, in something like the first hour, because (not really a spoiler if you've gotten past the birthday party early in the game):

Spoiler for Hiden:
I got into a fight with the idiot Butch, at the b'day party, and was unable to figure out what to do - because I was at the opposite end of the room from the guy who breaks up the fight.  That meant that I was just getting pummeled, because I also didn't know how to put up my fists to fight back, if you can even do that then...

I"m finding the learning curve - just to get into the game - to be a bit steep for me, but I know that will ease up as I learn the controls, so that's no big deal.  As soon as that is over, I'll likely be signing up for a 12 Step Program for FO3 addiction.  I'm just a bit overwhelmed right now, lol.  icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 09, 2008, 05:27:21 AM »

Man, I absolutely suck at this game.  About 6 hours in, and I just got to
Spoiler for Hiden:
GNR
.  Ended up having to turn it down to "very easy", and I'm still really struggling.  Thought I built my character OK for a small guns focus (pumped up Agility, tagged Small Guns & Repair, took the Gun Nut perk X3), but it seems like I'm still struggling to hit with any sort of regularity.  There have also been multiple times when I'm being shot at for a couple minutes before I can figure out where the hell they are, which drives me nuts.

Maybe this just isn't the game for me.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 09, 2008, 07:20:22 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 09, 2008, 05:27:21 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
GNR
.  Ended up having to turn it down to "very easy", and I'm still really struggling.  Thought I built my character OK for a small guns focus (pumped up Agility, tagged Small Guns & Repair, took the Gun Nut perk X3), but it seems like I'm still struggling to hit with any sort of regularity.  There have also been multiple times when I'm being shot at for a couple minutes before I can figure out where the hell they are, which drives me nuts.

are you reparing your gear yourself? the merchants have laughable skill so your damage will suck if you repair via them only. you have to keep your guns up to par, armor doesnt really matter much. also maybe you're too low for that zone? i'm not sure what the recommended should be, but i was around 13'ish. the whole event bugged out for me too. so i had to kill about 30 of those damn mutants myself, which wasnt easy and took forever. use VATS, even if you're a billion yards away, use VATS. a few mobs you dont wanna use vats on up close, like death claws. but the majority of time you will be using VATS. go for headshots or crippling their arms so they drop the guns.

i dunno i found this game pretty easy. if i play through i'll probably bump the difficulty.

or maybe cause you got the 360 Tongue
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 09, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
GNR

I would suggest taking some time to explore the wasteland.  Super Mutants are really tough, especially for a level 6.  Use VATS as much as possible.  What is your Perception at?  With a decent perception you will see red markers on your compass showing you where enemies are.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 09, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on November 09, 2008, 05:19:31 AM

I"m finding the learning curve - just to get into the game - to be a bit steep for me, but I know that will ease up as I learn the controls, so that's no big deal.  As soon as that is over, I'll likely be signing up for a 12 Step Program for FO3 addiction.  I'm just a bit overwhelmed right now, lol.  icon_eek

Myto,i would agree that the learning curve is steep,took me an hour or two to really get used to everything,but once you are there....

i would prolly say be Vigilant when reading this thread,i put up some stuff that pissed SensousLettuce off,even though i wasnt really aware it was that much of a spoiler..what spoilers are,is different for different people

and X is to get out/and put away your weapon(or in this case,put up your dukes)

i made level 17 last night,and have ..i think nearly 40 hrs in

i saw something as well about level 20 perk
Spoiler for Hiden:
i was looking at the perks for level 20,and there are some good ones,like gaining health in sunshine/day...but the one i think i will choose when i get there,will be the 'uncover/discover everything on your map' perk...then i can go to those locations and hopefully miss as little as possible in this game...as i am betting i still have a ton of stuff to discover in Oblivion

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 09, 2008, 01:02:52 PM »

I would like to chime in and say this game is incredibly addicting!  Just started it last night and I'm already absorbed in the game world and attached to my character.  I created a female character.  I'm still in the vault and loving this game!  I think the Arizona sun is getting to Pete because the entire vault sequence is fun as hell and really, really sets the story and tone for the game.  I'm afraid to leave the vault until I explore every nook and cranny.  I don't want to miss anything.  Is there only one bobblehead in the vault?

A question about an early encounter in the vault:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Was there any way to save Butch's mom or was it prescripted that she dies?  I delayed in getting to the room to help her out and hope the delay did not cost her life.  I felt really bad because despite the way Butch treated me I really wanted to help.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 09, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 09, 2008, 01:02:52 PM

I would like to chime in and say this game is incredibly addicting!  Just started it last night and I'm already absorbed in the game world and attached to my character.  I created a female character.  I'm still in the vault and loving this game!  I think the Arizona sun is getting to Pete because the entire vault sequence is fun as hell and really, really sets the story and tone for the game.  I'm afraid to leave the vault until I explore every nook and cranny.  I don't want to miss anything.  Is there only one bobblehead in the vault?

A question about an early encounter in the vault:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Was there any way to save Butch's mom or was it prescripted that she dies?  I delayed in getting to the room to help her out and hope the delay did not cost her life.  I felt really bad because despite the way Butch treated me I really wanted to help.

Spoiler for Hiden:
i saved her,you have to be fast to get the roaches...Butch is pretty cool with you after that..and yes,there is only one bobblehead in vault 101

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 09, 2008, 02:43:48 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 09, 2008, 07:20:22 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
GNR

are you reparing your gear yourself? the merchants have laughable skill so your damage will suck if you repair via them only. you have to keep your guns up to par, armor doesnt really matter much. also maybe you're too low for that zone? i'm not sure what the recommended should be, but i was around 13'ish. the whole event bugged out for me too. so i had to kill about 30 of those damn mutants myself, which wasnt easy and took forever. use VATS, even if you're a billion yards away, use VATS. a few mobs you dont wanna use vats on up close, like death claws. but the majority of time you will be using VATS. go for headshots or crippling their arms so they drop the guns.

i dunno i found this game pretty easy. if i play through i'll probably bump the difficulty.

Level 13?  Guess i do need to wander the wastelands for a bit, since I'm only at 7.  Feels like I've done quite a bit of exploring, but maybe not.  I got frustrated because I kept running short on ammo, so I figured I should try and get to the next story point and see if there are any vendors there.  I repair weapons myself and use VATS in almost every encounter, so I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time. 

or maybe cause you got the 360 Tongue

Trust me, there's not a chance in hell my dinosaur of a PC would run this game.  frown

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 09, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on November 09, 2008, 05:19:31 AM

Yeah, I had a couple of moments like that in the vault too.
One thing to keep in mind once you get outside. Fallout games traditionally (and this one is no different from what I've heard) will happily let you wander into a situation that's way over your head. So, if something seems too hard, don't sweat it too much, just go mess around with something else for a while.
I picked up a mission in the first town that took me to a place I really struggled with:
Spoiler for Hiden:
super-duper mart

I got through it, but it was really tough, and I worried the game was going to be too hard for me. Then, in talking with some of my employees and customers I found out that I actually had done really well to only die once at level 2 and that others had died lots of times or simply chosen to come back after they had gained a few levels. So I feel like I really accomplished something and I'm bristling with all kinds of loot I found in there.

Definitely make sure you choose at least one weapon type with your tag skills. Learn to use VATS early (it's fun as heck too) and if you have to kite a little bit while waiting for your AP to come back, go ahead.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: