http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 08:38:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 impressions thread  (Read 68439 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: November 05, 2008, 07:48:37 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 05, 2008, 07:45:52 PM

Anyone take Mysterious Stranger?  If you haven't, give it a shot when you're able.  One of my favorites smile

I wasn't planning on it for this playthrough but if you recommend it I'll be sure to grab it as soon as I hit the perk level.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 05, 2008, 07:57:25 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 05, 2008, 07:07:20 PM

Quote from: The Grue on November 05, 2008, 07:03:14 PM

I killed some monstrous brute guy who had a minigun by just keeping at his back.  It was a proud moment for me as the guy should have handed me my ass, but I outsmarted him.  I was out of ammo so I did it with a bat.

that sounds like a benny hill moment.

Do it to the tune of Queen's Having A Good Time and you've got yourself a Sean of the Dead moment.  smile

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 05, 2008, 07:59:50 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 05, 2008, 07:48:13 PM

Anyone take Mysterious Stranger?  If you haven't, give it a shot when you're able.  One of my favorites smile

it was tempting, but i think i'll reserve that for a second playthrough. 

+1.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: November 05, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on November 05, 2008, 07:57:25 PM

Quote from: Caine on November 05, 2008, 07:07:20 PM

Quote from: The Grue on November 05, 2008, 07:03:14 PM

I killed some monstrous brute guy who had a minigun by just keeping at his back.  It was a proud moment for me as the guy should have handed me my ass, but I outsmarted him.  I was out of ammo so I did it with a bat.

that sounds like a benny hill moment.

Do it to the tune of Queen's Having A Good Time and you've got yourself a Sean of the Dead moment.  smile

swap the super mutie for a feral ghoul or two and then it is.

btw, anyone find any in game references to zombie movies yet ala Those! 

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 05, 2008, 09:05:27 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 05, 2008, 07:48:37 PM

I wasn't planning on it for this playthrough but if you recommend it I'll be sure to grab it as soon as I hit the perk level.

Just remember you need at least to have your LUCK at 6 to get it.  The stranger is a great help, especially playing at the hard difficulty levels......when he appears it plays some pretty cool music.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

As luck would have it (nyuk nyuk) I just intensely trained my luck to 6 on my level 9 levelup in preparation for my eventual Better Crits perk, so perfect timing for Mysterious Stranger next level.

I'm trying to picture how one would train to improve luck.  I imagine it involves flipping a coin repeatedly with minor characters from Hamlet.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 05, 2008, 09:14:38 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 05, 2008, 07:17:56 PM

I don't know who sierra was. Didn't know there was a nuka cola quest. I've never heard of paradise falls. Don't know who Grouse is and specifically haven't looked at achievements for fear of spoilers.

ooookk,the nuka cola quest was first mentioned a few pages back,i didnt start that,suprising that you dont know about these quests or places as you have the guide,have you not looked into it?..i told you about Paradise falls because i made a major mistake,i didnt want anyone else to do the same and miss a quest,sorry...also,the guide lists the achievements,as well as looking into the achievements from your profile..although i think them hardly spoiler worthy,if they were spoiler worthy i reckon they would of been made into secret acheivements

there are quite a few things in this thread that i havent heard of for one
Spoiler for Hiden:
someone going on about Talon mercs camp with a big battle against Raiders and Robots,and the robots win..and what the hell is everyone going on about about taking mysterious stranger?,take him where and where is he?

but i still dont see that as major spoilage,i think you can expect some kind of spoilers(obviously not major ones)..but anyway i will spoiler anything i think will spoil anything in the game ..appologies Lettuce icon_smile

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 05, 2008, 09:22:58 PM »

Maybe we should do what the Qt3 and GWJ forums do and have both a spoiler-free "catch-all" thread as well as a "spoilers ho!" thread for games like this.  Seems to work pretty well.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 05, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 05, 2008, 09:22:58 PM

Maybe we should do what the Qt3 and GWJ forums do and have both a spoiler-free "catch-all" thread as well as a "spoilers ho!" thread for games like this.  Seems to work pretty well.

Well, unlike QT3 we do have spoiler tags. 

We do have a Fallout 3 spoiler thread though but such beasts are kind of difficult to manage because there is a huge gap between spoilering your two options with regard to Megaton versus, say, endgame material. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 05, 2008, 09:38:13 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 05, 2008, 09:11:18 PM

As luck would have it (nyuk nyuk)

That might be enough for me to put the wonderpug fan club avatar back up.... icon_mrgreen
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 05, 2008, 09:41:11 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 05, 2008, 09:22:58 PM

I think that would be nice.  I don't think there is so much traffic of new topics that another one or two would push anything important off the main page. 

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 05, 2008, 09:55:13 PM »

Sadly my luck is a bit too low to get it currently, and at lvl 18 I can't afford a perk to raise it then take it which would cause me to miss out on the lvl 20 perk.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 05, 2008, 09:58:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 05, 2008, 09:14:38 PM

...and what the hell is everyone going on about about taking mysterious stranger?,take him where and where is he?

Mysterious Stranger is a level 10 perk if you have Luck 6 or higher...makes a mysterious character randomly show up when you're using VATS to help you out in battle.  according to the guide, when you're attacking an enemy with less than 150 HP left, there's a 10% chance that the Mysterious Stranger will show up and finish them off.  the guide comments that it's most useful at higher difficulty levels, but is also entertaining and can save you ammo and AP.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: November 05, 2008, 11:45:52 PM »

Hey, Kathode, I just encountered a rather...weird, mini-'dungeon':

Spoiler for Hiden:
WTF was with the Shelter in DC filled with nothing but plungers, and evidence that somebody somehow used them to go climb up a wall? How they were placed was just perfect, and the book, coffee cup, Nuka-Cola and tin can stacked on top of a bunch of pencils was a very nice touch. That had to take somebody a LONG time to get to work. biggrin

And I just survived one mother of a 'big battle' scenario. I popped out of a Metro station, and found two different factions fighting it out. Of course, they're both hostile to me, so I had to take on the survivors. Then, just after I finished fighting, reinforcements arrived.

I remembered I had a Stealth Boy on me, so I turned that on, and then proceeded to get three sneak-crit insta-kill headshots with one 'turn' of VATS once I got closer (they were busy fighting my companions). DAMN did that feel good. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: November 05, 2008, 11:46:56 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 05, 2008, 09:55:13 PM

Sadly my luck is a bit too low to get it currently, and at lvl 18 I can't afford a perk to raise it then take it which would cause me to miss out on the lvl 20 perk.

have you found the lucky bobblehead?  that could help.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 06, 2008, 12:06:28 AM »

I lost Dogmeat to a Deathclaw, couldn't drop it fast enough, and he as usual charged straight in without letting me soften it up a bit.  I was, of course, very upset by this and proceeded to hunt down every deathclaw I could find in the area to put on his funeral pyre.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 06, 2008, 02:16:27 AM »

came across Dogmeat during my adventures this afternoon...neat introduction and some good dialog options when you first 'talk.'  i quit playing right after that, so i haven't had the chance to travel with him much yet, but it's cool to have a companion now.  i guess i'll just have to be careful not to get my new friend into more trouble than he can handle icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 06, 2008, 02:26:14 AM »

okay,not only is Walter 'missing' from Megaton now,but Moriarty has done one as well,it feels as though i am in a murder whodunit mystery

question on megaton/mr Burke
Spoiler for Hiden:
okay,i didnt blow Megaton up.....so what i wanna know is will i ever see Mr Burke again,i tried looking for him at Tenpenny tower but couldnt see him anywhere

i wanna find him for two reasons
1-i wanna steal his key to get into his Megaton house
2-i wanna murder the bastard for hireing Mercs to kill me....he called me a do gooder in the mercs contract!!

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2008, 02:58:53 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 05, 2008, 11:45:52 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
WTF was with the Shelter in DC filled with nothing but plungers, and evidence that somebody somehow used them to go climb up a wall? How they were placed was just perfect, and the book, coffee cup, Nuka-Cola and tin can stacked on top of a bunch of pencils was a very nice touch. That had to take somebody a LONG time to get to work. biggrin

lol, I have no idea what you're talking about.  The game is so big there's still a good deal of stuff even I haven't seen.  Some of the artists and LDs love to drop in crazy easter eggs like that. 
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 06, 2008, 04:35:32 AM »

Bobby pins!!! I'm almost out of them and can't seem to come across them. Where can I find these little wonders?

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2008, 05:24:37 AM »

Quote from: kathode on November 06, 2008, 02:58:53 AM

Quote from: Destructor on November 05, 2008, 11:45:52 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

lol, I have no idea what you're talking about.  The game is so big there's still a good deal of stuff even I haven't seen.  Some of the artists and LDs love to drop in crazy easter eggs like that. 

I found that as well... I was freaking out, looking at the ceiling expecting something to come flying down at me.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2008, 07:21:50 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2008, 02:26:14 AM

okay,not only is Walter 'missing' from Megaton now,but Moriarty has done one as well,it feels as though i am in a murder whodunit mystery

Spoiler for Hiden:
okay,i didnt blow Megaton up.....so what i wanna know is will i ever see Mr Burke again,i tried looking for him at Tenpenny tower but couldnt see him anywhere

2-i wanna murder the bastard for hireing Mercs to kill me....he called me a do gooder in the mercs contract!!

perhaps they get too close to the bomb? I wonder if that will kill them, with the radiation and all? stupid people building their town around a nuclear bomb, sigh...

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 06, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »

Quote from: Roscoe on November 06, 2008, 04:35:32 AM

Bobby pins!!! I'm almost out of them and can't seem to come across them. Where can I find these little wonders?

i have been on about a dozen all through the game,its been swings and roundabouts for me,just when i break a few,luck will have it i then find a few....mainly in first aid boxes scattered about,i wouldn't mind finding someone who sells them though

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 06, 2008, 02:25:52 PM »

Strange question, but how salty is the language in FO3?  I can get away with playing ultra-violent games when Mrs Gratch is around (she just reads a book or something), but she has an aversion to foul language and really doesn't like me playing games with a lot of cursing when she's around.  For example, since every other word was some variation of "fuck", I would have to wait until she left the house to play GTA IV.  Is that the case with FO3 as well?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 06, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 06, 2008, 02:25:52 PM

Strange question, but how salty is the language in FO3?  I can get away with playing ultra-violent games when Mrs Gratch is around (she just reads a book or something), but she has an aversion to foul language and really doesn't like me playing games with a lot of cursing when she's around.  For example, since every other word was some variation of "fuck", I would have to wait until she left the house to play GTA IV.  Is that the case with FO3 as well?

Every once in a while there's a curse word but it isn't that prevalent.  Some characters use a lot of language but most talk like regular folks.

As for Bobby Pins- Scavengers often have them and they can be found periodically in metal cases and such.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 06, 2008, 03:03:39 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2008, 08:10:35 AM

Quote from: Roscoe on November 06, 2008, 04:35:32 AM

i have been on about a dozen all through the game,its been swings and roundabouts for me,just when i break a few,luck will have it i then find a few....mainly in first aid boxes scattered about,i wouldn't mind finding someone who sells them though

Anyone know if there's an unbreakable bobby pin like the ubreakable lockpick in Oblivion?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 06, 2008, 03:13:48 PM »

Too bad there's not some way to transfer items to other players online.  I guess the lockpicking mechanic just 'clicks' for me (nyuk nyuk) because I hardly ever break a pin.  I must have 30 or 40 of them saved up at level 10.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 06, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 05, 2008, 11:43:52 AM

Quote from: kathode on November 05, 2008, 02:24:56 AM

Quote from: msduncan on November 04, 2008, 10:54:28 PM

Blood Ties help (Kathode!!!??)

Spoiler for Hiden:
According to the hint guide, you can kill the family before talking to Ian and successfully win the quest.     So I killed everyone and then talked to him and it looked like it was going to work.    I got all the way outside into the wastelands and BOOM... I failed the quest.   Tried it several times and got all the way back to the town and then I got the message that everyone was hostile and I failed the quest.

Help??   Can you actually do this or is the guide wrong?

Spoiler for Hiden:
There are definitely some quirks with how the factions work in that quest, but I know for certain you can kill everyone in that place and still complete it.  I've done it several times.  What did you talk to Ian about?  I believe I showed him the letter from Lucy and that worked out for me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Figured it out.   I was talking to Ian and then killing the last guard out in the tunnels on the way out.   Automatic fail.

It's funny how you can totally do things differently in this game.  Here's how I did the whole Blood Ties thing:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't kill a soul.  I have Lady Killer and talked to the prostitute in The Family and she gave me a code to get into Ian's room.  I talked to him and gave him the letter and he decided he was leaving.  I then went to Vance and struck a deal where Arefu would provide blood packs to The Family in exchange for their protection

Diplomacy FTW!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 06, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »

I actually like how it's handled in FO3 - there is an occasional curse word to make the world (and thecharacters) more believable, but nothing over the top gangsta style (I hate this kind of swearing in games too).
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 06, 2008, 04:02:14 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on November 06, 2008, 03:38:47 PM

I actually like how it's handled in FO3 - there is an occasional curse word to make the world (and thecharacters) more believable, but nothing over the top gangsta style (I hate this kind of swearing in games too).

I agree that it's handled fairly well, however they could have been eliminated entirely without loss of credibility. I was actually kind of disappointed with Bethesda for including the bad language, they have a whole new world to create and it would have been easy to convey the proper emotions without the questionable language.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 06, 2008, 04:26:56 PM »

It's official, Kathode is retiring and buying his own island.

From Joystiq:

Bethesda Softworks announced this morning that Fallout 3 has dropped 4.7 million units on retail and (Geiger) counted sales of over $300 million.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 06, 2008, 04:28:53 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2008, 04:26:56 PM

From Joystiq:

Bethesda Softworks announced this morning that Fallout 3 has dropped 4.7 million units on retail and (Geiger) counted sales of over $300 million.

I heard he bought the IP and modding rights to the world, and is considering turning it into Oblivion...

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 06, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »

From Joystiq:

so, I'm guessing we won't be seeing a sequel with such low sales......

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 06, 2008, 04:33:14 PM »

I hit level 18, and picked it because I didn't like the other level 18 perks.  Can't wait to see it in practice.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 06, 2008, 04:33:25 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 06, 2008, 03:17:00 PM

Quote from: msduncan on November 05, 2008, 11:43:52 AM

Quote from: kathode on November 05, 2008, 02:24:56 AM

Quote from: msduncan on November 04, 2008, 10:54:28 PM

Blood Ties help (Kathode!!!??)

Spoiler for Hiden:
According to the hint guide, you can kill the family before talking to Ian and successfully win the quest.     So I killed everyone and then talked to him and it looked like it was going to work.    I got all the way outside into the wastelands and BOOM... I failed the quest.   Tried it several times and got all the way back to the town and then I got the message that everyone was hostile and I failed the quest.

Help??   Can you actually do this or is the guide wrong?

Spoiler for Hiden:
There are definitely some quirks with how the factions work in that quest, but I know for certain you can kill everyone in that place and still complete it.  I've done it several times.  What did you talk to Ian about?  I believe I showed him the letter from Lucy and that worked out for me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Figured it out.   I was talking to Ian and then killing the last guard out in the tunnels on the way out.   Automatic fail.

It's funny how you can totally do things differently in this game.  Here's how I did the whole Blood Ties thing:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't kill a soul.  I have Lady Killer and talked to the prostitute in The Family and she gave me a code to get into Ian's room.  I talked to him and gave him the letter and he decided he was leaving.  I then went to Vance and struck a deal where Arefu would provide blood packs to The Family in exchange for their protection

Diplomacy FTW!

i took yet another route to finish Blood Ties...
Spoiler for Hiden:
during my conversation with Vance, i asked a lot of questions about what motivates The Family...learned what they were all about.  after that, i had the chance to ask a favor now that i understood them more...took advantage of the opportunity to get a few minutes with Ian.  Vance gave me the code to Ian's room and told me i could talk to him.  i talked ian into leaving The Family, then cut the protection deal with Vance...didn't kill a soul icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 06, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on November 06, 2008, 04:33:14 PM

I hit level 18, and picked it because I didn't like the other level 18 perks.  Can't wait to see it in practice.

I took and lol'ed the first time it went off.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 06, 2008, 05:40:35 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2008, 07:21:50 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2008, 02:26:14 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

perhaps they get too close to the bomb? I wonder if that will kill them, with the radiation and all? stupid people building their town around a nuclear bomb, sigh...

played today...and i found the Sherrif dead on the ramp next to the clinic,not sure but i am guessing he fell from above....so,i er...stole his hat and coat...I'm the NEW law in town,LOL

his son knows he is dead..
Spoiler for Hiden:
then i remembered that the sheriff could of been killed by Mr Burke,had i of grassed on Burke ..so i guess his son has taken on as though that happened

anyway,Megaton is starting to get empty of people i can actually talk to..Moriarty and Walter still havent showed up...i thought Nathaniel was also missing as his wife was asking for him and i couldnt find him,however he was in the clinic...actually he is always in the clinic..hmm
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:42:24 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 06, 2008, 06:24:52 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 06, 2008, 03:13:48 PM

I guess the lockpicking mechanic just 'clicks' for me (nyuk nyuk) because I hardly ever break a pin. 

I can't find the avatar photo I made or the fan club would be back in full effect.

I have 100 on lockpick and almost never break a pin.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: November 06, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »

as long as the random npc doesn't affect my questing, then i can live with a few random deaths in the context of the game. 

i ran into two bugs last night after stealing 3 skill books from a scavenger (what, they were there and she wasn't selling, and i have a jonesing for learning now) and fell into a space along a freeway wall.  i couldn't get out and couldn't shoot anyone either.  reload.  i forgot to equip my good armor and took a ton of damage from her rocket so i reloaded again and it froze when i hit the button.  damn, full restart.  i hadn't played more than 45 minutes at this point, so i really hope it's not an early sign of another rrod. 

i found andale and that town just creeps me out.  not sure why, but everyone is just happy go lucky and not obviously crazy like the wife in arefu.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: November 06, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2008, 04:30:54 PM

From Joystiq:

so, I'm guessing we won't be seeing a sequel with such low sales......

Tongue

I'm soooo different as a gamer than most I guess because obviously from these sales numbers everyone loves this game, but I got mindnumbingly bored within two hours.  For example, I go get this whatyamecallit that is supposed to be strapped to this bomb in Megaton to blow it up.  I take this thingie and go to the bomb and it won't let me attach it.  I cover every square inch of the thing trying to use or attach or whatever I am supposed to do to it, but no go.  Soooo, now what?  With zero direction on what I should be doing next, I quit.  While I tooootally understand people soaking up the atmosphere and escape of entering this world I just don't have the time what with work, house chores, time with family, grocery shopping, etc to spending 10 hours roaming around to find out what I am supposed to do for this one quest.  And that is just one of God knows how many others I would end up being in the same boat on.  Am I the only one that has to rake leaves, walk the dogs, paint that bedroom, wash the car, work 40-50 hours a week, go out with wife, etc etc etc?

I guess I'm just a rare bird or something, and to be honest I wish I wasn't as everything I READ about Fallout I think is cool.  It's just the execution that bogs me down.  Alas.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: