http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 08:28:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 impressions thread  (Read 68253 times)
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 29, 2008, 02:37:27 PM

Okay, I must of missed it...

How do I run?

How do I 'holster' weapons?  I've got them hotkeyed, and I can put up my gun..but then I walk around with my fists, until I hit a loading screen.  Can I put up my fists? err.. uhm...put them down I mean?

Has anyone else found the Overseer's Sealed orders yet?  I want to know what Vault 101's experiment was....  (See the Penny Arcade comics done for Fallout 3 for more info.)

1) You can't run, but if you get overloaded you walk MUCH slower. Also you can move faster if you don't have a weapon drawn and aren't wearing heavy armor.

2) On the 360 you holster and draw by holding down the "X".

3) Sheesh, I have no idea.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Silky
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »

Quote from: jament on October 29, 2008, 03:58:24 PM

Eight hours in and I'm really enjoying the game.  They did an amazing job capturing the desolation of that world and the attention to detail is outstanding.  I saw a broken windmill in the distance and the blades were still rotating slowly back and forth in the wind.    Here's some experiences and questions:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Did anyone else want to go back upstairs and try your BB Gun out on Butch after getting it from your Dad?
After nuking Megaton for Burke, I have a fantastic suite at the Tenpenny Towers, though the old people and guards sort of creeped me out so I got rid of them.  The lobby is now decorated with some heads and headless bodies but the hot ladies left in the building don't seem to mind.  I want to move into Tenpenny's suite because it's nicer but his bed still shows red to me.  Is there any way to fix that?  His sniper rifle is an awesome weapon - I just need to find more ammo for it.
Between the Towers, betraying the Ghouls and nuking Megaton, I'm now Completely Evil.  The whole idea of the Ghouls is awesome - I hope I find more of them out there somewhere.
Some of the Karma penalties are kind of odd.  I lost Karma for killing the Ghouls but gained it for killing Tenpenny, even though he didn't seem that evil - and the head ghoul was planning on killing everyone in the tower.  
Has anyone found any bobbleheads yet?  The suite has a bobblehead display center and I'd like something to put in it.

The repair mechanic is great.  With most RPGs, half of the loot is worthless because you already have studded armor or a baseball bat or whatever.  So, being able to combine those items to repair them makes them valuable and is a stroke of genius.  I love that.

The ragdoll physics are also fun.  I wish I could climb or jump more but other than that, it's a blast to be able to knock enemies off of obstacles or blast them into walls, up to the ceiling and over barriers.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
I found a +10 to medical bobblehead in the medical room in vault 101 before I left
Rowdy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2008, 04:23:49 PM »

Anyone else have a hard time reading the pip-boy?  That's my only complaint so far.  Even on my 46" HD, the writing doesn't seem crisp.  I found myself squinting at the screen a few times.  I wish the font was bigger, or that the pip-boy itself took up more of the screen.  Am I missing something obvious?  Everything else (ie. captioning, etc.) is very crisp and legible.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2008, 04:24:41 PM »

Happy to read the positive impressions.  We did our launch party for the team last night in DC and had a great time.  I just woke up smile

Don't forget the help pages you can get to from the start or escape menus if you're wondering about some feature.  Chances are you can find info in there as well as the manual or guide.  Repair is definitely a great skill to have, but it works differently from most games as some have pointed out.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on October 29, 2008, 04:23:49 PM

Anyone else have a hard time reading the pip-boy?  That's my only complaint so far.  Even on my 46" HD, the writing doesn't seem crisp.  I found myself squinting at the screen a few times.  I wish the font was bigger, or that the pip-boy itself took up more of the screen.  Am I missing something obvious?  Everything else (ie. captioning, etc.) is very crisp and legible.

I'm having the same issue, but that's more attributable to my old eyes than anything else.  I did switch the text color on my pipboy to white and that seems to have helped.  

p.s. I found this passage in the gamespot review to be a bit disappointing:

Just be sure to explore them fully before pushing the story forward: Once it ends, the game is over, which means that you'll need to revert to an earlier saved game if you intend to explore once you finishe the main quest.

In oblivion, i enjoyed finishing quests with my character after the main story was completed.  it seems I may have to do this with a new character in Fallout 3.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:36:14 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2008, 04:36:57 PM »

It's good to know you can kill anyone at anytime.

Minor megaton spoiler:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Moriarty offered to sell me info on pops. I said no and then reconsidered and he raised the price.  I ended the dialogue, pulled my gun and blew his head off.  His staff didn't take kindly to that, but I dealt with them too.

I reloaded, as obviously that's not what I would do and it's too early to have to shoot my way out of the first town...but it was fun to do.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2008, 04:40:09 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 29, 2008, 04:24:50 PM

In oblivion, i enjoyed finishing quests with my character after the main story was completed.  it seems I may have to do this with a new character in Fallout 3.

Yeah we argued a lot about it.  Keep in mind though that Oblivion is actually an exception to the rule, really.  Most games end once you finish them smile  Just maintain a couple saves and you won't have any problem.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2008, 04:42:27 PM »

Quote from: kathode on October 29, 2008, 04:40:09 PM

Yeah we argued a lot about it.  Keep in mind though that Oblivion is actually an exception to the rule, really.  Most games end once you finish them smile  Just maintain a couple saves and you won't have any problem.

Or just don't follow the main story?
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2008, 04:52:13 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 29, 2008, 04:42:27 PM

Maybe, but there's good stuff in the main story! 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2008, 04:58:26 PM »

So here's my $60 question - if I couldn't really get in to Oblivion, should I bother trying this, or is it significantly different? I'd say the things I didn't like about Oblivion were:

1) the combat - melee combat with one single swinging move, so it relied mostly on your weapon and stats and not on your skill (as opposed to say, God Of War style combos and evasion)
2) too much exploration - you could go into a lot of large dungeons that had no purpose other than to provide loot

I'm not judging the game, mind you, just saying what fits within my playing style. Is this basically Oblivion with guns or something different?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2008, 05:03:56 PM »

Totally, totally different.  Oblivion is great fun with a sort of "if you can get into that kind of game" qualifier, but Fallout 3 is just plain fantastic awesome.  Based on first impressions, of course.

I'd say it has much more in common with KOTOR than it does with Oblivion.  Much more like really roleplaying than just being set free in a sandbox.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2008, 05:04:43 PM »

Quote from: kathode on October 29, 2008, 04:52:13 PM

It'll always be there though right?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2008, 05:33:46 PM »

Quote from: kathode on October 29, 2008, 04:40:09 PM

I'm sure I'll end up just creating a new character once I finish the main storyline and then head off to parts unknown, avoiding that part of the game in favor of the "road less traveled".   i just found it odd that bethesda went this route in light of previous releases.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2008, 05:53:11 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 29, 2008, 05:04:43 PM

Quote from: kathode on October 29, 2008, 04:52:13 PM

It'll always be there though right?

I'd be floored if the game did 'turn off' the main questline without warning. That's just not how Bethesda's games run.

And something tells me that it'll be pretty obvious when you're going to hit the 'point of no return' in the game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »

So far, the only real difficulty I'm having is using the map.  I can't seem to figure out where to go or how to get there once I'm in town...even with the arrows and the hash marks.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2008, 06:18:25 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 29, 2008, 03:33:52 PM

A few tidbits:

5) Stealth works GREAT for initial shots, as you have a guaranteed critical hit if you hit them with your first shot out of stealth. Sneaking around is very useful.

the game says this, the manual says this, and the guide says this.... but it isn't true. frown  Seems there is a high chance of stealth critical hit if you aren't detected, but I've had many (MANY) times when I was still undetected and failed to get a stealth critical.  I'm almost always sneaking and I have almost 100 in sneaking and it's still the same.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2008, 06:20:28 PM »

Anyone else see this blurb from the Gamespot review?  How did we get from "slightly inferior" to "shockingly inferior"?  Curious if the people playing the PS3 version can confirm or deny this.

Quote from: Gamespot
It’s a shame, in light of these impressive design elements, that the PlayStation 3 version is shockingly inferior to the others from a technical perspective. Although the Xbox 360 and PC versions display the occasional visual oddity and bland texture, these nitpicks are easy to overlook. Sadly, the jagged edges, washed-out lighting, and slightly diminished draw distance of the PS3 release aren’t so easy to dismiss. We also experienced a number of visual bugs on the PS3. Character faces disappeared several times, leaving only eyeballs and hair; limbs on robots went missing; some character models had an odd outline around them as if they were cel-shaded; and the day-to-night transition may cause odd streaks on the screen as you move the camera around. This version doesn’t even offer trophies, whereas the Xbox 360 and PC versions offer Xbox Live/Windows Live achievements.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2008, 06:36:52 PM »

If you're just comparing graphics, it's slightly inferior.  If you also throw in glitches and  lack of achievements, then it becomes shocking.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »

Quote from: skystride on October 29, 2008, 06:36:52 PM

If you're just comparing graphics, it's slightly inferior.  If you also throw in glitches and  lack of achievements, then it becomes shocking.

Though not too shocking considering that M$ is waging a guerilla campaign against Sony through the software.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2008, 06:53:54 PM »

Quote from: skystride on October 29, 2008, 06:36:52 PM

Only to people who expect the PS3 version to work well.  Sad that so many of the PS3 versions of games seem to get less focus during creation.  It's almost like the devs dont' want it to succeed as a game platform. frown
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2008, 06:56:16 PM »

Seems I'm the only 'very evil' on my friend's list. frown

I'm a Reaver
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »

I know I have seen some of you guys request it and now there is a chance for you to own your very own Brotherhood of Steel Statue , which is up for auction.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 29, 2008, 05:03:56 PM

Totally, totally different.  Oblivion is great fun with a sort of "if you can get into that kind of game" qualifier, but Fallout 3 is just plain fantastic awesome.  Based on first impressions, of course.

I'd say it has much more in common with KOTOR than it does with Oblivion.  Much more like really roleplaying than just being set free in a sandbox.

thanks for that smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2008, 07:32:14 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 29, 2008, 02:04:05 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 29, 2008, 01:41:02 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 28, 2008, 09:46:51 PM

so i would also like to know the answer to this one,as i have seen both are gonna be for sale come this Friday..i am in England so i was wondering if i should part ex another game to make up for the CE strat guide

I can't recall the specifics but Kathode laid out the changes IIRC so maybe do a search of his posts?  From what I remember of his description, the CE has a lot of really, really great bonus material and background.  It was enough to get me to order it. 

yup.  exactly what i did

relevant quote
Decided to purchase the special Pre-War Collector’s Edition? Then, aside from a Hardback cover and a bigger map poster, you get an extra section packed with exclusive art, team interviews, additional team tactics, easter egg information, a half-dozen “Wasteland Wanderers” showcasing the entertaining and sometimes frightening way some of Bethesda’s team cultivated their characters, all finished off rather pleasantly by an Afterword by Moira Brown. Who’s she? Owner of the Craterside Supply, don’t you know.

Ready your coffee table for reinforcement; the Pre-War Collector’s guide clocks in at 498 pages.

relevant link

thanks for that guys,i just went down after work and pre-ordered the game and the Collectors edition of the guide

even though,i dont go mad with the guides and use them at every step,it will be great to have,although i remember being gutted for my Oblivion guide when shivering isles(and the rest)expansions came out,and my guide didnt have them..i have been meaning to pick up the revised edition of the Oblivion guide,as i still have the game and its one of those games that one day i will definelty have to go back to,start again etc...hopefully just like this game will be

and i am enjoying reading everyones impressions...i can't wait until Friday,i should of booked the day off work)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2008, 07:37:04 PM »

Hell, after reading through this thread I may just have to replay the opening sequence. I think I missed some useful stuff.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2008, 07:43:23 PM »

I'm 5 hours in and have only done 4 quests! 

I also am having a hard time with reading the pip-boy.  I might change up the default color and see if it helps.

I really love the game world.  What an awesome creation with such attention to detail.  I am excited for Dogmeat I hope he comes soon.  No one tell me though, I'll get him soon enough!
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2008, 07:49:10 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 29, 2008, 06:08:28 PM

So far, the only real difficulty I'm having is using the map.  I can't seem to figure out where to go or how to get there once I'm in town...even with the arrows and the hash marks.

The sticks control zoom and panning.  When you move the cursor over a location, pressing 'A' will let you fast travel, if you've discovered that location.  Pressing 'X' (I think) sets a marker which is displayed on your HUD compass.  In the local map, it should show all the nearby buildings and give a little description.  I've found it fairly easy to navigate so far.  my only complaint is the relatively small size onscreen, I keep wishing for a full-screen map.  But the Pip-Boy interface makes that little gameplay method fairly logical.

The only trouble I've had is going to a map location, and the map shows I'm right on top of a dwelling, but there's obviously nothing there.  Eventually I realized that the dwelling was actually up on an overpass right above me, instead of down on the ground where I was.  Nothing major.

XBox Live:  JNacht
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »

One of the things that has impressed me so far is that aside from Bioshock I can't think of a game that has gotten me so emotionally involved - and in Bioshock it still took me a few hours to become "attached" to my moral decisions.

One of the decisions I made early in the game genuinely made me feel terrible - to the point I almost reloaded right then and there. I find myself agonizing over dialogue choices. It's really awesome. If the game does nothing else, I think it represents another step forward in making games as emotionally involving a medium as movies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 29, 2008, 07:43:23 PM

I also am having a hard time with reading the pip-boy.  I might change up the default color and see if it helps.

I really love the game world.  What an awesome creation with such attention to detail.  I am excited for Dogmeat I hope he comes soon.  No one tell me though, I'll get him soon enough!

To get Dogmeat, you have to let him out of the cage in the starting area in Vault 101.   If you've left and they've locked the vault door behind you, there's no going back.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 29, 2008, 07:54:03 PM

To get Dogmeat, you have to let him out of the cage in the starting area in Vault 101.   If you've left and they've locked the vault door behind you, there's no going back.

Aw man really?  I'd hate to have to start over but no way am I going to keep going without him.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2008, 07:55:21 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 29, 2008, 07:52:41 PM

One of the things that has impressed me so far is that aside from Bioshock I can't think of a game that has gotten me so emotionally involved - and in Bioshock it still took me a few hours to become "attached" to my moral decisions.

One of the decisions I made early in the game genuinely made me feel terrible - to the point I almost reloaded right then and there. I find myself agonizing over dialogue choices. It's really awesome. If the game does nothing else, I think it represents another step forward in making games as emotionally involving a medium as movies.

I concur.    I'm goint to *try* to go back and be a hardass tonight.   Perhaps not evil, but at least someone that is willing to steal and kill to survive.   It's going to be *tough* for me, I'm sure.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2008, 07:56:08 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 29, 2008, 07:55:11 PM

Aw man really?  I'd hate to have to start over but no way am I going to keep going without him.

Nah I was just kidding.  slywink

Your quick response made me realize that my joke might make someone delete and start over.  DON'T.   I was kidding!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 29, 2008, 07:56:08 PM

Your quick response made me realize that my joke might make someone delete and start over.  DON'T.   I was kidding!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!  Man you totally had me!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2008, 07:58:38 PM »

As for how I am playing, I am doing a little of how I would do it normally and a little of how I would expect someone who has been sheltered all their life would react to the outside wasteland.  Pretty much a goodie-goodie.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 29, 2008, 07:57:39 PM

Quote from: msduncan on October 29, 2008, 07:56:08 PM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!  Man you totally had me!

Me too. I was like WTF? Did I miss a room?  But I wasn't going to start over no matter how much I wanted him... icon_lol
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2008, 08:08:16 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 29, 2008, 02:32:22 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 29, 2008, 02:13:12 PM

I'm basically playing it to my personality type. Whatever I think I'd do in a situation I do.

I typically play RPGs this same way.  And it seems that a majority of my choices are good in nature.  No matter how entertaining a game might be if I were to play as an evil character, to this day I have been unable to bring myself to do so. 

ha same here. although being the good person has it perks. you get some gifts and stuff.

i like how the GNR tells about what's going on in the world and the stuff you've done.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »

You're KIDDING. You just have to be. Please?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 29, 2008, 08:20:33 PM

You're KIDDING. You just have to be. Please?

Who's kidding, me or MSD?  I was serious I would start over, but MSD was kidding, you don't let him out in the vault.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2008, 08:35:26 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 29, 2008, 08:22:54 PM

Who's kidding, me or MSD?  I was serious I would start over, but MSD was kidding, you don't let him out in the vault.

MSD. Hey, MSD - don't do things like that!

And even though I saw her retraction up above, when a post moves as quickly as this one is right now, you tend to miss things like that.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2008, 09:09:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 29, 2008, 08:35:26 PM

And even though I saw her retraction up above, when a post moves as quickly as this one is right now, you tend to miss things like that.

icon_lol

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: