http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:44:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 impressions thread  (Read 67832 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 05:29:12 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2008, 05:27:15 PM

Quote from: mikeg on October 28, 2008, 05:14:30 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 28, 2008, 02:35:12 PM

Slightly worse.  From what I've read, you probably would never know unless you played the two SKUs side by side or one right after the other.  So anyone with a preference for PS3 versions of games probably shouldn't hesitate to buy it.  But all other things being equal, the 360 version is superior. 

I'm still getting the PS3 version.  I don't trust the 360 as far as I can throw.  I am done buying games for it except where I must (Gears 2).  Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you, fool me three times, God, I'm a dumb ass, fool me four times....

I took a chance.    Lack of Trophies was the tipping point for me.    I recently got my 360 replaced, so I'm hoping it will hold out for me to complete this one.

Replaced with a new chipset?  You will probably be fine.  Fingers crossed.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »

Kathode said not too long ago through careful choice of words that the 360 only gets the DLC first, but the PS3 isn't excluded from DLC. [and will in all likelyhood get some later].

FO3 was in development well before the trophy firmware update was released to developers.  No word on whether it'll be patched for it but that's unlikely.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »

My lunchbox edition was waiting on my chair when I got to work this morning.  Amazon release day delivery to my office FTW!

Now, if only they'd get me my damn copy of Little Big Planet.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2008, 05:36:19 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 28, 2008, 05:14:44 PM

Anyone know how long after WW III this takes place? I've never played any Fallout games and the backstory is kind of interesting, so I would like some more info on it. I'm guessing WW III was in the 50's from the look of everything.

According to the Fallout Wiki...

October 23, 2077 the Great War begins with someone's nuke launch and ends 2 hours later when the earth falls into darkness

2141 Vault 15 opens and the Vault Dweller emerges (Fallout 1)

2197 Fallout Tactics happens (but I thought it was non-canon)

2241 Fallout 2 happens

2277 Fallout 3 begins
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2008, 05:38:12 PM »

Oh man it's waiting for me at home!  TIME JUST STOPPED AT WORK!  crybaby
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 28, 2008, 01:40:22 PM

Uber-awesome graphic to follow, but my review is live!

http://gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1118

great review

question :i know it shows the 360 cover art up near the top,but is that the review for the 360 version?,its just that one of the pros says
Pros:
Extremely quick load times

and i wanted to make sure this was still the 360 version we are talking about,LOL

we have had a lot of commercials for this on our (UK)TV,and it looks great,the part it shows is the part where he walks along with his dog,and it reminded me so much of Mad Max 2(i think it was called The Road Warrior in the states...Mel Gibson Flick anyway..see below)

i am hoping i can dress my character up like this..and live out my Post-apocalyptic fantasies

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2008, 05:49:47 PM »

Heh, the default leather armor was exactly the Road Warrior's armor.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2008, 05:50:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 28, 2008, 05:36:19 PM

Anyone know how long after WW III this takes place? I've never played any Fallout games and the backstory is kind of interesting, so I would like some more info on it. I'm guessing WW III was in the 50's from the look of everything.

October 23, 2077 the Great War begins with someone's nuke launch and ends 2 hours later when the earth falls into darkness

2241 Fallout 2 happens

2277 Fallout 3 begins

Thanks man, neat site.

WOW, I had no idea it took place in the future.  eek Everything looks like it is right out of 1955 America.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2008, 05:52:42 PM »

Got my lunchbox edition for the 360, plus the regular guide (they didn't have the special guide and I didn't pre-order). Just got through the G.O.A.T. I am really, really enjoying the whole experience. Freaking brilliant immersion into the story.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2008, 05:57:31 PM »

The pip-boy clock is pretty no frills, it has AM and PM and that's about it. It is wearable though the latch won't hold long on it's own and if you have any kind of forearm muscle it's a bit tight. It has a knob and dial that turn to no effect and 3 buttons for setting the time. There's a little gauge that properly points in the direction of gravity.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2008, 06:12:36 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 28, 2008, 05:57:31 PM

The pip-boy clock is pretty no frills, it has AM and PM and that's about it. It is wearable though the latch won't hold long on it's own and if you have any kind of forearm muscle it's a bit tight. It has a knob and dial that turn to no effect and 3 buttons for setting the time.

Some guy posted pics here if anyone wants to see it "in the flesh." 

There's a little gauge that properly points in the direction of gravity.
icon_lol Hey you never know when that could come in handy!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 06:13:57 PM »

well, despite my intentions, i did in fact get this last night and put in about two hours worth (eyes drooping as we speak)  due to a late night shopping trip that my wife cooked up at 11pm.  i waited until her plan was good and solid and then sprung the "btw, i think i'll pick something up while i'm out" on her.  all told, i got about 3 complete rotations of her eyes last night, but it was worth it.  stood in line about 15 minutes before they started off and was the 4th person buying it.  good timing.  

i was able to play a bit, while skipping the manual (of course).  glad to see that you get the 11th hour respec ala oblivion just before you leave the vault.  i may do that once i have read up in the manual.  kathode, please give a big thank you to whomever was responsible for making the manual and for those who decided to make it as large as it was.  big  thumbsup

i loved the "first sight of the outside" world moment.  nice touch.  i had a huge grin when i heard who was on the enclave radio station.  awesome choice right there.  view distance is very nice and as a future sniper/stalker, appreciated.  found a few small details on my trek over to megaton and it is a great looking game, putting it right alongside gta4 in overall immersion.  small loads into buildings and little to no loads back out.  not perfect, and i would have loved to see seamless buildings in the outside world at least as i feel the split from outside/inside breaks the immersion.  

took two quests while in the town and watched the sun set.  man it does get nasty dark at night and i didn't feel well equipped to be out by myself right then, but i did not find the right person to rent a bed for the night.  i did go out slightly before dawn and found my first quest target.  i see several ways that bit could be resolved which is a huge improvement over oblivion.  not just a black and white choice either, but multiple methods to get the job done.  sweet.

i found a few scattered enemies and with my perception at 7, able to choose my encounters.  too bad it couldn't improve my own perception as by the time i approached the second quest target, i was spotted by a demon dog and a rifle toting bandit.  i think they were fighting each other, but the dog made me as an easier target and attacked me instead.  i backpedaled from the bandit while firing off rifle shots (which all missed due to me running like mad) and i was finding it hard to select either the pistol or my trusty baseball bat and taking a lot of damage.  i popped a stimpack (these things will be critically important early game) and thought i could turn it around.  well, apparently, the bandit's buddy was coming back from a hunting trip or something as he caught me by surprise and promptly turned me into the wasteland's newest piece of burnt corpse with his flamethrower.  oh well, at least the dog had a hot meal.  

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 06:16:45 PM »

Strangely enough, my Gamestop gave me a call this morning just after they opened saying that their preorders of the CE PC version were shorted. But thankfully their DM was going hunting for PC copies and to check back later.

Unfortunately I'm at work. Bloody job.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »

Came into work at 6:30 this morning so I could leave early.  Picking up a copy of the game at CC as well as a giant burrito at a nearby Baja Fresh on my way home.  After that, I'm out of reach for the night.   icon_biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2008, 06:39:21 PM »

The pip-boy clock is pretty no frills, it has AM and PM and that's about it. It is wearable though the latch won't hold long on it's own and if you have any kind of forearm muscle it's a bit tight. It has a knob and dial that turn to no effect and 3 buttons for setting the time. There's a little gauge that properly points in the direction of gravity.

Amazon hasn't even shipped mine.  WTF?  I ordered it the day it was available and have Prime.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 07:26:26 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 28, 2008, 06:39:21 PM

Amazon hasn't even shipped mine.  WTF?  I ordered it the day it was available and have Prime.

They like me better?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 07:51:54 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 28, 2008, 06:32:04 PM

Came into work at 6:30 this morning so I could leave early.  Picking up a copy of the game at CC as well as a giant burrito at a nearby Baja Fresh on my way home.  After that, I'm out of reach for the night.   icon_biggrin

You live a crazy life, hep.   slywink
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 07:54:05 PM »

My first impressions:

1.  I have no idea how my Gamestop stays in business.    The manager is an unprofessional idiot.   He's the type of guy you'd expect to get drunk at a family party and hit on your wife.     Don't get me wrong -- he was nice enough, but that's the impression he gives.

2.  There's something satisfying about the look and feel of the lunchbox.     Very nice decision.   The bobble head is a tad on the cheap side, but still acceptable.

3.  The traffic from work to the Gamestop and back was light.    No accidents.    Thumbs up.

4.  The work day has been uneventful.    This is both good and bad.   Good because I haven't been stressing today, but bad because the time is passing agonizingly slow until I get to play Fallout 3.    
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »

I put about 45 minutes in and I'm finding the introductory sections to be a bit long.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2008, 08:14:28 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 28, 2008, 08:03:24 PM

I put about 45 minutes in and I'm finding the introductory sections to be a bit long.

yeah, i have to agree with you there SL.  of course, i missed something while going through it (lockpicking) and of course, you don't have to redo it unless you want to thanks to the respec option, so it's not too much a pita.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Darth Homer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 08:15:08 PM »

Got the 360 Collector's Edition at Best Buy this morning.

90 minutes until I can get out of the office to play.

Quick question, for those that have the CE strat guide, is there enough additional content to justify the extra $10?  I'm sure that sounds cheap after shelling out $79 for the CE game, just curious, I guess.

Brian

XBL Gamertag: Dirhael
PSN: Dirhael
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 08:17:32 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 28, 2008, 03:30:15 PM

Quote from: Jag on October 28, 2008, 03:29:30 PM

Quote from: Octavious230 on October 28, 2008, 02:50:07 PM

Hmm I'm getting tempted to try and switch for the PC version. My computer should run it pretty well. Guess it will depend on if they have any PC collectors editions to swap it with..

The deciding issue for me between PS3 and PC is the controls. I'm not a fan of FPS on Consoles. How does F3 stand up against the PC in the control dept?

I'll have my PC copy today, but with V.A.T.S. playing such a big part of the game, I'd say fine grain control won't be a huge issue for you.

I'm really interested to hear what you think of the PC version in comparison to the 360 version.  I'm so torn at the moment I haven't been able to buy it yet!
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2008, 08:20:24 PM »

Was pleasantly surprised to notice that the manual is very beefy, and has a grand total of 2 non-game info pages: the insides of the front and back cover.  Not as impressive as the Fallout 1+2 spiral-bound manuals, but getting one of those in the DVD case would have required some bending of space-time. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 08:25:56 PM »

If the CE had included a spiral bound manual I probably would have bought that edition just for old time's sake. 
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2008, 08:26:27 PM »

Quote from: Darth Homer on October 28, 2008, 08:15:08 PM

Quick question, for those that have the CE strat guide, is there enough additional content to justify the extra $10?  I'm sure that sounds cheap after shelling out $79 for the CE game, just curious, I guess.

As noted elsewhere, it's only $20.99 at Amazon unless you need that instant grabification a store purchase gives one.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2008, 08:32:41 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 28, 2008, 05:50:28 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 28, 2008, 05:36:19 PM

2241 Fallout 2 happens

2277 Fallout 3 begins

Thanks man, neat site.

WOW, I had no idea it took place in the future.  eek Everything looks like it is right out of 1955 America.

From what I've read, it's always been meant to be a 50's "vision of the future" future.

-craig

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2008, 08:45:41 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 28, 2008, 08:32:41 PM

From what I've read, it's always been meant to be a 50's "vision of the future" future.

Yup! Fallout has always been about what someone living in the 50s would imagine a post-apocalyptic future would look like. That's one of the reasons the spinoffs of the Fallout universe failed. They didn't understand this very vital concept to the setting. Fallout Tactics (despite being a good game) for example, started out its intro with 70s music, and featured modern sci-fi elements all the way through. That's not something you should expect to see in a Fallout game, ever. Bethesda seems to understand the core concept, which is good.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »

Quote from: Darth Homer on October 28, 2008, 08:15:08 PM

according to GAME(my local store)

they have this to say about the strat guides

Fallout 3 Official Strategy Guide Features:

A gigantic tour of the Capital Wasteland with over 100 maps showing every area in the game, including Megaton, all the Vaults, Tenpenny Tower, The Republic of Dave, and even the infamous Ghoul Underworld.

Every major ammo and health cache, Skill Book, Scribe Pre-War Book, Nuka-Cola Quantum, Unique Weapon, Weapon Schematic, Mini Nuke, and more… all bagged and tagged!

Multiple tactics and tips for every Main, Miscellaneous, and Freeform quest, including exhaustive notes on every single activity you can attempt, anywhere in the game.

Flowcharts and every major Karmic choice detail exactly where your selections lead. Good or Bad, it‘s your decision! Plus: Everything you need to know about completing all endings.

Full and thorough examples of how to create different types of characters, from heavy-weapon specialists to small arms gunslingers and stealthy lock-picking pros. We flag all the complimentary stats, Skills, and Perks you need. Expert tactical advice on using V.A.T.S. combat techniques, how best to allocate your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. abilities, plus info on every Skill and Perk available, and which ones to pick as your adventure progresses.

Need help taking down a Super Mutant Behemoth? Then check the damage and health statistics for every weapon and enemy, so you‘ll know how much damage you can inflict, and they can take!

as for the collectors edition strat guide it says all of the above with :
Bonus Material! Almost 50 pages of bonus content not available in the regular guide.

Rugged Hardcover edition for extra survivability. The ultimate Fallout 3 collector‘s piece.

so doesnt really tell you much there,except fancy packaging and an extra 50 pages

so i would also like to know the answer to this one,as i have seen both are gonna be for sale come this Friday..i am in England so i was wondering if i should part ex another game to make up for the CE strat guide

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »

I don't know why, but while I normally opt for the basic version of a game because I don't really collect videogame paraphernalia, for some reason I feel compelled to pick up the collector's edition with the Fallout lunchbox and bobblehead.  I'm such a consumer whore.  Fabulous

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2008, 10:01:33 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2008, 08:45:41 PM

Yup! Fallout has always been about what someone living in the 50s would imagine a post-apocalyptic future would look like. That's one of the reasons the spinoffs of the Fallout universe failed. They didn't understand this very vital concept to the setting. Fallout Tactics (despite being a good game) for example, started out its intro with 70s music, and featured modern sci-fi elements all the way through. That's not something you should expect to see in a Fallout game, ever. Bethesda seems to understand the core concept, which is good.

The key thing to remember is that the Fallout universe is an alternative time-line where something happened during or right after WW2 that was different.  So the technology of the world diverged and you end up with the pre-war world of 2077 being inspired by 1950s ideas of the future. If the original designers ever specified what the divergence was, they didn't leave a record because I've never seen an explanation.  Back when Interplay published the "Fallout Bible" online for fans, it simply clarified that it was an alternative time-line but did not provide details.  It's possible that no details were ever specified.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2008, 10:20:09 PM »

I've got several big projects this week and no OT allowed so I was able to take a half day today and play the game for a couple hours.  I made it out of the vault, explored the surrounding area a bit, and then traveled to Megaton.  I decided to make a good-guy, hacker, stealth-type character.  Ironically enough, due to my play style, I haven't had the chance to try and pick a lock or hack a computer yet.  So far the combat seems pretty easy with VATS, my character can usually take the lower level raiders and dogs out with one or two shots to the head.  I've managed to sneak up on most of my enemies and get at least one shot off before they even notice me, but multiple enemies are a problem if they box me in quick enough.

Overall it's exactly what I expected and wanted:  Fallout done in the Oblivion engine, without the annoying level scale.  I can't wait to get some more time in tonight after the kids go to bed.

glyc

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2008, 10:38:14 PM »

Favorite combat moment so far was using V.A.T.S and a baseball bat to cripple the raider's right arm, then left arm, and finally an uppercut to finish him off. All in a 1-2-3 sequence.  Was very satisfying.  Right up there was baseball batting a raider off of the 3rd story of a bombed out school.  Then making my way down to loot the body.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2008, 10:50:16 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 28, 2008, 10:01:33 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2008, 08:45:41 PM

The key thing to remember is that the Fallout universe is an alternative time-line where something happened during or right after WW2 that was different.  So the technology of the world diverged and you end up with the pre-war world of 2077 being inspired by 1950s ideas of the future. If the original designers ever specified what the divergence was, they didn't leave a record because I've never seen an explanation.  Back when Interplay published the "Fallout Bible" online for fans, it simply clarified that it was an alternative time-line but did not provide details.  It's possible that no details were ever specified.

Found what I'd remembered reading the other day, this Washington Post article where executive producer Todd Howard was interviewed on the subject of Washington DC's role in the game. A snippet:

Quote from: Todd Howard
Q: For people who aren't familiar with the previous Fallout games, what's with that 50s retro look?

Howard: The world of Fallout, the world that got blown up, was this retro-futuristic world. It's like if you take the 1950s and what they thought the future was going to be, with laser guns, this "world of tomorrow" with nuclear-powered cars and robot butlers, but they still sit on these very 1950s style sofas watching Leave it to Beaver-style shows and things like that.

We got very interested, in designing the game, in what was the world that existed before it was destroyed.

Q: So you had to build a world first, then destroy it?

Howard: On paper, we definitely had to do it twice, yeah. We did a lot of studies on what it would've looked like. What would a neighborhood look like? How would they mow their lawns and clean their streets? You have this crazy car with a nuclear engine that's probably unsafe. There's dad smoking his pipe.

We looked at a lot of 1950s advertisements, there's some great books on that stuff and they're really unintentionally hilarious.

-craig

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2008, 11:23:50 PM »

I guess I didn't realize how much like Oblivion this game was going to be.    icon_eek

But that's not a bad thing, mind you.  When I finally exited the vault from the tutorial level, I was greeted with the same feeling I got when I first fired up Morrowind all those years ago.  The realization that I could do practically whatever I wanted.  I love that feeling and Bethesda excels in giving it to me via (most) of their games.

Taking a break for a bit as I already did a two hour session.  But yeah, I'm diggin' it.  Going with a greaser stealth/mechanic type.

I picked up my copy at CC and used the 25 percent off coupon on the back of the mini strat guide the game came with, as well as the 10 dollar gift card they give you, to buy the soft cover prima guide.  I think the cashier made a mistake because that 25 dollar book ended up costing me just under two bucks. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2008, 12:59:06 AM »

Hokay:

1. How do you use skills? I'm used to clicking on a skill in FO and then doing it. For example, I have just left the vault and lucked into a deathclaw killing some raiders. I picked up their flame gun or whatever but the condition is bad. How do I use my repair skill to fix it?  Are other skills- like lockpicking- passive as in they're used whenever they should be? (I never played oblivion).

2. Is there any disadvantage to not using VATS for combat (besides targeting specific parts)? If I just go guns blazes a la regular FPS, any disadvantage?

3. How do you go int 3rd person?

4. How do you run? Is movement speed just a matter of encumbrance?

5. I don't get lock picking. When the vibration gets bad as that when you're close to breaking your pick?

6. I've made a point to target enemy heads, yet when they get down to zero HP on their heads they still attack. What gives?  Is there any point to attacking the head?  Does critical damage (meaning no more HPs on their head) on a head mean they are incapacitated in anyway?

Also, I started over from the beginning and it seemed that the ramp up wasn't as 'long'. Maybe trying to cram it in between meetings at work made it less enjoyable.

So far I'm very much enjoying it.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2008, 01:18:02 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 29, 2008, 12:59:06 AM

Hokay:

1. How do you use skills? I'm used to clicking on a skill in FO and then doing it. For example, I have just left the vault and lucked into a deathclaw killing some raiders. I picked up their flame gun or whatever but the condition is bad. How do I use my repair skill to fix it?  Are other skills- like lockpicking- passive as in they're used whenever they should be? (I never played oblivion).

2. Is there any disadvantage to not using VATS for combat (besides targeting specific parts)? If I just go guns blazes a la regular FPS, any disadvantage?

3. How do you go int 3rd person?

4. How do you run? Is movement speed just a matter of encumbrance?

5. I don't get lock picking. When the vibration gets bad as that when you're close to breaking your pick?

6. I've made a point to target enemy heads, yet when they get down to zero HP on their heads they still attack. What gives?  Is there any point to attacking the head?  Does critical damage (meaning no more HPs on their head) on a head mean they are incapacitated in anyway?

Also, I started over from the beginning and it seemed that the ramp up wasn't as 'long'. Maybe trying to cram it in between meetings at work made it less enjoyable.

So far I'm very much enjoying it.

I don't know about skills, but I'd suggest the manual there. In Oblivion you would just use the item that required that skill, like using a mortar and pestle started alchemy.

I don't think there is any disadvantage to not using VATS, at least I haven't seen one.

Hit the Left bumper to go into 3rd person

Speed is probably determined in part by your athletics and any possible feats.

I've targeted enemy heads primarily and notched quite a few decapitations. I believe once you take a body parts individual hp out you cripple that part, but still have to knock down their overall hit points.

I had the game freeze up on my in Megaton. Not happy about that, but oddly enough I had the same issues in Oblivion, and no other games.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2008, 01:41:02 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 28, 2008, 09:46:51 PM

so i would also like to know the answer to this one,as i have seen both are gonna be for sale come this Friday..i am in England so i was wondering if i should part ex another game to make up for the CE strat guide

I can't recall the specifics but Kathode laid out the changes IIRC so maybe do a search of his posts?  From what I remember of his description, the CE has a lot of really, really great bonus material and background.  It was enough to get me to order it. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2008, 02:04:05 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 29, 2008, 01:41:02 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 28, 2008, 09:46:51 PM

I can't recall the specifics but Kathode laid out the changes IIRC so maybe do a search of his posts?  From what I remember of his description, the CE has a lot of really, really great bonus material and background.  It was enough to get me to order it. 

yup.  exactly what i did

relevant quote
Decided to purchase the special Pre-War Collector’s Edition? Then, aside from a Hardback cover and a bigger map poster, you get an extra section packed with exclusive art, team interviews, additional team tactics, easter egg information, a half-dozen “Wasteland Wanderers” showcasing the entertaining and sometimes frightening way some of Bethesda’s team cultivated their characters, all finished off rather pleasantly by an Afterword by Moira Brown. Who’s she? Owner of the Craterside Supply, don’t you know.

Ready your coffee table for reinforcement; the Pre-War Collector’s guide clocks in at 498 pages.

relevant link

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2008, 02:26:36 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 28, 2008, 06:32:04 PM

Wait....
There's a Baja Fresh in Chicago?

PSN ID: EduardoX
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2008, 03:11:49 AM »

I've played about 2 hours.  I love how once you leave the vault there is basically an open world in front of you.  I think I spent about 45 mins just roaming around.  VATS is way cooler than on the fly combat.  I love the slo-mo.

I need to read the manual before I go any further.  I didn't know about 3rd person until I was out of the vault so I would like to go back and see me through the stages.

One question I have though....what's with my right hand?  It's suuuuuuper long...is everyone's like that?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: