http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 05:11:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 Impressions PC Edition: now with more 8-Bit JRPG!  (Read 57055 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 28, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on October 28, 2009, 12:12:19 PM

Happy Birthday to Fallout 3.  You are one-year-old today.

Yep, one of the best RPGs in recent memory.  I'd replay it again right now if Dragon Age wasn't coming out in less than a week.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 29, 2009, 12:28:52 AM »

I spent the better part of the summer playing Fallout 3, exploring the wasteland for all the major quests and little freeform objectives, and I just finished the original storyline earlier this week.  Operation: Anchorage was finished along the way and now I'm on to the Broken Steel content, but before I go too far down that quest line, I think I'm going to check out The Pitt and Point Lookout.

At over 100 hours, I'm still having a great time!

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 01, 2009, 02:18:56 AM »

I need to eventually hunker down and finish this game.  I keep on stalling out halfway through the main quest.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 26, 2010, 04:05:04 AM »

So uh, I got Fallout 3 Game of The Year Edition today, and this is how it went:

Installed on XP, Phenom II X3, GTX 260 system.
Played 10 minutes or so - got BB gun - game froze.
Played 10 minutes or so - left vault - game froze.

Installed on XP, A64 3200+, x1900XT system.
Started game - froze before getting to menu.
Played 10 minutes or so - game froze in school building.
Replaced card with 5670.
Played 10 minutes or so, shot a guy outside the school, game froze as I went to loot him.

I Googled "fallout 3 freezing" and I'm basically greeted with an innumerable amount of cases of this on seemingly every system configuration you can think of (including ps3 and 360...), with about as many unique solutions.

On top of that, both systems (one which uses onboard audio, another that uses an Audigy) have issues with the sound. On one, the audio (the dialog at least) goes from nearly inaudible to REALLY FUCKING LOUD at random intervals. On the other system I just had my assault rifle sound disappear entirely during the middle of a battle.

I must be doing something wrong, because surely there's no way a game that's two years old and so critically acclaimed, which has been patched up and re-released with all this extra content, is this ridiculously buggy?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 26, 2010, 05:04:39 AM »

I was having severe problems with Fallout 3 where the game would suddenly completely lock up, particularly indoors.  It was fixed by editing the Fallout.ini and adding these two lines to the [General] area:

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

That tweak is specific for quad-core processors.  I believe that if you use a dual-core CPU, the first line remains the same but the second should change from 2 to 1.

Secondly, Fallout 3 has some compatibility problems with FFDShow codecs.  If the above tweak doesn't fix your problems, try the instructions here to see if they help. 

Spoiler for "Tagged for length only -- no game spoilers inside":
Quote from: Yahoo Answers
Fallout 3 does seem to have a conflict with FFDShow codecs. You have to either uninstall them from your system or add fallout3.exe to FFDShow audio and video decoders exceptions list. Although you may not know it, FFDShow codecs may be present on your system if you have installed codec packs such as CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack).

How to add Fallout 3 to FFDShow decoder exceptions list

1. Launch the ffdshow video decoder configuration window. You may access this through the start menu. If you have installed any codec packs, check the start menu entries of those. If you can't find it on the start menu, right click the ffdshow video decoder (red) icon that appears on the taskbar when a supported video file is playing, and select ffdshow video decoder option from the menu.

2. Tick the Dont use ffdshow in checkbox if not already checked

3. Press the edit button that is next to the text field. A new dialog box will pop up. Press the Add button. The Add incompatible executable file dialog box will be displayed. Browse to the Fallout 3 installation directory and locate fallout3.exe file. Select it and press open. Close all dialog boxes currently open by pressing ok.
(OR you can simply type fallout3.exe at the end of the text field next to Dont use ffdshow in checkbox)

4. Repeat steps 2-3 in ffdshow audio decoder configuration (the blue icon in taskbar) window as well. It is important that you add fallout3.exe to both ffdshow audio and video decoder's exceptions list.

-Autistic Angel
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: December 28, 2010, 05:18:24 PM »

As someone who historically has problems with games I can only say I must have finally found a system that designers like.....I had no problem with DA:O and Fallout 3 has run for maybe 45 hours of game play with maybe 3-4 freezes or crashes.

I am running a basic 3 year old Dell except for a highly upgraded video card. Duo Core.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 04, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »

Fallout the JRPG

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 04, 2011, 05:45:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 01, 2009, 02:18:56 AM

I need to eventually hunker down and finish this game.  I keep on stalling out halfway through the main quest.

"Oh look another Subway tunnel...."  Haven't had the urge to go back and finish it in awhile.

As far as bugginess...  Think I have only a couple CTD and one hard freeze but  I have had those same annoying sound issues.  One time the MG sound got stuck in a loop but usually it's the inaudible dialougue proceeded by ear splitting sound effects. 

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 17, 2012, 12:06:10 AM »

arise! 

finally got around to finishing the main storyline this weekend (it was surprisingly shorter than I expected), and knocked out Operation Anchorage, The Pitt and Broken Steel.  I had a pretty good time, although OA felt like it would have been better served as a separate FPS, and Broken Steel felt way too combat heavy after The Pitt.  I've started Point Lookout, and can't say I'm too impressed so far.  I just took on well armed and armored Enclave soldiers no problem but the tribal yokels in their swamp rags seem to be bullet sponges (and they're worth much less XP to boot).  probably a good time to put that the game though, as I was starting to feel burned out at the end of BS anyways, although I'd kinda like to gain the last couple of levels for the Almost Perfect perk.  maybe I'll leave PB and to do Zeta, that should get me enough for that final bit.  after that I may use a console command to unlock all of the locations on the map and visit some of the ones that look interesting; it's too bad that the Explorer perk only revealed them and didn't allow fast travel.

again, great game; my only complaint (beyond the rampant crashing which I fixed using the method AA posted above) was that the slow motion while using VATS more often than not ended up with me taking damage that I shouldn't have from the ghoul or deathclaw meleeing me or other enemies shooting me as I watched their companions head fly off instead of being able to maneuver.

I ended up not using any mods, figured I could either just play it or spend hours fooling around with them.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 17, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »

Yeah the main quest is pretty much a 10-15hr thing,but the bulk of the 100+hrs are taken up by sidequests and all the little things to do,before Broken Steel you had to make sure you did everything you needed to before completing the game

I think this game is probably up there with Red Dead as the best this gen for me

As for the DLC,I think Point Lookout may actually be my favourite,i loved the size of the land to explore,there were quite a few side quests and the main story had a lot of freaky shit in it

Zeta is alright,just above Operation Anchorage which is my least favourite for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: September 17, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »

Agreed - Point Lookout was my favorite DLC. 
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 17, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »

I really need to get around to a full play through of this. Every time I start it real life drags me away for too long.  icon_confused

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 17, 2012, 09:32:56 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 17, 2012, 09:28:18 AM

As for the DLC,I think Point Lookout may actually be my favourite,i loved the size of the land to explore,there were quite a few side quests and the main story had a lot of freaky shit in it

I liked how big they made it, but it felt like they should have upped the level cap to 40 as the enemies were just eating me alive at level 28-29 with my PC equipped with some of the best stuff available.  those double barrel shotguns were freakin' nasty.  to give yo'all an idea, here's the wiki entry:

CharacteristicsEdit

Unlike the sawed-off shotgun, which has existed in the game since release, the double-barrel has both its barrel and stock intact. Even badly damaged it does more damage than a combat shotgun, but it also fires both barrels at once, which forces you to reload immediately after each shot, however, it has a short reload time of 0.8 seconds. The drawback to this is ammunition consumption, as again, each shot expends two shells.

This means that while The Terrible Shotgun has only two chances to jam after a full spent magazine, the double-barrel shotgun has 57.

Similar to the tri-beam laser rifle in Broken Steel, the double-barrel shotgun has an object effect which inflicts an extra 35 damage per hit when used by non-player characters against the player. However, unlike other Point Lookout weapons affected by this additional damage, the double-barrel shotgun applies this damage per pellet, making it possible for the weapon to apply an extra 315 damage if all 9 pellets strike the player. Additionally, this damage ignores Damage Resistance and is independent of the condition of the weapon, making it especially deadly in the hands of swampfolk and other non-player characters.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: