http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:02:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 Impressions PC Edition: now with more 8-Bit JRPG!  (Read 55690 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 03, 2009, 03:01:38 PM »

I'm finally started getting back to this the other day.  I kept my previous save, but since I couldn't remember where I was in the storyline I went ahead and restarted.  one thing I have noticed is that VATS seems to have a slight pause again before the percentages pop up.  did the latest patch do something to it?  the last time I got pauses from VATS I fixed it with the latest drivers, and didn't have them again until I updated to 1.4.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 07, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »

I was playing last night and came across a weird radio signal.  looking around the area I was pleasantly surprised to find a downed UFO with an Alien Blaster that does a buttload of damage, like taking down a deathclaw in 2 shots and alot of ther creatures in one.  hopefully I can find more Alien Blaster ammo for it at some point as I've used up about half of it.  I've mainly been keeping it reserve for really hard enemies or if I don't feel like taking the time to engage in combat.

I do wish there was some kind of mount you could get for faster travel while exploring though.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 07, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the ammo you scavenge from the immediate crash site is all there is for the Alien Blaster.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 07, 2009, 06:38:05 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 07, 2009, 06:26:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that the ammo you scavenge from the immediate crash site is all there is for the Alien Blaster.

I could have sworn there was one other place I found some... in a bunker or that place you could launch some mini nukes from.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 07, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »

ALIEN BLASTER SPOILERS LIE WITHIN! 

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 07, 2009, 09:22:18 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 07, 2009, 06:38:05 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 07, 2009, 06:26:43 PM

I could have sworn there was one other place I found some... in a bunker or that place you could launch some mini nukes from.

After checking Freezer's links, apparently I misremembered.  icon_lol

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 07, 2009, 11:41:28 PM »

cool, thanks.  I think I may actually make an exception for this game and pick up the strategy guide.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 09, 2009, 03:39:18 PM »

I ran into my first behemoth last night when I decided to do the Galaxy Radio portion of the main quest before I accidentally skipped over it like I did the first time.  I was not expecting it to be that big  eek

oh, and I finally found Dogmeat after going back to Minefield to see if I could find any more mine.  god, this game is HUGE.  I might have totally missed him if I hadn't noticed the junkyard off in the distance, but now I'm afraid he could get killed so I sent him back to the Vault 101 entrance for now.

Because I can,
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2009, 05:19:41 PM »

Finally beat it last night with only 27 hours played. There's a metric ass ton of things I missed and I didn't play either of the mini expansions so I'm sure I'll be playing again. I think I'm going to wait until the 3rd expansion comes out and then play again. Probably as a evil guys this time.  icon_twisted
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2009, 05:33:45 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on April 12, 2009, 05:19:41 PM

Probably as a evil guys this time.  icon_twisted

I started off as good then turned evil but may end up good again.  It's cool how they have bounties on you if you become too good or evil, but it sucks to be coming out of a subway or building pretty beat up only to find yourself getting ambushed.

Is there any secret to finding the Bobbleheads beyond wandering around or using a FAQ/strategy guide?  I've found 4 in my travels and like the boost they give you.

Because I can,
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 13, 2009, 09:26:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 12, 2009, 05:33:45 PM

Is there any secret to finding the Bobbleheads beyond wandering around or using a FAQ/strategy guide?  I've found 4 in my travels and like the boost they give you.

Not that I know of.  I think I found about one third to a half on my own, the rest I used an online guide for.  Even if you check out every major location in the game, some are in dark corners or hard to spot locations.  I don't think there are any in game guides to their locations.

16-bit and loving it!
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 14, 2009, 05:17:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 12, 2009, 05:33:45 PM

They seem like another reward to encourage lots of exploring. I found great satisfaction exploring some random cave and running into a Bobblehead.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 14, 2009, 02:41:05 PM »

it stinks- for some reason I've been noticing more and more graphics issues with HDR turned on.  did anyone experience a bunch of graphical flickering (from the texture flickering on objects to a big black block blocking out the view of a segment of the area if you look at a certain angle) with HDR enabled on a nVidia card?  I figured out it has to be that because if I turn it (HDR) off the issues are gone, but the game looks less pretty.  I've been looking on the forums but there doesn't seem to be a solid fix- I've read people have supposedly fixed it with rolling back to a previous version of the game to rolling back or updating drivers.

other than that I've been busy exploring the Capitol area.  I've been trying to find the White House (or at least it's ruins/big crater where it would have been) but since I'm close to level 20 and the Explorer perk I may wait.

Because I can,
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 15, 2009, 01:51:32 AM »

Is there a way (or one I've missed) that I can map a ranged weapon to a key and a melee weapon to another like Morrowind? I hate having to go the Pip just to change weapons mid battle.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 15, 2009, 02:25:37 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on April 15, 2009, 01:51:32 AM

Is there a way (or one I've missed) that I can map a ranged weapon to a key and a melee weapon to another like Morrowind? I hate having to go the Pip just to change weapons mid battle.
Open pip, hold down number key, click on weapon. Release number key. Weapon assigned to number.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 15, 2009, 02:34:18 AM »

Awesome, thanks! I just started and use the hunting rifle at range then the 10mm close as I have a ton of ammo for it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 15, 2009, 02:43:48 PM »

after more exploring last night I found the remains of the White House, which I had actually already been by but it didn't occur to me the few columns laying around were from it until I found a small hatch near it, went through a tunnel and exited in the very radioactive crater with the message that I found the White House.  I also found Arlington Cemetary (and a bobble head!), which was kind of surreal.

Because I can,
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 15, 2009, 03:15:09 PM »

I just started this up again after a 4 month long hiatus. I'm still amazed at the cinematic slo-mo kill shots that happen while in VATS. Just last night I did a headshot on a vicious dog that was charging towards me. The shot tore the dogs head off and it arced in the air, blood droplets flying, till it landed at my feet.  eek

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 15, 2009, 03:33:53 PM »

the slo mo is cool, but at times it seems to take too long to end, usually when you've got a bunch of other people shooting at you.  I've also found that it doesn't work well if a melee guy is charging you and gets in too close.

Because I can,
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 15, 2009, 04:30:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 15, 2009, 03:33:53 PM

the slo mo is cool, but at times it seems to take too long to end, usually when you've got a bunch of other people shooting at you.  I've also found that it doesn't work well if a melee guy is charging you and gets in too close.

Yeah, but that's what the flame thrower is for smile. Something else I like is how the objects in the game "make sense". Case in point, I'm under attack by super mutants who are behind some abandoned cars. One mutant with the minigun accidentally hits a car and flames start spewing out. Hmmm, I wonder what happens if I chuck a grenade at them? Sure enough, the grenade causes the cars to explode, causing mutants to launch into the air and die. Now that was cool.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 16, 2009, 02:41:39 PM »

I found a really nice set of power armor last night, now I just need to find a trainer for it.  I also found the place where you can invest in the 4 caravans that wander the wastes so they carry better items and have better repair skills, whihc is pretty cool as one of the guys (the junk vendor) was then able to repair most of my items to near perfect condition.

I was going through the perks, and some of them seem kinda useless, or at least the do for the PC version.  the 2 higher level ones that give you a second chance to pick a broken lock or hack a terminal after you've entered the wrong password too many times are the big ones I've noticed.  you only break a lock if you try to force it, and when hacking a terminal it makes more sense to turn it off and back on if you're on the last attempt unless you've got most of the password, and then if it locks just quickload (assuming you quicksave right before starting a hack like I do).  there are two other perks which give you bonuses depending on the time of day and the two that give you the ability to take fingers from certain people for caps seem to be rather limited so I put those on my skip list as well.  don't get me wrong, I'm not saying taking them is stupid but from a effieciency standpoint it's more efficient to take the perks that give you benefits all the time.

oh, and on this playthrough I skipped Bloody Mess.  the damage bonus was nice, but it just got ridiculous after the first few times.  I see enough heads flying off as it is without it.

Because I can,
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 16, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 16, 2009, 02:41:39 PM

I was going through the perks, and some of them seem kinda useless, or at least the do for the PC version.  the 2 higher level ones that give you a second chance to pick a broken lock or hack a terminal after you've entered the wrong password too many times are the big ones I've noticed.  you only break a lock if you try to force it, and when hacking a terminal it makes more sense to turn it off and back on if you're on the last attempt unless you've got most of the password, and then if it locks just quickload (assuming you quicksave right before starting a hack like I do).  there are two other perks which give you bonuses depending on the time of day and the two that give you the ability to take fingers from certain people for caps seem to be rather limited so I put those on my skip list as well.  don't get me wrong, I'm not saying taking them is stupid but from a effieciency standpoint it's more efficient to take the perks that give you benefits all the time.

There are only a few perks that seem to be must-haves and all the others I tend to pick based on a "this might be fun" basis. One that I've heard is pretty fun to take is the mysterious stranger perk. For now I'm taking another rank of "demo expert" after having seen how powerful the frag grenades are. Those babies let me blow up two assassination attempts by talon mercs as well as two super-mutant groups.

I think the "taking fingers" perks are "might be fun" perks for characters on the extreme side of good or evil.

But I agree about the 2nd chance perks for the locks and computer terminals being on the useless side.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 16, 2009, 03:37:42 PM »

Quote from: raydude on April 16, 2009, 03:20:02 PM

I think the "taking fingers" perks are "might be fun" perks for characters on the extreme side of good or evil.

yeah, they might be fun for a diversion but by the time they unlock you're practically swimming in caps.  I did take the Mysterious Stranger perk, and with a current Luck of 8 it doesn't seem to pop up very much.  the look of the guy is not what I expected and made me LOL the first time he showed up.  I might have otherwise skipped it, but when it popped up I didn't really see anything else worth taking.  I'm kicking myself over skipping the Comprehension perk early on with the amount of skill since I've been finding a ton of those.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: April 16, 2009, 06:10:51 PM »

Quote from: raydude on April 15, 2009, 04:30:51 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 15, 2009, 03:33:53 PM

Yeah, but that's what the flame thrower is for smile. Something else I like is how the objects in the game "make sense". Case in point, I'm under attack by super mutants who are behind some abandoned cars. One mutant with the minigun accidentally hits a car and flames start spewing out. Hmmm, I wonder what happens if I chuck a grenade at them? Sure enough, the grenade causes the cars to explode, causing mutants to launch into the air and die. Now that was cool.

If a car is on fire, it doesn't need the grenade to help it along, but it does speed up the eventual explosion.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: April 16, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »

Quote from: dmd on April 15, 2009, 02:25:37 AM

Quote from: Kagath on April 15, 2009, 01:51:32 AM

Open pip, hold down number key, click on weapon. Release number key. Weapon assigned to number.

OMG TYVM!!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: April 16, 2009, 06:19:31 PM »

I absolutely loved watching people explode via a slo-mo grenade toss. Makes me want to go through the game a second time and train in nothing but grenades. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 17, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »

Quote from: raydude on April 16, 2009, 03:20:02 PM

One that I've heard is pretty fun to take is the mysterious stranger perk.
I love this Perk! Its really fun to be in a fight and have Humphrey Bogart come in with his .45 pistol and finish someone off.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 17, 2009, 08:17:09 PM »

How often does he show up? Is it worth it to take something like that as opposed to Intense Training or something else more universal?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 17, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »

It's random, and since it has a luck requirement I'm guessing it's based off whatever your luck star is.  With a luck of 8 and I rarely see him pop up.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: April 17, 2009, 09:27:17 PM »

He has I think a 5% chance of showing up if an enemy gets to 10% health or less without dying.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 18, 2009, 04:41:08 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 17, 2009, 09:27:17 PM

He has I think a 5% chance of showing up if an enemy gets to 10% health or less without dying.

Actually, I think it is tied to your health level as well.  So if you are loaded down with stimpaks and keep yourself healed up you rarely see him.

It is kind of funny that he shows up in the Operation: Anchorage DLC expansion thing.  Being that its a VR sim and all.  icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 18, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »

Try this if you like grenades:

Pick someones pocket and then place a grenade on them from your inventory - move away from them quickly
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 18, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »

they actually included a stat for Mysterious Stranger visits on the 'general stats' page.  since I picked it up when it first became available I've seen him 8 times.  considering right now I'm killing most enemies in VATS by the last shot (better criticals, sniper, action girl, and the perk that gives you a better chance to hit with 2 handed weapons plus high luck) I don't think I'll be seeing much of him.

Quote from: drifter on April 18, 2009, 12:55:46 PM

Try this if you like grenades:

Pick someones pocket and then place a grenade on them from your inventory - move away from them quickly

I'm assuming that is what gives you marks under the 'pants exploded' stat  icon_twisted

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 20, 2009, 02:22:51 AM »

tonight I hit level 20 and I'm maybe half way through the main quest line.  now I have to debate do I want to continue or wait for Broken Steel to raise the level cap so I don't waste any XP.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 27, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »

Operation Anchorage and The Pitt are coming to retail.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:06:17 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 29, 2009, 11:40:53 PM »

patch 1.5 is out, preparing for Broken Steel:

New Features

New achievements for Broken Steel

Bug Fixes

Fixed issue with VATS calculations not appearing properly for perks (PC)

Fixed crash related to altered references between master files

LOD objects render properly when loaded from DLC worldspaces

Fixed issue with companion NPCs not loading into cells immediately after player

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 30, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »

You can manually update here..

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/updates.html

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 01, 2009, 05:16:36 PM »

So is there a new Point Look DLC?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 01, 2009, 08:09:48 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 01, 2009, 05:16:36 PM

So is there a new Point Look DLC?

Weird.  Maybe somebody spilled the beans early on another DLC, but it does seem odd that one would be coming that soon and hasn't been announced. 

Or maybe it's just BS.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 28, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »

Happy Birthday to Fallout 3.  You are one-year-old today.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: