http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 06:40:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 Impressions PC Edition: now with more 8-Bit JRPG!  (Read 58519 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: November 21, 2008, 07:42:58 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on November 20, 2008, 07:13:25 PM

I thought that review was fair and many of the points valid. Do I agree with the overall conclusion? Somewhat. The review rightly points out that Fallout 3 was striving more for the "let's put cool stuff in the game" for the sake of having cool stuff to do, regardless of whether it makes particular sense for a post-bellum world (200 years later) to still have working pre-war computers, coke machines, ammunition, useable first aid kits and other devices that should have been looted or degraded decades earlier. Even the cool atmospheric details like a woman authoring a Survival Guide or a Society for Robot freedom seemed anachronistic; the survivors needed a survival guide 199 years earlier and freeing robots seems a luxury for people on the edge of destruction. The review also notes that our wasteland is pretty densely populated mostly so to give us the opportunity to meet interesting and stimulating survivors of an ancient culture... and kill them.

Yet, these are the sort of objections that people make when they say they don't like Lost because it's so unrealistic that so many good looking people would be on the plane in the first place or that the I am Legendmovie sucked because it didn't follow R. Matheson's novella faithfully (actually I was one of those who veered towards that view but then just said "Oh, hell, I still have the novella...") and ultimately, I have to think that really recreating a more subdued, somewhat more plausible, less action-movie-style game would have probably appealed to far fewer gamers. Although I probably would have also enjoyed a less frenetic game, a more "build a shelter, hunt some food, construct a rudimentary lathe" survival game with infrequent survivor contact, I wouldn't expect anyone expecting to make money to create said game.

I'm surprised that NMA's review was relatively rant and sarcasm free; given the strong views I'd been reading there before. I love FO3 myself but I can see the reviewer's POV and share it even though I've had a lot of exciting (albeit cartoonish at times) fun. In any case, FO3's success may encourage someone to "do it right" according to his ideal and whether that's a turn-based independent or another big budget game, we'd get another opportunity to get either a gritty thoughtful ("Do I abandon the village survivors or aid them?") game or a shoot-em-up.

i have the same feelings about their review as you do and agree with the "theme park" atmosphere that you can see in fo3.  i even thought it odd early on that electricity and running water were so prevalent once you left the vault, but in the end, i can accept that a game set in a fallout world rigidly adhering to the "rules" of the accepted genre would have made the game much more desolate (no pun intended, but the word accurately describes the alternative game).  i also can accept that if nuclear technology was advanced enough to power their cars, then why would electricity be so rare as to be never seen outside a sealed vault?  it would make more sense if the power generation was obvious though, and also prone to failures or tampering.  as for running water, it really makes no sense for fire hydrants in the streets and the random bathroom to have them when in an abandoned environment, but within a maintained town like megaton, i could see it being possible.  hell, with as many things hanging over their heads, why not have some of them be water pipes?  they already have a system in place.  same with rivet city for that matter, and in that case, electricity would not be a problem either. 

the little parts, like the survival guide, also sound odd unless you consider that this one person is a little bit off her rocker to begin with.  she's probably mocked for writing a book about stuff everyone already knows by the other residents. 

small nukes also make sense if you consider their advances into miniturizing nuclear reactors.  if we advanced our tech to the point of portable reactors, why wouldn't we use the same tech for portable explosives?  we have a worry now about suitcase nukes, so that's not that big a leap either. 

his other complaints about the BoS's abundance of technology is somewhat valid though, and you should expect to see more soldiers running around without heavy weapons/armor.  the knights should have been the only ones wearing the armor, imo and it would have been nice to see them scavenge from their dead.  at least the enemy has been seen doing that. 

really though, his biggest beefs about stat increasing clothing is the biggest area where even i cannot explain it all.  i would argue that the ballcap and some other headgear increases your perception by keeping the sun out of your eyes (especially as a pale skinned vault dweller) whereas a dirty lab coat would not give you any appreciable difference for hacking a computer. 

i also think his issue with the stats is pretty valid too.  it's harder to gimp yourself here, and no stat is so critical that it dramatically alters your gameplay.  chalk this one up to 'widening your audience'.  regrettable, but i can accept that to a point. 

none of the issues he mentioned (or i agree with) change the fundamental fact that i am enjoying the hell out of this game and consider it my goty by a pretty wide margin. 

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 22, 2008, 02:31:23 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on November 21, 2008, 06:44:57 PM

Just made level 20 and since I had been focusing on stealth/unarmed I was looking forward to the Ninja Perk. Now I notice that although it says that "When attacking with either Melee or Unarmed, you gain a +15% critical chance on every strike" it requires a Melee Weapons skill of 80. I don't use Melee Weapons. I use the Deathclaw Gauntlet. If the Perk gives you a bonus to Unarmed why do you need to have a Melee Weapons skill requirement?

That's a good question.  If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe they thought having a cool unarmed perk at 18 (Paralyzing Palm) and another at 20 would be too overpowering for those characters.  Perhaps they meant to change things and make Ninja a melee only perk, though the strat guide does make it sound like Ninja is a great perk for people who choose to raise both unarmed and melee.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 03, 2008, 07:48:51 PM »

Just for the heck of it last night I loaded up my save as I was leaving the vault. i retagged explosives, unarmed, and science. i went straight into Megaton and set the bomb to explode then took off across the wastes to tenpenny Tower. I honestly didn't think id make it being fresh out of the vault but with 3 stimpacks I made it there. I blew the bomb then decided to try and kill the ghouls for him. Can you imagine a noob with 8 stimpack, no armor, no skills, and nothing but her fists going down into those tunnels filled with wild ghouls?? But lo and behold i did it! I killed about 12 of them with my bare hands then ran into the 3 named ones and killed them the same way. I couldn't believe it was possible but it was.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 08, 2008, 05:51:03 AM »

Well I'm about to give up on FO3, I get constant crashes now.  I've tried disabling the quadcore threading since that was identified as causing similar lock ups to mine but it didn't help and I can't stand restarting my computer anymore just to play 30 seconds of this game,  I wish they would fix this problem, I don't think I'm the only one with this issue.  I'll spoiler where I'm locking up just in case

Spoiler for Hiden:
In vault 112 I've entered the simulation section but every time I enter a house the game freezes.  Since this is part of the main plot I don't think I can go any further.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 08, 2008, 06:28:40 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on December 08, 2008, 05:51:03 AM

Well I'm about to give up on FO3, I get constant crashes now.  I've tried disabling the quadcore threading since that was identified as causing similar lock ups to mine but it didn't help and I can't stand restarting my computer anymore just to play 30 seconds of this game,  I wish they would fix this problem, I don't think I'm the only one with this issue.  I'll spoiler where I'm locking up just in case

Spoiler for Hiden:
In vault 112 I've entered the simulation section but every time I enter a house the game freezes.  Since this is part of the main plot I don't think I can go any further.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had all kinds of freeze issues in that same spot.  Since I have the strat guide I figured out how to quickly resolve things in that area, but I did have to deal with a lot of freezes to do it.  The good news was that once I got through there, my freeze problems were greatly reduced.

- American Dad
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 11, 2008, 04:44:12 AM »

Operation Anchorage info and some nice screen shots.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43482/Fallout-3-Operation-Anchorage-Screenshots-Interview

The Chinese red army is everywhere, and the player will first have to secure the surrounding mountain side and then fight their way into the Chinese base. The player will have to use a lot of their standard combat skills, along with several new tools that will only be available in the downloadable content. These include interactive Strike Teams under the player's command and unique armor, weapons, and other exotic gadgets.

Is this a gauss rifle?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:47:09 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: December 11, 2008, 02:23:12 PM »

The Strike Team under your command sounds like some form of fine control over AI companions, modders and later DLC could use this to provide better and more useful companions in the future.  Assuming it adds anything.

Looks like a guass rifle, I recognize the distinctive barrel from previous games.

Also, it looks like there'll be vehicles, which might be one of the new tools.  There's a screenshot with some kind of hover tank firing electricity.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 11, 2008, 04:05:29 PM »

the Anchorage DLC looks pretty cool.  I figure I'll get back to the game eventually, after I finally finish up Far Cry 2 which has been unseated by GTA IV.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 11, 2008, 05:41:44 PM »

I posted this in the console thread too, but it might get more of a response here:

How will downloading the DLC work for PC? I don't really understand how Live works for the PC version anyway, so if someone would like to enlighten me about it that would be great! I do believe you have to be signed into your account to play, which seems like a bad move in my opinion. Also, if you sign up for Live and are already playing will it move your current saves over to Live and give you the achievements or does it require you to start over from scratch?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 11, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »

I believe when you sign in to live those saves are separate from a non live signed in game.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: December 12, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »

They are separate but you can move saves to a different folder.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 12, 2008, 04:25:36 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on December 12, 2008, 03:04:23 PM

They are separate but you can move saves to a different folder.

I guess the question that remains is whether you can only play the DLC with Live enabled saves or any saves? I hope it is any saves, as I don't really want to have to be signed into Live to play.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: December 21, 2008, 01:47:33 PM »

Well, you didn't have to be signed into anything with the Oblivion official content. You just grabbed a protected .exe file or something that installed itself into the right places.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 24, 2008, 11:42:46 PM »

Were any of you with ATI cards able to get around the micro-suttering stuff? Or at least how to cap the framerate...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jeff Lackey
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 30, 2008, 04:00:24 PM »

I haven't been this enamored with a PC game in a long, long time. What I really like about it is that it truly allows you to role play. I'm at level 15, have yet to do a mission in the "main" quest, haven't seen 70% (at least) of the locations, and yet I've had a very full experience just role playing as a very stealthy, basically good at heart guy who has no problem stealing to survive in this unusual situation. The game appears to allow you to go your own way without forcing you to do everything "the right way." Kudos for allowing so many approaches that you can focus on "what would I do in this situation?" rather than "what do I need to do to win?" So, for example, getting the kid a new home (the ant quest) is a high priority in spite of running across other interesting things to do, so I complete that first and then go back to the other opportunities.

There's only one area that is significantly disappointing from a role playing POV and that is in the area of personal relationships. In a post-nuclear attack wasteland world personal relationships should be very important. There should indeed be choices and opportunities to develop sexual and romantic relationships (and I'm not talking about "hot coffee" childish animations, but real relationships that need to be developed.) It would add a lot if you had someone you really cared about somewhere and were faced with tough choices that might impact that relationship. I understand that such issues are "adult" but this is a pretty adult game (e.g. the massive graphic violence and the language.)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 30, 2008, 07:43:44 PM »

Why is it Little Lamplight is the most annoying place in the game and yet you cant kill anyone there? They just piss me off with their grown up acting I just want to run my fist down the mayor's throat.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: December 30, 2008, 08:37:15 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 30, 2008, 07:43:44 PM

Why is it Little Lamplight is the most annoying place in the game and yet you cant kill anyone there? They just piss me off with their grown up acting I just want to run my fist down the mayor's throat.

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, but I'll play it safe:

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's simple - the town is nothing but kids. If you were able to kill them, the game's rating would've skyrocketed into something that couldn't be sold. Killing is okay. Violence is okay. Killing or harming kids - that's a BIG no-no.

Additionally - can you kill the other kids in the game? I don't think it'll let you pull the trigger if you have a kid targeted elsewhere in the game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 30, 2008, 09:04:50 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Lackey on December 30, 2008, 04:00:24 PM

There's only one area that is significantly disappointing from a role playing POV and that is in the area of personal relationships. In a post-nuclear attack wasteland world personal relationships should be very important. There should indeed be choices and opportunities to develop sexual and romantic relationships (and I'm not talking about "hot coffee" childish animations, but real relationships that need to be developed.) It would add a lot if you had someone you really cared about somewhere and were faced with tough choices that might impact that relationship. I understand that such issues are "adult" but this is a pretty adult game (e.g. the massive graphic violence and the language.)

Yeah, that's how I felt about it as well.  I suspect part of it is that recent games have started to deal with things like that more realistically.  However, Bethesda doesn't have a track record of ever doing romance or real relationships so I wasn't expecting that.  But in a game that is rather dark and emotionally powerfull here and there in what it presents, the lack of any attempt at allowing for the development of a realistic relationship is a notable gap.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 13, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »

and a new patch is out.  my most important fix:

Prevent NPCs from inadvertently dying from falling.

w00t!  now I can start playing again!  I think I may just restart the game since I haven't touched it in god knows how long and probably won't remember where I left off.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: January 13, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 30, 2008, 08:37:15 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on December 30, 2008, 07:43:44 PM

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, but I'll play it safe:

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's simple - the town is nothing but kids. If you were able to kill them, the game's rating would've skyrocketed into something that couldn't be sold. Killing is okay. Violence is okay. Killing or harming kids - that's a BIG no-no.

Additionally - can you kill the other kids in the game? I don't think it'll let you pull the trigger if you have a kid targeted elsewhere in the game.

Spoiler for Hiden:
dunno about pulling the trigger, but you do kill a number of them if you take burke's offer. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: January 13, 2009, 08:29:17 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 13, 2009, 06:41:36 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
dunno about pulling the trigger, but you do kill a number of them if you take burke's offer. 

But that all happens off-screen, so that's 'different' as far as the ratings board goes.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 11, 2008, 06:40:18 PM

I believe when you sign in to live those saves are separate from a non live signed in game.

However I think you can just copy and paste your old saves into the new folder and resume from there. 
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 14, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »

Bingo Bango Bongo I'm so happy in the jungle I refuse to go...

GET OUT OF MY HEAD DAMNIT!!!!

I'm really enjoying FO3.  It's missing some of the humor found in 1&2, but it's an exceptional (and deep!) RPG in its own right.  I'm still wandering around the wasteland doing side quests and exploring and I probably have 25 hours into the game.  I've even had my first real "emotional" response in FO3, which is always the mark of a great RPG:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I went through the trouble of mediating a resolution to the Ghoul problem in Tenpenny Tower.  Roy and his kin moved in and everything seemed fine, so I left.  A while later, I heard on the radio about a report on my resolution to the dispute, but it didn't sound right.  So I finished up the quest I was on and trekked back to the tower to check things out.  I found that the humans had been slaughtered by Roy.  Man, I was PISSED.  I brought those fuckers into that building and they killed everyone - the blood is on my hands.  So I shot Roy in the head and sadly left Tenpenny Tower forever.  So I know I'll probably replay the game just to slaughter Roy & Co. before they ever get close to the structure.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 17, 2009, 01:39:20 AM »

Heres a site with the fallout 3 mod pack..mmmm female skins...assless chaps Im not sure on

http://www.fileplanet.com/fileblog/archives/2009/01/entry_865.shtml

JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 17, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 13, 2009, 03:44:38 PM

w00t!  now I can start playing again!  I think I may just restart the game since I haven't touched it in god knows how long and probably won't remember where I left off.

Might want to wait on the patch as it messed up my game pretty bad. I ended up having to go back and reinstall to 1.15 to play. And looking at their forums it doesn't look like I was the only one. Hopefully they will get it straightened out before the DLC comes out.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: January 17, 2009, 12:39:33 PM »

I just started a new one since I just reinstalled with Windows 7 (DX10 shaders, yay!) and 8GB of memory.  Wow, the difference is subtle, but it's a difference.  I can run at high detail now, and the DX10 effects add a nice bit of life the world that wasn't there.  All that memory makes the game run smooth as butter with the view distances turned up all the way to the max.

I am running through the game with cheats on, I just want to fill in the gaps of things I missed the first time around.  Found one that automatically puts all locations on the map.  I completely missed out on Greyditch for example, even though it's pretty close to Megaton.  I tried being evil, but just can't bring myself to be a bastard so I'm using a karma cheat to see some evil reactions.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 17, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »

Quote from: JCAnejo on January 17, 2009, 12:30:56 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 13, 2009, 03:44:38 PM

Might want to wait on the patch as it messed up my game pretty bad. I ended up having to go back and reinstall to 1.15 to play. And looking at their forums it doesn't look like I was the only one. Hopefully they will get it straightened out before the DLC comes out.

d'oh!  I patched but haven't gotten around to playing again.  I'll have to check the official forums to see what Kathode screwed up  icon_wink

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 17, 2009, 05:54:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 17, 2009, 03:44:29 PM

d'oh!  I patched but haven't gotten around to playing again.  I'll have to check the official forums to see what Kathode screwed up  icon_wink

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.  I don't know of any widespread issues that we've traced to the patch.  Unfortunately there's not much we can do for people who just post that it "messed up my game" and leave it at that  icon_frown  We've got QA people checking over the forums and trying to reproduce stuff.
JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 17, 2009, 08:01:23 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 17, 2009, 05:54:47 PM

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.  I don't know of any widespread issues that we've traced to the patch.  Unfortunately there's not much we can do for people who just post that it "messed up my game" and leave it at that  icon_frown  We've got QA people checking over the forums and trying to reproduce stuff.

OK guess "messed up my game" is kind of vague. All of my problems appear over in the official forums so didn't really want to try and explain them again. I am sure for most people the patch worked fine just wanted to give them a head's up on issues.

My biggest game playing annoyance after the Patch was the Vats system lagging and hanging. Tried to play through it but just drove me nuts sitting and waiting. When you think about how many times you press V. After some researching it looks like I will be updating my Video drivers and that might help that. New NVidia beta drivers came out on the 15th and appear to be recommended. Although I am in no hurry to install any "Beta" drivers. Other minor things but no deal beakers.

Only reason I installed the patch was because it was stated you would need it for the new content. Ok after installation I click on Live and set up a Gamerstag (whatever that is) It tells me I am good to go. Click on Live it asks for my password. What password it never had me set one up. It also won't let me leave that screen have to Ctrl Alt Del out of it. Try again does the same thing. Go back to the forums and yep I am not the only one with the problem. Look around a bit and find a post saying that all DLC will have to be gotten through LIVE...So hopefully that will will be fixed before the content comes out. Other then that I am not even sure what LIVE is and why I should care. Don't care about gaming with others or how they are doing or whatever. So I guess I will to research that a bit.

Now I LOVE this game and just want to play it. I work 70-80 hrs every week. Have a wife and 2 kids so gaming time is limited and I don't want to have to jump through hoops to get things working if possible. Plus the older I get the harder it is to keep up with all the changes. I understand issues come up and that is why I generally wait as long as possible to update and patch things to let people with more time on their hands find all the issues for me. So I will wait and read up on things as time allows till I can try again.

At this point I am perfectly happy playing the older version until I can get things updated properly.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 19, 2009, 01:25:40 AM »

Quote from: JCAnejo on January 17, 2009, 08:01:23 PM

Quote from: kathode on January 17, 2009, 05:54:47 PM

OK guess "messed up my game" is kind of vague. All of my problems appear over in the official forums so didn't really want to try and explain them again. I am sure for most people the patch worked fine just wanted to give them a head's up on issues.

My biggest game playing annoyance after the Patch was the Vats system lagging and hanging. Tried to play through it but just drove me nuts sitting and waiting. When you think about how many times you press V. After some researching it looks like I will be updating my Video drivers and that might help that. New NVidia beta drivers came out on the 15th and appear to be recommended. Although I am in no hurry to install any "Beta" drivers. Other minor things but no deal beakers.

OK, the VATS pause that's mentioned on the forums is definitely there, and while not game breaking it's kinda annoying.  I haven't had much time to play so that's the only issue I've seen, but it's not enough to get me to try beta drivers.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 21, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »

this made me LOL.

Because I can,
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 27, 2009, 09:06:19 PM »

I beat the game a few days ago.  It's a very enjoyable RPG and the Fallout franchise was well-served by Kathode & Co.  The world was well-done (especially since I used to live in the DC area), the quests interesting and the plot pretty neat (if not totally original).  Throughout playing it, I had the feeling of playing an A+ game.

Then I got to the ending.  It sucked.  There's no other way to put it.  I had flashbacks of KOTOR II - a great game with an entirely unfinished ending.  Not only does the quest go on rails and fall quite flat, but the "choice" at the end was so unbelievably contrived and stupid it really detracts from the overall experience. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
When I'm sitting there with a radiation-proof super mutant, a rad suit and 5 billion Rax-Xs, how the fuck can I die from 20 seconds of radiation exposure?  Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

Seriously, this is one of the all-time brain farts in the history of RPGs.  A great game - and I do mean great - was suddenly overshadowed by a giant turd of an ending.  Furthermore, I understand the purpose of the slide-show at the end.  But it certainly didn't tell me much of what I wanted to know about the areas I visited.  It wasn't even a half-assed attempt at an ending - it stunk of "OMG, we ship in two weeks and we need an ending.  Create some quick JPGs that we can show!"  As such, Fallout 3 is just the new KOTOR II - a great RPG spoiled by an ending that was obviously cut short.  I wonder if someone will create a restoration project for this one, too.

If I sound a bit bitter, I am.  It had been a while since a RPG sucked me in that much.  For the game to end with such little payoff was like getting a wonderful BJ by a supermodel and then being given a Kleenex and some lube and being told to finish by hand.   mad

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 27, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 27, 2009, 09:06:19 PM

As such, Fallout 3 is just the new KOTOR II - a great RPG spoiled by an ending that was obviously cut short.  I wonder if someone will create a restoration project for this one, too.

There's no need for a restoration as Bethesda has already announced they will be changing the ending with the third dowloadable content pack, which is due in March.  Speaking of which, the first downloadable pack was released today.

- American Dad
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 27, 2009, 11:16:11 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 27, 2009, 10:24:38 PM

As such, Fallout 3 is just the new KOTOR II - a great RPG spoiled by an ending that was obviously cut short.  I wonder if someone will create a restoration project for this one, too.

There's no need for a restoration as Bethesda has already announced they will be changing the ending with the third dowloadable content pack, which is due in March.  Speaking of which, the first downloadable pack was released today.

Downloading it now, will hopefully have some impressions later tonight.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 28, 2009, 03:27:00 AM »

Frankly, I can't say I'm all that enthused about paying to get a decent ending to the game...that kind of reminds me of JoWood trying to charge people to get a patch to The Guild.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:32:37 AM by Blackadar » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 28, 2009, 03:34:13 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 28, 2009, 03:27:00 AM

Frankly, I can't say I'm all that enthused about paying to get a decent ending to the game...that kind of reminds me of JoWood trying to charge people to get a patch to The Guild.

I don't think they're changing the ending, just giving you the option to continue playing after you finish the main storyline.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 28, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 28, 2009, 03:34:13 AM

I don't think they're changing the ending, just giving you the option to continue playing after you finish the main storyline.

Given the ending, they obviously are going to have to change it.  And they've already admitted that in interviews.  So I see Blackadar's point.

Oh, and here are my impressions of the Anchorage DLC stuff: If you wanted FO3 stripped down to a rails shooter with stimpaks and scavenging for ammo replaced with conveniently placed refill points, and the whole package limited to a couple of basic environments, you'll love it.  thumbsdown

- American Dad
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 29, 2009, 01:59:59 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 28, 2009, 10:12:24 AM

Oh, and here are my impressions of the Anchorage DLC stuff: If you wanted FO3 stripped down to a rails shooter with stimpaks and scavenging for ammo replaced with conveniently placed refill points, and the whole package limited to a couple of basic environments, you'll love it.  thumbsdown
Sweet! That's exactly what I want out of my Fallout 3 experience.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 07, 2009, 01:38:32 AM »

and the rest of the DLC is delayed.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 15, 2009, 01:38:35 AM »

saw a pic of the autosaw in my new Game Informer mag. Looks cool.

Found it today

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:29:02 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: