http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:06:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 Impressions PC Edition: now with more 8-Bit JRPG!  (Read 55659 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2008, 01:54:04 AM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 30, 2008, 01:36:42 AM

This Oblivion thing is messing up people me thinks. Luckily for me, I hated Oblivion and played it for maybe 5 hours only, if that. So even if there are similarities, I don't see them (since Oblivion was so forgettable to me) and they don't bother me. FO3 is a different (and much better IMO) game than Oblivion and the fact that they share engine doesn't mean anything, just like when The Witcher uses the same engine as NWN.

Well stated, and I have the exact same feelings here. I played Oblivion maybe 10 to 15 hours before losing interest, but FO3 has a very different feel.

For me, FO3 seems like a game that becomes something like your favorite jacket, or a great book that you enjoy or savor for a long time (like 'The Stand'). It's going to be something that's going to be around a good while.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2008, 02:00:57 AM »

How does the gameplay differ from Oblivion aside from the fact that there are guns and you are in a different setting/story? Is it a matter of traveling from town to town gathering quests/side-quests, exploring random caves (probably run down buildings instead), joining factions, talking endlessly to NPCs, etc? Or is it a completely different style of gameplay?

One of my biggest issues with Oblivion was it became repetetive, most quests felt very similar and there was not much of a variation between the different locations. Is Fallout 3 like this?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:02:31 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2008, 02:14:19 AM »

I too couldn't dig oblivion, but god damn if FO3 ain't addicting.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2008, 02:34:03 AM »

Can someone explain this whole Windows Gaming Live thing?  I signed up, but I can't load a game unless I sign into Live first.  Why?  Are my saves stored on a server somewhere?  I can't play unless I sign in or start over?  As usual, I'm probably missing something obvious here so I thank you in advance for any helpful info.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2008, 02:47:19 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on October 30, 2008, 02:34:03 AM

Can someone explain this whole Windows Gaming Live thing?  I signed up, but I can't load a game unless I sign into Live first.  Why?  Are my saves stored on a server somewhere?  I can't play unless I sign in or start over?  As usual, I'm probably missing something obvious here so I thank you in advance for any helpful info.

It's xbox live... you get achievements... I um... I think that's it.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2008, 03:02:48 AM »

Quote from: lex on October 29, 2008, 10:41:35 PM

OK....so let's try this (I've kept them the original size, so apologies for messing up anyone's screens)

This is running at 1024x768 at whatever the "Medium" settings with the shadows off.

Thanks Lex, that looks decent to me.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2008, 03:15:52 AM »

Quote from: kratz on October 30, 2008, 02:47:19 AM

Quote from: Arnir on October 30, 2008, 02:34:03 AM

It's xbox live... you get achievements... I um... I think that's it.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Not a big deal, and you're not missing much, Arnir, unless you have an Xbox 360 and like to add up achievement points on that. It can be a fun 'side game' trying to get as many achievements as possible, but other than that, it's no big deal. I wouldn't even bother with it if you don't have a 360, or don't care about achievements.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2008, 03:55:32 AM »

Thanks a lot for those screenshots, Lex.  That doesn't look too bad at all.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2008, 04:56:24 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 30, 2008, 02:00:57 AM

How does the gameplay differ from Oblivion aside from the fact that there are guns and you are in a different setting/story? Is it a matter of traveling from town to town gathering quests/side-quests, exploring random caves (probably run down buildings instead), joining factions, talking endlessly to NPCs, etc? Or is it a completely different style of gameplay?

One of my biggest issues with Oblivion was it became repetetive, most quests felt very similar and there was not much of a variation between the different locations. Is Fallout 3 like this?

There is absolutely no traveling, quests, exploring, factions or talking to NPCs whatsoever. You just sit in one room and shoot crap, a completely different style of gameplay!

biggrin

Being an RPG, of course it has all that!! So far (about 20 hours into the game) the quests, locations, enemies, loot, etc. vary quite nicely. Now mind you, it's 200 years after nuclear war, most of the buildings are destroyed, everything is gray/brown, lots of garbage and human skeletons/bones around. If it's a subway tunnel, then all of them look pretty much the same (duh!), but the game has lots of memorable locations. Seeing half-destroyed Capitol was weird. Museum of Technology was a great location. Quests are also interesting so far, some interesting quirks to the story, fun sequences (like when you are attacking mutants with a Brotherhood squad), etc.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2008, 05:07:57 AM »

Yup, it's a wasteland.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2008, 06:29:52 AM »

Out of interest is a lot of the attraction seeing places you know in ruins and if so is the appeal going to be the same for those outside the US.

I've not played any of the fallout games:(

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2008, 06:53:50 AM »

Quote from: Tals on October 30, 2008, 06:29:52 AM

Out of interest is a lot of the attraction seeing places you know in ruins and if so is the appeal going to be the same for those outside the US.

being set in DC doesnt really matter. It's very hard to tell it's actually DC most of the time. it won't ruin a thing.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2008, 07:21:58 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 30, 2008, 06:53:50 AM

being set in DC doesnt really matter. It's very hard to tell it's actually DC most of the time. it won't ruin a thing.

Damn smile I've just purchased The Witcher so i'll play through that one first. On my must buy list though

Tals

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2008, 07:27:43 AM »

Came across this, which is quite interesting

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42026.html

A retrospective look at the fallout series - good for people like me who know nothing about it, and possibly interesting for those that do

Tals

warning

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »

Damn I was up way too late playing this.  I'm freaking tired this morning.

I love this game.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2008, 11:58:03 AM »

This is the first game in years where I actually thought "Wow this is cool and fun".  having a blast alhtough I did have to restart after I entered the live code; had no idea what it was for at the time.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2008, 12:27:55 PM »

So what's the game manual like? Fallout 1/2 had fun, informative, "ring binder" manuals. If this just comes with today's typical "Put disc in DVD drive, and click 'install'" flyers, I might be inclined to go for the Steam version.

There was mild controversy here in the D.C. area over them putting Fallout 3 posters of various D.C. monuments in ruins in the subway stations. I thought it was kinda cool, but the papers got a fair number of angry letters about it. Most weren't gamers, needless to say.  disgust icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2008, 12:52:04 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 30, 2008, 12:27:55 PM

So what's the game manual like? Fallout 1/2 had fun, informative, "ring binder" manuals. If this just comes with today's typical "Put disc in DVD drive, and click 'install'" flyers, I might be inclined to go for the Steam version.

It's got Fallout 1/2 flavor but it's still pretty skimpy.  You get cute Fallout Boy illustrations everywhere and bits of flavor text, but as an example I was looking for information on tag skills and didn't see them mentioned once anywhere.

Steam has the manual online, you can see it for yourself.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2008, 01:22:05 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 30, 2008, 12:52:04 PM

Steam has the manual online, you can see it for yourself.

Thank you. I was wondering where the steam version manual was, as I couldn't find it anywhere in the Steam folder or my Start Menu. That said, I ordered the 500 page hardback strat guide and it arrives today, so I've been holding off further exploration into apocalyptic DC until I get it.  smile

Tals: that Fallout video was excellent. Tons of background info. thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:24:47 PM by Jeff Jones » Logged
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2008, 01:51:15 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 30, 2008, 11:26:10 AM

Damn I was up way too late playing this.  I'm freaking tired this morning.

I love this game.

Me too. I was planning to go to bed before midnight and ended up playing until 1:30am.

That Moira NPC is cracking me up, one of the best NPCs I've seen in all the games I've played. I am actually looking forward to talking to her when I complete one of her missions. smile And the missions are interesting.

What puts me a bit off is the computers in FO3, including PipBoy-3000. They were developed in 2077. Ok, it's an alternative reality, I get that, but still, the guys have fusion reactors, laser rifles and freaking butler robots, why couldn't they invent a color screen and scroll bars? How the hell do they program those robots?

One of the side effects of this (that bothers me the most) is a terrible map in PB-3000 - the world map is so-so, but the local map is often unreadable. I guess it adds some flavor to the game and maybe it's coming from FO1/FO2, but it still bothers me.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2008, 02:02:25 PM »

You all should be ashamed. I had been avoiding this title, but this thread has sent me over the edge  crybaby

Copy on it's way to me, now how I am going to play this, the witcher and warhammer i'm not really sure  eek

I think the witcher may have to be put aside for a rainy day.

Tals

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2008, 02:04:44 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 30, 2008, 01:51:15 PM

What puts me a bit off is the computers in FO3, including PipBoy-3000. They were developed in 2077. Ok, it's an alternative reality, I get that, but still, the guys have fusion reactors, laser rifles and freaking butler robots, why couldn't they invent a color screen and scroll bars? How the hell do they program those robots?

Post-apocalyptic future as the 1950s would imagine it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2008, 02:23:15 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 30, 2008, 02:04:44 PM

plus they've gone through a nuclear war, so I imagine they're working with the best they have available after they create the stuff they need to survive.  It's not Viewsonic is cranking out LCD's  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2008, 02:32:02 PM »

Quote from: Tals on October 30, 2008, 02:02:25 PM

You all should be ashamed. I had been avoiding this title, but this thread has sent me over the edge  crybaby

Copy on it's way to me, now how I am going to play this, the witcher and warhammer i'm not really sure  eek

I think the witcher may have to be put aside for a rainy day.

Tals

I actually put Warhammer aside for now and finished the Witcher EE last week.  I haven't really logged in since Fable 2 came out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2008, 03:11:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2008, 02:23:15 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 30, 2008, 02:04:44 PM

plus they've gone through a nuclear war, so I imagine they're working with the best they have available after they create the stuff they need to survive.  It's not Viewsonic is cranking out LCD's  icon_wink

The computers we encounter in the stores, subways, museums, etc. were created way before the war.

I understand that FO is supposed to be kind of like a science fiction book about the future that was written in 1950s, I just don't like it, because it affects my map smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »

I would just like to state....I now have Dogmeat following me around!

icon_lol
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »

Did you play Stalker?  Have you been to Chernoybl?

morlac00 on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 30, 2008, 03:51:54 PM

icon_lol

thumbsup I cant wait to find him. I hear he will go get items for you.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2008, 06:53:31 PM »

Ran into andale last night. Started to talk and could tell that place was freaky. According to the old guy, it is. Can't advance past that since I dont have a high lock pick.

Came out of a subway and was met with 3 talon mercs. Apparently there's a price on my head now for 1000 caps. Must find who did this and kill them. Traveling main roads are dangerous but rewarding. Found plenty of raider outposts restocking with ammo. Have over 40 stim packs now w/o buying.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 30, 2008, 02:14:19 AM

If I had to sum up my feelings in a sentence, it would be this quote. 

I am convinced that a combination of the setting, the story, and VATS are the key reasons for this (for me).

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 30, 2008, 06:53:31 PM

Ran into andale last night. Started to talk and could tell that place was freaky. According to the old guy, it is. Can't advance past that since I dont have a high lock pick.

Came out of a subway and was met with 3 talon mercs. Apparently there's a price on my head now for 1000 caps. Must find who did this and kill them. Traveling main roads are dangerous but rewarding. Found plenty of raider outposts restocking with ammo. Have over 40 stim packs now w/o buying.

Read the note you find on the mercs, it will hint at who it is, but I'll be damned if I have any clue where to find them.  Have been attacked 5 times now by groups of 3 Talon Mercs.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2008, 07:00:47 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 30, 2008, 06:56:13 PM

Quote from: jersoc on October 30, 2008, 02:14:19 AM

If I had to sum up my feelings in a sentence, it would be this quote. 

I am convinced that a combination of the setting, the story, and VATS are the key reasons for this (for me).

Yep, 100% in agreement.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2008, 07:02:27 PM »

icon_lol

i haven't read this definitively, but do you need the perk to get him as a companion?  i restarted last night with that one in mind, just in case, but i haven't looked through the massive guide to see (avoiding any spoilers).  that guide did help me redesign my character though and i have had more fun since doing so all blind before.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2008, 07:03:28 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 30, 2008, 07:02:27 PM

icon_lol

i haven't read this definitively, but do you need the perk to get him as a companion?  i restarted last night with that one in mind, just in case, but i haven't looked through the massive guide to see (avoiding any spoilers).  that guide did help me redesign my character though and i have had more fun since doing so all blind before.

No perk needed, just have to find him, and won't spoil the rest of it for you unless someone asks.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2008, 07:33:12 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 30, 2008, 07:03:28 PM

Quote from: Caine on October 30, 2008, 07:02:27 PM

icon_lol

No perk needed, just have to find him, and won't spoil the rest of it for you unless someone asks.

thanks arkon.  that frees up a perk point.  i still may have 1 point in it, but i think i can handle not having cinderella's mutant army back me up with every chance encounter near their grazing spot. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2008, 07:35:58 PM »

I could've sworn that I remember there being a key in rather plain sight somewhere...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2008, 08:21:28 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 30, 2008, 07:35:58 PM

I could've sworn that I remember there being a key in rather plain sight somewhere...

hmm, i'll go back and look then.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »

How do I view the front of my character. When I rotate the camera my character turns with it so I keep seeing his back.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2008, 08:58:01 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 30, 2008, 08:46:08 PM

How do I view the front of my character. When I rotate the camera my character turns with it so I keep seeing his back.

PC: Hold F and rotate camera
360: Hold LB
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2008, 09:21:53 PM »

You can also use the mouse wheel to scroll closer or farther.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: