http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 04:39:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 DLC: Point Lookout  (Read 1863 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:23:02 AM »

looks like this time it's a bunch of Hick Zombies, or maybe just regular hicks, I can never tell.  It's due June 23rd, alot sooner than I figured it would be out.  as much as I love Fallout 3 I think I'm starting to feel burned out on it, so I may end up waiting to grab this.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:33:33 AM »

Damn it! Now I have to decide (again) if I'm going to wait to finally play Fallout until after this DLC, or just go.  I should probably just go, but it gives me such a good excuse to play other games!  smile

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:52:37 PM »

I really hope this DLC will have a patch with it that will bring back my stable performance.  Since downloading Broken Steel my game hard locks every time I try and exit and occasionally will crash while trying to load a save game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 02:11:55 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 09, 2009, 12:52:37 PM

I really hope this DLC will have a patch with it that will bring back my stable performance.  Since downloading Broken Steel my game hard locks every time I try and exit and occasionally will crash while trying to load a save game.

I started getting the freeze on exit with the patch that came out just before Broken Steel, luckily it's something I can ctrlo-alt-del and end the fallout3 process..  apparently Bethesda QA didn't expect anyone wanting to quit the game  icon_wink

Because I can,
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:43:52 PM »

I'm in for the DLC.  I think the price they've been charging has been fair for the amount of content added.

And yes the freeze on exit is annoying.  I can't help but wonder if MS Live might be to blame, it's been a royal P.I.T.A. with my PC.

16-bit and loving it!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »

well, this is due on Tuesday.  any bets on how many days it takes to get it right this time?  Tongue

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »

So I'll be getting the DLC on Tuesday, which will make it about $120 invested into the game (between the lunchbox edition, special edition guide, and four DLC packs), when I haven't even put in eight hours playtime since getting it.  :facepalm:

Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 07:43:44 AM »

I normally don't bother with DLC, but Fallout 3 was such an excellent game that it deserves more of my money. I would've paid the regular price plus the price of the DLC just for the original game.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »

When Fallout 3 came out I ended up playing it twice right away in order to see most of the game world.  The first character finished the main story around level 18.  My second character I stopped with the main story not quite complete and several levels below the max.  This second character is the one that I've played through the three expansions released so far, and he is now at level 30.

With this in mind, I decided to go back to my first character, and started him on the Operation: Anchorage expansion so I could at least get the good armor before using him for Point Lookout.  Holy crap, Operation: Anchorage is even worse the second time through.  I thought it was "ok" back in January when I was still flush with Fallout 3 excitement, but now, especially in the aftermath of Broken Steel, it seems really, really shallow and dull.  I'm struggling to finish it off so my character is ready for tomorrow. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »

so what exactly does this DLC include? I can't find much on it.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 22, 2009, 08:15:40 PM

It's an new adventure in a new area, which apparently includes a swamp.  The devs say it's a very large open area to move around in and presumably there will be a few new enemies and weapons.  It doesn't raise the level cap or do anything like that.  Most expect they are going with a "scary" vibe with this DLC.

- American Dad
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 08:22:16 PM »

that's it? dear god. this dlc sure is lacking. i bet they want 10 bucks again too. looks like another pass.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 08:29:13 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 22, 2009, 08:22:16 PM

that's it? dear god. this dlc sure is lacking. i bet they want 10 bucks again too. looks like another pass.

I'm not sure what you are expecting.  The previous DLC's have followed this model, apparently with financial success (hence the announcment of the additional two.)  The only one that did much more was Broken Steel, which increased the level cap.

It's not a bad model and it's not financial stretch by current expansion standards.  If you sold the first three as a package, you would be offering three major new quests, with a bunch of new weapons, bad guys, and areas, and a level increase.  A good 10-12 hours of gameplay. That's about typical for a $30 expansion.

- American Dad
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 08:49:21 PM »

Anyone know if the difficulty scales to your character's level upon entering the new, swampy zone?   

I'd hate to pay 10 bucks for level 5 appropriate content when my character is level 20 something.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:07:46 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 22, 2009, 08:49:21 PM

Anyone know if the difficulty scales to your character's level upon entering the new, swampy zone?   

I'd hate to pay 10 bucks for level 5 appropriate content when my character is level 20 something.

All the DLC's have been that way, so I don't see why this one would be different.

- American Dad
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 01:42:31 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 22, 2009, 09:07:46 PM

All the DLC's have been that way, so I don't see why this one would be different.

I was unaware.  Thanks!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 03:39:40 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 22, 2009, 08:19:47 PM

Quote from: jersoc on June 22, 2009, 08:15:40 PM

It's an new adventure in a new area, which apparently includes a swamp.  The devs say it's a very large open area to move around in and presumably there will be a few new enemies and weapons.  It doesn't raise the level cap or do anything like that.  Most expect they are going with a "scary" vibe with this DLC.

Found this in an online interview and sent it to a friend asking what Point Lookout was all about:

It is a boardwalk, a swampy area that wasn’t directly hit by bombs, like the Pitt, but it’s got tons of mutations from all the runoff of the water. So you have the Hillfolks, which are the locals. There are three variations; you saw one called the Scrapper. And then there is a bigger one that wields an axe, sort of our melee guy. The area has a lighthouse and a bit of a board walk, so we just used the location and fictionalized it in terms of the boardwalk, the ferris wheel, the lighthouse. There is an old cathedral there, graveyards, we call it a mini-wasteland. We wanted to recreate the experience of a wasteland in this DLC.

Also you can read about it here where it notes it is an all new area, 1/5 the size of the original maps and not recommended for characters under level 17.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 05:04:28 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 23, 2009, 03:39:40 AM

Also you can read about it here where it notes it is an all new area, 1/5 the size of the original maps and not recommended for characters under level 17.

That's interesting and the first I've heard about this DLC being recommended for a particular level.  Not that I'm complaining, and I think it's fair to assume that almost all the people interested in Fallout 3 DLC at this point are people with high level characters. 

All that said, the official page for the DLC doesn't say anything about level 17 and I won't be surprised if it's like Operation: Anchorage and The Pitt, where a character straight out of Vault 101 had access to those new areas.

- American Dad
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »

Looks really good, but I probably won't be picking it up until after I finish The Pitt and Broken Steel.  Right now Fallout 3 is pretty low in the backlog, so I'm not even sure when that will be.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 23, 2009, 05:04:28 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 23, 2009, 03:39:40 AM

That's interesting and the first I've heard about this DLC being recommended for a particular level.  Not that I'm complaining, and I think it's fair to assume that almost all the people interested in Fallout 3 DLC at this point are people with high level characters. 

All that said, the official page for the DLC doesn't say anything about level 17 and I won't be surprised if it's like Operation: Anchorage and The Pitt, where a character straight out of Vault 101 had access to those new areas.

I'm sure you'll have access to it immediately but several sources on the 'net are saying basically the same thing about the difficulty level of it. Another quote:

In Point Lookout, the Raider niche has been filled by Tribals, fervent cultists who paint their faces and utter religiously-themed battle cries. Playing as a Level 20+ character, we actually had a tougher time killing a few Tribals with a Chinese Assault Rifle than we expected. Point Lookout is more difficult than much of the previous DLC, and is tailored for players who have beaten Broken Steel and are on their way to level 30. In fact, we’re told the initial message clueing players in to Point Lookout’s location will include a warning that it is quite dangerous. The Lead Producer of Fallout DLC translated: players should be at least Level 17 or so, and even those in the early 20s will face a healthy challenge.

-craig

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 07:38:44 PM »

Yeah, my low 20s level character is finding it a bit of a challenge.  Even with winterized armor some of the enemies do a lot of damage and I've been knocked down hitpoint wise a few times already.  Plus the enemies are tough - when it takes more then two shots from the rare plasma rifle to kill a tribal you know they've adjusted the difficulty.

Not that I'm complaining.   icon_lol

- American Dad
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 07:46:20 PM »

With the last DLC, you paid $10 for an ending to the original game, because it sure didn't come with one.  I liked much of FO3, but I can't/won't give Bethesda any more money on the game after that train wreck.  It's like if the gith in Mass Effect turned up at the end of the game, took off their masks and they were a bunch of Alfred E Newman clones and all decided to commit mass suicide. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on June 23, 2009, 07:46:20 PM

With the last DLC, you paid $10 for an ending to the original game, because it sure didn't come with one.  I liked much of FO3, but I can't/won't give Bethesda any more money on the game after that train wreck.  It's like if the gith in Mass Effect turned up at the end of the game, took off their masks and they were a bunch of Alfred E Newman clones and all decided to commit mass suicide. 

I thought the original ending sucked, but that doesn't mean it didn't have one.  The main story came to a conclusion and ended in a way that the devs thought would be powerful.  I guess you hated paying for HL2's episode one, as well, right, because Half-Life 2's ending was arguably as bad.

I've gotten a ton of enjoyment out of Fallout 3 and the first three DLCs cost $30 and were the equal to most expansion packs.  So at no level do I feel ripped off.

- American Dad
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »

I really don't get this complaint, or more precisely the complaint that the game actually ended. From what I recall, both original Fallout games (1&2) had a definite end as well and then when Bethesda does the exact same thing they get whacked for it. Even worse, the first one had a time limit and when time ran out you were done no matter what was going on. Thankfully they patched that out so that you could take your sweet time and explore, but the game still ended with the main quest was completed. Fallout 3 continued this 'tradition'.

Still, I'm glad they made an effort to address this as I really wanted to keep the game going after the main quest. Broken Steel removed this "hard ending" and allowed the game to continue (basically open-ended) after you complete the main quest. Seems to me to be a difference in the current gaming landscape and the popularity of "sand box" type games which weren't really all that prevalent all those years ago.

I've got 120+ hours invested in FO3 now and am still looking forward to additional DLC.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:07:42 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »

from the lack of bad news posts it looks like it was a smooth launch this time.  way to go Bethesda!

Because I can,
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »

Just a quick questions...if you uninstall the game and reinstall it, can you redownload the DLC?  That is the only thing I am worried about (I do yearly wipes of my computer and reinstall the OS).

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 10:08:54 PM »

Yeah you can, it's like any other Xbox Marketplace download.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »

Quote from: madpeon on June 25, 2009, 10:08:54 PM

Thank you smile  I never used the LIVE Marketplace before...was just worried smile

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on June 26, 2009, 10:47:26 AM

Quote from: madpeon on June 25, 2009, 10:08:54 PM

Thank you smile  I never used the LIVE Marketplace before...was just worried smile

No need, the Marketplace will allow you to download anything you've purchased as many times as you like.

-craig

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: