http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:54:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 -- DL content  (Read 8019 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 28, 2009, 10:24:24 AM

STopped playing this a while ago, waiting for the DLC, and now, no PS3 DLC in sight? why the heck not?

Uhh, see above?  Exclusivity, just like Sony paid for some stuff to be exclusive to the PS3.  It works both ways.

Anyways, if this is the road Bethasda chooses to travel , I'm out of all future games for the PS3 from them.... sigh...

Aren't you limited enough by the game selection on the PS3 as it is?   icon_biggrin

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2009, 10:48:42 AM »

well, albeit small, its the only way I can send a message as it is. I really dont think there's any use sending a letter or anything of the kind, and I have no wish to go clamoring on various other PS3 or bethesda forums, since well, honestly, I dont believe it has any effect at all.

Regarding exclusivity owned by MS, isnt that just a rumour? The game IS out on the ps3 after all...

A new one
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2009, 10:53:43 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 28, 2009, 10:48:42 AM

Regarding exclusivity owned by MS, isnt that just a rumour? The game IS out on the ps3 after all...

Todd Howard announced at E3 2008 that "Substantial" DLC for Fallout 3 would be exclusive to XBox.  Not sure what substantial means, but it does mean that some of the DLC will be exclusive (maybe only timed?).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2009, 11:37:09 AM »

DLC for a game like Fallout means squat to me.  The chances of me even finishing the original game are close to zero so I'm not going to go about spending money for MORE content.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

Nothing this week.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 28, 2009, 11:37:09 AM

DLC for a game like Fallout means squat to me.  The chances of me even finishing the original game are close to zero so I'm not going to go about spending money for MORE content.

I'm waiting to play the DLC till I finish the Vault 87 mission. I've got 44 hours in on the game and I don't have a clue as to how far I'm through the whole thing. However, once I get done with this mission I'll go play the DLC, just at least so I feel like I got my money's worth.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »

Quote from: KC on January 28, 2009, 01:01:47 PM

Nothing this week.

wrong thread? ;-)

A new one
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2009, 01:51:37 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 28, 2009, 11:37:09 AM

The chances of you playing the original game are close to zero because you waste all your time on demos and lame pc games from 40 years ago.

On topic: I DL'd but have not played it yet.  Not liking the feedback so far...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2009, 03:04:59 PM »

Gamespy gave it 3.5/5 with a lot of the same comments.

I was hoping to get to this today, but it's a snow day, so my kid is home.

I've been thinking about it, though, and I guess I'm surprised that people were thinking this would have RPG elements and let you loot bodies.  I thought it was pretty clear that this thing was a simulation of a battle-that kind of said shooter to me right from the beginning.  And how, exactly, would you take stuff with you out of the sim?  Also, the length doesn't bother me, as I have no doubt that this kind of game would get tiresome at much longer.  Really, the only sticking point for me is the price.  I probably would have been more comfortable at 500 points versus 800.  But I'm in now, so I'll do my best to enjoy it.  I'm hoping the Pittsburgh DLC makes up for it, content-wise, though, and doesn't cost a lot more.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »

We put a small trailer out for it if you want to see some of the sights-

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44819.html
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 28, 2009, 03:04:59 PM

And how, exactly, would you take stuff with you out of the sim?

Was wondering the same thing... you don't.  icon_wink

Don't think this is really any kind of a spoiler but just in case:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You are helping the Outcast group get into a locked vault / cache of weapons, I assume from the period in question. The only way to unlock the vault is to complete the simulation campaign and they need you to do that for them. Once complete, you (apparently) get your pick from the cache in question.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2009, 04:28:43 PM »

Nevermind, carry on.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:55:25 PM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2009, 06:07:58 PM »

Was there anything besides the new area in the DLC?  I had read earlier about there being some "dog armor" at some point and some other items that might be purcashable at vendors?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2009, 07:25:13 PM »

My impressions on playing this: 

I loved it.  It was a nice little scenario of shootyness, and you got to see a little of the war.  Even with the ammo dispensers and the Health dispensers at regular intervals, I didn't feel so superhuman as to always charge in.   The mission is broken into two sections:  The Guns of Navarrone (haha, I mean Alaska) and Operation Anchorage.  I enjoyed the narrow focus of the sim and the linearity, but that's because I run into 'WhatdoIdonow' confusion in games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion.  It was nice to have an extended linear section for a bit.  I also liked that you could Run and Gun if you wanted, or stealth out and solo it.  Be aware, even though your gear is 'reset' for the sim, your skills are not.  So if you are a gunbunny in the main game, you will likely be one here too.  If you are a stealther, then that really should be your option in the sim too.

Just be aware, after this point, I might accidently mention some spoilers.  I'm just giving people fair warning in case I forget to tag them.

The Guns section tasks you with taking out three artillery bunkers.  I was a little annoyed when 'Benji' just climbed off on a rock face, and then discovered that I could not follow him.  For part of the mission, you are solo, and the second half, you have Benji backing you up.  It was fun, it was pretty direct, and I want that sniper rifle.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Throughout the whole DLC, Benji has 'plot immunity'.  I ran into several attacks in which I let him get one or two guys before I jumped in to help.  On the balancing side to that, you don't get XP from his kills, unless you do a majority of the damage to the enemy.  So I tried to abuse the immunity as little as possible.

The Operation Anchorage section promotes you to an officer.  You must build your squad, pick your own gear, and assault 3 objectives.  The objectives are Tank Outpost, Listening Post, Pulse Field.  You are warned against going to the pulse field first.    I took a loadout of an Infantryman, a Grenadier, A Sniper for my troop.  (Benji also comes with you.  See previous spoiler for info on him).  Each objective always has a interim encounter (Overrun outpost, Abandoned Mine, Trenches).  You issue orders to your squad through Benji, and he can also call in reinforcements.  Two things you need to know about your squad.  One - Reinforcements are one use squaddies.  Two, you get your squad back after completing each of the initial two objectives (Tank Depot, Listening Post).  When you go for the pulse field, it's you and Benji again, no squaddies.

I didn't like the 'boss fight' at the end. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
The first time, I failed at my speech check, and the Commander ripped me a new one with my sword.  It didn't help that in all the circle strafing, I had hit my own side so they were gunning for me too.  Ugh.  On the reload, I managed to succeed at my speech skill check, the big bad commits suicide, and the sim is over.

Also, after the fight:
Spoiler for Hiden:
YAY, I get to open the armory now.  Nice Winterized Armor (looks like power armor, T51B, but doesn't seem to need the skill for it).  Got a Gauss Rifle, the Commander's Shock Sword, other goodies.  While I was looting, a power struggle breaks out amongst the Outcast unit and they kill each other.  Whee..  I walk away with new gear!!!  FEAR MY MINIGUN, MUTANTS!

If you see 'Intel Briefcases' pick them up.  I found 6 of the ten, but couldn't find any way to go back into the sim yet.  Nice set piece, good addon to the game.  Considering the use of new assets (art and voice) I think it was worth 10 bucks.  Can't wait to see what the next two add.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2009, 08:05:55 PM »

That guy Kathode who keeps posting in this thread is a producer on Fallout 3. Go back and read one of his recent posts.   icon_wink

- American Dad
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 28, 2009, 08:05:55 PM

That guy Kathode who keeps posting in this thread is a producer on Fallout 3. Go back and read one of his recent posts.   icon_wink

'He' is actually a 'she'.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »

i finished this up pretty quickly last night and i have to agree with dreamshadow on all accounts, right down to the last part of the sim portion. 

i also enjoyed the fight up to the sim portion as you need to help (or not, if you want) the initial contact make it to base.  my biggest complaint in that portion was accidentally tagging him with a round, which forced me to restart the section twice. 

the first half of the sim is pretty cool as it puts you back into a newbie's boots and forces you to take it slower than a high level character needs to worry about.  it isn't too hard though as the enemy ai is prone to looking the other way while on patrol, letting you knife them in the back if you choose.  it picks up pretty quickly though and you will be running and gunning with a full range of weapons, including the gauss (which is a damn fine distance weapon).

the squad section is decent, but i am torn as to how effective they are.  the first half of the mission, i lost a man without even seeing him die.  the snipers took down the rest of the squad later, leaving all of them for me and benji.  overall, the level and environments are pretty cool, nevermind that the doctor keeps her patients in an open door tent in their skivvies without so much a heater or blanket in sight.  hehe.  both parts of this section are fun and give you so options, however they limit your weapon choices down to a set gear, so i can imagine it would be much harder if you went as a sniper or heavy.  (you can improve your loadout with a speech challenge though.)

for some reason, they don't let you take your squad into the last part, which is pretty dumb, imo.  also, you don't really have much control over the squad.  i really wish they had added some form of brother in arms style management at least, as they stand, they all run around and there's no strategy in who you take with you.  i would say not to take more than one missile guy though.  they tend to hurt friendlies as well as enemies.

overall, i enjoyed it, even the wth?! ish ending you get post sim.  it makes sense though, and you can get an explanation for why. 

best touch?  (watching a squad posing for a photo, which is immediately recognizable for anyone who has thoroughly explored.)  love the loot too.
Spoiler for Hiden:
one thing that i noticed though, is after getting the suit, i was able to equip any other power suit without training, not complaining, but it means anyone able to survive to the starting point can get a big twinking early on.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2009, 01:24:13 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 28, 2009, 08:38:24 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on January 28, 2009, 08:05:55 PM

'He' is actually a 'she'.

I almost fell for it biggrin
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2009, 01:56:04 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 28, 2009, 11:44:34 PM

the first half of the sim is pretty cool as it puts you back into a newbie's boots and forces you to take it slower than a high level character needs to worry about.

If you mean "newbie" in terms of gear then I agree.  But not in terms of stats/abilities.  As far as I can tell the two parts of the sim treat you the same way, which is that you are reduced in effectiveness.  At least I was, as in both parts I had moments of point blank shots being limited to 72% chance to hit and other stuff that didn't make much sense on a character with 100 in the small weapons skill.  And you still get your perks, which was weird when the mysterious stranger kept showing up in SIMULATION to kill chinese soldiers for me.

the squad section is decent, but i am torn as to how effective they are.  the first half of the mission, i lost a man without even seeing him die.  the snipers took down the rest of the squad later, leaving all of them for me and benji.  overall, the level and environments are pretty cool, nevermind that the doctor keeps her patients in an open door tent in their skivvies without so much a heater or blanket in sight.  hehe.  both parts of this section are fun and give you so options, however they limit your weapon choices down to a set gear, so i can imagine it would be much harder if you went as a sniper or heavy.  (you can improve your loadout with a speech challenge though.)

The squaddies seemed a rather odd choice to add.  Sometimes they were very effective for me and other times they ran off and didn't do much.  And sometimes they stood in the way which lead to me shooting them in the back as VATS played out.  A couple of them refused to enter the listening post when I got to the buiding proper, making me think it was because of their loadout (sniper and missile guy).  Since you can't change your squad at that point, I had to finish the building with the other two.

And the load out options are annoying given you can't acquire other weapons for the most part.  I used sniper for part of the listening post missing then ran all the way back to the base and switched to the fireteam loadout for inside the building since a sniper rifle, gauss rifle, and useless pistol were pretty ineffective in close quarters.  Since you can do that, it seemed stupid that they limited my weapons that way.  And despite the apparent importance of my task, no one offered me power armor, which made no sense to me.

I'm not going to get too upset since Bethesda was pretty upfront all along that this first pack was pretty much combat only.  I am disappointed that they couldn't come up with anything more interesting then a very linear shooter, however.  The holotapes were an interesting addition that was used too little to create a compelling backstory to the sequence and it's there that I think the whole package could have been elevated.  Forcing the player into adopting different gameplay mechanics is probably my biggest criticism.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2009, 01:38:00 AM »

and the rest of the DLC is delayed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2009, 01:43:20 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 07, 2009, 01:38:00 AM

Damn.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on February 07, 2009, 01:43:20 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 07, 2009, 01:38:00 AM

Damn.

mildly disappointed, but i can get caught up on other games. 

of course, by the time these two come out, i will be pretty well addicted to sacred 2, so i might not even grab these for a while.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2009, 11:46:36 PM »

We're showing the second DLC, "The Pitt," at DICE this week.  Here's a hands-on preview courtesy of the Escapist. 

First, some background: This second of three planned DLC packs is set in Pittsburgh, PA, which has become a center for raiders and ne'er-do-wells. The name, The Pitt, is a play on both the name of the city, as well as the dire conditions of life in this hole. Sure, life isn't really fab anywhere, there was a nuclear holocaust after all, but The Pitt brings things to a whole new level.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2009, 12:30:25 AM »

Quote from: kathode on February 19, 2009, 11:46:36 PM

We're showing the second DLC, "The Pitt," at DICE this week.  Here's a hands-on preview courtesy of the Escapist. 

First, some background: This second of three planned DLC packs is set in Pittsburgh, PA, which has become a center for raiders and ne'er-do-wells. The name, The Pitt, is a play on both the name of the city, as well as the dire conditions of life in this hole. Sure, life isn't really fab anywhere, there was a nuclear holocaust after all, but The Pitt brings things to a whole new level.

I don't suppose you can make any kind of vague comment about the prospects for DLC or other material past the announced stuff can you?

I didn't think so.   icon_lol

- American Dad
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2009, 12:31:59 AM »

Quote from: kathode on February 19, 2009, 11:46:36 PM

Is the house I grew up in going to be in it?

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2009, 02:44:08 AM »

Trailer for The Pitt is out!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46717.html
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2009, 04:26:17 AM »

The Pitt looks great...i am replaying Fallout 3 at the moment(2nd playthrough),but i have decided to stop,i am half way through the main story with about 75% of side quests done..as i am level 20,and i think i will wait until the last DLC is out with that 'rank to 30' update with it,so that my XP isnt getting wasted

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2009, 06:02:45 AM »

Quote from: kathode on March 16, 2009, 02:44:08 AM

Release Date?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2009, 06:23:15 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on March 16, 2009, 06:02:45 AM

Release Date?

I heard March 24th at some point.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2009, 06:23:15 AM

Release Date?

Popular date, also date for CoDWaW DLC and that of Midnight Club LA.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2009, 01:47:09 PM »

Release Date?

The trailer shows that same date at the end - March 24th. Also interesting to see that none of the combat footage posted used VATS... is that disabled in The Pitt?  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2009, 02:29:06 PM »

Looks nice.  I still haven't put more than 8 hours into this so far, and at this point, I think I'm just going to move it down the queue and play it through with all the DLC already in place. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2009, 02:33:52 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 16, 2009, 01:47:09 PM

Release Date?

The trailer shows that same date at the end - March 24th. Also interesting to see that none of the combat footage posted used VATS... is that disabled in The Pitt?  icon_neutral

it might be the idea that everyone who's interested in the DLC already knows about VATS and they didn't want to waste time showing it with so much else to show.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2009, 02:59:29 PM »

BTW, I finally played Anchorage last week, and I have to say that I really loved it.  A refreshing change of pace.  Sure, the engine isn't really designed for FPS gameplay, but it worked fine as a brief aside.  Honestly, I can't believe that people came down on the team for trying something new.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2009, 03:11:44 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 16, 2009, 02:59:29 PM

BTW, I finally played Anchorage last week, and I have to say that I really loved it.  A refreshing change of pace.  Sure, the engine isn't really designed for FPS gameplay, but it worked fine as a brief aside.  Honestly, I can't believe that people came down on the team for trying something new.

I think the problem was people expecting them to make the DLC for FO3 more RPG like since the game is kinda a RPG.  that said, a Fallout FPS could be kinda cool, maybe something set in the Canadian occupation.

Because I can,
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2009, 04:21:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2009, 02:33:52 PM

Release Date?

it might be the idea that everyone who's interested in the DLC already knows about VATS and they didn't want to waste time showing it with so much else to show.

I apologize for asking, but I really don't know, will the Pitt pack support VATS?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 16, 2009, 04:21:45 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2009, 02:33:52 PM

Release Date?

I apologize for asking, but I really don't know, will the Pitt pack support VATS?

no need to apologize, it's a valid question.  after re-reading my post it comes across a bit snarky, but that wasn't the intention  icon_redface

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2009, 05:55:59 PM »

Of course it will smile Why would we take that out?

The majority of forum feedback was quite positive actually.  We were pleased, and it continues to sell very well.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2009, 08:59:30 PM »

Quote from: kathode on March 16, 2009, 05:55:59 PM

The majority of forum feedback was quite positive actually.  We were pleased, and it continues to sell very well.

I'm glad it's selling well.  Good work, kathode!

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2009, 09:08:28 PM »

Quote from: kathode on March 16, 2009, 05:55:59 PM

Of course it will smile Why would we take that out?

Since you have a semi-official presence here at the boards, would you mind me asking whether your PS3 editions of the game will recieve the same level of support as the PC/Xbox version, and eventually get the DLC's as well?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:31:28 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: