http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:56:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 Collectors guide  (Read 3282 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2008, 09:55:38 PM »

Is the guide worth it for gameplay guys?    In other words -- does it let you in on stuff you might otherwise miss?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:06:28 PM »

Very good strategy, helpful explanation of perks and their usefulness, led me to sidequests I never would have seen, locations I never would have seen. The main quest is pretty straightforward and clear (except for one part the guide helped with), but there were a couple sidequests that it was helpful in solving, one that I definitely don't think I would have solved.

If amazon still has it for $21 it's a no brainer. I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for the collector's edition except that it's a beautiful hardcover.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:45:02 PM »

There's definitely stuff you will likely never see if you don't have the guide.  Everything extra in the collector's edition is just flavor stuff.  There are a few notes about easter eggs, some development stories, and stuff like that.  You get to hear about stuff like our original insane idea for how the game would end, and some notes about our favorite places and strategies.  Also a ton of concept art.  Not necessary at all, but good stuff if you're really into the game.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:19:41 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 02, 2008, 09:55:38 PM

Is the guide worth it for gameplay guys?    In other words -- does it let you in on stuff you might otherwise miss?

I bought the CE from Amazon I think the info in it is very good I love the little tips.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 11:26:43 PM »

In my opinion, the hardcover CE version of the guide is the best game guide I've personally ever seen.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:07:37 PM »

Thanks for starting this thread, msduncan - and for the answers, folks - I'll be picking up FO3 in a few days and was wondering about that guide.  I cannot always force myself to pay $80 for a $60 game, but it sounds like this guide is a cut above the norm.  thumbsup

I'll be finishing up Fable 2 soon; I don't dare start a new game before the Presidential elections, but soon after that it will be Fallout time!  nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:09:12 PM »

I've never bought a guide, but I've flipped through a couple before.  Doesn't using a guide spoil the game for you guys?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:15:40 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 03, 2008, 05:09:12 PM

I've never bought a guide, but I've flipped through a couple before.  Doesn't using a guide spoil the game for you guys?

It depends how you use it.  You don't have to use it to tell you step by step how to do each area.  Some people mostly use it for the maps, or as a reference when they get stuck somewhere.  Others might use it when they're about to leave an area in the game to make sure they didn't miss something they really wanted to see.  Other people might be completionists who want to make sure they don't miss a single easter egg. 
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:24:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 03, 2008, 05:15:40 PM

It depends how you use it.  You don't have to use it to tell you step by step how to do each area.  Some people mostly use it for the maps, or as a reference when they get stuck somewhere.  Others might use it when they're about to leave an area in the game to make sure they didn't miss something they really wanted to see.  Other people might be completionists who want to make sure they don't miss a single easter egg. 

This guide offers a ton of detail on character building too, and explains various aspects of this deep game very well. Every "SPECIAL" stat, every perk, every derived statistic are explained in great detail.

As for spoilers, when viewing quest info, I only read as far as I need to. In a game like this, where it's so wide open, I tend to lose focus on what to do, or where to go next. This guide helps by giving plenty of ways to proceed, and to nudge you along if you're stuck. If I'd had a guide like this for Morrowind or Oblivion, I might've finished them.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »

That's pretty much me you described, Pug - in that order, too.  More maps is a Good Thing!  I will get stuck at some point, and I also don't want to miss anything essential. Though I don't care a lot about the completionist thing, there are some items you need to collect or you can miss something important.  I remember playing Quake IV and being unable to finish the Final Boss, because I'd managed to miss getting the BFG. It still annoys me, lol.

I haven't played video games all my life, and much of what is in them relies on your gaming intuition, which is often developed early in life.  My entire life prior to video games was based on the premise that you don't just push up against a random cave wall - and get to dissolve through to the next room.  Not many magic flutes that produce treasure chests, either, come to think of it. Good game guides help bridge those gaps. nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on November 03, 2008, 05:47:03 PM

That's pretty much me you described, Pug - in that order, too.  More maps is a Good Thing!  I will get stuck at some point, and I also don't want to miss anything essential. Though I don't care a lot about the completionist thing, there are some items you need to collect or you can miss something important.  I remember playing Quake IV and being unable to finish the Final Boss, because I'd managed to miss getting the BFG. It still annoys me, lol.

I haven't played video games all my life, and much of what is in them relies on your gaming intuition, which is often developed early in life.  My entire life prior to video games was based on the premise that you don't just push up against a random cave wall - and get to dissolve through to the next room.  Not many magic flutes that produce treasure chests, either, come to think of it. Good game guides help bridge those gaps. nod

The more I read this guide I would have to say it's the best put together guide I have read.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 06:08:12 PM »

the guide has lots of stuff,you would never find in normal playthrough without the guide..especially the freeform quests(not the main quest and not the miscellaneous quests either)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »

Good to hear again, lol, because I just ordered it from Amazon.  Now the waiting and drooling starts; I'm an idiot, at the last second I chose Free Super Saver shipping.  Sometimes stuff arrives in the 3-4 day range (not the 9-10!)  Hopefully mine will.  Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on November 03, 2008, 06:10:05 PM

Good to hear again, lol, because I just ordered it from Amazon.  Now the waiting and drooling starts; I'm an idiot, at the last second I chose Free Super Saver shipping.  Sometimes stuff arrives in the 3-4 day range (not the 9-10!)  Hopefully mine will.  Roll Eyes

You might get surprised I ordered mine from Amazon last monday with 3-5 day shipping option it had a delivery date of 10-31 showed up at my door wednesday afternoon.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 06:32:24 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on November 03, 2008, 06:14:55 PM

Quote from: mytocles on November 03, 2008, 06:10:05 PM

You might get surprised I ordered mine from Amazon last monday with 3-5 day shipping option it had a delivery date of 10-31 showed up at my door wednesday afternoon.

Yeah, that's happened to me also, and 3-5 days would be perfect.  Between finishing Fable 2, watching political coverage, and (hopefully not) waiting in line for hours at the elections, that would be just right.  I did, however, have to wait two weeks for one item from them - but that's why I have a Wii, lmao. Plenty of pick-up-and-play stuff I can attend to if I have to wait. House of the Dead and the Wii gun, ftw!  You know, if necessary...  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »

Mine shipped day of release and just arrived.  I'm not really going to look at it much until after my second play through, but I am reading about skills and will do the same about weapons and creatures (maybe).

It's a pretty cool book so far....and the map, while absolutely neat, is completely absurd. My only gripe is it should be made out of cloth.  icon_lol

Sometimes being a geek is totally worth it  icon_surprised thumbsup
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 06:41:40 PM »

I ordered mine along with a copy of a book I've been meaning to get.  Should be here on Wednesday.  I love me some hardcover collector's manuals.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »

got it two days after release through amazon with some lucky shipping i suppose.  after i read up on the stats and everything, i restarted my character.  i also have my character path planned out and what perks i intend to pick.  very useful.  i have also checked a few things after i passed a mission to see how differently i could have done it as i don't intend to replay it all the way through for some time. 

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 03, 2008, 06:37:16 PM

Mine shipped day of release and just arrived.  I'm not really going to look at it much until after my second play through, but I am reading about skills and will do the same about weapons and creatures (maybe).

It's a pretty cool book so far....and the map, while absolutely neat, is completely absurd. My only gripe is it should be made out of cloth.  icon_lol

Sometimes being a geek is totally worth it  icon_surprised thumbsup

Yea the map is awesome I have only read up on character development and perks will only use the book if I get stuck on a quest. I love the little tips they give very helpfull.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 01:38:10 AM »

as others have said, it's all about how you choose to use the guide.  if you use every map and quest description to guide you through the game, it can definitely take something away from the experience.  in huge games like Oblivion and Fallout 3, however, i think the guides are a great way to learn about character creation and track your progress through the game.  i spent well over a hundred hours on Oblivion and used the guide as a way to mark off quests and locations as i completed them.  without the guide, it would have become difficult to tell which areas of the game i had already visited and cleared.  once i had explored and discovered a large portion of the game on my own (including completion of almost every quest), i used the guide to help me find some of the more unique and easily overlooked experiences that the game has to offer. 

if you don't want to spoil your experience, just be careful how you use the guide icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 04:22:37 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 04, 2008, 01:38:10 AM

as others have said, it's all about how you choose to use the guide.  if you use every map and quest description to guide you through the game, it can definitely take something away from the experience.  in huge games like Oblivion and Fallout 3, however, i think the guides are a great way to learn about character creation and track your progress through the game.  i spent well over a hundred hours on Oblivion and used the guide as a way to mark off quests and locations as i completed them.  without the guide, it would have become difficult to tell which areas of the game i had already visited and cleared.  once i had explored and discovered a large portion of the game on my own (including completion of almost every quest), i used the guide to help me find some of the more unique and easily overlooked experiences that the game has to offer. 

if you don't want to spoil your experience, just be careful how you use the guide icon_cool

That's exactly the way I use it.  It's often like a bookmark.  If I go away from a game for a bit, the guide will remind me about what's going on.  Of course, with a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3, I have so many scraps of paper holding so many places, sometimes it's hard to remember which one I'm focusing on.

It's also a great way to keep track of what collectibles I've found.

I'll also use a guide after I've rooted through a place to see if I missed anything important.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 05:06:13 PM »

Mine should arrive today.   I've purposely been sticking around the Vault until it arrives.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 05:17:23 PM »

Best money I have put down for a guide ever.  The guide is put together very well that I just read the damn thing for 2 hours instead of playing the game  icon_biggrin

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 04:04:29 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on November 04, 2008, 05:17:23 PM

Best money I have put down for a guide ever.  The guide is put together very well that I just read the damn thing for 2 hours instead of playing the game  icon_biggrin

Agreed.  I just got mine, and the game, yesterday. I wasn't prepared for the shipping to be so fast, lol, so I still have one Fable 2 quest to polish off, then it will be all about Fallout 3. Yay!

I only have one criticism of the guide - and it's true of almost every game guide - there is no Index.  I would think that a computer program would provide one without too much added expense.  It would certainly help to search for the one answer you need when you don't want to ruin your game by too much info.   I'm spoiled by "Find" in 'net browsers, apparently...  icon_cry

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 05:59:36 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on November 07, 2008, 04:04:29 PM

Agreed.  I just got mine, and the game, yesterday. I wasn't prepared for the shipping to be so fast, lol, so I still have one Fable 2 quest to polish off, then it will be all about Fallout 3. Yay!

I only have one criticism of the guide - and it's true of almost every game guide - there is no Index.  I would think that a computer program would provide one without too much added expense.  It would certainly help to search for the one answer you need when you don't want to ruin your game by too much info.   I'm spoiled by "Find" in 'net browsers, apparently...  icon_cry

hey Mighty O....Page 3 and 4(or 2 and 3,however you wanna look at it) of the guide may help some,its the table of contents icon_smile

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 07:10:44 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 07, 2008, 05:59:36 PM

hey Mighty O....Page 3 and 4(or 2 and 3,however you wanna look at it) of the guide may help some,its the table of contents icon_smile

Oh very funny, very funny indeed!  Tongue

Lmao, I want alphabetized (even though you may want alphabetised)!  Is that really so much to ask? 

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 07:30:06 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on November 07, 2008, 07:10:44 PM

Lmao, I want alphabetized (even though you may want alphabetised)!  Is that really so much to ask? 

Yes.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »

I broke down and bought this off Amazon today.  It was only $20!  I had a couple other things to buy so shipping was free.  How could I resist?

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 10:23:07 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 07, 2008, 09:52:20 PM

How could I resist?

I'm resisting just fine.  You wimps and your guides.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 01:14:51 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 07, 2008, 10:23:07 PM

Quote from: farley2k on November 07, 2008, 09:52:20 PM

How could I resist?

I'm resisting just fine.  You wimps and your guides.

Don't think of it as a guide... it is more like a bible...

icon_lol

Personally I have only used it for looking at the character building stuff so far, and of course the bonus material at the end.  It has so much good information even without reading any quest spoiler info.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 05:22:22 AM »

I agree 100%.  The table of contents is a very spoilery way of finding things, mainly because you need to scan a listing of multiple locations in the right zone section to find out what you need.  Compare that to an index, where I could simply look up the name and be told exactly where to go.

I like the guide, but I don't know if I'd call it the best ever.  The lack of an index hurts, but I'm also not sure I like the way it's organized.   Some details are scattered among multiple locations and you end up flipping around to find all the stuff you wanted.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 05:32:16 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 08, 2008, 05:22:22 AM

I like the guide, but I don't know if I'd call it the best ever.  The lack of an index hurts, but I'm also not sure I like the way it's organized.   Some details are scattered among multiple locations and you end up flipping around to find all the stuff you wanted.
HERETIC!!!!

I think we need to tie a block to your feet and throw you in a lake to see if you float....
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 09:07:46 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 07, 2008, 07:30:06 PM

Quote from: mytocles on November 07, 2008, 07:10:44 PM

Yes.

i agree,making an alphabetical index of everything would take up another 200 pages,LOL

the way i went about,when i wasnt doing the main quest was go exploring,then when you come across something,to look it up,look at your map on your pip boy and then the map that came with the guide(which i have stuck up on my wall next to where i play)..so you can find out which ZONE the newly discovered location is in,then that table of contents will be a bit more useful for you..as you will see,they have the locations in zones in the contents

and what the hell myto.....you have your own personal smiley face collection?..LOL

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 06:40:01 PM »

Wow, who knew the words "Index" and "alphabetize" would light a tiny firestorm of controversy, lmao.  I still want one.  nod

I doubt a 200-page one is necessary, but it would be nice to look up Weapons and see some subheadings, like Ranged, Melee, Swords, Shotguns, etc. It would be great if it was a complete index, but if there are too many things like the Sword of Infinite Magicky Wonderment, or whatever, it could be reduced by not listing every single item.

Look at most non-fiction books - they have indices, most of which aren't that large.  One example, and I tried to find a book that would require a huge index, is "Gray's Anatomy" - yeah, the medical book, not the TV show.  In the front of the book there is a detailed Table of Contents (19 pages) and at the end, a 39 page Index, in a book of 1096 pages.  I'm guessing 10 or 20 pages for a 500 page guide book wouldn't break the bank for the companies, especially considering the extra fluff they already toss in to fill up their guides.  Besides, it was a suggestion, lol, I'm not exactly rousing the villagers to march on Prima with fiery torches! Yet...

What do you mean Metal? I don't have any special smileys! 

Yoo-hoo! dbt, where are you? 

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 07:44:55 AM »

Damn, I was going to show off my literary chops... there's a quote from some French writer about how a book is not a book if it doesn't have an index, but memory and Google fail me. Put me on the side that demands an index!

XBL gamertag: jztemple
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »

saying all this though,it does have a pretty decent list of a lot of stuff at the back,no it isnt in alphabetical order

360 Achievements
Bobblehead locations
Fat Men-thats a wepaon to the new players,LOL
Fat Men:Mini Nukes
Unique weapons and outfits
Nuka Cola Quantums(location of all the special bottles)
Schematics locations(which i am hopefully get hold off the rest i need today)
Pre-War Books Locations
Skill Book locations..all 13 different copies,yet hundreds of locations
and holotapes for a certain quest

at the front,the training section has all the perks and all the weapons,all the beasts,weapons and armour

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2008, 11:38:08 PM »

Upon further review, I've recently broken out my MGS4 collector's guide and I would tab that is the best guide ever. It's just a beautiful book.
tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 02:15:03 AM »

Goodness, this thread makes me want the FO3 guide and I don't even have the game!

I like guides, good ones anyway, just like I used to love thick manuals (SMAC comes to mind).  I read 'em on the toilet, in bed, on the beach.  My wife thinks I'm weird.  Sometimes I even look at 'em when I play the game, but not often.

My favorite guide of years gone by was for Betrayal at Krondor.  The guide author actually wrote walkthrough sections as though it were a novel (in addition to separately laying out the quests), and he did it better than Feist's own novelization of the game years later.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail... carry on.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 03:20:00 AM »

<insert words of praise for Master of Orion's strategy guide here>
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 06:02:05 AM »

Quote from: tylertoo on November 12, 2008, 02:15:03 AM

Goodness, this thread makes me want the FO3 guide and I don't even have the game!

I like guides, good ones anyway, just like I used to love thick manuals (SMAC comes to mind).  I read 'em on the toilet, in bed, on the beach.  My wife thinks I'm weird.  Sometimes I even look at 'em when I play the game, but not often.

My favorite guide of years gone by was for Betrayal at Krondor.  The guide author actually wrote walkthrough sections as though it were a novel (in addition to separately laying out the quests), and he did it better than Feist's own novelization of the game years later.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail... carry on. If I could get it to run on my PC I'd play it again.

BAK is still in my top 10 favorite games of all time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: