http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:49:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fable vs Jade Empire vs other rpg's  (Read 2417 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2005, 12:34:12 AM »

Not looking for a "whats better" debate, just wanting some opinions on what would be best for me.
I'm picking up an Xbox system tomorrow and i've never played any console rpgs.  From what i gather Fable and Jade Empire are the 2 most popular titles that gets recommended.  What i like in a rpg is more action oriented and less Morrowind'ish gameplay.  I don't need epic, just fun and rather simple gameplay. I like story but i'd sacrifice story for action and fun.  
So what should i consider?  Is it Fable or Jade Empire or something else i'm not aware of.  Any advice would be appreciate.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 01:10:54 AM »

I thought Fable was an absolute blast (playing it through for the second time right now), but was bored to tears with Jade Empire.   A lot of people were bitterly dissapointed in Fable because of the ridiculous amount of hype it received, mainly from the developer himself.  People were so vocal about their dissapointment that after the game was released, Peter Moleneaux actually issued an apology to gamers for not including many of the features he promised would be in the game.   IMO, if you accept Fable for what it is (a hack n slash with a fun social system), it can be a truly fun experience.  If you go in expecting the end-all-be-all of console RPG's (which it seems most people were), you will be bitterly dissapointed.

Jade Empire is just one of those games that simply didn't 'click' wth me.  I think the main reason was that I had just finished playing Knights of the Old Republic 2 the week before, and was pretty tired of the style.  Jade Empire simply felt like a asian themed mod for KotOR, and there didn't seem to be much special about it.  I felt no connection to the story or characters, the combat seemed slow and dull, and the graphics and voice work were simply 'meh'.  I know a lot of people around here loved JE, but it really did nothing for me.

Long story short...Fable > Jade Empire (ymmv)

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 01:32:32 AM »

Take everything Gratch said, switch the names of the games, and you have my opinion.  That should help you decide slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 05:18:15 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Peter Moleneaux actually issued an apology to gamers for not including many of the features he promised would be in the game.

They must not have been paying attention.  Every Moleneaux game is claimed as the be-all and end-all video gaming experience.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 05:39:57 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Take everything Gratch said, switch the names of the games, and you have my opinion.  That should help you decide slywink

I'm with EddieA

Xbox Live: AgtFox
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 06:56:19 AM »

Sacrifice story for action and fun?  Go with Fable.  Jade Empire's combat is ridiculously un-fun for how cool it should have been.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 07:07:12 AM »

I gave up on Fable after about two hours. I dont know why-I think I was going through a gaming slump and I know I got irrationally upset with the load times-gave it up and never came back to it until I got it just now in a trade with Sam Hell. Well, after the Bar this is high on my list of things to try again. I booted it up for a few minutes earlier today to dick around and I was very impressed-so I hope the second time is the charm.

As for Jade-I loved it when I first started it, got about 5 hours in, and then finals and papers and shit started piling up, and I never got back to it because of, what else, the studying. That and Fable are my top two "console must-plays" immediately after the bar, so I will be back in this thread in a few weeks to give some more thoughts smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 01:02:37 PM »

I'd recommend Jade Empire for one reason... Fable - The lost Chapters is coming out for PC and Xbox.  Once that has been released you should be able to pick up the original Fable for a song and a dance.

Jade empire's combat system is every bit repetitive as Fable, but at least you can switch things up. (you can pull "cheap" tactics, if your will is weak).

Since Jade empire is a longer game, I'd suggest it over Fable at this point.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 01:48:43 PM »

I have been playing Jade Empire the past two weeks and I think it's the perfect balance between story and action.  The combat system I really like, and there's that dragonfly minigame.  I've enjoy playing it much more than I enjoyed playing KOTOR.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 02:14:29 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I'd recommend Jade Empire for one reason... Fable - The lost Chapters is coming out for PC and Xbox.  Once that has been released you should be able to pick up the original Fable for a song and a dance.

I just picked up Fable for $12 used.  Doubt it will get much cheaper than that.

Cyrano
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 02:57:53 PM »

I enjoyed KOTOR much more than either of those two. It's cheap at this point as well.

Between Jade Empire and Fable, I'd go with Fable. The combat in Jade Empire is boring because it's so easy. You jump over the enemy's head and strike. Repeat. That's all there is to it. Also, almost all the voice acting in Jade Empire is horrible -- some of the worst I've ever heard. Painful, really. Characters in an ancient asian setting speaking with California valley-girl accents.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 03:50:35 PM »

Any others besides these two i'm missing?  I played KOTOR on pc and enjoyed it.  Need to make a decision by this afternoon.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 05:24:03 PM »

RPG pickings on the XBox are painfully slim.  The only other RPG I really enjoyed was Sudeki, but I'm in the minority with that one.  It has a very similar combat style to Fable, so if you enjoy one, you'll probably like the other.  It can be picked up pretty cheap as well (sub-$20).

EDIT:  There's some good Sudeki discussion in this thread.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 05:40:16 PM »

Like Purge said, if you can wait a while, Fable : The Lost Chapters is going straight to Platinum Hits, so it will only be $20 when it comes out, and adds some new stuff to the game.  Sudeki is fun, too, and has a very beautiful style to it as well.  You might want to check out the Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance games also.  They're fun Diablo-sytle games, and should be cheap, although the first one may be hard to find.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 06:03:01 PM »

This thread is the first I've heard of Fable - The Lost Chapters.   I'm guessing it's basically an expansion pack, right?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 07:35:03 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
This thread is the first I've heard of Fable - The Lost Chapters.   I'm guessing it's basically an expansion pack, right?

No, its the original game with new "stuff" added, graphics and loads optimized, and according to Lionhead, the original game plus a shitload of new quests-roughly 1/3 the size of the original game-all put together in one nice, coherent package.

I plan on playing my xbox version here this month, and then giving myself a chance to reload before getting the PC version in a couple months smile
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 08:08:09 AM »

Knights of the Old Republic is the king of all Xbox action-RPGs.  Fable is fast-food, and Jade Empire is a shadow of KOTOR.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: