http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:27:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fable II Impressions thread  (Read 42355 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2008, 02:10:11 PM »

Great.  Thanks, Kevin. 

Hey... are you liking the game?  You are sort of an RPG guru, as you seem to know a great deal about these types of games.  How does Fable 2 stack up for you?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »

Well I've only got a few hours logged so I feel like I have barely scratched the surface but I'd have to say that my impressions so far closely mirror your own except I find the camera a little too fidgety at times in confined areas.  Other than that my only other complaint is that the map system kind of sucks- even in the absence of a minimap I just wish I could zoom in to the map in the menu screen.  Right now I'm very impressed and I'm really looking forward to spending more time with the game tonight. 
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 22, 2008, 02:06:03 PM

It's in the menu system- can't recall where specifically but I'm sure I saw it last night. 

The same place you buy spells/abilities if you hit Y instead of A you sell back the current level for half the experience (or something like that.)

The friend orb thing is pretty cool.  FuzzX and I were blacksmithing together last night, but I didn't have mic on.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 22, 2008, 02:06:03 PM

It's in the menu system- can't recall where specifically but I'm sure I saw it last night. 

just open up your skill screen, select a skill and there should be an option to hit 'y' to lose the skill and get some of your XP back.

last night I got the 'why don't you come back home with me' expression, and spent about 5 minutes laughing when I saw what the icon for it was:

Spoiler for Hiden:
a cup of hot coffee

I think my 360 disc drive is dying though-  I kept on getting Can't read Disc errors and noticed it was whenever the music changed.  I turned off the music and didn't get one again, but I remember the same thing happening with GTAIV when I listened to the radio stations, so I'm guessing it's got something to do with the music streaming off the disc.  looking around it looks like MS charges 100 bucks to fix that problem, so I may just grab an arcade for 100 bucks more and have a brand new 360 instead of a refurb.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »

The flavor text in this game is great.  Not just for the books and notes but for just about every item in the game. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2008, 02:45:48 PM »

Yeah it is!  I meant to mention that in my impressions.  Some of it is very creative and/or funny.

Has anyone bought a shop yet?   Do you get little financial statements every day, or does the income just kind of magically appear in your inventory?  I am curious how you can tell if your pricing is too high, too low, or just about right.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2008, 02:54:59 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 22, 2008, 02:45:48 PM

Yeah it is!  I meant to mention that in my impressions.  Some of it is very creative and/or funny.

Has anyone bought a shop yet?   Do you get little financial statements every day, or does the income just kind of magically appear in your inventory?  I am curious how you can tell if your pricing is too high, too low, or just about right.

I bought another house in the gypsy camp and it looks like the money just appears with no report.  I guess I'll see how much gold I've made when I turn on the game tonight.

I already found a better sword than the Hal's Blade you get as part of the CE, and saw that you can get a nice chunk of change from selling the Halo Sword.

Because I can,
maccwerk
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2008, 02:55:54 PM »

Has anyone picked up the strat guide for the game?  Any comments on its usefulness, particularly given the lack of in-game mini-map?
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2008, 03:07:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2008, 02:54:59 PM

I bought another house in the gypsy camp and it looks like the money just appears with no report.  I guess I'll see how much gold I've made when I turn on the game tonight.

I already found a better sword than the Hal's Blade you get as part of the CE, and saw that you can get a nice chunk of change from selling the Halo Sword.

I get little popups showing me earning gold every so often, while in the game.  And since I have a wife and kid I also get one showing them spending my money every day with the allowance I set.

I am not sure how it will work after not playing for a few hours but remember if you buy a house you have to set it to the rent option and actually wait for someone to move in to earn any income.  I find the shops to be much better investments.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2008, 03:22:33 PM »

Quote from: Owain on October 22, 2008, 03:07:08 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2008, 02:54:59 PM

I get little popups showing me earning gold every so often, while in the game.  And since I have a wife and kid I also get one showing them spending my money every day with the allowance I set.

I am not sure how it will work after not playing for a few hours but remember if you buy a house you have to set it to the rent option and actually wait for someone to move in to earn any income.  I find the shops to be much better investments.

Items sell and income comes in no matter what you set the price at...the only thing adjusting the price does is adjust your evil/good/neutral standing.  Leave all your rents and shops on max markup and you'll gradually turn very evil from it and the world will reflect you being a scrooge, evil, and a dick....minimal markup results in people loving you and prospering.  Neutral is neutral.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2008, 03:45:40 PM »

A ton of questions.

What's the purpose of buying a new house or a shop?  Should I just keep the caravan that I start out with in the Gypsy camp?  Why would I want a bigger place - to store things?  Can you do that?  What's the purpose of buying a shop?  Will I make gold off it?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2008, 03:54:44 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 22, 2008, 03:45:40 PM

A ton of questions.

What's the purpose of buying a new house or a shop?  Should I just keep the caravan that I start out with in the Gypsy camp?  Why would I want a bigger place - to store things?  Can you do that?  What's the purpose of buying a shop?  Will I make gold off it?

a house is needed for having a family, and you can be a Mormon and have multiple wives/families so you'll need more than one house.  you can also rent out houses for gold, and shops make you gold also.  oh, and some houses give you different bonuses when you sleep there.

I'm not sure if you can store things- I don't think you have an inventory limit so there may be no need for that.  I do remember in the first game you could mount your trophies in houses to raise the value, but there was no way to store stuff.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »

Has anyone found side quest in Bowerstone?  I seem to be missing something

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2008, 06:32:18 PM »

i probably played more in one sitting yesterday than i will get to again, so here's a little picture of a neutral-chaotic's slide into the dark side.  i started out as a child by selling the warrants to the underworld boss, giving the drunk his wine, and trashing the barn instead of the beetles.  my picture was rude, too.  i forget which way i went with the last one, but needless to say, that part of bowerstone was quite seedy when i got back.  i generally did good as a young adult and followed the quest while veering off into the woods now and again to hunt for loot and random fights, using 40% melee and range and very little magic. 

my path began to slide when i used the assassin's coat and bandit's mask, and again when i took my first assassination job.  i wasn't expecting it to be quite so evil, but more like the dark brotherhood quests in oblivion.   here, you pretty much end up murdering decent folk who pissed off the wrong people (who are usually bad themselves).  this one was troublesome as she was a gypsy and i felt a degree of guilt at luring her off with promises of friendship into the woods.  i was watched though, and ended up offing two guards who came to arrest me.  well, there goes the path of light.  after getting away from the lake, i followed the main quest along to meet the first hero and get her on our side.  i then met a departed soul with an evil offer of revenge, which i took and performed to his expectations.  when i went back to town, i hired a henchmen (usmc kato) and we proceeded to find a bug.  the quest i tried to finish off glitched, putting me in spectate mode, him into ghost mode, and neither of us able to attack anyone or even interact.  luckily, it cleared up when i walked back to town. 

we then took another assassination job which is where i made my last slide into darkness.  with each target we killed, we ended up wracking up quite a body count in guards and random villagers who tried to defend against us.  when one villager kicked my dog as he walked past, we sliced him apart.  nobody kicks my dog, pal.  my body count in the lake area was a baker's dozen with an 11k fine.  this brings up my only complaint about the internal game logic.  i was able to erase the blood debt with a simple quest to kill 4 weak bandits, who put up barely a fight.  nice to know that 13 kills punishment = 1 kill's punishment.  my alignment went over to 100% dark after that and i now resemble a blue demon with claws.  the dog now has black fur and bright red eyes.  i scare people just by walking past, but oddly enough can still pick up chicks.  i guess the like the bad guy here too.  i really wish you could inherit a business by marrying the owner, but seeing as i haven't bought a decent house for her yet, i can't say for sure.  i did buy the jewelry shop last night and turned it on to find a ~$700 payment after a short moment.  it doesn't add up as fast as it does in real time, but it will help in the long run. 

game looks great, and plays pretty well too.  i have been able to upgrade my melee/ranged abilities and see some of the better stuff coming, so combat will get better as you do.  only knocked out once after an extended fight against the zombies, but no visible scars.  i can't wait to put more time into this tonight and see if can change my alignment back to neutral at least.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »

Caine where did you find these quest?   Wow, feels like I was playing a different game

NiM$
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2008, 07:02:05 PM »

Neat story Caine.

I was SO tempted when I found the bandit clothing.  But with the exception of giving the wine to the drunk, (anyone who makes me laugh as much as he did is getting his way as far as I'm concerned); my avatar is such a goodie-two-shows, it's not even funny.   icon_neutral

LD

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2008, 07:15:27 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 22, 2008, 06:38:52 PM

Caine where did you find these quest?   Wow, feels like I was playing a different game

bowerstone's seedy part of town.  got a message about jobs opening up by the society, so i found the contact in town.

now, the moment i found the dark temple is pretty interesting too, but i'll hold that until i have had a chance to utilize it.  looks particularly disturbing though.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2008, 07:37:21 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 22, 2008, 07:02:05 PM

Neat story Caine.

I was SO tempted when I found the bandit clothing.  But with the exception of giving the wine to the drunk, (anyone who makes me laugh as much as he did is getting his way as far as I'm concerned); my avatar is such a goodie-two-shows, it's not even funny.   icon_neutral

I'm wearing the assassin's coat, but still being good.  I have such a hard time being bad in these games, but like to look the part.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2008, 08:04:16 PM »

[I was SO tempted when I found the bandit clothing.  But with the exception of giving the wine to the drunk, (anyone who makes me laugh as much as he did is getting his way as far as I'm concerned); my avatar is such a goodie-two-shows, it's not even funny.   icon_neutral

Nobody is more of a goodie-two-shoes than me.  I won't even kick a chicken.  I will end up being so good my aura will be blinding.  icon_biggrin

XM Channel 76
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »

Okay, where do I go to claim my items from the pub games?  I can't merge my pub games character with my Fable hero (though I can gamble with my fable hero)...

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 20, 2008, 05:14:08 PM

i already knew about number 6 actually i saw a vid of it a few weeks ago,and i can't say i am that upset about it either,being a Final Fantasy 11 and Infinite Undiscovery player...i did this kinda stuff all the time,i know Myto will be very excited about this feature as well...she goes nuts for this stuff,and you wont see her again for a year or two,LOL

You know me too well, Metal! If they ever made an RPG with only synthing/ crafting, I'd be the only person on the planet who would pay money for it, lmao.

Quote from: Starshifter on October 22, 2008, 08:04:16 PM

[I was SO tempted when I found the bandit clothing.  But with the exception of giving the wine to the drunk, (anyone who makes me laugh as much as he did is getting his way as far as I'm concerned); my avatar is such a goodie-two-shows, it's not even funny.   icon_neutral

Nobody is more of a goodie-two-shoes than me.  I won't even kick a chicken.  I will end up being so good my aura will be blinding.  icon_biggrin

Yeah, same here, lol.  Except I can kick chickens - though that is my limit!

BTW, Shifter, I saw your orb last night, but I was what we call "cat-upon" - my poor old (20 yrs.) cat was on my lap and I couldn't reach my keyboard or headset without dumping her.  I felt very rude and I kind of slunk away hoping you hadn't seen me!   ninja

Quote from: Caine on October 20, 2008, 06:38:11 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on October 20, 2008, 06:37:00 PM

6. Working for gold is boring. Watching the same animation of chopping wood or hitting a sword with a hammer gets old quick, and when you really want to afford things, why the *** would you want to work a repititious job for money, when you could be rewarded with fortune by doing quests. Instead, quests barely give you anything, and jobs are your source of gold.

Good thing I spent a couple hours cheating at the pub games and have a quarter mil to spend then. biggrin

let us know what the surprise is that peter M was talking about back then.  curious myself actually.

I read something on a forum about this - apparently you have to be really rich (in the millions, one place said under 50 million and you're safe, lol) - and then you will be perceived by others to be greedy.  I don't think they added something later to punish you for using the glitch, it's just part of the game.  I suspect if you amass a gross amount of gold, people will treat you as greedy, regardless of whether you won it honestly or via the Pub Games glitch. 

And I love the dog, too!  I named her "Bugaboo" after my German Shepherd, of course, and she even looks ever so slightly G-Shepherd-ish.  I thought this part was hysterical (very, very minor spoiler):
Spoiler for Hiden:
the description on the back of the Rubber Ball item is priceless, as is most of the humor in the game, imo. Don't bypass anything you can read a description of!

My only complaint about the game will likely not bother anyone else at all.  Somewhere in my gaming past, I became unable to use non-inverted controls, including the horizontal camera in 3rd person games.  If I push left, I want to look right, not left.  Luckily, the left bumper centers your camera, so I don't have to look almost 360 degrees to see something slightly to my right or left.   paranoid

Dreamyshadow - one site I found said the easiest way is to talk to someone in any Pub:

If you've played the Fable II Pub Games or bought the Limited Collector's Edition, there are extras owed to you.For the Pub Games, you will need to play the Fable II storyline into adulthood (about 30 minutes). At that point, you can lay claim to your money and items. To do this, you could launch Pub Games and merge your pub character with your Fable II hero there, but it's an unnecessary extra step. Instead, visit a game master in any of the bars in Albion. You can merge your character once you're in the pub game, then exit. You'll come out with all your cash and any items won in the tournaments.

Naturally, I can't find a Pub, so I haven't tried yet... I also can't find the Town Crier, so don't go by me, lol.  retard

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 22, 2008, 09:04:06 PM

Okay, where do I go to claim my items from the pub games?  I can't merge my pub games character with my Fable hero (though I can gamble with my fable hero)...

Can only merge an adult hero. You must not be an adult yet.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 22, 2008, 09:14:31 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 22, 2008, 09:04:06 PM

Can only merge an adult hero. You must not be an adult yet.

Oh, good - that explains my problem then, since I've only gotten to play a short time, I'm still a "youth." You know, in game!  Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2008, 09:29:45 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on October 22, 2008, 09:14:20 PM

BTW, Shifter, I saw your orb last night, but I was what we call "cat-upon" - my poor old (20 yrs.) cat was on my lap and I couldn't reach my keyboard or headset without dumping her.  I felt very rude and I kind of slunk away hoping you hadn't seen me!   ninja

Never did see you Myto.  The only person I saw was USMC Kato and I couldn't figure out what to do because I think I missed the pop up message.  From reading this thread I gather we can chat if we sync up or something.  Kato's orb and mine were literally one last night (that didn't sound right  ninja) but I didn't know what to do.  I felt like Lockdown.  icon_wink

XM Channel 76
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2008, 09:54:58 PM »

For those who have the game and didn't preorder - do you get the XBLA Pub Games with the full game?  I know you can play them in-game, but can you also play the XBLA games by themselves?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2008, 09:59:51 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 22, 2008, 09:29:45 PM

Quote from: mytocles on October 22, 2008, 09:14:20 PM

Never did see you Myto.  The only person I saw was USMC Kato and I couldn't figure out what to do because I think I missed the pop up message.  From reading this thread I gather we can chat if we sync up or something.  Kato's orb and mine were literally one last night (that didn't sound right  ninja) but I didn't know what to do.  I felt like Lockdown.  icon_wink

target the orb, press LT, then you can interact with "A".  bit clunky, imo, but it allows you to interact with them even after they left the area.

pretty unusual feature to have the orbs in game like that, but i like it.  nothing like going to work in game and seeing your friends toil along with you at the blacksmith.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2008, 10:06:42 PM »

Damn, I hate the forum effect.  Who has the best deal on Fable 2?
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »

Haha, my wife came home yesterday after playing Fable 2 at work saying "We need to get this game!"

I didn't ever really care that much about Fable 2 after playing the first one and thinking it wasn't much better than decent. Now, with the impressions in this thread... looks like I'll be doing some shopping today.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »

Quote from: KC on October 22, 2008, 10:06:42 PM

No kidding!  This is one of the strongest forum effects I've seen in a long time.  A long time.  I don't think it's quite strong enough to push aside my excitement for Fallout 3, but I think Fable 2 will be next in line for sure. 
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2008, 12:08:27 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 22, 2008, 11:33:25 PM

Quote from: KC on October 22, 2008, 10:06:42 PM

No kidding!  This is one of the strongest forum effects I've seen in a long time.  A long time.  I don't think it's quite strong enough to push aside my excitement for Fallout 3, but I think Fable 2 will be next in line for sure. 

If you have one near you, I got my copy at Fry's for $54.99.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2008, 12:11:05 AM »

so, is anyone else running around with no clothes on other than what the game makes you wear?  I have a female character and I've gotten some hilarious comments.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2008, 12:23:10 AM »

I believe Circuit City is offering a $15 iTunes gift card with the purchase of the game at $60.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2008, 01:56:28 AM »

I like it.

I killed some bugs.

A+

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2008, 05:32:13 AM »

Quote from: Caine on October 22, 2008, 09:59:51 PM

pretty unusual feature to have the orbs in game like that, but i like it.  nothing like going to work in game and seeing your friends toil along with you at the blacksmith.

Chop wood - not only is it easier, but you make more money at it too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2008, 11:08:22 AM »

Anyone care to compare Fable 2 to the original?
I liked the original, I guess, but the combat got too hard for me.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2008, 12:05:05 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 23, 2008, 11:08:22 AM

Maybe, the shiny is starting to wear off on me, but last night I had a hard time trying to play.  While I like the openess I'm not finding alot of side quest to do.   I completed the first quest for the Abbot, but only a few quest opened up and most of them was Evil leaning...

Think I am missing somthing

NiM$
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2008, 12:30:26 PM »

Please just ignore Soulchilde.  His opinion doesn't count.   icon_wink

Now for some more positive thoughts from me:

+ The orb thing is indeed neat.  I ran into Kato last night while he was earning money chopping wood.  Since I haven’t talked to him in forever, I chopped some wood with him while we caught up on things after our voice chat synced up.  It’s not a blow-away feature, but it’s certainly very cool.  I was able to hit a x6 multiplier, which was great. Then I crashed and burned horribly.

+ You can develop multiple ways of dealing with enemies.  I now have a preferred method that I use in most fights which involves casting a Raise Dead spell that conjures phantom ghost-like creatures who attack the enemy while I sit back and shoot the crap out of them.  The best part of the spell is its ability to (most of the time) occupy the bad guys for about 10 seconds while I shoot at them from a safe distance.  The way the spell system works is certainly a bit “clunky” (for lack of a better word) – but it’s serviceable.  I have my Raise Dead spell as my default Level 1 spell.  A simple button-tap and aim with my left trigger casts this so the undead appear where I want them.  It takes all of 1 second, if that.  To then cast my Level 2 spell (Lightning Shock), I hold down the button and “charge it”.  Once it charges, I then unleash a lightning bolt at the bad guys.  I mix plenty of rifle shots in there as well.  If someone gets too close, I pull out my mace and bash their heads in.  It has yet to get even close to old yet.  I freakin’ love it.

To give an example of how this can vary from character to character, Kato was telling me Hark likes to cast some type of ‘chaos’ spell on the bad guys which makes them turn on each other while he sits back and watches them destroy themselves.  One could just as easily cast the Vortex spell, and while the bad guys are spinning around out of control, go in and whack the crap out of them with his sword.  Etc.. etc.. etc..  There seems to be lots of different ways to deal with threats in the game.

+ I love when the narrator is telling you something; you can sometimes click the Left Trigger to get a “cinematic” view of what she is referring to.  It takes the camera away from your body and gives you a view of what is up ahead, or zooms you in to a key character, or whatever.  It’s not too far removed from the method used in Prince of Persia to help you see what is coming up.  It is not overdone, but really adds to the presentation of the game itself.

+ I love the music!  I can’t believe I didn’t mention this before.  I noticed it last night especially, because I visited quite a few different places, and the music used for the peaceful towns as well as when you are in a dangerous cave is just SO appropriate and adds to the already awesome atmosphere of the game.

+ My character is starting to develop some bulk to his frame, and is really starting to show my use (over-use?) of magic.  I got these blue magic veins running all over my face.  I guess that’s a side-effect of being a spell spammer at times. 

+ I like the fact that you can view every citizen in the game and see what they like and dislike.  Some are pretty simple, and simply have emotes they like to see or hear.  Others have places they actually like to visit.  You could, theoretically, spend a half hour telling someone to follow you around, and take them to all the places they love.  This will build their affection for you, as you are showing them that you care enough about them to take time out to cater to their likes.  This can garner you presents that they may bestow upon you.  (Of course, you could just as easily take them out behind a shack and shoot them in the face and just take the present I suppose.  I wouldn’t know for sure, as I haven’t actually tried that.)

So that’s it for now.  I managed to hook up with Devil in chat last night.  I think he played for more than 15 minutes.  Huge milestone for him.  Tonight I hope to buy my first “shop” (I really want that pie stand) and to find some books in the library to improve my dog and give me some more emote choices.  As far as quests go... I think in my book now, I have 4 of them.  The "main" quest plus 3 other random things I must have picked up here or there.  Since turning off the trail-thing, I have been much more prone to run into things I probably would not have before.  Per Kato's advice, I now just turn it on when I need it to find my way to get somewhere specific.

So far, still absolutely loving the game.

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2008, 12:36:06 PM »

So that’s it for now.  I managed to hook up with Devil in chat last night.  I think he played for more than 15 minutes.  Huge milestone for him.

Slow down there, Ponchy, I actually paused the game while we were talking, so that time didn't actually count!

I killed bugs.

+ The orb thing is indeed neat.  I ran into Kato last night while he was earning money chopping wood.  Since I haven’t talked to him in forever, I chopped some wood with him while we caught up on things after our voice chat synced up.  It’s not a blow-away feature, but it’s certainly very cool.  I was able to hit a x6 multiplier, which was great. Then I crashed and burned horribly.

OK - How does this meeting up thing work?

I don't read directions - I only read things in here!

I killed bugs.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 12:37:42 PM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2008, 01:48:53 PM »

Man, I just could not stop playing this last night.  Combat is a blast and very cinematic- true to what Peter Molyneux promised it's very context sensitive so if, for example, you fighting near a large cliff then you'll start pushing the enemies off the cliff. 

It's also incredibly impressive how "aware" the other citizens are of you.  I put on some very gentlemanly clothes and all of a sudden people were just swooning over me, following me a round, treating my dog better, praising my accomplishments, etc.  Several citizens were practically throwing gifts at me and offers of marriage abounded without having to woo anyone.

Quote from: Misguided on October 23, 2008, 11:08:22 AM

Bigger and better in every respect (except the minimap which is unfortunately gone from Fable 2).  The areas you play in now are enormous with tons and tons of sidepaths to explore.  You're not just funneled along narrow paths like the first game.  Combat is also much improved IMO because it's incredibly streamlined and it's quite easy to fire off a force push spell knocking your enemies back, hit them with a sword a few times and finish them up with a flourish and then flip around and start shooting enemies with your gun or bow. 
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »

Harkonis and I met up in game last night for about 2 minutes.  He simply stopped by to tell me he had the collector's edition and that I was a loser for having only the standard edition.  Much like he does in any game we play together, he was in it to make me cry.   crybaby

Weird thing is, about 5 minutes after we parted ways, I still could hear him every now and then.  At one point I think he was having a conversation with someone else...

...that or he has imaginary friends sitting on his couch with him during play.

I guess I don't fully understand how "Orb Friends" work in this game.   icon_confused

As for the game itself, I have to admit to being underwhelmed at first.  However, last night I was able to actually put more than an hour into it and I can see where it shines now.  You can't approach this like a bioware rpg.  To me, it plays almost like a sims/rpg hybrid.  I've got a dog to train, people to impress, jobs to excel at and...almost as an aside...an adventure to play.  Once I got into that mindset, I found myself happily gallivanting across Albion.  

p.s. i'm REALLY tempted to turn off the glowing trail quest helper and just play the game for the sake of playing, not for "winning" at this point.  anyone have any pros/cons for doing that?  will it bite me in the butt?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 01:53:36 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: