http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:58:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fable 2 preview  (Read 1923 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2007, 02:42:20 AM »

IGN has a posted a preview for Fable 2, mostly discussing melee combat.  I liked this part
The combat is contextual. It factors in your button presses, your skill level, yours and your opponent's positions, and the environment. Stand near a bottle and you can hold X to pick up the bottle and toss it at an enemy. Fight in a bar and (with proper positioning and timing) you can swing off a chandelier to deliver an attack.

It also sounds like they have an interesting system for handling death in the game.  The article includes the first screenshots as well.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:10:55 AM »

Gah, I can't wait for this game. Other then Bioshock, I think this one is my most anticipated. I know a lot of people hated the first one, but I loved it.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 03:12:41 AM »

Quote from: godhugh on July 12, 2007, 03:10:55 AM

Gah, I can't wait for this game. Other then Bioshock, I think this one is my most anticipated. I know a lot of people hated the first one, but I loved it.

I honestly think you're the only person I know who loved the first.  That's interesting.

gellar
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 03:30:56 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 12, 2007, 03:12:41 AM

I honestly think you're the only person I know who loved the first.  That's interesting.

gellar

I loved the first one, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:58:12 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 12, 2007, 03:30:56 AM

gellar

I loved the first one, too.

me three!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 04:14:34 AM »

You're all nutso!

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 04:26:23 AM »

The original was a good game (good, not great) IF you didn't fall into the uber-mega-hyper-insane hype that the game generated before launch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 05:35:38 AM »

Very excited for this one!  I wouldn't say I "loved" the first one, but I certainly did enjoy it!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:37:09 AM by GatorFavre » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 01:15:02 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 12, 2007, 04:14:34 AM

You're all nutso!

gellar

I thought the first one was great fun-seriously, do you expect us to take YOU"RE* opinion on RPGs (even rpg-lites) Mr. Play for an hour and call it a good day??

Spoiler for Hiden:
Done on purpose to annoy Gellarz.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 01:20:11 PM »

Fable changed the way I see life. It inspired me.

I now stab hobos.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 01:41:15 PM »

I'm getting a bit of a "crazy Molyneux" vibe from this part:
Combat is largely rhythm based. . . To help players feel the rhythm, drums begin to pound when you string combos, signaling times to press the X button. It's an almost tribal experience. And though the drums are initially jarring, their beat melds into the ambient noise quickly. It wasn't long before it felt as if the music were in rhythm with my button taps and not the other way around.

Using a single button for every sword swing, item throw, special attack, and block?  Reminds me of the "no interface!" goal for Black & White.  It's great to dream of this utopian game that filters out all the unnecessaries, but s GUI and multiple buttons aren't always a bad thing!

This part sounds awesome, though:
Perhaps most impressive is that the combat -- the animations, combos, and flourishes -- adapt with your character. When you are younger you will have different moves then when you become a seasoned hero. As you move from good to evil, your animations and flourishes also change.

I wish Molyneaux hadn't trained me to be so skeptical of his wild ideas; it'd be great to just sit back and soak up all the crazy promises without worry of being utterly disappointed.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 12, 2007, 04:26:23 AM

The original was a good game (good, not great) IF you didn't fall into the uber-mega-hyper-insane hype that the game generated before launch.

Yep. nod

I really enjoyed Fable for what it was (a fun hack-n-slash game with a social mechanic that was somewhat interesting, if a bit shallow) rather than be disappointed by what it wasn't (the end-all-be-all of RPG's that Moleneaux promised).  I tend to ignore everything he says prior to the game's release, then just judge it on it's own merits.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 03:15:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 12, 2007, 01:45:17 PM

I tend to ignore everything he says prior to the game's release, then just judge it on it's own merits.

yeah, after they announced the original was going to be for the X-Box I knew that a good portion of what he said would be out the window.  In a way I'd like to see him try doing everything he talked about for game made specifically for the PC.

Because I can,
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 03:41:31 PM »

I enjoyed the game as well and didn't get to play it until I got a 360.
I wouldn't put it on the level of FF or Oblivion, but it was fun to play.

Chicken Chaser!

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »

Fable was a decent game.  I actually didn't start disliking the game until after I finished it, strangely enough.

It was definitely a pretty game, and technically impressive.  But it really, really lacked in both gameplay and the story's execution.  While the story WAS contrived, so are the majority of RPG stories.  So, while "evil dude taking over the world and only YOU can stop him" has been done before, and will be done again... forever, that's not what I'm faulting it for.  The fault lies entirely with how poorly that story was executed.

And while the combat was somewhat repetitive, I didn't mind that (after all, I loved Diablo).  However, I thought the multiplier was one of the most insanely boring design decisions ever.  Why they added a benefit for stretching out weak battles for ten minutes is a really good question, almost as good a question as why they thought it would be fun.

Also, I remember Molyneux bragging about the challenge system.  I pretty much ignored it, since it really brought nothing to the table.  Did ANYONE care about this thing?

I also remember him making a big deal about how you could fart or burp during battles, which was likewise both worthless and ignored.

But if you ignore Molyneux, which is always great advice, and just look at Fable as RPG-Extremely-Lite, it was an enjoyable game.  I think the big disappointment was that with how good the game was technically, it seems sad when you realize it had the potential for so much more.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on July 12, 2007, 03:41:31 PM

I enjoyed the game as well and didn't get to play it until I got a 360.
I wouldn't put it on the level of FF or Oblivion, but it was fun to play.

Chicken Chaser!

I liked being a Chicken Chaser!  It was a fun game.  Nothing spectacular and the final boss was too easy but I had a good time when I bought it for $6.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 04:26:43 PM »

gellar

I didn't love it, but I really did enjoy it.  I'm looking forward to Fable 2.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 04:45:52 PM »

I thought it was pretty mediocre. If the second is anything like the first, I'll pass.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »

I enjoyed Fable.  Good for the $20 I paid for it.  Not what it was hyped to be (no surprise) so I'm pretty much ignoring everything about Fable 2 because I'm sure it will be the same. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 05:19:34 PM »

I enjoyed Fable.  Not enough to play through more than once, but it was light fun while it lasted.  I'm looking forward to Fable 2, and I'd like to see more about the dog discussed in the video diary available on Xbox Live.  Apparently you have no control over the dog other than through your interaction with him, and he is supposed to react to your emotions.  It will be interesting if the implementation is as interesting and entertaining as the intent.  Either way, I normally ignore the self-imposed hype by Moleneaux and will merely wait to see if the sequel will be at least an improvement over the first.  If so, I'll definitely give it a play through.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 06:59:05 PM »

My "Molyn-pwned" pic would be great right now.  Too bad I'm not at home  icon_frown

[edit] this will do:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 07:14:01 PM by unbreakable » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 07:36:58 PM »

"Using a single button for every sword swing, item throw, special attack, and block?  Reminds me of the "no interface!" goal for Black & White."
The other buttons are used, just not for melee.  One controls your bow (B I think), while Y controls your magic.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 07:50:04 PM »

I just got word from Ron- they actually handed him a controller and let him play it!  Eat that, IGN!   icon_twisted

We should have that posted either tonight or tomorrow biggrin

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 08:03:08 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 12, 2007, 07:36:58 PM

"Using a single button for every sword swing, item throw, special attack, and block?  Reminds me of the "no interface!" goal for Black & White."
The other buttons are used, just not for melee.  One controls your bow (B I think), while Y controls your magic.
True, but everything I listed is something that the X button does according to that preview. With the X button you swing your sword, pick up and throw items, use charged up moves, and block.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 01:08:11 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 12, 2007, 07:50:04 PM

I just got word from Ron- they actually handed him a controller and let him play it!  Eat that, IGN!   icon_twisted

We should have that posted either tonight or tomorrow biggrin

that lucky son of a nerf herder!

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 07:35:58 AM »

IGN has the video of the demo here.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 12:41:29 PM »

Was that ron pretending to be the least most experienced gamer?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »

That would probably look better if it said "MolyneaWN3D!!!" instead, huh?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »

I'm curious to see how they are going to handle firearms in the game.  I remember seeing one in the first video ever released, but don't recall hearing anything since.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 03:29:43 PM »

Firearms?  Like muskets or something?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 13, 2007, 03:29:43 PM

Firearms?  Like muskets or something?

yeah, muskets.  In the IGN image gallery they show some concept art and one has a guy standing with one foot on what looks to be a cannonball and another one with a guy in a rocking chair with what looks to be a musket leaning against the wall behind him.  The was one in one of the rendered teaser videos too.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2007, 07:31:41 PM »

From Molyneux's comments in the video, I'm guessing firearms and magic will be handled the same as melee - rhythmic button presses to create different attacks.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2007, 07:47:04 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 13, 2007, 07:31:41 PM

From Molyneux's comments in the video, I'm guessing firearms and magic will be handled the same as melee - rhythmic button presses to create different attacks.

I hope the drums from Rock Band are compatible with the game.   icon_wink
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 08:55:17 PM »

Hey, they can turn it into a family game.  One player plays the combat game, the family provides the musical score which then pumps up the player fighting.

I mean, imagine a Conan game where your family is blasting away the orchestral score while you kill snake men. Tongue
unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 09:05:36 PM »

Only if I get to fire arrows made out of hypnotized snakes.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2007, 12:37:23 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 13, 2007, 08:55:17 PM

I mean, imagine a Conan game where your family is blasting away the cheesy rock music while you kill snake men. Tongue

fixed!

Because I can,
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2007, 12:49:28 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on July 12, 2007, 03:41:31 PM

Chicken Chaser!

My lvl 70 gnome Warlock is named ChicknChaser!

Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2007, 05:33:29 AM »

I'm already turned off but I'll still probably buy it.  X button har! pew pew pew!

and yeah Fable 1 was complete meh.  Did anyone else defeat the last boss by way of lightning stunlock?  I remember walking into the final room and immediately stunlocking him with the chain lightning spell (It's been a few years) -> mana potion -> stunlock > repeat until dead.  Yay! the princess is in another castle do you want to keep the sword? Yes, but can I use it and pillage through the rest of the static and small world? Nope.  WTF roll credits.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2007, 05:41:04 AM »

Quote from: Thry on July 15, 2007, 05:33:29 AM

I'm already turned off but I'll still probably buy it.  X button har! pew pew pew!

and yeah Fable 1 was complete meh.  Did anyone else defeat the last boss by way of lightning stunlock?  I remember walking into the final room and immediately stunlocking him with the chain lightning spell (It's been a few years) -> mana potion -> stunlock > repeat until dead.  Yay! the princess is in another castle do you want to keep the sword? Yes, but can I use it and pillage through the rest of the static and small world? Nope.  WTF roll credits.

yeah, that's how I got him too.  I maxxed out everything by grinding out a ton of XP in the graveyard with the infinitely respawning undead so I pretty much rolled over him.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2007, 05:47:10 AM »

You can keep it if you have the expansion (or the PC version, which includes the expansion).  I don't recall, but I don't even think it was the most powerful weapon in the game.  Or if it was, it wasn't by much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: