http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:34:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How would you rate the Enchanted Arms for 360?
10    - Flawless execution; any issues are inconsequential - 0 (0%)
9      - Excellent overall with some quirks - 3 (20%)
8      - Terrific game with some problems that keep it from shining - 8 (53.3%)
7      - Solid game, but needs work. Not for all gamers - 3 (20%)
6      - Guilty pleasure, for most the problems may stand in the way of the good - 0 (0%)
5      - Gotta be hardcore into this game type to like it - 1 (6.7%)
1-4  - You GOTTA be kidding me. Ellen Pompeo is better than THIS! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F.U.R. : Enchanted Arms [360]  (Read 992 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2006, 06:50:25 PM »

I thought I'd try something new. We have written "first impressions" and we have full game reviews. This is a way for us to use something simple like a poll and some bullet points to highlight good and bad points on a game without investing a ton of space.

Here's the rules for this thread folks : This is my attempt at creating a quantifiable to describe the forum effect. Your votes are not locked in; if there is a big smelly turd in the Boston Creme donut you bought, you can change it(KoTOR2, I'z lookin atchoo). This means the numbers may fluctuate and actually create an overall "current" impression of a game without being just a simple review time-slice that sits unchallenged over the digital ages.

I WANT :
- people to vote if they have played the game to any significant time (2 hour minimum, please).
- people to make brief comments if they've voted and wanted to point out their good/bad points. (not mandatory)
- people to dispute those points in this thread if they want to.
- people to come back and change (for better or worse) their rating of the game if they see fit to do so.
- people who are looking to buy the game to be able to see this and help them decide
- to be able to come up with another line I can start with "People"  icon_lol

I DONT WANT :
- demo reviews; that's not final code. Unless the title specifies otherwise, retail product only.
- bogus reviews. If you haven't played it, don't vote.
- Fanboy review effects. Fanboys can vote if they meet criteria, but I don't want a hater* to skew results.
- this to turn into a help / spoiler thread.

*People are putting their cash down on these games; if you hate Sony/Nintendo/MS/DeveloperX/PublisherY, WTF does that have to do with the game?

For the reply to topics, I'd be looking for:

Quote from: Example in Purge's pathetic little mind
I gave PS3's Eruption at Pompeo it an 8, here's why:
+ Plays like a dream
+ Doesn't have shots of Chris Farley or Chris Rattan in it.
+ Has Ellen Pompeo's body in it.

- Controls aren't "Hands on"
- She's dressed
- Has Ellen Pompeo's face in it.
- Ellen has speaking roles
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:30:27 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:10:24 PM »

Now this is just a great way to illicit feedback from the forum!  thumbsup
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:16:38 PM »

I have about 19 hours in on the game.  Game is a solid C cup for me.  I can't play it regularly as I don't have a 360 so have been dependant on my brother.  

+I love the tactical battle system.. My battles are longer than they should most likely be as I take my time, plotting the perfect destruction of my enemies.

+The story has drawn me in.  I want to find out what is going to happen, I am caring about my characters.  I even like Yuki, the annoying kid.

+Graphics even on an SDTV look great in my opinion.  There are a few spots that aren't as polished but overall very nice.

-My 360 doesn't work so I can't play it as much as I want to.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:59:21 PM by Arkon » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 11:20:02 PM »

I think this is a great idea Purge.

Proving once again that Canadians are not useless, regardless of what others may say.

icon_biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 12:34:51 AM »

I feel that my initial review was balanced, but I'll reiterate and change some points here.

PROS:

-Excellent map system
-Character interaction is generally engaging and sometimes funny
-Crisp, vivid graphics
-Save anywhere
-Involving Battle System
-Golemn system is very fun
-Promising beginning to the Xbox 360 JRPG release line

CONS
-The very early game (first hour or two) is mediocre
-Some areas are spartan and lack visual punch
-Opening characterization is problematic
-Most battles are too easy to win
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 02:47:12 AM »

2 Hours is nowhere near sufficient for this game, IMO.
I'm torn between an 8 and a 9.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 04:43:27 AM »

Almost 20 hours put into this game, I voted a 5. You gotta love JRPG's to enjoy this game, otherwise it becomes a snorefest.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 05:31:40 AM »

I rate it a solid "7".

I'm a little over ten hours and I'm sum it up as a fairly standard JRPG with pretty HD graphics. 

I would have liked to see a 360 rotatable battle camera and some more customization equipment-wise, but it's a nice first showing for the 360. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 06:22:52 AM »

Gave it an 8 at 34% in.

I really like the storyline although the comments/acting can be a bit "hammy". (Trust me, the storyline gets better and better as it goes along)
The battle system is easy to use and works well to add strategy to the fights, but it is a bit easy.
I have yet to have a party wipe 34% in the game, and the most that I have ever lost in battle is one char.
Some of the box smashing seems senseless.
The puzzles range from easy to medium difficulty (mostly easy).
Golem collecting adds the ability to add characters for different situations and play styles.
Mini-games are good for getting items, but I felt like they broke up the immersion. (I'm in a Fantasy world one second and Las Vegas the next  saywhat)
In game musak can get very monotonous
Overall gameplay is extremely fun and counter balances some of the nit-picks
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 06:33:52 AM by DamageInc » Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 11:49:53 AM »

I decided on an 8. Great game, but there are enough blatantly rough spots to keep it from being higher than that. It's a case where the game is awesome, yet you can easily see where it could have been improved.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 12:46:50 PM »

Despite all of the "What were the reviewers smoking?  I'll never trust them again!!!" comments, our average rating of 7.6 isn't really that much higher than the Game Rankings average of 70. 
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 02:55:03 PM »

It's not just the score it's also the fact they down played the gameplay/storyline, probably because they didn't play it long enough.

Another example was the Chromehounds reviews, they totally missed the MP attraction/fun to the game.

The score is a metric, but in some cases a 7 or 8 shouldn't necessarily mean you won't have a good time.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 03:08:05 PM »

It's not just the score it's also the fact they down played the gameplay/storyline, probably because they didn't play it long enough.

Maybe a little, but I think the point is still valid- every time a game comes out and scores in the 7 range there are constant comments of "No thanks, only 8.0+ games for me...That's horrible...the developers should be ashamed...etc" but that ends up being the approximate score here despite all the calls of "ignore the reviews, this game is a real gem, and shouldn't be overlooked." 

It just kind of bugs me because sometimes there are worthwhile games rated in this range that I enjoy because I was in the mood for that particular genre/gameplay, but too often such opinions are beat down by people using the Game Rankings average as a bat without even having played the game. 

Quote from: DamageInc
The score is a metric, but in some cases a 7 or 8 shouldn't necessarily mean you won't have a good time.

That's kinda my point- scores in the 7-8 range usually mean "you might enjoy if if you're in the mood for this particular genre" (which seems to fit the opinions of GT in this case) but readers instead treat it as a scarlet letter and presumably code for "crap." 

Chromehounds is a different case, I think- according to a recent 1Up podcast, MS is actually investigating some kind of way to try and simulate the after-release MP environment for reviewers since the growing trend of increased online integration makes Day One reviews (which readers seem to demand) for these titles inaccurate.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 03:38:17 PM »

I haven't played Enchanted Arms yet (but I will).  I did want to chime in and say that this is a great idea Purge!  You should run with more of these.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 04:21:21 PM »

The downside to this is I could fill a forum up. This should really be incorporated into the site, or at least it's own section. (ForumUserReviews) and each thread should be a poll about a released game. We could keep adding them for each game where someone picked it up and wanted one up.

I've provided a template idea; it'd be YOUR job to implement. biggrin heh. Or I could just do them here when I feel like it. I think we should stick with the same 10,9,8,7,6,5,4-1 with the same descriptions for consistancy's sake.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 07:30:17 PM »

I gave Enchanted Arms an 8, here's why:
+ 'Different' battle system
+ Fairly cool art direction (i.e. Golem design)
+ Purdy graphics

- 'Different' battle system can be a bit boring at times
- Weak music
- Plays like an upgraded JRPG

Enchanted Arms is a fine - albeit highly unoriginal - RPG for the Xbox 360.  If you're a fan of the genre you'll no doubt get some mileage out of the game.  But is it the second coming of Ellen Pompeo?  It is not.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 08:57:56 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 13, 2006, 07:10:24 PM

Now this is just a great way to illicit feedback from the forum!  thumbsup

not that i personally'd be disturbed by a little "illicit feedback" now'n'then, but...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: