http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 10:18:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: ForumUserReview : How would you rate ChromeHounds for Xbox360?
10    - Flawless execution; any issues are inconsequential - 0 (0%)
9      - Excellent overall with some quirks - 2 (9.5%)
8      - Terrific game with some problems that keep it from shining - 9 (42.9%)
7      - Solid game, but needs work. Not for all gamers - 6 (28.6%)
6      - Guilty pleasure, for most the problems may stand in the way of the good - 1 (4.8%)
5      - Gotta be hardcore into this game type to like it - 3 (14.3%)
1-4  - You GOTTA be kidding me. Ellen Pompeo is better than THIS! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F.U.R. : ChromeHounds [360]  (Read 610 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2006, 04:29:07 PM »

Here's the rules for this thread folks : This is my attempt at creating a quantifiable to describe the forum effect. Your votes are not locked in; if there is a big smelly turd in the Boston Creme donut you bought, you can change it(KoTOR2, I'z lookin atchoo). This means the numbers may fluctuate and actually create an overall "current" impression of a game without being just a simple review time-slice that sits unchallenged over the digital ages.

I WANT :
- people to vote if they have played the game to any significant time (2 hour minimum, please).
- people to make brief comments if they've voted and wanted to point out their good/bad points. (not mandatory)
- people to dispute those points in this thread if they want to.
- people to come back and change (for better or worse) their rating of the game if they see fit to do so.
- people who are looking to buy the game to be able to see this and help them decide
- to be able to come up with another line I can start with "People"  icon_lol

I DONT WANT :
- demo reviews; that's not final code. Unless the title specifies otherwise, retail product only.
- bogus reviews. If you haven't played it, don't vote.
- Fanboy review effects. Fanboys can vote if they meet criteria, but I don't want a hater* to skew results.
- this to turn into a help / spoiler thread.

*People are putting their cash down on these games; if you hate Sony/Nintendo/MS/DeveloperX/PublisherY, WTF does that have to do with the game?

For the reply to topics, I'd be looking for:

Example in Purge's pathetic little mind:
I gave PS3's Eruption at Pompeo an 8, here's why:
+ Plays like a dream
+ Doesn't have shots of Chris Farley or Chris Rattan in it.
+ Has Ellen Pompeo's body in it.

- Controls aren't "Hands on"
- She's dressed
- Has Ellen Pompeo's face in it.
- Ellen has speaking roles

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 05:16:29 PM »

I bought this moreso due to an old friend getting it and saying it was great (and another old friend buying it at the same time).  Forum effect played some role in this purchase.

I played one hour of the single player mode to figure it out.  I found that I wanted to pause so that I could go take out the trash or do something constructive.  Single player is bad.

I went online with my friends once for an hour or an hour and a half.  It was okay (I only had the default mech).  But it just didn't do it for me.

That was a month ago, I've not loaded it up since.  Its actually in my car now to be traded in for credit at Gamestop...

I loved MechAssault, and enjoyed the Rainbow Six series (I could argue that this game is sort of a combination of the two?).  Something about this just didn't do it for me; maybe the clans making it so tough to just play with whoever I wanted to play with?  Maybe the customization of the mechs which just didn't interest me (I'm a 'pick up and play' kinda guy).

I understand how people love it; just it wasn't my cup of tea.  I gave it a '5'.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 06:51:26 PM »

i gave it a 9 smile

that 9 is IF you have live and IF you have an active, large community to "squad up" with.  we here at consolegold had exactly that, and it made the game the most fun ive had gaming in a LONG time.  everything from the neat "network area" (teammates going out of comms range, then coming back in with a lil bit of radio static) to the tactics to the flat out fun of 4 or 5 massive machines controlled by your buddies wandering along pretty huge outdoor expanses made it all worth it.  not to mention being able to build the hounds, work on different designs, load different weapons etc etc etc.

i loved it and all the good and the fun of the teamplay was more than enough to make me overlook some of the stupid and clumsy interface points.  and after i played my first multiplayer game, i never looked back at the single (which, im sure everyone here already knows basically DOES NOT EXIST).  i know the low points of the game, but for me the insane amount of time and fun we had online erased them all.  and im saying all this some what, 4 weeks after the massive online gaming with chromehounds disappeared!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 06:56:41 PM »

read this as an EDIT to my above post -

on rereading the poll this game is probably going to be more of a 7 for most people - i just loved it
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 07:16:08 PM »

9 Chromehounds is a excellent  game MP.  A actuive squad is needed to get the enjoyment from the game, but I had a ball with Chromehounds and I am always looking for MP with the GT squad

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 07:20:10 PM »

I gave Chromehounds a 5, here's why:

+ It was somewhat pretty to look at

- Sparse environments
- Online wasn't very fun for me personally
- Very 'incomplete' single player game

If you're into mech games, I would say this would justify a fine rental.  The game had a nice solid 'mech' feel but I don't think $60 justifies a pretty 'eh' online experience.  Get into an active squad and have a ball, but I don't know if the GT squad is very active anymore.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 07:29:32 PM »

I rated it a 5 as well.

I liked the graphics and the feel of the mechs, but it was EXTREMELY complex for me, especially the "garage" where you assemble a mech, I could never figure it out. The missions were lame and the questions I had about the game were never answered enough that I felt that I was correctly playing the game. I finally just sold it but I found it unnecessarily complicated, tedious, and the game did a horrible job at telling me what I was doing and why I was doing it.

I tried it but it wasn't for me.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 10:37:23 PM »

I gave it an 8.

+ Amazing multiplayer game.
+ The closest I've ever been to an MMORPG (never played one).
+ Playing dress up!
+ Teamwork
+ FUN!

- single-player mode sucks
- sparse landscape
- you need a squad, and an active one at that
- unintuitive interface
- "Pothead420 made a massive donation.  Despite this being the 16,842nd time they have received a donation of this kind the government is stunned."
- quirky netcode

The negatives are relatively minor IF you are playing this online.  The bottom line is that I had a blast.

I notice that the people that were in the GT Goonsquad love it, while those that had no idea what they were getting into or didn't join a good squad hate it.  Fair enough!  I loved it but I can understand and respect why people rate it so low.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 11:36:21 PM »

This should have been marketed as an online game, first and foremost.

I had a blast with the online portion of the game.  It's fun as hell with a good squad, which we had here.

There definitely are some quirks to the online portion though.  The news briefs (and especially end of war message) get old quick and have no way of fast-forwarding through them.  I was never successful in getting a match larger then about 4v4 going against other people.  The connection would drop with a larger match.  Nevertheless, it was fun going 6vAI when we had that.  Even a smaller coop group (2 or 3) works pretty well, but the game shines when there are more players involved.

I played the single player campaign and finished it, but just because it was there.  I couldn't care less about the story, and frankly I found it frustrating.  The goals of each mission were not always as clear as they could be and more than once I found myself looking at the mission failed screen without any idea why.

Overall, I give it an 8.  The SP portion I give a 5.  The MP portion I give a 9.  Since the game is more about MP then SP I'm weighting it more heavily.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 11:54:15 PM »

Quote from: stiffler on September 14, 2006, 10:37:23 PM

I gave it an 8.

+ Amazing multiplayer game.
+ The closest I've ever been to an MMORPG (never played one).
+ Playing dress up!
+ Teamwork
+ FUN!

- single-player mode sucks
- sparse landscape
- you need a squad, and an active one at that
- unintuitive interface
- "Pothead420 made a massive donation.  Despite this being the 16,842nd time they have received a donation of this kind the government is stunned."
- quirky netcode

The negatives are relatively minor IF you are playing this online.  The bottom line is that I had a blast.

I notice that the people that were in the GT Goonsquad love it, while those that had no idea what they were getting into or didn't join a good squad hate it.  Fair enough!  I loved it but I can understand and respect why people rate it so low.

I gave it an 8 as well.  The only changes from Stiffler's bullet-list for me:

Pro's:
- Nice diversity of battlefields, as well as quantity: over 80 altogether.

Con's:
- I don't find the battlefields all that sparse; some are, some aren't, depends upon the location. Some of the most commonly used ones (due to their being in the middle of the map and being worth the most money for winning) are some of the more sparse ones, though.
- Somewhat related, the battlefields in each territory that aren't worth the extra cash tend to be far underutilized by most players, and thus not hotly contested and not involved in many battles at all.  I'd have preferred that they just give a flat rate for all territory conquests aside from those in or immediately adjacent to a capitol's territory.

I've also bolded the single most important aspect of this game in Stiffler's post (imo).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: