http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:21:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F.E.A.R. SP Demo out  (Read 3845 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2005, 06:43:11 PM »

Here's the story. Hopefully it will be worth all the hype and the hope. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 08:42:54 PM »

Downloading it now.  I hope it pans out.  I got to see an early presentation demo given by the developers and thought it looked promising.  Finally found a reliable download on 1up.com of all places.  5% and counting!

Wow, just finished playing through the demo.  Very cool.  They seem to have a pretty good grip on storytelling, which is promising.  It's definitely showing up on my radar now.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 10:21:41 PM »

Just installed, playing soon smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 11:24:06 PM »

DL'ing as I write this. Up to 18% now so I'm hoping it pans out.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 11:26:26 PM »

Can't wait for it.  Best AI EVER!!!!!  I can't tell you how many times they would yell out I am flanking them and guys would communicate amongst themselves and then react.  I tried flanking once and when I peaked around the corner instead of seeing the guy just stand there or move to the side a tad he flat out saw me peaking and leaped over a short cinderblock wall to take cover and then called in his buddies.  Freakin awesome.  

Should be very good.  My machine is only middle of the road, but it looked nice.  Not fantastic or anything, but I blame my machine for that.  If you got the juice I am sure it is phenomenal.  

Already had this preordered and will keep it that way.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 12:35:22 AM »

Good to see they're putting to use the AI they created in NOLF2.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 02:02:20 AM »

Just cranked it up and what little I've played looks great, but the controls take some getting used to. I can't crank it up since My Fair Lady is downstairs watching her shows and since sound is so integral to this game, I'm going to have to play it tomorrow. Fuck.

:evil:

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 02:48:55 AM »

One of the best and creepiest demos I have ever played.  The hair on my arms literally stood on end at that one point when the door closes.  WOW.  Finally, a game that actually creates fear, dread, and shock.  I loved it.  I see this being much better than Half Life, for me anyway.  My kind of game all the way.  And I was very pleased to see my pc could run it to my satisfaction.  Not tip top, but at 10x7 with about half of the settings maxed.  Good enough for me to buy it for sure.  

October can't come soon enough for this one.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 04:51:29 AM »

I liked it, but I cannot stand the burst fire mode the SMG's have.  There seems to be a lag in the animation when they fire.  Otherwise it looks great-  the autodetect maxed out most of the settings.

The only bug I seem to have is when I turn on Hardware mixing the voices cut out.  I sat halfway through the intro until I realized something was wrong.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 04:58:33 AM »

OK, that was weird. I haven't checked this PC section in a long time. When I clicked on the PC Gaming section I was thinking, I wonder if there'll be anything new about FEAR...

this post is on the very top... WEIRD. CG's reading my mind. Gotta download this now... nice to see a positive reaction so far. Really looking forward to this game.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 12:20:07 PM »

Have played through it about 3 times now and discovered something different each time.  This one should be on the hard drive a long time.  Love zooming in with that particle rifle and slowing down time to watch the opponent turn into a charred skeleton.  I need to see a doctor.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Qbert
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 12:27:28 PM »

Performance wise, does it play better or worst than doom3/farcry?
(don't have time to download right now).

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 12:32:05 PM »

I didn't think my graphics card was too bad... until I played F.E.A.R.

I had to turn everything down to get a solid framerate.  Still looks OK after the turning down, but not as good as HL2 or Doom 3.  Maybe it's time I got a new card.

Demo is great, with some genuinely eerie moments and some nice A.I.  
I'm thinking I'll be getting this when it comes out.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 12:48:29 PM »

I have a p2.6, 1g pc3200, and a 6600 128meg card.  Ran like a dream.  About the same as HL2 and Doom3, but HL2 ran the worse of all 3 for me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 02:16:14 PM »

Alright, I have a question that must be in spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The cybernaut guy who busts out of the door and kills you: Is this the end of the demo or is there more to it?

Otherwise, it's pretty cool. I actually like the "choose which weapons to carry" hold-over from Halo, oddly enough. It always causes you to strategize a little bit more on how best to assault places. I can't figure out the melee combat though, so next time through I'm going to remap the hell out of the keys and see if that doesn't help. I love the lighting - witness throwing a grenade into the storage area right as the bad guys comes around and during the rest of the gunfight, that overhead light will be swinging back and forth. This. Simply. Rules.

Bullet time is cool but almost strikes me as unnecessary. I'm sure I can do wicked cool moves in the full game, like in the Delta video where the player scissor-kicked his opponent before blasting him with the shotgun :shock:, but I'm stuck with some cool gunfights until I figure that out.

I think it was actually a good move on Monolith's part to release a combat-intensive demo so that all the creepy scripted moments aren't spoiled. Although that opening is one wickedly creepy setup. smile

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2005, 03:58:25 PM »

Okay, nevermind I got past where I was stuck at and holy crap does it then get freaky. I shouted out at one point, and you can probably guess where. biggrin

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2005, 04:12:06 PM »

Darn you all...I hate creepy games...I can only play System Shock 2 multiplayer.  *sigh* Downloading now

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2005, 06:15:17 PM »

Damn, that's some tough AI.  Although I'm not too sure on it being different each time yet.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2005, 09:14:54 PM »

Holy Shit!

Thats my impression of the demo after finishing it...

And, i think it ends, when the screen comes up that says coming this fall.....
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 09:58:47 PM »

This is now my most-anticipated.  I have now gone through the demo 5 times.  Just too cool.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 11:49:26 PM »

great game, had me shouting out too, and shooting at something that wasn't there

love the slow mode option, graphics are more towards the doom3 / riddick style...plasticky

i think they've done a better job with the mood and atmosphere than doom3

but it's giving my computer a beating, i think i'm on the lower end of the graphics settings.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2005, 11:44:39 AM »

Anyone got through it completely without dying once?  I am going to play this sucker til I do.  It's always that big @ss robot-looking dude that gets me.  I've also tried playing through it without saving once and man that is hard.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2005, 01:49:28 PM »

He is without doubt the toughest part. Though I actually beat him without dying and here's how:

Grab the shotgun from the previous room. Make sure you have at least a grenade or two. When he busts through the door, toss one grenade right at him then fall back over the wooden planks to the other side of the room. I then tossed the second grenade past him into the room he just came out of and that took out at least one of the other guys. I then ducked and covered in that room and took him down with a series of shotgun blasts. Confronting him head-on is a one-way ticket to getting your ass kicked. Also, have you tried that nail gun thing he has? Uber fun to play with. biggrin

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2005, 06:31:50 PM »

Oh yeah!  Pinned one guy to the wall by his shoulder and his feet weren't touching the ground.  Awesome.  There's just something about the shotgun and the particle gun in slomo that I love.  Cool cool effects.  I'll try your technique with Mr. Robot Man.  I did watch the completely play-through video at gametrailers.  Guy took him out without a grenade if I remember right.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2005, 10:06:44 PM »

Are you guys even using the slow mo feature?

First of all, use cover, in this game the damage you take is equal to the damage enemies take so the only thing that'll save you is your use of cover, medkits, and bullet time.  Not only that, the enemies have reactions just as good as you do, unlike other games where they tone down the damage or make enemies have a surprised state just after they see you, enemies start shooting right away in this game and they're very accurate.  If multiple guys are shooting at you at once, if you get caught out in the open you're dead.

So, you'll have to make good use of the slo mo feature to move between cover while shooting.  If you're a good shot and have a full bar of slomo, you can use it to charge forward if you want.

Don't frontal rush the heavily armored and superiorly armed super soldier blocking your path.  That way lies madness.

The best way I found to defeat the Heavy, is to simply setup a proxy grenade  on the bridge to deal with the light troops that try to cross.  Then when the heavy appears, use the free slo mo time to back up and take cover.  Once in cover use slo mo to move out of cover and back into cover, either throwing grenades or shooting him in the head with any weapons you have.

He should be dead in 3-4 passes.  Make sure you take his High Velocity Penetrator gun.  The thing fires metal stakes that are pretty accurate and do alot of damage, not to mention it'll pin corpses to the wall for a grisly scene.

Just remember, this game is more Max Payne than Doom 3.  Circle strafing will do nothing for you in this game.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2005, 10:25:13 PM »

God, I'm such a wuss.  That whole Japanese horror thing really freaks me out.  The game looks pretty great but even after the little bit in the demo I'm not sure my heart could take playing the full game.  Maybe if I just stick to playing it in broad daylight...
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005, 11:35:32 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
 Make sure you take his High Velocity Penetrator gun.  The thing fires metal stakes that are pretty accurate and do alot of damage, not to mention it'll pin corpses to the wall for a grisly scene.

It's pretty sweet, that's for sure.  Right after I got it I went down the stairs and shot the first guy I saw through the glass and it pinned him to the wall by the head.

Still, I don't think it's that great unless you get a head shot.   I tried it with some other baddies and it seemed to take several body shots with the thing to take them down.  Obviously head shots are superior, but if you look a the size of the "nail", even a body shot would take almost anyone down.

I'm excited about the game.  I talked to a former co-worker who worked for awhile at Monolith as part of the Matrix Online live team, and he had a chance to play through most of an early build of the game.  He said it was definately a day one purchase, though he griped about it being mainly indoor environments, a la Doom 3.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 11:52:01 PM »

Damn, I got a great shot of a guy pinned to the wall by his hand and head (a half crucifix if you will) and I hit 'print screen' but it didn't save it. frown

Oh, and I blame you for making me buy this Mitch.  Stupid CG Forum effect...
slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2005, 12:19:29 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Damn, I got a great shot of a guy pinned to the wall by his hand and head (a half crucifix if you will) and I hit 'print screen' but it didn't save it. frown

Oh, and I blame you for making me buy this Mitch.  Stupid CG Forum effect...
slywink

Oops. biggrin I'd like to take a moment and share my opinions with everyone. smile That little girl... man she freaks me out. I take it you guys caught the looped video feed that kept rewinding and playing which showed the guy in his cell? Love it!

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2005, 04:28:31 AM »

Here's a challenge to you guys, beat the demo using only melee attacks on the light troops (you can kill the heavy with guns).

That's right, holster your weapons and go all Jet Li on them.

To assist here's a few moves you should try.

The slide kick is done by pressing your crouch button immediately followed by the melee button, either that or press them at the same time.  This move can take down multiple baddies in one kick if they're clumped together.  I used this move to sweep the legs out from under a cluster of baddies after the helicopter dropped them in.

There are two jump kicks, a full on two legged Lui kang style double kick, and a mid air round house.  The double legged kick is done by pressing the melee button right after jumping, whereas the roundhouse is done by pressing the melee button towards the apex of the jump.

The jump kick is extremely useful since it's very long ranged, it'll also knock enemies back 5-9 feet and knock over anyone else in his flight path.  You don't need to holster your weapon to use it, and if you run out of ammo with one guy left in your sights, you don't need to spend a precious second closing with him to do a normal melee attack.

There's also a ground stomp melee attack, it's only done if you're standing and looking almost straight down.  You'll basically stomp down on anything that's at your feet.  It's not too useful.

Also, there's interesting info on the DVD collector's edition of the game.  It sounds like they have some live action shorts on the DVD that's basically some interrogation of that Alma person.  Pretty interesting.

Finally, anyone else think this game just begs for a coop mode?  Playing as Deltas inserted into one of the other hotzones, having maps with various objectives on it.  No bullet time for them, but no getting ripped apart by creepy little girl either.  With the AI as good as it is, coop fo this game would be great.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2005, 05:37:35 AM »

Time for me to finally chime in. Ok, the usual crap-you guys know I tend to be critical, its the reviewer blood in me. I have been known in the past to engage in some hyperbole that I come away from in the end (World of Warcraft got stale fast, etc). However, I can now say without hesitation that if the demo is representative of the rest of the game, F.E.A.R is the 2005 PC game of the year. It is, in a word, simply phenomenal. Breathtaking. Superb.

The gameplay itself is nothing particularly out of the ordinary. The melee stuff is cool, although I have only barely explored it, and a welcome addition to spice things up. The bullet time is interesting. Its extremely well implented, works like a charm, is pretty and has cool tracer effects, and does exactly what you would think it would do. I wish there were some jump-dive-crouch-roll Max Payne special moves in bullet time, but either way its wonderful. The weapons control well, and each of them except the pistol packs punch. The SMG is pretty much throwaway, but then again it acts like you would expect an SMG to act. The other guns, and I don't want to post spoilers, are fantastic. The assault rifle is good if uninteresting, the shotgun is a big booming...boomstick, and the other two spoilerish weapons are simply loads of fun, if not particularly new by themselves.

The game plays much like you would expect a first person shooter of this type mixed with Max Pane bullet time, but just a tad better. I would say the combat elements are much like Half Life 2. They are tremendously fast, furious, and confusing-which was one thing, along with great AI that made HL2 battles so much fun. In F.E.A.R., once you spot your enemies you have, seriously, a second at most to react. They are not stupid, they will not stand around, and their aim is good. You can't take a ton of hits (although its more than just 2-3), and a group of enemies will work together to eat you to peices. In fact, once battle with multiple bad guys is joined, unless you use some slo-mo, the sheer speed of it will confuse the hell out of you. Combine that with dust particles being kicked up everywhere that bullets hit, walls and other things blowing up big chunks everywhere, and bullets whizzing around, and shit, if you aren't careful you can lose the enemy you are just shooting at in a hazy cloud of gun smoke, or worse, get disoriented and its all over. Really, just absolutely top notch FPS action. On par with the greats in the genre-I really need to reboot HL2 and compare.

The graphics are good. I think people comparing it to HL2 are pretty insane-its a good looking game, but it looks about..a half generation behind HL2. They have clearly done everything they could do with it, and it looks phenomenal and has great effects-but its a little behind HL2 with souped up options-that was sheer beauty in motion.

The sound is uniformly superb, from effects to creepy ambient noise to suprisingly good voice-work.

And the story, the presentation. Absolutly AAA top notch. The opening of the demo is cinematic-and really, better than most crap movies we see nowadays. The story set up is intriguing and interesting, leaving you to wonder just what the eff is going on and setting the game up perfectly. And once you get into the mission and the story elements kick in. Holy shit, that is how you make a game both a game, an interactive movie, and a story. The first time
Spoiler for Hiden:
that crazy freaking girl popped up when I turned around on the ladder I got goosebumps and actually said, "holy shit, what the fuck is going on in here"
. The almost Max Payne-ish dream state but without the suck was cool, disorienting, and really frightening-and this from a guy who thinks Japanese horror is more comedy than scary. Truly, the game was disturbing and a tad scary-and if the presentation of the cutscenes and actual levels is going to continue what we have seen so far, I am looking for it to be one of the best stories/interactive gaming experiences in a long, long, long time.

And then we get to the ending of the demo-that is how you build anticipation-reminds me of the incredible end to the first Homeworld-that cliffhanger that desperately leaves you wanting to play just a few moments more. The rest of the gaming community should take note-this, right here is how you make a demo for you game. I will be salivating for this release and already plan to spring the extra bucks for the dvd version. Fantastic!

Note to self: stop using "phenomenal" so many times in the same post.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2005, 05:18:29 PM »

bump because everyone ignored the impressions it took me 30 minutes to write out frown
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2005, 10:13:31 PM »

Rage, I agree with all you said.  What an awesome, unbelievable demo.  Maybe the best I have ever played.  I absolutely want to throw away the next 2 months of my life to get this game.  Bring it on.  

I have played it at least 12 times now and love to try something just a tad different each time.  

And the little girl thing caused my hair to stand on end.   Creepy as hell.  Ofcourse, I loved her in Ring, so, this game should be freaking awesome.  No aliens this time.  Thank God.  

Can't wait.  I hope like Call of Duty back when there will be a second demo come out.   Please please please.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2005, 11:52:42 PM »

sadly this game makes my video card freak out and shut off after about 10 minutes or so.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 02:29:07 AM »

Me like as well... Just started playing it yesterday and it was not running so great.. I goy my new Audigy2 ZS today and installed it and the game is running much better now and sounds better compared to m old TB Santa Cruz. Cant wait for the full game to be released, day one purchase for sure. Its damn hard, but fun hard.
-Tony
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 03:58:34 AM »

I was scared to try this SP demo after hearing how disappointing the MP demo was. This demo does indeed rock. SP-wise it is everything and more than what I was expecting.

I have to respectfully disagree with Rage as far as how this game graphically stands against HL2. While HL2 is undoubtably a beautiful game, I would say that FEAR is a half step above HL2. The textures are more rich and the use of lighting is superb. Performance is decent on my rig but can get a bit stuttery when going around some corners as it appears to be loading textures into memory. The game auto-detected pretty much everything up to maximum (other than the soft shadows). Currently running it on a P4 3.4Ghz, 1 GB RAM and a 6800GT. While it is certainly playable, I may have to tweak with the video settings to get it to be buttery.

kinda SPOILER below
I screamed like a little girl when I went down that ladder and the freak child appeared.

Didn't think the Japanese horror genre was as scary as my wife does... but this demo creeped me out. Can't wait for the game.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2005, 04:05:47 AM »

Quote from: "Mystic95Z"
Me like as well... Just started playing it yesterday and it was not running so great.. I goy my new Audigy2 ZS today and installed it and the game is running much better now and sounds better compared to m old TB Santa Cruz. Cant wait for the full game to be released, day one purchase for sure. Its damn hard, but fun hard.
-Tony

How much did that cost? And do you have an Athlon system?I am having all sorts of trouble with my sound cards, both a Turtle Beach Riviera type thing and an old Live 5.1 gamer and my Athlon rig (not to mention persistent vid card problems)

Edited for actual clarity.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2005, 12:20:56 PM »

I have a P4 system. I picked the card up at Circuit City for $99, but it cn be had for ~75 at NewEgg.

-Tony
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2005, 01:26:20 PM »

I have a couple friends who prefer the sound quality of non-Sound Blaster sound cards, but I've always been extremely happy with my Audigy 2 ZS card.  The F.E.A.R. demo works well on my system at 1024x768 with every graphical option cranked up to max *except* anti-aliasing,  anisoscopic filtering, and soft shadows, all of which are off.  (Actually, the game seems to run just fine with soft shadows on, but it defaults to off so that's where I've typically left it.)

For the record, my system specs are:

P4-3.2 ghz
1-gig Corsair low-latency DDR2 Dual-Channel RAM
Two Western Digital 76-gig Raptor hard drives (RAID 0)
ASUS GeForce 6800 Ultra AGP video card
Audigy 2 ZS sound card

-Autistic Angel
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2005, 05:57:13 PM »

Wow. This game is very intense. I can only play in short bursts. Just got past the elevator dudes and had to turn off. Keep in mind, it's 11:00am and bright out, yet I'm creeped out by the game and I haven't seen any supernatural stuff yet!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: