http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 07:21:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F.E.A.R or System Shock 2 which one is King in scare factor?  (Read 2321 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2005, 02:48:21 PM »

So now that F.E.A.R is out which game has the more scare and fright factor between System Shock 2 and F.E.A.R?

Honestly, after playing a few hours of FEAR I can atm say that SS2 is still the King at least for me.  I remember having to stop playing SS2 cause of the fright factor, but I haven't had many of those moments with FEAR.  I've had some," Oh, SHIT!" moments, but overall I'm not scared when I play.

Xerses is still KING! or rather Queen

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 12:44:48 AM »

SS2, no question.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 12:49:49 AM »

System Shock 2 scared the Shi'ite Muslims out of me.

I haven't played FEAR but I doubt it makes me wet my pants like SS2.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 01:12:03 AM »

From only playing the demo, as good as FEAR is, it is still just a shooter.  SS2 had a whole other vibe going that made it that much more scary.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 04:13:44 AM »

Sissies, all. System Shock 2 was monotonous until the reveal of SHODAN, at which point it kicks ass, but then goes back down the tube. Atmospheric? Sure. Scary? Not even close.

F.E.A.R. for teh win between these two, though I consider F.E.A.R. more intense and freaky than actually scary.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 04:59:27 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Sissies, all. System Shock 2 was monotonous until the reveal of SHODAN, at which point it kicks ass, but then goes back down the tube. Atmospheric? Sure. Scary? Not even close.

F.E.A.R. for teh win between these two, though I consider F.E.A.R. more intense and freaky than actually scary.
Wait, so SS2 is monotonous and FEAR isn't?

I think you might really be factually wrong on this one.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 06:39:05 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

For sheer entertainment value, I would love for you to explain that one.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 07:13:58 AM »

SS2 for the creepiness/atmosphere/mood.

F.E.A.R. for actual, well, fear, and shock value.
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 10:02:56 AM »

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 01:12:39 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
SS2 for the creepiness/atmosphere/mood.

F.E.A.R. for actual, well, fear, and shock value.

I'll have to agree with Calvin here based on my experiences so far in FEAR. Simply put - I knew there was something watching my movements and trying to kill me in SS2. You always had that feeling if you let the game get to you.

FEAR on the other hand has long moments where there's just nothing going on, and then you get shocked when something does happen. One's immersion also is increased if you walk around everywhere, thinking there's something around any corner, so the moments of 'silence' are longer.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 03:06:53 PM »

SS2 I found just boring. The reason why I don't consider FEAR as monotonous as SS2, making no mistake of the fact there are long stretches in FEAR (especially at the beginning) where you're running past the same crates/rooms, is that the scares are varied enough and the environment destructible enough to where things can change in a heartbeat. SS2 just never once did anything for me other than the reveal of SHODAN. One moment of brilliance in an otherwise "meh" game annoys me.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 05:51:01 PM »

SS2 just never once did anything for me other than the reveal of SHODAN. One moment of brilliance in an otherwise "meh" game annoys me.
:|

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 06:05:22 PM »

SS2 just never once did anything for me other than the reveal of SHODAN. One moment of brilliance in an otherwise "meh" game annoys me.
:|

While I do not agree with Mitch, I can see exactly where he is coming from. If you pull yourself out of it and realize it's all Shodan I can see how you could sort of suspend the creepiness factor.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 06:21:44 PM »

When did you play SS2, wbs?  If it was awhile after release, I can understand the clunky graphics sort of screwing over the experience.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 08:50:13 PM »

Considering that I beat SS2 but am too much of a wuss to get beyond Interval 03 in FEAR, FEAR wins by a mile.

SS2 was unsettling and tense for me but I never found it actually scary.  

The only thing that compares to FEAR in terms of scare factor IMO is the Shalebridge Cradle level of Thief 3.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Considering that I beat SS2 but am too much of a wuss to get beyond Interval 03 in FEAR, FEAR wins by a mile.

SS2 was unsettling and tense for me but I never found it actually scary.  

The only thing that compares to FEAR in terms of scare factor IMO is the Shalebridge Cradle level of Thief 3.

Too bad I can't get past being so bored of the first 3 levels to play that far Kevin. Any level jump type utiliites out there? Is it that worth playing?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 09:37:07 PM »

I don't get what's scary about FEAR.  It's predictable, tepid, and completely unchallenging.  (Did anyone honestly NOT see that squad wipeout coming when they tell you to go open the gate at the beginning of the second or third level?)

All the enemies are the same.  All the environments are the same.  There is no challenge or sense of dread since you have next to infinte ammo and can do slo-mo super move every 10 seconds.  It's this year's DOOM3, highly hyped and pretty, but runs like shit and puts you to sleep.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »

Heh, I still refuse to try and finsih System Shock... I'll be giving fear ago when it drops in price in half a year, so I'll vote then.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 12:36:16 AM »

LE....THANKS for the spoiler warning!  Dammit.   :evil:
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 01:55:11 AM »

When did you play SS2, wbs?  If it was awhile after release, I can understand the clunky graphics sort of screwing over the experience.

Actually it was in '99. Just not a game that did anything for me regardless of how crazy everyone here is for it. Recall also that I didn't think Serenity was all that good, whereas everyone here went crazy for it. I never know whether something is going to appeal to me or not until I try it, and SS2 most certainly didn't appeal to me.

/shrug

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 02:07:04 AM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
LE....THANKS for the spoiler warning!  Dammit.   :evil:

Not exactly much of a spoiler. That happens quite early in the game. Not that I'm endorsing what he did though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 03:02:08 PM »

I don't really find FEAR all that scary...now those mommy cyborg things in SS2, or the kamikaze robots...that's another story!

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 05:06:39 PM »

Wait, so SS2 is monotonous and FEAR isn't?

I'd actually have to agree.

FEAR was nothing but monotonous for me.  It was a huge disappointment when all was said and done.  I found it far too predictable.  And then the middle of the game was nothing but fire fights (without the scare or much plotline).

If I added a sig, would you read it?
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2005, 07:02:27 AM »

SS2 - by far.
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 05:41:13 PM »

Quote from: "QP"
I don't really find FEAR all that scary...now those mommy cyborg things in SS2, or the kamikaze robots...that's another story!

Im not one to get scared at video games, but having one of those damn robots walk me was really bad.  There were a few times I would turn around and something would be right there, and I was so spooked I started firing wildly.

About the only thing that broke the experience for me was playing the 'conserve ammo' game with the ammo.  I tried using the pipewrench as much as possible, but when you put it on the hardest level, clearing out that damn warehouse is still too hard for me.

BTW, is there a 'home site' for the patches and texture packs?  I remember somebody was hosting a compilation back at GG, at least for a while, but don't recall who it was.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 08:22:10 PM »

While not an option, I'm going to have to go with the first System Shock... it had me wound so tight that once I was peeking around the corner of the elevator door to see what was on the other side... the elevator door closed unexpectedly and I literally jumped out of my seat.  Literally as in my glutes hit the floor.
rabies66
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 04:58:53 PM »

It took the peer pressure of a Gone Gold Challange to get me past the first floor in System Shock 2.

That game gives me the SERIOUS heebie-jeebies. Finishing it is one of my proudest gaming achievements!

Haven't played FEAR yet. I'll probably wait for the Gaming Trend Challange...

Golden with barlight and beer
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 05:12:17 PM »

Quote from: "rabies66"
It took the peer pressure of a Gone Gold Challange to get me past the first floor in System Shock 2.

That game gives me the SERIOUS heebie-jeebies. Finishing it is one of my proudest gaming achievements!

Haven't played FEAR yet. I'll probably wait for the Gaming Trend Challange...

Yea, that game, the gameplay, atmosphere, sound effects, everything was just amazing and truly frightening.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 08:08:14 PM »

Having now finished FEAR, I can tell you that I found FEAR a more "disturbing" game. There are moments that are just creepy, disgusting, and wacky. System Shock 2 is much better in terms of atmosphere, tension, and all that good jazz.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: