http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:14:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F.E.A.R its gold, so who's gettin it?  (Read 3593 times)
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2005, 02:14:05 AM »

The demo was sweet, but bogged my system (3.5Ghz P4, 1GB ram, 6800GT) until I turned some of the bells & whistles off. I wonder if they got any optimization done since the demo??? I'd love to play this game, but I'm not puttin any more $$ into my pc now with the 360 coming out so soon.

-Tony
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 02:59:28 AM »

I absolutely loved it and will have it minute one.  I also did not have it with full details and whatnot, but could care less.  Looked good enough and played wonderfully.  Love the slow mo mode.  Very nicely done.  Cannot wait.  

IN.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 03:53:31 AM »

So damn cool...the demo scared me pretty bad.  So it'll be an "eeeeeh" sorta thing and if I'm feeling brave, then maybe.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 02:38:25 PM »

Buying the DVD.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 03:29:49 PM »

My DVD preorder is already in.

-Autistic Angel
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 06:02:22 PM »

I forgot to respond here. I am so in. I am getting the DVD collectors edition. I thought the demo was some of the coolest, most interesting, innovative FPS gameplay in a long, long time. The graphics were awesome, the hint of story intriguing, the thriller/suspense movie moments were scary and cool, and the combat was awesome.

I absolutely can't wait. I am going to get this on day 1, wait till dark, turn up the speakers as loud as I can and go nuts. Hells yeah!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 09:27:24 PM »

Still three weeks away?  Meh.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 01:20:49 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

I know, a long wait. Im a little annoyed they can't get these goddamn games out sooner. What the heck takes them 3 weeks?
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 02:14:15 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

I know, a long wait. Im a little annoyed they can't get these goddamn games out sooner. What the heck takes them 3 weeks?

I'd bet its the "World Wide" release....
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 07:32:56 AM »

So, I`m lazy and haven`t installed the demo yet, how`s the performance on this game? I`m running a 3.0, 1 gb ddr, 6800 gt, sb audigy2 ect. Anyone have a similar rig that has played the demo? Thx.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 08:10:41 AM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
So, I`m lazy and haven`t installed the demo yet, how`s the performance on this game? I`m running a 3.0, 1 gb ddr, 6800 gt, sb audigy2 ect. Anyone have a similar rig that has played the demo? Thx.

That will run the game extremely well.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 09:29:20 AM »

Nice, if this one gets great reviews I`ll def grab it. Thanks btw, I figured it would run it well enough :wink: . Not TOP of the line anymore frown , but it still holds its own.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 10:17:38 AM »

I may wait to see if my system (P4 3.0, 1GB RAM, and a 5900 FX) will be able to handle it.  I was able to play the demo, but had to turn things way down almost to an unacceptable level for decent frame rates.  Hopefully some more engine optimization was done for the final product.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 06:00:46 PM »

I'm at 2ghz 2gb ram and an ATI 9800 Pro.

I could run it at 1024x768 with low detail at a good framerate.

Then I switched to 800x600 for a massive performance increase that allowed me to run everything on medium.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 06:21:51 PM »

I liked the demo, even though it did a great job of freaking me out more than System Shock2 and The Undying did.  I became less excited about buying the game at full price when I read in the pc gamer review that it takes about 10 hours to complete it.  The reviewer did say those 10 hours are great, but that's about 2-4 days worth of gameplay for me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 09:14:15 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I liked the demo, even though it did a great job of freaking me out more than System Shock2 and The Undying did.  I became less excited about buying the game at full price when I read in the pc gamer review that it takes about 10 hours to complete it.  The reviewer did say those 10 hours are great, but that's about 2-4 days worth of gameplay for me.

I know exactly what you mean, but from what I remember and have read, there hasn't been a FPS lately that has been more than 15 or so hours. I read most people did Doom3 in 15ish, I took about 20 for HL2, I took about 15 for Far Cry. Painkiller was about 15 again. Some other recent ones were even shorter. Elite Force 2 was about 8 hours, Max Payne 2 was, to me, a simply genius 8-10 hours. While the early previews are saying this game is a solid 12 hours or so, the sheer awesomeness of what I saw in terms of gameplay, visuals, and story (freaky shit!) means that I am still going to be getting great value for my money at 4$ per hour if I play through it once!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 10:18:15 PM »

I will definitely 100% guaranteed play through this dude more than once.  Hell, I have played through the demo like 20 times minimum.  I just love trying different ways of getting through.  I can only imagine how many of similar cool sections I will want to go through again and again.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 10:25:09 PM »

Have had it preordered since the demo came out.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 10:39:36 PM »

I defintely had fun with the demo, but I think I'll wait for reviews before considering a purchase. As much as I enjoy the combat, all the screenshots have shown the same environment that's sure to get old after awhile.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 06:01:57 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I may wait to see if my system (P4 3.0, 1GB RAM, and a 5900 FX) will be able to handle it.  I was able to play the demo, but had to turn things way down almost to an unacceptable level for decent frame rates.  Hopefully some more engine optimization was done for the final product.

That video card is anemic by today's standards so I doubt FEAR or any other new FPS will run well with it.  

BTW, PC Gamer gave FEAR a 92% in their new issue from what I've heard.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 07:02:42 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Quote from: "Nth Power"

That video card is anemic by today's standards so I doubt FEAR or any other new FPS will run well with it.  

BTW, PC Gamer gave FEAR a 92% in their new issue from what I've heard.

I think that as long as you dont go crazy with shaders/AA/AF it should run it pretty ok at 1024.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 07:58:12 AM »

I was able to play the demo @1024x768 w/ everything turned to low on an Athlon 1.4, 512 ram, Radeon 9550. It stuttered in the room with all the reflections, but it was playable.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2005, 06:49:48 PM »

I still haven't gone past the scene where the little girl first appears.  I turn the demo off at this point every time I try to play.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 07:34:30 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
I still haven't gone past the scene where the little girl first appears.  I turn the demo off at this point every time I try to play.

Why? That part is fantastic!!!
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 08:26:16 PM »

Because this game scares me crapless!  It's the combo little girl/Ring/sound effects/atmosphere that just get to me.  I turn into a pile of quivering Jello.

I AM buying the game.  Lord knows how I'm going to last through 10-12 hours of it.  :shock:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2005, 08:41:34 PM »

Because this game scares me crapless!  It's the combo little girl/Ring/sound effects/atmosphere that just get to me.  I turn into a pile of quivering Jello.

I AM buying the game.  Lord knows how I'm going to last through 10-12 hours of it.  :shock:

:  thumbsup As long as you are going to get it and enjoy it. Go man!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2005, 09:06:52 PM »

Guess I should at least try the demo for this to see if it'll run worth anything on my system.

I had to give up on Battlefield 2 since I could never get it to run acceptably.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2005, 12:20:17 AM »

That freaky girl from The Ring gives me the creeps, and that scene during the demo made me want to poo my underwear also.  Anything with creepy kids, creepy kid voices, lab monkeys, or clowns will most likely freak me out.  Thankfully, FEAR looks like it only has creepy kids and creepy kid voices, so I'm safe from lab monkeys and clowns for the time being.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2005, 01:47:15 AM »

I just like the cinematic nature of this game.  Monolith really knows how to push that aspect of their games.  They even encourage players to play cinematically.

Even the little snippet we got in the demo I was replaying for weeks after I downloaded it.  Always trying new moves and trying to get through parts in the coolest way possible.

FEAR played in kung fu action mode is pretty fun.  Once again, if they release the mod tools I hope someone makes a kung fu mod for the game.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2005, 02:14:27 PM »

I am.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2005, 07:15:20 PM »

I just wanted to say how excited I am for this game. I want it RIGHT THIS SECOND!!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2005, 01:33:19 AM »

Me too.  I am literally counting the friggin days.  Can't wait.  Most wanted game right now.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2005, 01:40:42 AM »

I downloaded the demo again the other day to try with my new 6600GT-I know its not top of the line, but it should run it well-plus I need me some more FEAR!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2005, 02:48:59 AM »

I have no doubt that Fear will be a great game but I think I'll have to regretfully pass.  The demo showed me that I'm probably just too much of a wuss to get too far from the game.  Its like an entire game made of the Shalebridge level from Thief 3 and I don't think my heart could take it.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2005, 03:32:01 AM »

My heart can take it... but can my system?  I might end up passing on this one simply because I can't run it...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2005, 06:13:10 AM »

I`m REALLY looking forward to this!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2005, 06:22:25 AM »

I just spent about 1.5 hours with the multiplayer demo, and while it is still a little rough, and the latency leaves somethng to be desired, it was an absolute blast. I played regular CTF and I mean man, it was fast, fun frantic, pretty, exciting, and all that good stuff. Its perhaps a little too fast and frantic considering how few hits you can take, but damn its addictive.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2005, 02:14:52 PM »

How was the MP kung-fu? Or did that even apply?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2005, 03:43:48 PM »

Melee is a bit useless in multiplayer.  Guns kill so fast that it's hard to get in close enough to smack players with your gun or jump and kick them without missing.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2005, 04:56:48 PM »

slo-mo in multi works just as good as single player.  Really nice touch.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: