http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:26:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extremely detailed Wii hands-on  (Read 2382 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:25:48 PM »

This is the most detailed hands-on I've yet seen with lots of information about the hardware and some of the games.  Plus Nintendo's security measures for this demonstration are just plain fun to read about.

http://www.2old2play.com/News/2old2play_Hands_on_Review_of_the_Wii
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 08:43:43 PM »

Nice article, thanks for the link.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 09:59:39 PM »

good article, just have one issue, he states that you actually need to point the remote at the sensor bar, so essentially if it's down low you'd have to point the remote at the ground to center it. This is the first and only time I've ever heard this and I think he is probably wrong on that front. Otherwise, it was a good perspective.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 10:28:17 PM »

Thanks, that killed any excitment for the console I had. :icon_confused: It sounds like I would have to rearrange my living room just to play the thing.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 11:28:06 PM »

very good article: just about decides me to hold off on the wii & get the cube version of twilight princess (after a year's worth of wild world, i can live without the fishing)...

thanks for the link, warning...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:07:00 AM »

Cool article.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 02:09:18 AM »

Pointed out a lot of flaws. Dissapointing, but only one person.

Most of that won't go over well in here!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 02:20:05 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 16, 2006, 09:59:39 PM

good article, just have one issue, he states that you actually need to point the remote at the sensor bar, so essentially if it's down low you'd have to point the remote at the ground to center it. This is the first and only time I've ever heard this and I think he is probably wrong on that front. Otherwise, it was a good perspective.

You are a walking Wii-cyclopedia!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 02:31:25 AM »

Definitely a discouraging article. I really can't wait for the gamespots and IGNs of the world to get these things in and provide more feedback on how well (or not) the wiimote works.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 02:32:56 AM »

Out ever further than before.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 02:40:03 AM »

Quote from: kathode on October 17, 2006, 02:20:05 AM

Quote from: Tebunker on October 16, 2006, 09:59:39 PM

You are a walking Wii-cyclopedia!

I can't believe how much crap I've read in the last two months. Since joining the Gamingtrend news team, I've amped up my game-website reading and I have the problem of remembering too much crap! I've read too many Wii-hands on and I thought it was odd he was the only one who's ever mentioned this. I am hoping one of the bigger sites gets a test-wii or something that they can seriously use and test out before launch so that we can all be assurred that this won't effect us. It would almost be a deal breaker for at least.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 04:59:36 AM »

Having to point the remote directly at the sensor bar seems odd too. That's my biggest issue from reading those impressions - game developers can learn to creatively utilize the unique controls of the Wii over time, but if you're stuck pointing the controller unnaturally above or below the TV, then you're screwed for the entire life cycle of the console.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 05:17:37 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on October 17, 2006, 04:59:36 AM

Having to point the remote directly at the sensor bar seems odd too. That's my biggest issue from reading those impressions - game developers can learn to creatively utilize the unique controls of the Wii over time, but if you're stuck pointing the controller unnaturally above or below the TV, then you're screwed for the entire life cycle of the console.

Which I don't get at all. Why didn't the old shooting games have that problem?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 11:25:27 AM »

So far out it isn't even funny.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 01:21:29 PM »

Wow, one guy posts negative impressions and everyone scatters.  If I compare these to all the positive impressions that I've read, this is just a drop in the bucket.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 01:32:43 PM »

The reason his impressions concern me and put me out further than I already was is because he touches on things that no one else has bothered to mention.  Things like space requirement, sensor placement etc.  Everyone who has been giving impressions have been playing on/in an optimal setting.  He is pointing out the real concerns for your average home user.  He was being practical in his impressions. He by no way was dissapointed with the Wii from what I can tell, he just voiced very real concerns.  His comment about ports frightens me as well.  I was afraid the Wii controls would feel tacked on and not really work all that well.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 01:35:16 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 17, 2006, 01:32:43 PM

His comment about ports frightens me as well.  I was afraid the Wii controls would feel tacked on and not really work all that well.

Honestly, anyone buying the Wii for ports is making a huge mistake IMO, especially if they already have a 360 or are getting a PS3.  Wii, like the DS, will live and die based on exclusive content. 
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 01:36:53 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 17, 2006, 01:35:16 PM

His comment about ports frightens me as well.  I was afraid the Wii controls would feel tacked on and not really work all that well.

Honestly, anyone buying the Wii for ports is making a huge mistake IMO, especially if they already have a 360 or are getting a PS3.  Wii, like the DS, will live and die based on exclusive content. 

Except there are those who see games on the PS3/360 and feel like the controls of the Wii would work very well for the game.  Ports would be great if the controls were implemented well.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 01:48:13 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 17, 2006, 01:36:53 PM

Except there are those who see games on the PS3/360 and feel like the controls of the Wii would work very well for the game.  Ports would be great if the controls were implemented well.

But they likely won't be because the the controls should be considered from the very beginning, not added in a half-ass manner later (which is what we'll be seeing with most ports).

But really, I think ultimately ports will be a non-issue.  The technological gap between PS3/360 and the Wii makes it almost impossible to port those SKUs to Wii.  Most of the stuff we're seeing at Wii launch are ports of previous generation titles and that stuff is going to be going away very rapidly.

Instead, I think we'll be seeing separate, Wii-specific SKUs like Sonic Wii that are developed specifically for the platform, likely with a smaller team and budget. 
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 02:47:46 PM »

The reason his impressions concern me and put me out further than I already was is because he touches on things that no one else has bothered to mention.  Things like space requirement, sensor placement etc.  Everyone who has been giving impressions have been playing on/in an optimal setting.

Actually, I think a good deal of online hands-ons have brought these points up. I know IGN had quite an in depth hands-on, held by Nintendo, where the positioning was actually too close for comfort, and the controls suffered because of it. What I don't know is if this is an issue that only arrises when using the sensor bar.

Truth be told, though, maybe the spacial requirements aren't too extreme. How close do you really want to sit in front of your TV? How close can you sit in front of it with it still being safe? If anyone is looking around their TV room thinking things are going to be tight, well ... maybe you should reorganize your TV room, for the sake of your freakin' eyes.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 03:13:48 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on October 17, 2006, 02:47:46 PM

The reason his impressions concern me and put me out further than I already was is because he touches on things that no one else has bothered to mention.  Things like space requirement, sensor placement etc.  Everyone who has been giving impressions have been playing on/in an optimal setting.

Actually, I think a good deal of online hands-ons have brought these points up. I know IGN had quite an in depth hands-on, held by Nintendo, where the positioning was actually too close for comfort, and the controls suffered because of it. What I don't know is if this is an issue that only arrises when using the sensor bar.

Truth be told, though, maybe the spacial requirements aren't too extreme. How close do you really want to sit in front of your TV? How close can you sit in front of it with it still being safe? If anyone is looking around their TV room thinking things are going to be tight, well ... maybe you should reorganize your TV room, for the sake of your freakin' eyes.

And those of us who play on small TV's?  My nephew wants one of these, but it would be on a 19" TV.  Not gonna be able to see anything at the 8-10 foot range even if you have the room.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 09:14:42 PM »

Unfortunately we really won't know what will be optimal with regards to how far away you need to be etc. until the damned thing comes out. I think all of the concerns are valid. Everything Arkon has mentioned in this thread and past ones are valid, but this write-up doesn't vindicate those concerns anymore than anything else we've read.

I think we can feel better about the overwhelming positive feedback we've read. I've read over 10 write-ups about these impromptu parties and haven't read anything about the sensor bar or control issues. Which leads me to think his setup wasn't done very well by whomever Nintendo paid to set it up(usually local marketing companies), and his impressions suffered because of it. I mean, nowhere on the internet has it stated that you have to point the remote at the bar, so why all of a sudden does him saying that make it true?

I just hate this typical lack of information we get from Nintendo, this could all be solved if they got IGN, Gamespot and a few other credible sites a demo machine so that they can give us full fledged hands on where they put the machines through it's paces.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 09:16:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 17, 2006, 01:35:16 PM

Gree completely, though I am interested in Madden for the Wii. The game has gotten too complicated for the other systems, IMO.

Quote from: Arkon on October 17, 2006, 03:13:48 PM

And those of us who play on small TV's?  My nephew wants one of these, but it would be on a 19" TV.  Not gonna be able to see anything at the 8-10 foot range even if you have the room.

Kind of funny that Nintendo seems to have designed a product that is ideal for the big tv in the family room, but doesn't support 720p/1080i

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 09:27:06 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 17, 2006, 01:21:29 PM

Wow, one guy posts negative impressions and everyone scatters.  If I compare these to all the positive impressions that I've read, this is just a drop in the bucket.

This is now the second or third article in the last month with some sort of cautionary or concerning note about the Wii, more specifically the sensor bar. I think its normal that people are concerned with it.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 09:31:38 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 17, 2006, 09:27:06 PM

Quote from: The Grue on October 17, 2006, 01:21:29 PM

This is now the second or third article in the last month with some sort of cautionary or concerning note about the Wii, more specifically the sensor bar. I think its normal that people are concerned with it.

I believe it's the second, but Nintendo has already come out saying that the Sun affect is minimal now, and so now we need some legitimate feedback or confirmation that you have to point it straight at the sensor bar, I'd feel different about this if I was reading it in an official hands on report on a major website.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 01:09:19 AM »

Another somewhat pesimistic thought: if you need to be eight feet or so away from the tv screen to play the games properly ... how the hell are the in-store demo kiosks supposed to work? That's a lot of open space that a store has to dedicate for a Wii kiosk. Forever, if they want to always have new games to try out.

Does that make any sense?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 01:15:53 AM by Dafones » Logged

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 04:09:42 PM »

Btw, I just watched a nice little 3 minute feature at IGN on Madden Wii. It shows a little bit on how the controls work and shows some of the tutorials (YAY!) and mini-games. Shame it won't be coming out until so late in the season.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 04:50:48 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on October 18, 2006, 01:09:19 AM

Another somewhat pesimistic thought: if you need to be eight feet or so away from the tv screen to play the games properly ... how the hell are the in-store demo kiosks supposed to work? That's a lot of open space that a store has to dedicate for a Wii kiosk. Forever, if they want to always have new games to try out.

Rumor has it, only EBGames stores will get Kiosks due to the issues and the fact they will have to be closely supervised..

Not a good thing for sales IMO.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 04:54:31 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 18, 2006, 04:50:48 PM

Quote from: Dafones on October 18, 2006, 01:09:19 AM

Rumor has it, only EBGames stores will get Kiosks due to the issues and the fact they will have to be closely supervised..

Not a good thing for sales IMO.

There have also been rumors that that rumor isn't true.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 05:31:23 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 18, 2006, 04:54:31 PM

There have also been rumors that that rumor isn't true.

NOA themselves seem to be debunking it here.

We are providing interactive experiences to a number of different retailers where consumers can experience Wii.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 02:31:16 AM »

Kobra, no offense man, but you're not batting too good with the Wii information to date... nod

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 03:11:07 AM »

http://www.thewiire.com/news/522/1/Wii_Kiosks_to_be_Wireless_Supervised

I know some stores that will not be able to provide a person to guard the Wii.  Kobra may not be that far off...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 12:02:30 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 19, 2006, 03:11:07 AM

http://www.thewiire.com/news/522/1/Wii_Kiosks_to_be_Wireless_Supervised

I know some stores that will not be able to provide a person to guard the Wii.  Kobra may not be that far off...

Most stores will get a freestanding and self contained kiosk, but I know a lot of Ebgames have TVs setup for demoing games, so I would expect that these would be the places that have the free standing systems that will require an employee to keep an eye on the person playing the machine.

deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 03:08:40 PM »

I have been salivating over the Wii since I first started hearing about it.  The control issues mentioned are not a deal breaker to me at least, because I was more than likely going to use Wavebird controllers anyway.  I don't really find myself interested in the Wii Remote stuff.  Speaking of which, we will be able to use regular controllers for all the games right?  That's a deal breaker for me otherwise...  frown

I hope we can use regular controllers...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on October 19, 2006, 03:08:40 PM

Speaking of which, we will be able to use regular controllers for all the games right?  That's a deal breaker for me otherwise...  frown

Only if the game specifically supports it.  For example, the Wii version of Zelda can *only* be played with the Wii-mote.  If you want to use a gamepad with Zelda then you have to play the Cube version (which is admittedly backwards compatible with the Wii). 
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2006, 03:15:42 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 19, 2006, 03:10:00 PM

Speaking of which, we will be able to use regular controllers for all the games right?  That's a deal breaker for me otherwise...  frown

Only if the game specifically supports it.  For example, the Wii version of Zelda can *only* be played with the Wii-mote.  If you want to use a gamepad with Zelda then you have to play the Cube version (which is admittedly backwards compatible with the Wii). 

Thanks for the info!  Not a deal breaker for me it would seem.  smile
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 05:00:46 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on October 19, 2006, 03:15:42 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 19, 2006, 03:10:00 PM

Thanks for the info!  Not a deal breaker for me it would seem.  smile
Yeah for that one title, expect almost every other game to use the remote and it's eventual multitude of attachments

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 01:40:03 AM »

I have been salivating over the Wii since I first started hearing about it.  The control issues mentioned are not a deal breaker to me at least, because I was more than likely going to use Wavebird controllers anyway.  I don't really find myself interested in the Wii Remote stuff.  Speaking of which, we will be able to use regular controllers for all the games right?  That's a deal breaker for me otherwise...  frown

Wii games use the Wii remote. GameCube games can use the GameCube controller while playing the game on the Wii.

Don't expect to use many Wii games with the Cube controller. I think the only game that has been suggested will use the Cube controller so far is the Wii Smash Bros title.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 02:46:08 AM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121210&page=5

click on that and scroll down a little bit. Taken at Best Buy by an employee, It will be interesting to see how it all works and looks. We should see this by the end of the month.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: