http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:14:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: exploring in WoW & EQ2  (Read 978 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2004, 11:02:19 PM »

For those of you who have been playing these two games, yet another question...  I am a casual  mmorpg player who might be able to manage 5-10 hours a week, maybe more, maybe less.  I am really looking for a mmorpg that is fun to explore and check out new areas.  I don't play to rush through levels, although I know certain levels are needed to visit certain places.  But out of wow and eq2, which is better in terms of cool vistas and interesting scenery and places to visit?  I'd play both solo and in groups, but mainly to check out the lands, meet people, and kill cool things.  Thanks in advance.
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 11:23:48 PM »

I can't speak for EQ II as all I've seen is WoW.

In WoW, from what I've seen so far, each race has a very unique and interesting starting location and while some zones technically require you to be higher level, you can go exploring and hide from the Alliance/Horde patrolling guards or stay on the road and avoid the creeps (still can't call them mobs...)  The landscape is very beautiful and I love flying on bats, gryphons and the like to appreciate the terrain/monsters, sometimes even seeing stuff that's levels ahead of your character.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 12:17:38 AM »

In EQ2, you start off in one of two very different cities, depending on your allignment.

Qeynos is the good city. Everything is beautiful, everybody knows your name, and life is like out of a Disney movie. You'll also find a mini-home of the 'good' races of EQ1 there in each of the city zones. The nearby zones (and dungeons) are also more of the same pretty vistas.

Freeport is the evil city. Everything is dank and dark, the people call you worthless scum, and if you looked up evil in the dictionary, you'd find a picture of this place. The nearby zones show the same dark outlook on life as well.

If you have a high-end PC and video card, you'll find some amazing looking realistic vistas in EQ2. While WoW went for a more 'cartoony' look (but don't get me wrong - I still loved how WoW look), I prefer the realistic looking lands of EQ2.

Also, that 5-10 hour a week limit would be enough for either game. Both titles aren't geared (at least based on what I've seen) for long, drawn out dungeon crawls. Yes, you can spend some time in the dungeons, but there's always an exit somewhere nearby. Now, I haven't played either beta to high levels, so I don't know what the end-game is like, but both titles are nothing like EQ1's slow-paced gameplay.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 12:18:23 AM »

Both games give you exp for discovering new areas, and since you can only play a few hours a week, I suggest you choose WOW, since soloing is supposedly much easier in WOW, than in EQ2.

Plus, WOW has the rest state, which means anyone who is offline for 8 hours will get a 200% exp bonus the next time they log on. The duration of the exp bonus is based on how long you were camped, but an 8 hour camp is the minimum - I think so, anyway.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 02:02:15 AM »

Quote from: "Raven"

Plus, WOW has the rest state, which means anyone who is offline for 8 hours will get a 200% exp bonus the next time they log on. The duration of the exp bonus is based on how long you were camped, but an 8 hour camp is the minimum - I think so, anyway.

That's the best idea I've heard from this genre of games.  This alone could sway me towards wow.  Also, the collector's edition is 10 bucks cheaper than eq2's collector edition. smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 02:53:49 AM »

Both titles aren't geared (at least based on what I've seen) for long, drawn out dungeon crawls.
There are MOST ABSOLUTELY larger dungeons that do not have exits nearby (discounting the use of the hearthstone that can warp you back home 1x per hour) but they are a bit higher in level.  There are some dungeons that, if you aren't horribly over-leveled for the area, might take upwards of two hours to complete.  That's about right I think....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: