http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 11:35:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Expansion coming for Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising  (Read 4086 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »

they seem to be hinting at it.  pretty cool marketing ploy by THQ if it is indeed what they've got in the works.  I wonder how long it will take to get Nerons (unless they're already in the game, I haven't gotten that far with it due to too many freaking game sales).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:15:10 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »

It's going to be a Chaos expansion.  If you think about it, it's really about time.

Although I really don't want even more space marines running around.  However, DoW1 setup a plotline revolving around Blood Angels and their connection to Chaos, and the demon they unleashed, so it's really about time they settled that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 05:27:43 AM »

next months UK PC Gamer will have some details.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:13:12 PM »

official announcement.  only the Blood Ravens though?  maybe they're holding another group back for a later announcement.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:14:47 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:01:19 PM »

Sounds good...but I would also like to see another race get a campaign at some point.  As one of the few people that really liked the meta-map campaign style of Dark Crusade, with different scripted maps and stories for each faction, I would really like to see that in a future expansion too.  I got a ton of value out of that format playing DC.   
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 08:03:40 PM »

This will be an automatic buy for me. No questions asked.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »

here's a new teaser.

Because I can,
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 11:39:09 PM »

If they could mix the campaign and unit upgrade graphics of Dark Crusade, and the Diablo loot and gameplay of DoW2, I'd fly over and give them each a wet sloppy kiss.

That'd be the greatest game of all time.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 11:45:38 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on September 28, 2009, 11:39:09 PM

I'd fly over and give them each a wet sloppy kiss.

That'd be the greatest game of all time.

rated M for mature I assume  Tongue

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 08:48:01 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on September 21, 2009, 05:01:19 PM

Sounds good...but I would also like to see another race get a campaign at some point.  As one of the few people that really liked the meta-map campaign style of Dark Crusade, with different scripted maps and stories for each faction, I would really like to see that in a future expansion too.  I got a ton of value out of that format playing DC.  

I really like the DC meta-map campaign as well.  I thought DC was well received, at least it got decent review scores (Game Rankings says 87% over 38 professional reviews).  Did the player base not like the Risk Style DC map?  I assume DC sales must have been okay -- at least good enough to justify the Soulstorm expansion which came after it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:49:55 AM by ydejin » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 09:05:56 PM »

You know, I still haven't been able to actually get my Steam copy of DoW2 to run once.  It always crashes at the end of trying to check/install DirectX, which I don't even need. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »

a preview from IGN.  the corruption concept sounds neat and could make re-playing the SP portion attractive.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 03:56:20 PM »

a new trailer and gameplay.  that's a wicked looking beastie in the pic for the gameplay video  icon_lol

Because I can,
Belhazamar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 06, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

a new trailer and gameplay.  that's a wicked looking beastie in the pic for the gameplay video  icon_lol

The Great Unclean One?
Greater Daemon of Nurgle. My brother got one of the Forgeworld ones awhile back, don't think he's finished it yet.
Here is how Mythic rendered theirs in Warhammer Online.

Warhammer Chaos is cool. That should be a qualifier, like Warhammer Chaos Cool shoes you are wearing there, Jerry.  Or something like that...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 03:29:13 PM »

it's gone gold!  now I have to debate whether or not to pre-order or wait for a sale and finally get back to playing the original campaign for DoWII.  If only Steam had offered a better pre-order bonus than Saint's Row 2.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »

Wow... a Nurgle unit! I was convinced that it was Khorne or nothing! I'm a much bigger fan of Nurgle and Slaanesh than Khorne. I was onboard anyway, but this looks like I just might pre-order. So Saint's Row 2 is really that bad? Maybe I'll just Amazon.com it, it might be cheaper that way.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 05:43:02 PM »

There's technically 3 nurgle units.  The Plague Champion, one of the commander units in multiplayer.  The Plague Marines, slow moving, hard to kill space marine equivalents that explode in a cloud of pestilence when they die.  And the Great Unclean One, Chaos's tier 3 super unit.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 06:56:15 PM »

Do you have to choose which Chaos God to follow and that decides the end unit? Or is it seriously possible to have a Bloodthirster and Great Unclean One at the same time!  eek
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »

I think during the course of the match your choices dictate which Chaos god you end up supporting, and that unlocks your higher tier units. I swore I read that somewhere. its like a tech tree.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:38:23 PM by Pharaoh » Logged
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 12:32:33 AM »

Looks like I better place my order today, then. I was thinking this was going to be like DoW 1, where Chaos only had one god to follow. I'm going to guess, though, that they didn't put Slaanesh and Tzeentch in the game, possibly because the Dark Elves will be a future race?

Bael
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 03:56:26 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on February 22, 2010, 10:35:04 PM

I think during the course of the match your choices dictate which Chaos god you end up supporting, and that unlocks your higher tier units. I swore I read that somewhere. its like a tech tree.

Nope.  There's a few god-focused stuff with shrines that you build.  And you can get god-focused upgrades. But otherwise the units for Chaos are the same across all commanders.  A Chaos Lord (Khorne) can make a Great Unclean One, and upgrade his units with Tzeentch shit.

Just Hiro will do.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 03:15:49 PM »

a new dev diary and the second video is new units that everyone will get via a patch.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »

Well, I got mine now. I guess I can DL Saint's Row 2, but I probably won't. So excited to play as Chaos!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 01:01:27 AM »

MP free for all action to get you pumped.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »

2.7 GB patch?  Jupiter's Cock that's huge!

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 06:02:16 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on February 24, 2010, 03:41:41 PM

Well, I got mine now. I guess I can DL Saint's Row 2, but I probably won't. So excited to play as Chaos!

I played Saints Row 2 the past couple of nights courtesy of the free give away with the purchase of the expansion, and that game is nuts...in a good way.  I don't know how I missed it, but it's been more fun than GTA4.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the temptation of Chaos plays out during the campaign.  I can't decide if I'm going to succumb to the dark gods on my first playthrough, or be the ardent, zealous follower of the emperor.  It would be cool if you were forced to go down that path, "for the greater good", and ultimately ended up corrupted. 
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 10, 2010, 05:55:24 PM

2.7 GB patch?  Jupiter's Cock that's huge!

LOL Ceekay.  I think you need to add "Jupiter's Cock" to your sig.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 07:06:30 PM »

I preordered Chaos Rising, and supposedly got the SR2 deal.  But SR2 hasn't shown up in my games list yet.  Does it not show up until CR is released?  I haven't checked since yesterday I think.

Also, Jupiter's Cock is an excellent expression and I look forward to using it often.  Kudos, CeeKay.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »

Alas, it was Hepcat who brought out jupiter's Cock and showed it to everyone.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »

Saints Row 2 shows up in your Steam Gifts and Guest Passes area.  Click on the Games->Manage Guest Passes and Gifts... to send yourself SR2 as a gift.

I've been playing the MP for this game rather heavily.  If anyone wants help learning it, let me know.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 10, 2010, 07:52:55 PM

I've been playing the MP for this game rather heavily.  If anyone wants help learning it, let me know.

Which, SR2 or CR?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »

I'm re-DL'ing DoW 2 stock, I don't know if I need to, but I figure I might as well be prepared. I imagine I need to have it on the drive if I want to transfer my characters (although Chaos Rising is standalone, right?).

Bael
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »

I meant Chaos Rising.

On steam, DoW2 and CR are the same program.  If you have DoW2 and got the 2.4GB Chaos Rising patch, all that's downloaded is a 1MB key unlocking the CR aspects of the game when you buy CR.  It's actually a nice way of handling it, even if the patch is 2.4GB.

In multiplayer, the new Chaos faction is fun to play, very different from Space Marines.  While SM are generally more up front in the way they fight (direct shooting, more direct DPS style attacks and abilities), Chaos tier 1 units start out weaker than SM in direct damage, but makes up for it with nastier commanders and more support abilities.  Right out of the gate Chaos units get access to the Heretic Worship, which depending on which commander you have (and which got he's aligned to) the worship provides small but useful bonuses in a very large radius.  Meanwhile the T1 upgrades to chaos units help close the gap.  Heretics in particular can be used as suicide bombers against incoming melee units, since they have an ability to detonate a squad member to do AoE damage to enemy units (friendlies aren't affected) which makes getting close to heretics risky, but heretics also die to a stiff breeze so 1 on 1 even if a heretic squad uses the explosion, if there's even half the enemy squad left they will win, so they need support.  However, you can also upgrade heretrics to have grenade launchers, which loses the detonate ability but turns them into early artillery that is useful against any infantry type, and they have a long range grenade barrage ability that will disrupt and damage units, useful for knocking out suppression weapons.

The Khorne worship, so far, hasn't been that useful since it only boosts unit speed and energy regen, not too many early abilities, besides commander abilities that rely on.  but when I eventually play the Plague Marine Champion, the nurgle worship provides a very slow healing aura, but good for prolonged battles.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »

I'd forgotten how much I missed this game until I realized I was hitting the refresh button on the update page every 5 minutes last night.   icon_biggrin

By the time it was unlocked, I was already in bed, unfortunately.  I did check out the intro movies this morning and it got me hyped.  I have finals tonight for a class I'm taking, so I won't be able to play until later.   icon_frown

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 06:03:18 PM »

I'm getting some odd sound bugs, with some chugging and repeated sounds. Anyone else experiencing that?

Bael
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 08:44:20 PM »

The planet disappearing into the Warp and then returning has an Event Horizon feel to it.  My veteran commander from the 1st campaign just made landfall. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 11:36:02 PM »

Oddly enough, things disappearing in the warp and returning at odd times later is pretty common in the 40k universe.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 12:00:46 AM »

It's early, but I'm suspecting they screwed the pooch somewhat with this one. Giving the Eldar a walking artillery unit in tier 2 was... rash. It'd be one thing if it sucked against infantry, but it chews up everything.

Outside of that, the Librarian is a cool unit for the SM. Haven't played against a CM yet, so I'm curious how that plays out!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 03:12:31 AM »

They're nasty, a bit too nasty, but they can be countered pretty well if you're prepared.  If anything gets into melee with them, they can't use their guns, a perfect situation for assault marines.  They also have artillery rules, which means they'll tend to miss units that are moving.  So if you see Eldar spearheaded by wraithguard, sometimes it's a good idea to just charge in, especially if you have a librarian.

If you're playing space marines, make sure you use your scouts as scouts.  They have the second largest vision radius in the game and a very fast move speed for basic infantry.  You'll be able to see threats before they see you, and you can move to keep them from taking fire.  This way, you'll be able to spot incoming Wraithguard.

A lot of the new units in CR multiplayer are meant to be line breaker units, capable of breaking through entrenched defenses and drastically changing up the game.  For SM though, the Librarian is something that helps with holding the line using his abilities.

A lot of the shock of these new units comes from Super Heavy Infantry armor class.  Everyone is used to infantry, heavy infantry, and vehicle class stuff and knows what to use against them.  With SHI, they take little damage from basic fire, and only slightly more from energy/power weapons.  However, most SHI class units are also large units, which means they can be targetted and hit by AV (anti-vehicle) weapons reliably, although AV weapons only do a little extra damage.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:17:28 AM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 03:32:33 PM »

free wargear for registering your game.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: