http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 05:50:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Excite Truck: 6.8 at Gamspot  (Read 2203 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »

"Unless you're a completist, you'll be done with this one almost immediately." Control issues too...Oy vey! 

Eeek!

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:57:29 PM »

OUT!  Been thinking about cancelling that preorder for weeks.  I'm going to go in today and switch it over to Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, which is getting stellar reviews.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »

I was most interested in what they had to say about the controls, what with some people saying it's the second coming of Christ and some people saying it's a gimmick.  Doesn't look like we'll get an answer on that from this game.  They seemed very neutral about it.  As in, it has potential but could have been better implemented.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 03:51:17 PM »

Grumble, grumble, grumble. I really wanted to like that game. 'Tis a shame.

Onto the Monkeyball bandwagon!!

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
siege

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 04:23:36 PM »

Jeff Gerstmann. If you watched the Gamespot video deal with them all playing the Wii a few days ago, this score won't come as a shock. He looked completely bored playing the system, not even attempting to move off the couch to play Golf in Wii Sports.

With that being said, the game is pretty mediocre. It's fun for awhile, but the lack of content is really disappointing.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 04:28:45 PM by siege » Logged
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »

Yeah the lack of content sucks, I am not a gerstman fan, and I am sure other reviews will be more favorable, but this is a problem with this development studio, same ones who did 1080 Avalanche, there's not enough content to justify $50 bucks. Hopefully they'll get their heads out of their asses and realize that people need more in there games. I won't support another Nintendo console that half-asses half the games in the content department. It was like that with the Cube, where half the games were deep and had a lot of meat to hold you and the other half had great gameplay that barely lasted 5 hours of content.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:55:24 PM »

I like JG.  He's really knowledgabe about the industry in general and games in specific. He's also quite HI larious on the Hotspot.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 06:08:03 PM »

I usually like him, but he does seem to be slightly biased against the Wii (just reading his reactions talking about the remote and watching him play on the epic play video).  None the less, this game has dropped from must buy, to wait a little more.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 06:09:47 PM »

I played it at EB - Seems like a reasonable score.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 06:18:46 PM »

I've read a *lot* of Jeff Gerstmann over the last ten years.  He's reminiscent of Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream: he might come across like an entertaining prankster or even a doofus to the casual observer, but I wouldn't stake anything of value against him in a contest of wits.  That guy is smart, a lot smarter than he likes to let on, and for whatever reason he's chosen to dedicate a large portion of his life to critiquing video games.  It's easy to argue with his decision to give Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 a perfect score, but on the whole, I've learned to give his opinions a lot of weight.

-Autistic Angel
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 06:26:37 PM »

I have this one reserved, but may hold up for another review or two.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 07:10:42 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 15, 2006, 05:55:24 PM

I like JG.  He's really knowledgabe about the industry in general and games in specific. He's also quite HI larious on the Hotspot.

Strange- I find that he comes off as rather ignorant on the Hotpsot though I don't really have any strong feelings on his reviews one way or the other. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 08:31:20 PM »

I am bummed about the low score and the seemingly shallow nature of the game. Having said that, I just watched the Video Review on Gamespot and while I certainly heard everything Jeff said, the gameplay footage looks so awesomely fun. I am torn.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 09:45:24 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 15, 2006, 06:09:47 PM

I played it at EB - Seems like a reasonable score.

I just played it, myself. at Gamestop.  I was a little underwhelmed, myself.  More to the point, I think my wife would hate it.  I may get it at $30, but not $50.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 09:53:30 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 15, 2006, 08:31:20 PM

I am bummed about the low score and the seemingly shallow nature of the game. Having said that, I just watched the Video Review on Gamespot and while I certainly heard everything Jeff said, the gameplay footage looks so awesomely fun. I am torn.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 12:26:57 AM »

I gave it a whirl at my Gamestop and found it to be entertaining. I don't know if the simplistic (yet fun) gameplay is worth $50 though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 01:48:28 AM »

I predict this will be the norm for Wii.  A couple of blockbusters, then a shitton of poor low grade titles.

I mentioned last year that I feared all of the developers will be treating the controller gimmick as the next "Lens Flare" or "Bloom", and going hog wild with it, while not paying much attention to game content and gameplay.  Thus was my fear.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:50:34 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 01:51:37 AM »

Quote from: siege on November 15, 2006, 04:23:36 PM

Jeff Gerstmann. If you watched the Gamespot video deal with them all playing the Wii a few days ago, this score won't come as a shock. He looked completely bored playing the system, not even attempting to move off the couch to play Golf in Wii Sports.

With that being said, the game is pretty mediocre. It's fun for awhile, but the lack of content is really disappointing.
Definately the reviewers fault!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 02:47:57 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 16, 2006, 01:48:28 AM

I predict this will be the norm for Wii.  A couple of blockbusters, then a shitton of poor low grade titles.

I mentioned last year that I feared all of the developers will be treating the controller gimmick as the next "Lens Flare" or "Bloom", and going hog wild with it, while not paying much attention to game content and gameplay.  Thus was my fear.

Well, in my opinion, the videos made the game look fun without even taking the controls into account. Just looked like a ridiculously exagerated off-road racer that'd be great to play with a group. I never cared which system it was on, or what kind of controller it would be using.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 03:22:26 AM »

Ah, yes, because 1 launch title is a perfect representation of the entire run of the system, present and future...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 03:42:27 AM »

I never really expected Excite Truck to be a winner. It's very much along the lines of early Xbox and PS2 racers, such as Quantum Redshift and Xtreme G Racing. Competent, may even look good or be unique in some way, but totally outclassed by 2nd generation games.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 04:05:17 AM »

So far I'd guess the average review score of Wii games is higher than the average score of PS3 games.  But judging from the reviews I have seen I would say it is true.

Edit:
Using Gamerankings scores for the reviewed games so far on the Wii and the PS3 here are the average scores:
Wii
PS3

Of course this doesnt really mean much, but I find it interesting.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:11:50 AM by GatorFavre » Logged

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 04:14:26 AM »

http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746278p1.html

IGN 8.0's Excite Truck:

Closing Comments
I'm more of a Burnout and San Francisco Rush fan than a Gran Turismo and Forza gamer, and Excite Truck for Wii is definitely right up my alley. Excite Truck is clearly a first generation console game that will, without a doubt be outdone in the Wii system's later years. But as a game that bursts right out of the gate as a launch title for the system, Excite Truck is a fulfilling, fun, energetic arcade-style racer that features a good balance of technology and technique. There are a few spots in places that could have been filled, like its weak two player option and trick system, but overall this game definitely pulls off the intense racing rush that quality arcade racers offer.

7.0    Presentation
Solid amount of features that show off Wii capabilities, but don't expect to be overwhelmed by a huge feature list of options.

8.0    Graphics
Really fast visual engine with lots of texture detail and effects. Frame rate takes the occasional hit, but nothing alarming.

6.5    Sound
Extremely generic, southern garage rock that can be replaced with your own playlist through the miracle of SDs and MP3s.

8.5    Gameplay
Absolutely fast-paced, maniacal, yet intuitive and responsive racing game that features a great amount of energy and fun.

5.5    Lasting Appeal
If all you want is to see the dozen or so tracks then you can do that in a couple of hours...it's getting the Super Excite mode that extends the play. Multiplayer isn't a selling point.

Impressive    OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 04:14:57 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 16, 2006, 03:22:26 AM

Ah, yes, because 1 launch title is a perfect representation of the entire run of the system, present and future...

And wasn't there a similar prediction when the DS came out?

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 04:24:50 AM »

wait, have any of Kobra's predictions ever rang true? Everything he's told us about the Wii launch and what not have been so blatantly out there and wrong that I think it's safe to say that his predictions mean nothing.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 04:26:08 AM »

Games:

Gams:

Games:

Gams:
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 06:12:41 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 15, 2006, 06:18:46 PM

I've read a *lot* of Jeff Gerstmann over the last ten years.  He's reminiscent of Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream: he might come across like an entertaining prankster or even a doofus to the casual observer, but I wouldn't stake anything of value against him in a contest of wits.  That guy is smart, a lot smarter than he likes to let on, and for whatever reason he's chosen to dedicate a large portion of his life to critiquing video games.  It's easy to argue with his decision to give Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 a perfect score, but on the whole, I've learned to give his opinions a lot of weight.

-Autistic Angel

sorry, couldn't resist.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 01:04:39 PM »

That IGN review is suspect. I have a feeling that this game would get a 6.0 if not for the fun of the Wii's controller, to which I say, congrats to Nintendo!

Making average games great with a funky controller!

I think control is important, but is it that much of a determinig factor?

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 01:11:21 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 16, 2006, 01:04:39 PM

That IGN review is suspect. I have a feeling that this game would get a 6.0 if not for the fun of the Wii's controller, to which I say, congrats to Nintendo!

Making average games great with a funky controller!

If it changes the way a game feels or plays, then yes it is. If it feels tacked on and not special in anyway, then it is less important, and shoudl probably detract from the review. I think the review read more like a 7 or 7.5, and I think they bumped it up because the reviewer is keen on games like Excite Truck, over the top arcade racers.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 01:33:52 PM »

'bunk - I'm not sure. It really did seem like a very average game to me. Fun? Yes, but done to death over and over again. Nothing new besides the controller.

I see this another, typical, red flag for another Nintendo system. Are we going to get old games over and over again that people will somehow eat up because a) They are classic Nintendo franchises, and b) They add new controls?

I always bitch about this when it comes to Nintendo, same old stale games.  :icon_sad:

At least the controls are different this time around.  icon_biggrin

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 01:41:22 PM »

Im out.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 01:44:56 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 16, 2006, 01:04:39 PM

I don't know- how's Guitar Hero with just the Dual Shock? 
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2006, 01:46:24 PM »

KEVIN, DAMN, DAMN fine point.

That would have been a mediocre game with the dual shock for sure.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2006, 01:46:49 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 16, 2006, 01:33:52 PM

Fun? Yes

When did it become the case that being fun was no longer the point? Who the hell cares whether it's been done before as long as it remains fun?
Having said that, if it were exactly the same experience, it probably wouldn't be fun.
All I know is that every time I watch a vid for this, it looks like a blast.
I do have some concerns about it.
The number of tracks seems limited.
I really dislike the fact there are no AI cars when doing split screen.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:48:56 PM by Misguided » Logged

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 01:54:03 PM »

It was fun for the 5 minutes I played it, and the only thing that was actually fun about it was the controls. I didn't see it as something you would want to go back to.

Guitar Hero? Doesn't compare. If EVERY PS2 game used the same guitar controller (that would be fun) the uniqueness of the control scheme would be lost and the games would actually have to produce on a different level. EVERY Wii game will use this controller.

I know, I know NIMM.  icon_wink

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 01:59:04 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 16, 2006, 01:54:03 PM

Guitar Hero? Doesn't compare. If EVERY PS2 game used the same guitar controller (that would be fun) the uniqueness of the control scheme would be lost and the games would actually have to produce on a different level. EVERY Wii game will use this controller.

But they all use it different ways.  We might some sort of standardization in Wii FPS controls, but the controls in Rayman Raving Rabbids are completely different than those in Wii Sports which are different than Zelda..... 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 02:00:17 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 16, 2006, 01:54:03 PM

It was fun for the 5 minutes I played it, and the only thing that was actually fun about it was the controls. I didn't see it as something you would want to go back to.

Ok, so the novelty wears off quickly. That I can grok. Thanks for the clarification.
I'm a little leery of this one now too. Hopefully I can try it soon.
Thing is, I've had this one pegged as one my son would love, so if not this, I'll have to pick another.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 02:14:51 PM »

Too bad they didn't bundle Excite Truck with the Wii along with Sports.  Sounds like it'd work as a good "ooh neat" tech demo to get people used to the controller like Sports is doing.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 02:18:40 PM »

KG - I'm just going under the assumption that all racing games will use the controller in a similar way

and

Misguided - It's not the control scheme novelty that wore off.

What I'm really saying, and aparently not too clearly, is that the game itself is not very good and the only thing that made it remotely fun was the remote itself (hee!).

I'm assuming there will be other racing games that will use the same controls and be a lot better games on their own.

I was questioning the 8.0 score just on what will be a common control scheme for a mediocre game.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 02:47:11 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 16, 2006, 02:18:40 PM

I'm assuming there will be other racing games that will use the same controls and be a lot better games on their own.

Probably...but GT Pro looks awful, buying NFS on Wii makes no sense at all, and Monster 4x4 is a port of an xbox game that got awful review scores.
I'd really like to get a racing game, but maybe not.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: