http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:49:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex-Titan Quest Developers working on a new game: Grim Dawn  (Read 8814 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2013, 07:45:05 AM »

I bought this, since I love the genre it seems. I had some major issues at first, so if anyone else like me have a pretty nice rig, but have severe graphical lag, try forcing the game to use your real graphics card. I had to do so through NVIDIA control  panel.

Oh, and the game is pretty fun so far :-)

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »

Yeah I got this via Steam Early Access over weekend (had a modest $3-off sale).

Combat's very visceral and gut-busting, and the environs are as nice as I remember Titan Quest's. The option to combine two classes into one (or not) at L10 and any time after is fun as was TQ's class mixing stuff. I remember TQ feeling way way too easy on its initial difficulty mode. So far, Grim Dawn seems a bit more challenging from the get go.

The pacing feels a bit more deliberate/tactical than some of the other action RPGs I've been playing of late (Path of Exile, Marvel Heroes, Adventures of Van Helsing). Still fun/exciting, still often tackling huge hordes, just kind of a refreshingly different gameplay experience imho.

I like that the tree's less about making you fret about choosing from dozens of active skills and more about a reasonable number (I counted maybe 9-10 on the Soldier's tree) and then picking how you customize them with passives. Or else just throwing points at the lower slider to generally improve your character.

I guess the caveat is that with Path of Exile free and even the vastly improved since launch Marvel Heroes free, it's a bit tough to convince folks to drop $30 on an incomplete, no-multiplayer-yet, slightly rough around the edges action RPG in its alpha state.

It's very fun and satisfying combat though, and as someone with debilitating FPS motion sickness issues, I'm just enjoying this unexpected isometric action RPG golden age -- spent the weekend playing Path of Exile, Marvel Heroes and Grim Dawn. icon_cool

I'm sorry I didn't get in on the Kickstarter and stuff, just wasn't paying attention.  icon_smile So far working on one Soldier (love the Blitz charge, and various sword attacks), and one Demolitionist (tossing the explosive cocktails reminds me of dwarves in Bungie's Myth) separately.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:51:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »

Hey BJ, how is it we never seem to game together since we apparently like all the same games lol!

I've been playing the alpha on and off (I did catch the KS on this) but it definitely seems much more polished now.  Essentially if you like Titan Quest you'll probably enjoy this as a "spiritual" (though darker) sequel.  All in all I think I like the feel of this better than PoE, but I do have a couple of technical issues.  First of all it doesn't seem like you can scale the UI so the fonts and buttons look tiny to me.  I think there are timers on the skills but I can't tell if they are represented graphically, so often I am hitting a button and nothing happens.  I'd love a configurable UI.  Also similar to State of Decay, the environmental graphics can be so dense and dark that the color palette can drown out the mobs.

The good news is that the gameplay itself is solid, with all the bells and whistles TQ had and a very similar customization system. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2013, 05:23:58 AM »

I do find it odd that they don't seem to mention what the story for the game is on their Steam page.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2013, 05:35:11 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2013, 05:23:58 AM

I do find it odd that they don't seem to mention what the story for the game is on their Steam page.

Story?  There are evil loot piñatas that need their blood squished out of them roaming the world.  Do that until you kill the big evil.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2013, 05:37:24 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 12, 2013, 05:35:11 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2013, 05:23:58 AM

Story?  There are evil loot piñatas that need their blood squished out of them roaming the world.  Do that until you kill the big evil.  smile

but why are the piñatas evil?  why are they carrying loot?  where did they get the blood?  are they vampire piñatas?  what is my motivation not to just team up with the big evil and destroy the rest of the world in a violence filled orgy of bloody piñatas and loot?  I MUST KNOW!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 11, 2013, 09:58:14 PM

Hey BJ, how is it we never seem to game together since we apparently like all the same games lol!

I've been playing the alpha on and off (I did catch the KS on this) but it definitely seems much more polished now.  Essentially if you like Titan Quest you'll probably enjoy this as a "spiritual" (though darker) sequel.  All in all I think I like the feel of this better than PoE, but I do have a couple of technical issues.  First of all it doesn't seem like you can scale the UI so the fonts and buttons look tiny to me.  I think there are timers on the skills but I can't tell if they are represented graphically, so often I am hitting a button and nothing happens.  I'd love a configurable UI.  Also similar to State of Decay, the environmental graphics can be so dense and dark that the color palette can drown out the mobs.

The good news is that the gameplay itself is solid, with all the bells and whistles TQ had and a very similar customization system.  
We used to play Words With Friends but you kept ignoring your turn!  icon_razz

Yeah scaling UI is on everyone' wish list. My understanding is the tiny dev team is focused on big picture stuff (fixing bugs, building Act II and the 5th class etc), though I'll bet they have a list of 'quality of life' improvements like that to work on.

Official forums are very lively:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/index.php

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2013, 06:56:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 12, 2013, 01:55:00 PM

Quote from: rittchard on November 11, 2013, 09:58:14 PM

I've been playing the alpha on and off (I did catch the KS on this) but it definitely seems much more polished now.  Essentially if you like Titan Quest you'll probably enjoy this as a "spiritual" (though darker) sequel.  All in all I think I like the feel of this better than PoE, but I do have a couple of technical issues.  First of all it doesn't seem like you can scale the UI so the fonts and buttons look tiny to me.  I think there are timers on the skills but I can't tell if they are represented graphically, so often I am hitting a button and nothing happens.  I'd love a configurable UI.  Also similar to State of Decay, the environmental graphics can be so dense and dark that the color palette can drown out the mobs.

We used to play Words With Friends but you kept ignoring your turn!  icon_razz

Yeah scaling UI is on everyone' wish list. My understanding is the tiny dev team is focused on big picture stuff (fixing bugs, building Act II and the 5th class etc), though I'll bet they have a list of 'quality of life' improvements like that to work on.

Official forums are very lively:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/index.php

Oops I am so bad with Words With Friends lol!  I go in phases I guess, haven't been on it much lately :-)

I didn't realize they were doing a 5th class, that's good to know!  So much harder for them since every new class needs to be tested as a combo with all the existing ones.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2013, 11:20:56 PM »

Gotta turn on the Words With Friends turn alerts or you'll never know.  icon_smile

The fifth class is apparently the Arcanist, but haven't found much detail on it yet. I would guess it's more of a pure spellcaster type.

The Grim Dawn Wiki mentions a Vigilante mastery class too but that would seem to add up to 6.  icon_razz I read some yakking about a possible guns-focused mastery class so perhaps that's the Vigilante, or perhaps the Wiki is out of date.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2013, 12:29:33 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 12, 2013, 11:20:56 PM

Gotta turn on the Words With Friends turn alerts or you'll never know.  icon_smile

The fifth class is apparently the Arcanist, but haven't found much detail on it yet. I would guess it's more of a pure spellcaster type.

The Grim Dawn Wiki mentions a Vigilante mastery class too but that would seem to add up to 6.  icon_razz I read some yakking about a possible guns-focused mastery class so perhaps that's the Vigilante, or perhaps the Wiki is out of date.

They have lots of plans for expansions, so they're probably already planning several classes beyond the five already known.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »

Yeah saw a dev post they hope to add more than one mastery with the extra content but maybe a bit early to talk about a specific number. The fifth mastery is at least planned before release version's finalized.
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10706&highlight=soldier+steel
It's a resource constraint, not a desire constraint.

Unlike TQ though, we intend on adding more than one mastery with future content. icon_biggrin

YouTube already has a trillion Grim Dawn gameplay videos, but...

Here's my first  Cool Although I have some cool boss battle footage, I'd rather not spoil things so I didn't include any of that.

Grim Dawn gameplay footage (alpha, Steam early access)
http://youtu.be/oZArr4xv8v4
*This is mostly fairly early in the storyline, and I haven't added in a second class mastery yet. So just using a few Soldier actives and passives. I tend to rely heavily on Blitz the most, also the wide melee swing attack, Blade Arc.

Cadence:
Cadence is the core combat skill of the Soldier mastery. When used in place of your left click, your auto attacks will generate charges. Every third charge, you will slam your target with an overhead swing. Modifiers for this skill add bleed damage that resonates with nearby enemies and a chance to unleash one of three devastating effects with every Cadence.

Blade Arc:
Arched swing that slices through multiple targets around you.

Blitz:
Technically you just need a melee weapon for this but if you have a shield, you make a tremendous charging bash with it that devastates groups and individual targets alike. While I was a bit disappointed there's no dedicated shield mastery skill set like in TQ, I do tend to blame that for my Titan Quest Tendinitis because the shield skills were lower in damage (but imho awesome to use/watch in action) -- so maybe it's for the best for my wrist health  icon_smile

Forcewave:
Forcewave is a close combat wave attack which stuns your enemies. It also serves as an excellent early level area of effect attack. Modifiers for Forcewave cause it to reduce armor and increase the stun duration along with added bleed damage.
I should use it more often, I just often forget that I have it (I assigned it to my mouse wheel button)

Beyond that, you can see my guy sometimes leaping up and bringing his sword down or doing a thrust; those are "% chance skills" that have X% chance of triggering when you attack.
--------------------
As of mid teens I haven't really found an uber weapon. A short sword that has a 16% attack speed modifier has been useful, and found a good axe with multiple modifiers (and of course I'm putting in various gem things). The store has some things that sound great but are ludicrously expensive (I'm not interested in hacking my savegames).

I think I've done all quests except the Warden but no matter how many times I exit and come back in (the "blockades" on the map randomize), I can't seem to find a route north to the Warden. Everything seems blocked north of Burrwitch Village. I'll check the forums about that.

I explored to the east and there's this big, padlocked metal door but I don't know if that's a weird path to the Warden (no idea how to unlock it), or perhaps is a gate to future planned content. From dev posts, Act II will be west across the currently broken bridge by the prison/town.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:21:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »

ooh, they have the dual classing again?  I liked that about TQ, even if you could level yourself into a corner with the builds at higher difficulties. 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2013, 06:09:49 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 13, 2013, 03:43:25 PM

ooh, they have the dual classing again?  I liked that about TQ, even if you could level yourself into a corner with the builds at higher difficulties.  
Yes, starting at L10 (you don't have to, it's optional, or you can add the second mastery any time after that), you can add in any other class as a second class. You can also just pick the other mastery briefly to scan the skill tree, and then immediately undo it.

They have cool names for the various mastery-combos -- I looked them up:
Nightblade hybrid builds: Blademaster, Saboteur, Witch Hunter, and Nightstalker.

Occultist hybrid builds: Witchblade, Pyromancer, Witch Hunter, and Warlock.

Demolitionist hybrid builds: Commando, Pyromancer, Saboteur, and Deathdealer

Soldier hybrid builds: Commando, Witchblade, Blademaster, and Outlander.
Don't ask me what's what, my tiny mind can't figure it out yet. I know Soldier/Demolitionist is Commando.  icon_smile

You're not limited in terms of what you can equip, but for the most part certain types of things (melee for Soldier, ranged for demolitionist) tend to make a bit more sense with some specific skills, but you can quick swap weapon types and many players seem to like doing that.

Yeah as in TQ it's possible to spread yourself too thin across the couple masteries. I think with me I had a Shield mastery in TQ and then something else that maybe didn't compliment it well and so I probably had to do way too much clicking cause I just wasn't doing enough damage (thus the TQ Tendinitis syndrome  icon_razz)

I think it also helps because there really aren't that many active skills in each tree. If one finds only having a few buttons to click tedious then you can mix in some from another set (by default, 0-9 keys are bindable or you can change them in options). Occultist has some really nice pet type skills (raven, hound, floating eye) with their own passive buffs later on.

For now I'm just slogging as Soldier only and while I would say it gets a bit repetitive, I just enjoy the animations so much it doesn't bother me. I should branch out soon though.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:26:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2013, 06:40:46 AM »

I finally finished act 1 in the wee hour. The last waypoint is really not very close to the final dude, and I just couldn't bear the thought of having to go through all those hordes of munsters to get there again tomorrow. The Warden is tough but not unfairly so, and they don't do the D3 schtick of him full healing before you return to  your portal.

Got a pretty cool sword and shield amongst the end rewards.

Did finally add in Occultist for the Witchblade hybrid, though I just put in enough points to get the Raven pet.

Can't wait for Act 2, detailed at the forums other day:

Grim Misadventure #34: Just Over the Bridge

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10708
After you repair the bridge in Devil’s Crossing, you will enter the area known as the Arkovian Highlands, wherein you will have your first encounter with the ruthless gang that is terrorizing this region.
But ugh, I need some rest.  icon_smile

And trust me, if you like fighting zombies, BY GOD MAN, Act I will throw more zombies at you than you perhaps ever wanted to face.   paranoid They're even labeled "Walking Dead," which is of course all the rage these days.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »

Demolitionist's Grenado. Is good (image below).  icon_smile While I've mostly lost interest in alt-itis in this type of game, so far every class mastery in GD is so much fun simply to play, it doesn't feel tiresome to go through zones and quests again.  icon_cool

Went with Occultist as second skill set again, and this time trying to get the raven pet and its healing passive asap (have it at L13).

If you like to blow zombies, beasts and HP Lovecraftian giant eye monsters into spectacular geysers of goo, you'll probably want to be a Demolitionist. I recommend wearing eye goggles though.  icon_smile While you don't have to use guns or bows with Demolitionist, it has one nice active main attack that has passives requiring a ranged weapon. And it's kinda refreshing in this kinda game to fire away albeit with relatively sluggish revolvers and rifles.

--------------------------
And a new build came out today. It's auto-updated on Steam:

Build 15 notes
http://steamcommunity.com/games/219990/announcements/detail/1784844770866652410
Build Notes:

Tech:
    Added opt-in anonymous statistics reporter. Reports dxdiag logs and various gameplay stats back to our server.
    Crashes should no longer break character save files.
    Fixed a crash that could occur when particle based decals were applied between regions.
    Fixed a bug where simultaneous pet attack/pet death could result in missed quest credit.
    Fixed a bug where loot orbs had a small chance to generate no loot.

Game:
    The amount of Aether Crystals required for the Kasparov's Experiment quest has been reduced to 4 from 5.
    Increased the rate at which base weapon damage scales up between item tiers.
    Increased base damage for 2h guns.
    Reduced defensive ability on certain common monsters and champions.
    Reduced the number of dynamic barriers in various levels, notably Wightmire, which is much more open now.
    Reworked parts of Wightmire, adding a secondary road to serve as a more obvious but less direct path through the swamp while making the Milton Hart quest location a little more of an "off the beaten path" destination.
    Set Warden to "Never Roam" in hopes that he will finally stay in his room!
    The one-shot chest in the mine containing the captive rovers has been moved to a new, higher level, location. Characters that have already looted this chest will not get a second chance at its new location.
    Direni now has a maximum level he can spawn at when hostile.
    Most One-Shot chests now spawn randomly around their areas (ie. the Burrwitch Estates one-shot chest will always be somewhere in the Burrwitch Estates).
    One-Shot chests will now only be marked as opened after the player has actually opened them, rather than merely discovering them (Yes, this includes the Warden's chest, which has been reset for all characters).
    Added a new component (Viscous Venom). Adds poison resist to armor.
    Added line of sight checks to Bloody Pox, Sigil of Consumption, Doom Bolt, Curse of Frailty.
    Fixed a missing roof hitbox causing a line of sight issue.
    Added partial localization files to distribution.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:49:27 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2013, 01:26:03 PM »

A few glorious minutes of gooey kablooie Demolitionist footage (in case you don't want to sit through the 25 minute Demolitionist video some guy posted earlier).

The Demolitionist (Act I)
http://youtu.be/20OufVzGaK0

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »

*interrupts the Playstation 4/XBone forums with a cameo PC post that will immediately slide back to page 4 in the forum category*   We put the fun in funeral

I completed Act I with three of the four classes (Soldier, Demolitionist, Nightblade). I found Nightblade trickiest though once I put a few points into the 360-degree Whirling Death dual-wield attack (Nightblade's melee attacks are mostly of the "% chance to occur" variety passives), I found it easier to tackle large groups. If you don't have that, large groups can be a pain.

While I technically enjoy Soldier and Demolitionist more, Nightblade's teleporting-to-target-and-attack does tremendous damage and seemed to let me better take down certain bosses quickly. I seemed to need a few less deaths to take out the Act I finale boss for example.

Demolitionists' various explosives attacks are unbelievably fun and great on large groups though sometimes it's tough to make some space to use them. Soldier was a blast, but I found all that frantic clicking a little tough on the wrist (still no Titan Quest Tendinitis thank God).

Although I haven't seen an ETA on Act II going in, I did see some dev posts suggesting they hope to have that in by early 2014. Which sounds far away but is like 6 weeks away.  icon_smile

It's funny how on the initial run, it feels like GD doesn't have enough waypoints, and that the last waypoint is too far from the final boss (though currently, you can simply drop a waypoint outside the room, fight, die, zip back to your portal, create a new one - lather, rinse, repeat). On subsequent playthroughs, imho, felt like there were plenty and the last waypoint placement was fine.

Most folks will finish Act I maybe around L15-17, depending on how fast you run through things. Current cap is L25. One side quest off to the east (locked door you can unlock) has an L28 boss.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:32:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »

New build posted Dec. 31. Although players claim it's on Steam, I have auto-updates enabled for it and so far don't see any evidence of the build updating. Harumph. icon_confused

Bringing in the New Year with B16 v0.2.1.4!
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11644
With B16 out, we should be starting internal testing for Act2 very soon and then, barring no major problems, it should hopefully be out by the end of Jan or early Feb.
Supposedly looks a little sharper now, with improved textures, rock textures and a new lab dungeon set for the Warden's lab. Couple new side quests mentioned.

Supposedly much tougher now as they've made some balancing nerfs on classes, boosted enemy armor and ability to damage you, while apparently boosting the damage by skills provided by equipment.

Not really a major update per se, but the nerfs/enemy buffs seem to have really made it more challenging. Medierra also said co-op multiplayer (under development) is coming along, and they hired one former Titan Quest dev to help with that:
Multiplayer is getting close - just today a programmer solved one of the biggest remaining problems; a positioning sync issue. The next big thing is figuring out how to work quest status, since some quest result in world changes / allow different completion options. Then there are some minor bugs. We have a new programmer starting in a couple weeks and he actually did some of the original multiplayer work for TQ, so that should help accelerate things a bit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:10:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »

Crate added Act II earlier this week, revamped the UI and improved graphics, added tons more weapons, equipment, enemies etc. If you finished Act I, you need some coinage and a few of that lasso string item (name escapes me) to rebuild the broken bridge and access the Act II environments to the west on the world map. You don't need to start a new character unless you want to - I don't think there's a min. level to access Act II. I think you want to complete the main Act I stuff, and then there seems to be a new final quest (from the commander in his office, I think it is) that awards you a big lump of coins to help cover said bridge repair costs.

Act II
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12560
Quote from: Medierra
We're very excited to be releasing Act II today, which will roughly double the playable content and raises the level cap to 35. There are also tons of general improvements, including the redesigned HUD, lore codex, graphical enhancements, loads of new items and insidious quests.

We still expect to revisit Act 2 to layer in a bit more content, as we've done with Act 1, so it isn't totally final yet. We have plans to expand the challenge UG "Steps of Torment" and add in another quest. However, we wanted to get it out to everyone in Feb as we'd said we would and we also need to be able to move on to adding in other coming features, such as the blacksmith / recipe crafting, a new quest reward display, dual wielding of pistols and the integration of Act 3 content.

Changelog:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12565

I only dabbled in a bit Wednesday. While the initial Act II environs didn't impress me too much beyond maybe the running streams, did run into some pretty tough new enemy types here and there. Roughest seem to be a bunch of these "rock monsters" that appeared to have a mix of immunity and resistances to my various attacks. Lot more ranged attackers in general (human and otherwise).

The co-op isn't in yet fwiw.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:08:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »

Some peeks at Act 2 munsters. Graphics and FX look better all the time though I've turned off antialiasing at this point for frame rate issues.

Shield of Knives or something. I knew it was time to back off  icon_razz

Thunder wolf. There really aren't that many lightning-focused enemies to this point.

Shamblers, which seem to come in a few different varieties in Act II (Moss, Earthen etc.):

*These like to swarm, and so far I have found them very difficult to whittle down. Their "rock armor" seems to deflect physical attacks to some extent, and have a lot of immunities.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »

Crate's always adding more items in updates, here's some interesting ones:

*Yeesh, 29% speed boost, I'm afraid my brain won't be able to process it. I'm unclear on if the -75% speed affects me or the enemy that hits me.  confused

Interesting pistol. I think firearms will be more meaningful if/when they add the Gunslinger class Crate's talked about.

First really powerful Badge (tiny slow below/right of character's belt) I've run into. This is one of those temp skills that has a small chance to trigger when hit.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »

Co-op multiplayer arrives! (addendum: PVP too, it's an option when you set up an MP game)
http://steamcommunity.com/app/219990/discussions/0/34096318787624648/
Build 20
With the release of Build 20, you may now host and join multiplayer sessions in Grim Dawn! Please be aware that this feature is still being improved upon so while it is playable enough to be fun, it is very likely that you will encounter performance issues, crashes, and bugs. As always, please post your findings here.

Enjoy!

[Major New Features]

Multiplayer is now available! You can now host and join multiplayer games via Steam.

Note that this is feature includes a large amount of background changes, and though they went through extensive testing, something may still have slipped through. Please report any multiplayer-related crashes, quest errors and character bugs at our forum.
    -The Main Menu has been overhauled so that getting right into the action is faster than ever
    -All masteries now feature a new set of skill modifiers called Transmuters. These modifers open up new build opportunities by providing you with the choice of specializing a skill at the cost of some trade-offs.
    -Dismantling is now available at the Inventor. You must first complete a short quest (available after repairing the bridge to the Arkovian Foothills and rescuing the apprentice).
    -Dismantling allows you to turn items you do not want into valuable scrap and components by destroying them with dynamite. Note that some components drop more commonly from Dismantling.
    -Steam-Cloud saving can now be enabled under Options. The first time this is done, character saves will need to be transferred to a new directory. This process is automatic, but may take some time, depending on how many characters you have.
This uses Steam to offer a game browser list, and you can have private games. No battle.net secure server situation, so no doubt a lot of savegame hacking will take place soon.

You can see on the right side of the screen what other players look like. This can at least give you an idea of how players in the game are equipped:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:11:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2014, 04:13:31 AM »

I doubt anyone plays this but I'll set up a game tonight anyway, and pretend it's the gold old days.  icon_smile

I recommend filtering out at least "full" games in the game browser, and that'll make the list easier to look through.

Name: GT Forum game
Password: ronb

I'm using an L12 character, still a bit shy of some waypoints in Act I.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 13, 2014, 04:13:31 AM

I doubt anyone plays this but I'll set up a game tonight anyway, and pretend it's the gold old days.  icon_smile

I recommend filtering out at least "full" games in the game browser, and that'll make the list easier to look through.

Name: GT Forum game
Password: ronb

I'm using an L12 character, still a bit shy of some waypoints in Act I.
That was so popular (not), I'm doing it again this morning. L15 or 16 now.  retard

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »

I don't really want to play the game until it's officially released, though I've been a backer since the very beginning of this game's development.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 13, 2014, 12:56:57 PM

I don't really want to play the game until it's officially released, though I've been a backer since the very beginning of this game's development.

Yeah, same here.  I've been waiting for the finished version before jumping in, especially since releases seem to go in fits and starts.

I guess it doesn't help that I also have Diablo 3 and Marvel Heroes to sate my hunger for action RPG right now. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »

For those of you interested in this, Humble has it for $16.24

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »

Meant to mention, per some dev updates, Arcanist spellcaster class/mastery (fifth and final for release afik; gun-focused Vigilante seems to have been dropped at this point) is up next. While I'm not sure of ETA, I've already started getting Arcanist-specific loot items in game. It should appeal to fans of D3's Wizard and D2's Sorceress. Reading the skills list reminds me of a mix of those, to some extent.

Crafting is in the game too now, I haven't really explored it yet.

Arcanist: Part I
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16199
“To Arcanists, the manifestation of magic is not some unexplainable mystery or the will of the gods, but a science meant to be unraveled. This pursuit of knowledge drives all Arcanists, always eager to discover a new technique to make their namesake. Arcanists warp Aetherial and elemental energy to their will, creating devastating demonstrations of power that rival small armies. However, such raw force leaves little in terms of defense.”

Arcanists are masters of the elements as well as the raw force of magic that forms the mysterious Aether. They manifest this power through anything ranging from trivial weapon enchantments to rays of pure destructive energy. Though Arcanists may have a few tricks up their sleeves to ensure their survival, the primary focus of their spell-work is in obliterating their enemies before they even need to resort to such tactics.
Arcanist: Part II
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16505
=============
While it's pretty stable, I did have a couple crashes during lengthy play sessions Friday and Saturday. I submitted crash reports and brief notes via the reporting utility that's built in.

MP seems pretty stable if you can join a game. Had a really fun PUG game Saturday evening with 4 people. While the people joining said they had good pings connecting to my game, my own frame rate was a bit struggling at times.

The Torment tomb stuff gets pretty crazy and apparently you eventually reach areas where personal rifts (teleports) aren't allowed. So once you die, you can't get back in there, I guess on that particular instance.

I would say one key drawback of the lack of a central bnet-type server (beyond security) is you can't "hand off" hosting of the game. If the host leaves, the game drops and everyone's kicked out. So when I died on the Torment tomb stuff I just chatted with the others and agreed to keep hosting the session until they said they were done.

I'm not sure everyone you meet will be so goody two shoes thoughtful.  icon_smile So if you're doing the Torment type stuff, I would probably make sure the host is committed to sticking around even if he croaks.

I'd estimate right now with Acts 1, 2 and the early part of Smuggler's Trail (some pretty crazy, screen filling size trolls at that point), you can probably get into the mid-upper 20s just doing the content that's there now. And then I guess people are doing the Torment stuff over and over, or just starting Veteran difficulty games.
===========================

btw, I belatedly realized yesterday just how awesome Nightblade mastery blade is. Diablo II Barbarian fans should enjoy its dual wielding-ness but its spinning knives skills/animations are real showstoppers imho, never get tired of watching them.  icon_cool While the Nightblade mastery doesn't have too many defensive buffs you can hybrid to another set for that or else just revel into wading into large groups and eviscerating them.  icon_twisted

http://grimcalc.com/GrimCalc?Class1=Nightblade&Class2=Nope
-No leap attack but Shadow Strike lets you zip quickly to a target. It's sort of a riff on the Soldier's Blitz skill.
-Ring of Steel is awesome for chopping up adjacent targets, and has a cool visual.
-Blade Barrier (similar visual to Ring of Steel but the spinning blades animation stays in place a few secs) is a shield that buys some time if you need a break.

==========
While I love Demolitionist and have been focusing on working all the way up that mastery tree, I do find that when I'm playing with player types that do more straight ahead damage (rather than me tossing grenades and flame emitting traps), sometimes I feel they don't need me around at times.
http://grimcalc.com/GrimCalc?Class1=Demolitionist&Class2=Nope

I got to try the Thermite Mine skill yesterday, which drops a clump of three pyrotechnic charges that shoot sky high vertical jet flames when enemies approach. Some of the enemy AI actually runs away from these things, which may or may not be a good thing in a given situation.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:41:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2014, 08:09:51 PM »

i'm not playing this until it's done either
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: