http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:08:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evoland  (Read 707 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »

There have been lots of retro-style games over the last few years, but here's something I've never seen - a game that changes graphics and gameplay styles as you play.

As you play through Evoland, you’ll begin to unlock new technologies, gameplay systems, and updated graphics. One moment you’ll go from adventuring in Game Boy monochrome pixel graphics, to exploring villages straight out of the Super Nintendo era, to finally the beautifully rendered 3D that looks like it jumped right out of The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on the Nintendo DS.

Here's a preview of the game, currently on Steam Greenlight and scheduled for release in March.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 01:53:42 AM »

That looks neat.  Will be interested to see how well they pull it off.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:13:48 AM »

I really like the concept but wish it wasn't the JRPG-style turn-based combat.  Something more like Zelda would have been awesome.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:43:28 AM »

Here's a Flash version, which I assume is a sort of concept demo:

http://jayisgames.com/games/evoland/
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 03, 2013, 03:13:48 AM

I really like the concept but wish it wasn't the JRPG-style turn-based combat.  Something more like Zelda would have been awesome.

The game has both.  According to the preview "The gameplay itself seems to alternate between the real-time action of a Zelda game, before graduating to the turn-based strategy of the Final Fantasy series: with plenty of dungeon crawling, puzzle solving, and even giant tortoise fighting in between."  It looks like you'll play both the Zelda-style and Final Fantasy style in each era.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »

Based on that flash version, you can skip chests if you want to, so I'm assuming that if you wanted to stay with the Zelda style, you could skip the upgrade. The chests are how you unlock different modes.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 03, 2013, 11:14:40 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 03, 2013, 03:13:48 AM

The game has both.  According to the preview "The gameplay itself seems to alternate between the real-time action of a Zelda game, before graduating to the turn-based strategy of the Final Fantasy series: with plenty of dungeon crawling, puzzle solving, and even giant tortoise fighting in between."  It looks like you'll play both the Zelda-style and Final Fantasy style in each era.

Interesting, I didn't know that.  The problem, though, is that I don't want any Final Fantasy in there, so it's still not for me.   icon_neutral

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:39:30 AM »

The game will be released on Steam on April 4 smile

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:54:50 AM »

The game is available now on GoG for $8.99 and should be available on Steam this afternoon.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 06:27:18 AM »

Yikes, I just read the GT review and I have to say I'm glad I didn't buy this already.  Only 2 hours long, and not even a great 2 hours?   The turn based stuff is even worse than usual?  retard  That's a pass for sure, heh.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »

Ouch.   Not a good review of the game.   Was expecting a lot more than 2 hours.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »

heh, thought I posted about reading about the length on the Steam forums when the game was released.  maybe if they put this in an indie game bundle, or if it hits below 2 bucks....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »

I watched the Giant Bomb first look thing they do for the game.  At least the part they showed gave me flashbacks to DLC Quest.  The difference seemed to be that DLC Quest was playing it all for laughs whereas Evoland seemed to take itself at least moderately more serious. 
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »

Yeah, DLC Quest's humor is a lot more pointed. The gameplay isn't as good, but it's sharper. Evoland? It's like they just said, "Hey, aren't old games great?" and called it a day.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »

Sounds like they should have just lengthened the flash version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: