http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:42:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everquest 2 - first impressions  (Read 16711 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2004, 01:32:29 PM »

Back to report crafting was a success last night!!!!

Thanks to everyone.

That knowledge stuff makes a big difference!

I am very close to making my first Apprentice III Scroll.

I just need a quill pen.  I have made everything else.

Lovin' crafting!!

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2004, 04:04:59 PM »

Be prepared... at lvl 10 there are many recipes that will require collaborating with crafters of other class.  For example as a scholar, to make tier 2 app 3 scout runes I need iron spikes, however scholars can not make these.  Try to make friends with crafters of different types so you can supply them and they you.

The broker has worked fine for me, have yet to see that happen at all.

Until crafting lvl 20 you will find you are using a lot of the abilities on many different apperatus, so it was just easiest to set up 2 hotbars.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2004, 04:39:45 PM »

Arkon -  Am I correct in assuming that when I hit level 10 artisen, I will need to pick a specialization the same way I pick a subclass?  That's what you meant when you said a "scholar" - correct?

Is there a quest for this?

As a Druid, do I NEED to pick a certain artisen specialization because it "fits" - or can I pick any one I wish?  In other words, does the game see that I am a Druid and give me really big bonuses to working with scrolls or cloth armor, or potions, etc...  or can I be equally successful no matter which road I go down?

I have no clue what I want to specialize in!  Making potions seems kind of lame, in that once you use it, it's gone.  Making scrolls to improve spells is something I will use for awhile, until the higher level spell is available.  Making armor and weapons could be cool.  Can I ever get to a point where if I choose to be an armor maker, I can imbue my armor with magical properties?   That sounds like it would be cool too!

I wonder if you could make a name for yourself in the game for being a master cloth armor maker that makes super cool magical robes and stuff?  That would be awesome!  .....  (is that possible)?

Another question:  Let's say I fail on making this scroll the first time?  Will I become "more familiar" with the process the second and third time trying, therefore giving me an increased chance to make the scroll?

Also, are there "levels" of Apprentice III scrolls?  Are there like Crude Scrolls, or Prestine Scrolls, etc...  If "Yes" - does one give the caster even higher bonuses than the other?   I am not sure how that works.

Thanks again.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2004, 05:52:28 PM »

I've never understood why people craft in these games.  It just seems like busy work to me.  What can you do that is so cool in EQ2?  I guess I'm asking kind of the same thing Lockdown is, what can you do that is cool in the system?

Any really good sites with screenshots?  I'd love to see what the Paladin looks like on a horse, or the Fury and Warden's transformation spells.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2004, 06:28:05 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Arkon -  Am I correct in assuming that when I hit level 10 artisen, I will need to pick a specialization the same way I pick a subclass?  That's what you meant when you said a "scholar" - correct?

Is there a quest for this? You will hit a limit when you reach level 9 until you talk to the person who advances you

As a Druid, do I NEED to pick a certain artisen specialization because it "fits" - or can I pick any one I wish?  In other words, does the game see that I am a Druid and give me really big bonuses to working with scrolls or cloth armor, or potions, etc...  or can I be equally successful no matter which road I go down? It is not supposed to be limited to the archtype...there are fighters planning on being sages and clerics being armorers.  You should be fine.

I have no clue what I want to specialize in!  Making potions seems kind of lame, in that once you use it, it's gone.  Making scrolls to improve spells is something I will use for awhile, until the higher level spell is available.  Making armor and weapons could be cool.  Can I ever get to a point where if I choose to be an armor maker, I can imbue my armor with magical properties?   That sounds like it would be cool too!

I wonder if you could make a name for yourself in the game for being a master cloth armor maker that makes super cool magical robes and stuff?  That would be awesome!  .....  (is that possible)? No idea but it may show up on eq2players.com if nothing else.  And there is a status points system and advanced creation guilds and rewards already in place.

Another question:  Let's say I fail on making this scroll the first time?  Will I become "more familiar" with the process the second and third time trying, therefore giving me an increased chance to make the scroll? If it fails then you only lose the fuel and not the components (at least I didn't).  I wouldn't worry, I made 3 app3 spells last night and got through all of them with no problems.  Make sure to read the crafting FAQ I posted in the tips and hints topic for answers to just about everything crafting you will need.

Also, are there "levels" of Apprentice III scrolls?  Are there like Crude Scrolls, or Prestine Scrolls, etc...  If "Yes" - does one give the caster even higher bonuses than the other?   I am not sure how that works.There are levels but as of right now it makes no difference.  It's the same scroll and sells for the same if it's crude or pristene and uses the same power.

Thanks again.

LD
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2004, 06:32:45 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I've never understood why people craft in these games.  It just seems like busy work to me.  What can you do that is so cool in EQ2?  I guess I'm asking kind of the same thing Lockdown is, what can you do that is cool in the system?

Any really good sites with screenshots?  I'd love to see what the Paladin looks like on a horse, or the Fury and Warden's transformation spells.

I'm crafting because it's cheaper for me as a sorcerer to make my own spells.  Total cost to make my first three app3 spells was around 8 silver and that included the one time cost of buying the recipe books.  Compare that to 5 silver a spell if you purchase it.  And now I can also make backpacks, bags and chests in addition to other items to sell for profit.  All in a couple hours of playtime.

Role playing wise it made sense to.  I truly appreciate those spells because I gathered the subcomponents, made the components and then used those to actually create the spell.  I really worked to earn the more powerful spells I now use every day.  It seems right for a magic user to research and create their own spells smile
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2004, 02:35:38 PM »

Do we ever get differrent apartments or houses, or are we stuck in the original one in the starting subarb?  What useful furnishings have people found?   I bought the bulliten board so that I can browse crafter stuff (cool system).  I need to figure out how to get a broker to easily buy stuff from it though.  Of course, with all the apartments in one spot per subarb, it is easy to go buy stuff.

---
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2004, 02:52:38 PM »

Houses are available all over the city, very expensive tho... a friend has a 5 room apartment currently, cost alot of gold just to buy.  You can not get a broker in your apartment, the bulletin board is designed for selling from your house.  In freeport there is a furniture vendor that sells some really nice stuff... and soon I will be the proud owner of my own chemistry table and work bench.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2004, 03:25:25 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Houses are available all over the city, very expensive tho... a friend has a 5 room apartment currently, cost alot of gold just to buy.  You can not get a broker in your apartment, the bulletin board is designed for selling from your house.  In freeport there is a furniture vendor that sells some really nice stuff... and soon I will be the proud owner of my own chemistry table and work bench.

Are you saying you will be able to craft from inside your own apartment?

If so - that is pretty darn cool!

Also, regarding the bulletin board... can I browse AND buy from there, or is it just for putting my own stuff up for sale?  I don't exactly get it.  (what's new!!??!!)

LD

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2004, 04:17:56 PM »

Aye I will be able to craft, just have to make sure I have my fuels and so on.  The bulletin Board is used to put stuff up for sale, as long as you remain in your home.  You can browse the market (useful for determining what to price your goods at) but not buy from your home.  Sometime jump on to Antonia Bayle and get a char to freeport, I can offer lots of help and to the mature folks I am in a great guild full of adults.

http://guildpestilence.com/index.htm
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2004, 07:55:47 PM »

Alot of the guide sites have multiple spells listed at level 13 for the enchanter.  One is a mez one is invis.  i could really use these spells but have no idea where to get them.  they did not come automaticly like my other spell have in the past.  I was wondering if anyone knows anything about that?

AttA
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2004, 08:07:01 PM »

Not all spells/abilities are given right at level up.  A lvl 13 ability/spell could be gained actually at 13.5 and so on.  Once you hit 14 however you will have all your lvl 13 spells.

biggrin
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2004, 08:27:27 PM »

Actually just to nip any confusion in the bud 13.5 is acutally 14 smile The decimal refers to the number of yellow bubbles x2 -- in other words, 20% of a level (a "miniding"). As a druid I get SoW at 13.4 -- 80% of the way through level 13.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2004, 08:37:19 PM »

Quote from: "zinckiwi"
Actually just to nip any confusion in the bud 13.5 is acutally 14 smile The decimal refers to the number of yellow bubbles x2 -- in other words, 20% of a level (a "miniding"). As a druid I get SoW at 13.4 -- 80% of the way through level 13.

O.K.   Now that one just flew    :shock:   right over my head.

Are you saying there are 4 mini-dings... and then a Level-Ding?  ...And that the .1 really means 13 and 1 mini-ding which is translated on the websites as 13.1 ?

LD

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2004, 09:52:51 PM »

There seem to be way to many priests on my server, has anyone noticed anything similar?  Which classes seem to be dominate?

---
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2004, 10:03:22 PM »

Antonia Bayle is hurting for healers at least on the freeport side.  I don't know distribution but I would say there are a ton of summoners and crusaders, quite a few scouts and then the poor healers heh.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2004, 10:07:22 PM »

Okay, I'll try to explain a little better smile Let's say you're on level 13. Your yellow exp bar is subdivided into ten "bubbles", each representing 10% of the total experience needed to get level 14.

Gaining a new level is a "ding". When you fill an even-numbered yellow bubble, you "miniding", which fills your health and power. In other words, if you're newly level 13 and out fighting, it goes like this:

start with an empty exp bar (you are now 13)
get two yellow bubbles, miniding (you are now 13.1)
get two more yellow bubbles (four total), miniding (you are now 13.2)
get two more yellow bubbles (six total), miniding (you are now 13.3)
get two more yellow bubbles (eight total), miniding (you are now 13.4)
get two more yellow bubbles (bar resets to empty), ding (you are now 14)

So if you get a spell at "13.3", you get it when you hit six yellow bubbles (i.e. 60%) into level 13.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2004, 10:11:27 PM »

That language is all subjective.. I have seen equally as many sites that use 13.1-13.9 to represent the number of bubbles in.  Saying 13.5 means you are 50% of the way through 13.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2004, 10:25:27 PM »

Subjective, granted -- but for the purposes of spell acquisition, as I understand it, the "miniding" numbering was used by the devs in beta and it's what I've seen in popular use. YMMV.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2004, 10:45:48 PM »

Where can you "practice" your harvesting skills once you leave the Island. I have explored the Antonica zone outside the city pretty extensively and every resource node I have come across says I do not have enough skill to harvest anything from it. I noticed there are 3 areas inside the city(Qeynos), Oakmyst Forest, The Caves and The Peat Bog that sometimes have resource nodes pop up but these are so heavily camped its doesnt seem a viable place to "grind" your harvesting levels.
Any suggestions?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2004, 12:56:57 PM »

Quote from: "Abaddon"
Where can you "practice" your harvesting skills once you leave the Island.  I noticed there are 3 areas inside the city(Qeynos), Oakmyst Forest, The Caves and The Peat Bog that sometimes have resource nodes pop up...
Any suggestions?

Those are the areas I use... and I just hope I get lucky.  Any better suggestions would be great, but I am thinking there aren't any.   frown

LD

LD

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2004, 01:07:26 PM »

Quote from: "Abaddon"
Where can you "practice" your harvesting skills once you leave the Island. I have explored the Antonica zone outside the city pretty extensively and every resource node I have come across says I do not have enough skill to harvest anything from it. I noticed there are 3 areas inside the city(Qeynos), Oakmyst Forest, The Caves and The Peat Bog that sometimes have resource nodes pop up but these are so heavily camped its doesnt seem a viable place to "grind" your harvesting levels.
Any suggestions?

It's hard and a major complaint on the official boards.  It got so bad I started a new character and I'm doing all my harvesting grind on the starter island where there is next to no competition.  The only drawback is your artisan lvl is capped at 9 and harvesting skills are capped at 35 on the starter island (and there are no places to trap).  Still it's a lot nicer starting at 35 in the city instead of 15.  A side benefit of this is some of the drops (just about any named monster on the island and certain arrow up mobs) included more advanced artisan books.  I got a level 6 Escutcheon artisan book this morning which is a mob drop only book.  Oh well, I probably have one more night of grinding to get everything up on the starter island and then go on to the city...by that point I'll be lvl 6 at 220% (jump to 8 after the citizen quest) and lvl 9 artisan ready to pick my first real specialty.

As for the drops outside the city...the min harvesting skill is 40 except for gathering which is 50.  I've posted a topic in the hints and help thread that includes what you get from each node and where to get each item (the 4 main areas in the good city).  This includes the Peat Bog, Caves, Forest Ruins and Oakmyst Forest.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2004, 04:05:58 PM »

I just picked the game up over the weekend and am just getting started.  So far, i really like the voice acting and the realism of the characters.  I'm looking forward to spending a lot fo time playing this over the holidays.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: