http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 04:48:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everquest 2 - first impressions  (Read 15935 times)
skystride
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2004, 03:47:03 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"
Having a hard time finding quest NPC's?

Just ask your local guard!  Easy as that.  

Very nice tip morlac.   So many undocumented features in the game, we probably need a "tips" thread.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2004, 04:03:33 PM »

Actully I believe that one was in the manual.  Just not a whole lot else.

morlac00 on PSN
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2004, 07:06:21 PM »

Im back after a day and a half excursion into EQ2. smile

First off, let me say I spent some more time with the options and found solutions to a couple of my earlier gripes like the Letter Box(have it completely removed now), Self targeting(found the check box), Group window(Do'h! had it scrunched to small). Fixing these things did enhance my playing experience a bit.

Originally my friends and I started on Antonia Bayle since it was the RP server, we are not big into RP but our personal experience from other MMO's is you tend to find a bit more mature crowd here. Unfortunately within about 8 hours the server was so overcrowded it hit the "FULL" status. This was severely reflected in game with atrocious amounts of lag, chop and crashes. We had only gotten to level 8 at the time so we decided to switch servers, we are now on Nektulos.

Running through the newbie Island again was, as you would think, alot easier. We just blasted through the quests that rewarded items and managed to hit level 6 in a little under 3 hours. Since I already posted pretty EXTENSIVELY on this I wont go back over it.

After leaving newbie Island our party was unfortunately split up since we were playing different races and were sent to seperate starter zones. This was a minor annoyance and only took about 10 minutes for us to hook back up but still would have been nice to be able to stay together, especially if you actually make some new friends on the Island.
I found the lag in Graystone(my starting area) to be better on the new server but still marginally tolerable. As someone else posted once you get into the subzones or out into the "wilderness" its not as bad but even in the less populated areas I find the game just doesnt run as smooth as WoW does, or did since too be fair I've read WoW is having alot of severe lag issues at the moment but then again they are reporting over 500,000 open beta signups.  When my Tauren was running through the barrens It was very smooth and immersive with his loping gait. In EQ2 I feel like im "pushing" my character around if that makes any sense.

So my friends and I hook back up and starting roaming around town collecting quests, checking out our new digs, and eventually getting our Citizenship Task. The starter quests are pretty standard fair, collect this, kill that and doing them in our little group was pretty fun. Eventually we all gain Citizenship to Qeynos and move on to the new areas which then open up. Now at this point I have to say the zoning was becoming another annoyance. The quests you collect tend to send you to alot of different zones and each time you have to go through the zone process. Now this is another one of those issues that had I never played WoW I probably would have simply excepted but after playing in WoW's almost completely seamless world the whole zoning in EQ2 stood out in stark contrast.

So our little group is back up to level 8ish after about 6 or 7 hours of play and my friends logoff to run various errands or appease scowling spouses and I am left to solo for awhile. Now I wont say that soloing in this game is impossible but its about as close as you can get. At this point I have about 25 quests in my log and about 15 of them are "kill X number of Y mob" quests. I attempted about 8 or 9 of them with my 8th level Dwarf Priest and simply could not solo the mobs. 9 times out 10 the mobs are grouped in 2's and 3's. The 2 pulls were not all impossible but required me to mana burn every fight and incurred long downtimes so that they were not worth the effort. The 3 pulls were simply too tough. Now if you are extremely patient and take the time to wait around you will occasionally get a mob to spawn that is not linked to any others. Again this happens so infrequently that trying to wait for 10 of these to spawn is not worth the effort. Not to mention that about 70% of the time when a single spawns its a "double up arrow" mob meaning even thought it SEEMS to con green its actually about 3 or 4 levels higher. The end result was I was forced to run the 4 or 5 "Fedex" quests I had(more zoning) and then logoff and wait for my friends to return.  Oh and I tryed grouping but apparently Level 8ish Priests are in a hugh abundance since I could not find a single pickup group after about 15 minutes of "Level 8 Priest LFG".

Finally one of my friends called and the two of us logged back in and began our "Class Progression" quest. Luckily we were both priests and were being assigned the same tasks to complete because the series of quests to go from Priest to either Cleric, Druid or Shaman took us about 2 hours to complete. Now that doesnt sound to bad but what if you have a Scout, a Priest, a Mage and a Fighter in your group? Your looking at close to 2 hours for each person to get to the next Tier frown. After completeing the whole series of quests, think there were 6, I finally became a Shaman. Woohoo!! Ok not really woohoo since this was fairly anti-climatic. I popped level 10 at the same time I turned in my final quest, the Hierophant bestowed a new title on me and I got one new spell and the ability to use a few new weapons. Not really sure what I was expecting but it was still somewhat dissapointing <shrug>.

I logged in for one more session after that in order to help another friend get to level 9 so he can start his Mage class quest. By the time he leveled up it was too late for him to start doing the quest so he logged off. I ran around for a bit more and managed to get to level 11. At this point my quest log, which by the way the not being able to share quests is now becoming a larger issue as we spent a good 30 minutes or more just running back to all the quest givers I had spoken too just to catch my friend up so we had similiar quests since neither of us could solo them anyway, is half full with quests that will take at a minimum a group of 4 to complete, have to say SOE is REALLY shoving the "group" concept down the players throats here. Now I am luckier then most since I have a few friends to group with but I still enjoy the occasional solo time to just jump in and run a few quests, kill some mobs etc. and thats something that WoW offers in spades.

Overall the game is not terrible and if it were only up against the existing games i.e. DAOC, AC2, AO, COH I think I would be more inclined to pursue it. However its impossible to look at EQ2 without comparing it to the other big release WoW or vice versa. At this point in time I am pretty far into the WoW camp, which is probably pretty obvious from the tone of my post. I will continue to play EQ2 until the 23rd when WoW releases to try and get a better feel for the game but its just not doing it for me right now. WoW was fun with a capital F right from the git go, EQ2 feels like too much work right now. Leveling is faster then EQ1 but slower then DAOC and significantly slower then WoW. This would not be as big an issue to me except the fact I want to play a Mystic, well really I want to play a Shaman but SOE made them into Mystics, and I have 9 more levels to go before I get to that point. If I play hard I would say it will most likely take me a week or so to become a Mystic. In WoW when I roll a Shaman I feel like a shaman by level 6 or 7, roll a rogue by level 5 your stealthing around backstabbing stuff, roll a mage .... etc. etc. Im also a notorious "Alt" guy. I currently have about 10 characters in WoW and I actively play 4 of them. DAOC same thing, COH dont even get me started. EQ2 a)only allows for 4 characters per account and b)I dont see myself trudging up to 20th level just to check out a new class.

Again EQ2 is not a terrible game and once they work out some of the technical issue, did I mention the servers all seem to crash several times a day, it will most likely appeal to alot of folks but for me it falls short in comparison to its competion at the moment.  It may be the fact that over the years and multitude of games we are starting to become jaded but one of my friends said to me last night "You know, EQ1 was way more fun then EQ2" and I had to agree.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2004, 07:20:22 PM »

That is a bit discouraging that you have to group to do a lot.  WoW is so easy to just solo at times.  I get the feeling though in WoW that you don't need to group ever, or just for a few tasks then disband.  WoW seems like it could be more solitary.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2004, 07:41:34 PM »

It is actually encouraging to hear that you and I feel the same way regarding the "forced to group" thing.  I feel exactly the same way.

Now, to all those that have the attitude of: "Hey guys, it's a MMORPG, by very definition you should be grouping!" ...  I hear you loud and clear.  And to an extent, I agree with you.  Grouping is certainly where it's at.  No arguments from me there.  However, wouldn't it be nice if they made the game so that the option to solo was a bit more viable?  Maybe cause Abaddon and I are playing Priests, it is more difficult for us... I may buy that.  But I'm still not sold on that excuse.  I said to my Priest partner last night, "How do people solo in this game if they can't heal themselves!!"  He agreed with me.  

Anyway, I certainly don't want to rag on what I think is a great game... but to inform you guys who are trying to make a decision, you should know that soloing can be (quite) frustrating.  Even going with just two if you aren't a good compliment for each other could be a bit of trouble.  Just an FYI from someone who is only at 8th.  I can't imagine what it's like at 20th.  You have heard many, many times that a MMORPG experience is only as good as the groups you are with, right?  Well, EQ2 takes that "theory", and nearly makes it "law".

To give the game some props though, since we have been a bit negative lately in this thread...  I believe this is a great game for roleplayers.  The look of the game, the NPC's voiceovers, the ambient sounds, the way the towns feel alive, the generous amounts of very well done emotes, the character creation customization, etc.   All these things make for a very nice roleplaying experience, imo.  Very nice.

Hoping this thread is helping those of you still trying to make a decision.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2004, 07:53:23 PM »

While not optimal, I have no problem soloing as a scout, just have to know what to hunt.  Youhave to be careful picking targets and where to fight to avoid adds.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2004, 08:25:45 PM »

If you want to solo, be sure you're engaging in encounters deemed as "Solo."  Solo-tagged mobs have lowered stats and thus are easier to kill alone, but they give out less EXP (which is not noticable as you're not splitting that EXP with anyone like you would in a group).  Group-tagged mobs are much heartier, but give out more EXP and give a final EXP bonus if you complete the entire encounter.

It's very possible to take on two "solo" cons at once.  It's much harder to take on more than one "group" con at once.

If you're familiar with WoW at all, "Group" mobs are basically "Elites," while "Solo" mobs are regulars.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2004, 09:08:00 PM »

I'm a scout and I haven't had too much trouble soloing.  There are a number of good spots at that level, but as Ebon said above, make sure you know that the encounter is for solo before you get started.  The group ones are VERY HARD, and impossible alone unless it is much weaker than you.  My friend is a priest and he also has been fine soloing.  Good spots at the beginning in Qeynos at least is the Forest Ruin, which also has some decent drops.  The quests are also very useful because you can get decent starter items from doing them.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2004, 09:19:47 PM »

LE and Fez -

What you are saying is obvious.

My point (or maybe question is a better term) has nothing to do with finding "spots" to hunt.  I could give a flying turd about "spots".

Our point is in doing quests, there are numerous times when they can not be accomplished solo due to the nature of the monster spawns.

If there is a way around this, I need to be educated, and am all ears.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2004, 09:41:41 PM »

I've been solo the past few days (except for one quest that was optional) and have had no problems.  I did have to group to kill the orc chief but everything else has been solo as a mage.  I haven't even had to wait for respawns to complete the beginning quests which is something I can not say for WoW.  It may be that I'm on a light server and not a medium or heavy load but it is possible at least early on.

I'd like to add that I'm loving it so far.  I appeciate the art and direction WoW took but really love the EQ world.  Given the choice between the two I picked EQ2 and I'm glad I did (hopefully I'll say the same thing 3 months from now).
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2004, 09:59:13 PM »

I think any class can easily solo to level up in EQ2.  It's just the uber items that requires groups and raids.  You are not required to complete every quest you take.  That's one of the things I don't like about the Quest system.  I wish quests also had "cons".
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2004, 10:27:18 PM »

I've not had too much trouble soloing as a scout as long as I pick solo targets.

This is at lvl 10.

I am finishing off some quests I got from lvls 7 to 9, and the kills get easier every lvl gained.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2004, 10:38:55 PM »

It all depends on the quests and I can only speak for quests in freeport.  But that said at lvl 16 I have yet to encounter a quest I could not solo, however that does not mean I was able to d the quest solo at the level I got it.  If you can't solo a quest, go out and do something else for a level or two and come back.  Also sometimes you have to look around as for example take Orc Pawns in commonlands... 90% of them or grouped up but there are solo wandering pawns that can be found in another area of the zone that are the same level.  Also if stuff is grouped, you can often find groups where the mobs all have down arrows which make them very easy to kill.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2004, 10:39:50 PM »

Quote from: "skystride"
I think any class can easily solo to level up in EQ2.  It's just the uber items that requires groups and raids.  You are not required to complete every quest you take.  That's one of the things I don't like about the Quest system.  I wish quests also had "cons".
They do have "cons," they just don't say if they require a group or not.  Quite frakly, I wish they would, but eh.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
kerdevez
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2004, 06:23:18 PM »

Ive finally got the game yesterday and got to play 6 hours.

I did solo most of the time, but needed a group to complete the orc chief quest, but it was mentionned you would need a group to do that quest. But anyway, why would you play a mmorpg if you never group with other people?

Im having quite some fun since the beginning, much more than Wow. I was feeling like i was guided way to much in Wow, gets to simple. I just hope it will still be fun in the next weeks.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2004, 07:45:29 PM »

Im having quite some fun since the beginning, much more than Wow. I was feeling like i was guided way to much in Wow, gets to simple. I just hope it will still be fun in the next weeks.

After playing more EQ2, I liked some of the guidance in WoW.  I'm currently in Qeynos, and have my quest to move to a crusader.  I have to find the caves to kill some spiders.  Of course, I have no idea where the caves are or how to get to them.  I'd like a bit more guidance.  

My feeling so far is that EQ2 is very much like EQ1, with some tweaks to make it easier, and far more generic characters.  At least that is my impression currently.

WoW seems to have more friendly tweaks, a far superior quest system, and more diverse classes.  I'll play more and see, but WoW just seems more refined at the moment to me.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2004, 12:05:38 AM »

I have to find the caves to kill some spiders

I found my caves.  Apparently I had to figure out to go to the docs, ring a bell, select caves from a list, and then get magically dropped into the caves.  Without looking at the EQ boards, how was I supposed to figure out that I had to get to the caves from a doc in Qeynos?  Doesn't make sense, I wonder how many other odd things like this there are in EQ2?

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2004, 02:43:25 AM »

Soloing is becoming easier - I just needed to give it more time.  Not to mention needing more patience with what monsters to attack.

Therefore, I stand corrected from my earlier post.  My apologies.

Thanks for the help guys.

I like the game alot.  The caves thing Scott struggled with was solved by my group (who was also puzzled by it) by asking other players in-game.  If it weren't for them, we would have been looking for quite awhile, I am sure.

The thing that bugs me now about the game is what another poster said earlier - In WoW, you "feel" like a unique class from level 1.  In EQ2, it takes until level 10 until you feel some level of uniqueness due to the "branching tree" subclass system.  It's just different.

Overall though, I still think it's great fun.

LD

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2004, 05:57:33 AM »

In EQ2, it takes until level 10 until you feel some level of uniqueness due to the "branching tree" subclass system. It's just different.

I finally got to level 10 and my Crusader.  I got a slight armor upgrade, and one new abililty.  Beyond that, I'm still just a fighter really.  

I had some fun hunting in a forest, the plains, and then the bogs.  The environments really are different and can look great in EQ2.  Combat when you figure out the heroic opportunities and use them with groups is fun.  Grouping is also fairly well done, and enjoyable.  

Still though, at times EQ 2 feels more like work then it should.  Way to much running around.  It looks like there will be to much downtime down the road too.  Soloing is slow.

If you like grouping, EQ2 looks good, as you really have to.  

So far:

pros:
- nice graphics and good different environments.  the more i play, the more i'm impressed.  however, the graphics eat my system alive, especially in combat with a group in dense areas.  if i turn down the graphics, then they become much less impressive fast
- i like the group dynamics.  i can't compare them to WoW, as I haven't played a lot of groups in WoW
- people seem friendly and helpful, at least on the RP server, i can see a great sense of community coming from this

cons:
- slow...  running, fighting, everything seems slow compared to WoW
- 2 out of 3 people I meet are just waiting for WoW, and not wanting to spoil to much of it in the beta
- no class / player distinction.  everyone looks the same, everyone fights the same, and no real excitement when you do get to the next class
- quests can be really confusing, with no help on how to get from one place to another
- quests don't make sense.  go to a cave from the docs?  a prisoner in a house with one of the top knights in Qeynos on its balcony?
- not as easy to solo as WoW, but possible
- to much downtime

Anyway, just more impressions so far.  My other thought on EQ 2 is what is the end game?  WoW has PvP in addition to PVE, that really mixes up WoW.  What will EQ2 have to offer?

---
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2004, 09:22:57 AM »

I just hit 14 with my Crusader and I'm much different than a Warrior of my level.  I can enchant my weapon, use a DD, use a PBAOE, a Shield "Bash" and a 'Holy Strike' style of bonus attack.

I'm finding downtime to be pretty in line with WoW--there isn't much at all.  After a long fight, there'll be a couple minutes rest to get mana back, but that's how it was in WoW too.

EQ2 rewards grouping much more than WoW does, which is nice.  Group-level encounters have a healthy EXP bonus attached to them, and there's a bonus for grouping added, so really, you'll level pretty damn fast if you group.  Soloing is much slower in comparison, unless you can routinely kill mobs of higher level (maybe Necromancers can?)  Of course, every class has a use in a group, so it's a rare thing to be denied a spot.

The only gripe I have with EQ2 is the memory leak or caching problem in in that makes the game VERY slow after a few zonings.

It--gasp!--requires group tactics in combat, as opposed to WoW's gangbang lightshow of DPS.  So far I have put only a SINGLE person on ignore--my WoW beta account had over 50 squelched.  Classes seem balanced and uniformly useful--imagine that.  Quests--both the sources you acquire them from and the actual workings of them--are varied and exciting, though the EXP reward could be better.  Leveling time so far seems IDENTICAL to WoW.  Since I became a citizen of Freeport (only took a day of play and put me at level 7), I've been gaining roughly a level a day, which is exactly how fast I was advancing in WoW.

And when I say "day," I don't mean 24 hours--more like, 4-6.  Sometimes 8.  College is flexible like that.   smile

Really the only difference in leveling Ive seen between WoW and EQ2 is the fact that I leveled in WoW mostly solo, while EQ2 I'm leveling mostly grouped.  It would take much longer doing all of EQ2 solo, but the same could be said about WoW:  it'd take much longer doing all of it grouped, as non-elite mob experience in WoW is simply divided evenly without a bonus or anything.

Quite frankly, I'm enjoying EQ2 quite a bit more than I enjoyed WoW.  While that's due in part to the fact that I'm totally unfamiliar with WoW's story and quite familiar with EQ1's story and world, it's also due to the fact that I just find EQ2 to be superior and more satisfying than WoW in every way.  Sure, food/drink items that sped hp/mana regeneration would be nice, but who knows, they might exist at a culinary crafting level not reached yet.

EQ2 seems to be headed in the right direction.  WoW seems to be headed in the wrong one.  Time will of course tell, but my money's (literally) on EQ2.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2004, 11:53:34 AM »

The only gripe I have with EQ2 is the memory leak or caching problem in in that makes the game VERY slow after a few zonings

I have noticed this to, got so bad yeasterday I had to hardboot my machine. But im having a great time.

Scott
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2004, 01:45:44 PM »

Well, I love EQ2.  Consider wow beta uninstalled. :lol:
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2004, 06:12:33 PM »

Doh!  Triple post....Doh!
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2004, 06:12:52 PM »

** Double Post **
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2004, 06:13:16 PM »

I like EQ2 but right now I am swaying towards WoW.  EQ2 has better graphics but WoW seems to have more content and is much easier to get into if you have played other MMORPGs.

It's also much more difficult to solo in EQ2 if you are not doing fedex quests.  Getting a group is great if you can find one but if you are only on for an hour or so it's not always an option.

Still playing and still impressed with many things in EQ2.  I will know in a couple weeks.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2004, 06:13:06 AM »

Getting a group...

One thing that really annoys me with this... people whine because it is so tough to find a group... so when I see someone whining, I look in hte lfg screen... guess what you have 15 people all whining they are looking for a group and can't find one... yet none of them think to start a group.  Quite often if you ooc lfg and can't find one, just start one it is very easy.  Even a Duo will gain xp much faster than solo.  

Soloing can be fast, if you are smart with what you hunt.  For example find green con mobs that you can mow through, especially if they are grouped but no arrows.  The group xp bonus adds up real fast.
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2004, 12:47:21 PM »

I have been playing EQ2 since the 2nd day of release.  I'm going to do the Cons first even though I really like the game since they aren't killers, except that the first one has to be fixed...NOW.

Cons:
The brokers (aka auction house) isn't working.
The graphics are nice, but still seem a little drab.
Yeah, there is some type of memory leak thing right now causing some significant slowdown (especially since it seems to be caused by zoning, which the early quests cause you to do maddingly often)
There are a lot of things that just don't seem intuitive at first.

Pros:
I'm at level 13 and still having a lot of fun fighting 95% solo
The world does seem very alive.  A lot of NPCs move, the special houses for players can actually be "toured", pretty sweet.
The crafting system rocks.  I was a terrible crafter the first couple days until I realized you could use "knowledge" to improve crafting.  Basically they have turned crafting from a very passive activity to a somewhat active one.  There are things I don't like about the crafting system, but fixing the brokers would probably fix a bunch of them.  I think  that crating is one of my favorite parts of the game right now.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2004, 02:30:45 PM »

Speaking of crafting:

I would love for someone to either write up (here on CG) or link me to a site that can explain "Crafting for Morons"  - which I obviously am.

I have heard numerous times you can use knowledge to help you craft, but I don't get it.  I am 8th level right now.  Is it too early to use knowledge to craft, or am I just a complete retard?  

Any really basic help would be great.  I am fine right up until the point when I hit "create", and my little Wood Elf starts her crafting.  Then, all hell breaks loose as these little icons pop up on the bottom of the screen saying stuff like, "mismeasurement, knot, imbalance, etc..."  and I sit there at my computer helpless, cause I don't know what to do.   :cry:

Much Thanks,

LD

LD

VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2004, 04:38:09 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Speaking of crafting:

I am fine right up until the point when I hit "create", and my little Wood Elf starts her crafting.  Then, all hell breaks loose as these little icons pop up on the bottom of the screen saying stuff like, "mismeasurement, knot, imbalance, etc..."  and I sit there at my computer helpless, cause I don't know what to do.   :cry:

Much Thanks,

LD

Hit the 'K' button to pull up your knowledge book, then click the tab that says "tradeskills". You'll see a bunch of icons ... stuff like Theory, Measurement, etc.

Keep that open, then hit "Create" to make your item. When you see one of those icons flash, for example, "Major Mismeasurement," click the corresponding icon in your knowledge book (in this case it would be Measurement).

It's like Simon Says...you don't really have to know that Measurement counters the effects of a Major Mismeasurement...just click the icon that looks like the icon yoiu see appear in your crafting progress window.
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2004, 04:46:33 PM »

Speaking of crafting:

I would love for someone to either write up (here on CG) or link me to a site that can explain "Crafting for Morons"  - which I obviously am.

I have heard numerous times you can use knowledge to help you craft, but I don't get it.  I am 8th level right now.  Is it too early to use knowledge to craft, or am I just a complete retard?  

Any really basic help would be great.  I am fine right up until the point when I hit "create", and my little Wood Elf starts her crafting.  Then, all hell breaks loose as these little icons pop up on the bottom of the screen saying stuff like, "mismeasurement, knot, imbalance, etc..."  and I sit there at my computer helpless, cause I don't know what to do.   :cry:

Much Thanks,

LD

hehe, yeah, I know, the system is not intuitive because it is SO different.  The object was to turn crafting from passive to at least somewhat active.  Let me give the rundown:

Bring up the EQ2 Menu (bottom left button) and pick knowledge.  There you will probably see your combat and spell knowledge.  Skip those, pick the tradeskills button that is right next to them.
Now your thinking "Whoa, what are these?"  This is the part they goofed up, they all have long names and descriptions...not intuitive at all.  Concentrate on the picture.  Yeah, sounds goofy doesn't it.  Okay, lets put it into practice.  I'm going to tell you how I do it.
I open up the "quickbar" to one that is mostly empty (I use 9&0) then I start crafting.  You'll notice that little pictures spring up along the way.  Now refer to your tradeskill knowledge.  Hey, the pictures match up (careful, though, some of them look a little similar).  Pull the matching picture into the quickbar.  There may be several you have to pull down and the type of crafting your doing will affect which ones you get.  The common theme is that there are about 4 common, 2 uncommon and 1 rare picture per crafting station.  After you get them down to your quickbar, whenever one of those pictures pops up...push the icon.  The picture in the crafting box will disappear.  Basically its saying that you used that knowledge to counter the problem.   You'll be amazed how much better you are at crafting now.
The whole system is supposed to be a spell/counter-spell combat-type representation.  Literally crafting is combatting imperfections in the material and construction to make pristine items.  I like the system in the fact that its going to KILL crafting bots.  I also like that even at low levels you can make expensive stuff (selling it is another issue) out of relatively easy to get materials with some practice and being attentive.  
Good luck, I am by no means an expert, but I am having a ball crafting stuff.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2004, 04:50:07 PM »

Thank you!

I think even I can do that.

Will it cast a little "spell" or something to let me know I got it in time?

Will I notice the integrity, or whatever its called, of my object not break down so fast if I do this simon says thing in time?

I am assuming I have a few seconds to hit the correct icon, then I lose my chance, is that correct?

Thanks again.

LD

LD

RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2004, 05:05:58 PM »

Thank you!

I think even I can do that.

Will it cast a little "spell" or something to let me know I got it in time?

Yes, although some spell effects are (alot) less notable than others

Will I notice the integrity, or whatever its called, of my object not break down so fast if I do this simon says thing in time?

Absolutely on medium items and especially on easy items, hard items still seem...hard, but still a lot better than they would have been without doing anything, also, you will stop taking damage with mistakes (the forge almost killed me once, CALL OSHA) smile

I am assuming I have a few seconds to hit the correct icon, then I lose my chance, is that correct?

Exactly, you get good at it after a little bit, I use the number keys to speed up my time.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2004, 06:11:56 PM »

What exactly is broken with the brokers?  I use it all the time.

Crafting... let me see if I can explain this properly..

In addition to what has been said...there are predetermined outcomes which include... -10,50 (default outcome), -50,0 (bad failure), -100,0 (critical failure very rare), 0, 50 (good success), 0,100 critical success.  Now the first number is durability, second number is progress.  Each round can come up one of these results.  Your hotkeys modify these results.  While you can play the wait and respond game you can also use your "spells" to affect the progress.  What you should do is start to craft.  Use one of your skills even if there is no icon being shown.  Make note of what the skill does.  For example I have a skill for alchemy that gives me a bonus of +10, -20.  What this does is on a default round give me 0, 30.  So I gain progress with no loss in durability.  If you look at your skill in your "k"nowledge book it will give  you a description of what it does.  Basically each round of crafting I am using at least one skill.  I will often use more than one.. they do stack.  So if I get a bit low on durability I will use a combination of skills that give me +10, 0 and +25, +15 to give me a round result of +25, +45.  Experiment with your abilities but use them all the time, not just to react.  Also  Your durability can go over 100% so lets say my first three rounds I gain 75 total durability, but the next round I lose 50 I would see no change as I am over 100%.

I will try to pop in and answer more questions when I can.  Or look me up as Graul on Antonia Bayle.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2004, 06:48:14 PM »

Well, my character impressions after a long 4 day playing period:

Mage - my favorite by far.  I love the various spells and the robes stand out in the multitude of beginning armors.  The hallmark quest was very easy and I finished it in around an hour to become a sorcerer.  No groups required except for the optional orc chief quest in the beginning island.  Judging from the damage listing on eq2players there are some powerful spells (400+ damage in one hit).    

Priest - my primary backup and second favorite class.  I found it easy to solo except for 1 place...the hallmark quest.  The fairy part of the hallmark quest requires a group unless you want your ass handed to you.  I got through it grouped with another priest and a fighter with no problems.  Much in demand because of the healing and res. features.  Currently a shaman and getting some decent powers.

Fighter - getting ready to delete him...it's boring to me and just not as much fun.  He's a real tank and does a lot of damage but it's just not for me.

Scout - also fun.  I like playing the scout (and hope to get to ranger) but I'm worried about the time investment.  I'm concentrating on the priest and mage for now.  There are rumors that the hallmark quest is bugged or much harder post patch.  Even at level 6 he can do some nice damage (sneak attach and then quick strike equals +10, +4, +7, +4 damage best so far for a total of 25 damage in two hits and much better than my fighter at the same level).  All at app 1 levels.

Other things:

Money is scarce and space to store items is very scarce.  These seem to be major complaints on the main forums and come up very often.  I like the money system since everything is actually valuable and you don't just carry bags of gold and ruin the economy.  Also money has weight...make sure to convert your copper to silver at the bank or face getting overloaded.

Learn the key commands and shortcuts...they save time and effort and make your life much easier.

I haven't had much lag even on full servers (Crushbone, Lucan, etc) but some people are really bad off.  One member of my group drowned because he was in water and lagged for a full minute before getting control back.  He also took 15 minutes to cross the harbor while I took 5.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2004, 07:10:05 PM »

Jeez-Louise, do I have alot to learn.

ericb :  Thanks for the hint on converting money.  I had no clue this could be done.  Can you imagine the laundry list of OTHER things I don't know!?!  Scary!

RPG & Arkon :  You did such a great job explaining everything.  Would you believe I am still confused!?!  I have a feeling when I get home and apply what both of you wrote down (or at least TRY to apply it), it will make alot more sense to me.  I think it's one of those things I just have to "do" - and then it will sink in.

If I see the icon in my knowledge/tradeskills tab, I assume that means I HAVE that skill and can apply it while crafting, correct?  Or do I need to go somewhere and learn the skill first?

Man, I feel like a little 6 year old that needs his mommy to walk to the school bus with him.

The good news is, it makes me feel like the game is very "deep" - of course it may not be, but it makes me feel that way, which rocks!

LD

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2004, 07:18:49 PM »

Double Post - My Apologies.

- - - -

I just thought of another thing I REALLY like about this game.  I have been playing the game with my brother and oldest nephew, and together, the 3 of us are having a total blast.  However, there are times when one or two of us can play, and the third person is busy.  Well, in this game, when that happens, the person who is playing can focus on his artisen level, and forego his regular leveling.  This keeps us all at the same level when we adventure, but gives us something to do when not everyone is on at the same time.  

Did that make any sense?  Anyway, I really love that you can do that.

LD

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2004, 10:26:03 PM »

Ok, LD if it is in your book then you know it.  What I suggest is get a few hotbars open, and put them on 5 and 6 or something to that effect and put the abilities on your hotbars.  Each apperatus/item you make will use a set of 3 different icons.  For example, seweing at low levels, there are three icons, one is stitching, one is knotting and one is nimble hands or something to that affect.  So when sewing you will need those 3.  However that said there are some items in seweing that use a different set of 3 icons, but it is always a set of three, learn em and put the three together on hot bar.  Chemistry uses the open book, vial of yellow liquid and the question mark as another example.  Once you hit lvl 10 in crafting you will need to see an NPC in town, depending on which city you go to, and choose a crafting class.  Once you do this you will get more advanced skills/spells for certain apperattus that are much more efficient/powerful.

You can also right click on your xp bar and turn off xp gain if you so choose, not sure why one would do that other than to not outlevel an area before getting all needed drops.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2004, 03:58:38 AM »

After a week of playing EQ2 nearly non-stop I must say that this is a nice upgrade to EQ.  Now let me preface that by stating that I am sort of a hardcore EQ gamer, I really get into the background of the game, the depth is something I doubt we will ever see in an online game again becuase it turns a lot of people off.  I know most consider EQ and EQ2 a "grind" game but I guess I don't play them that way.  Give me hard quests, make me work for stuff.  Make this another fantasy world I can live in while I'm away from real world.

My old guild has started up on EQ2 (we are something like 420+ strong on EQ - serious raiding guild ...) so the game is a much more sociable experience for me.  That EQ magic seems to be here, I'm really looking forward to the looky-loos to move on though so there is not so much freaking lag  biggrin

I did play the 1st WoW open beta and had a great time with it.  WoW is definitely a game I will look forward to in a few months - now back to EQ2!  

(this post was not in any way meant to offend anyone, and if you get on Mistmore send Happenstance a tell!)

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2004, 12:07:29 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
What exactly is broken with the brokers?  I use it all the time.

I have never had ANYTHING returned after a search at the broker.  If I go to my market board, I get returns, if I go back to the broker, not returns.  It frustrates the **** out of me, but I can't get anyone to tell me why it doesn't work.
Quote from: "Arkon"

In addition to what has been said...there are predetermined outcomes which include... -10,50 (default outcome), -50,0 (bad failure), -100,0 (critical failure very rare), 0, 50 (good success), 0,100 critical success.  Now the first number is durability, second number is progress.  Each round can come up one of these results.  Your hotkeys modify these results.  While you can play the wait and respond game you can also use your "spells" to affect the progress.  What you should do is start to craft.  Use one of your skills even if there is no icon being shown.  Make note of what the skill does.  For example I have a skill for alchemy that gives me a bonus of +10, -20.  What this does is on a default round give me 0, 30.  So I gain progress with no loss in durability.  If you look at your skill in your "k"nowledge book it will give  you a description of what it does.  Basically each round of crafting I am using at least one skill.  I will often use more than one.. they do stack.  So if I get a bit low on durability I will use a combination of skills that give me +10, 0 and +25, +15 to give me a round result of +25, +45.  Experiment with your abilities but use them all the time, not just to react.  Also  Your durability can go over 100% so lets say my first three rounds I gain 75 total durability, but the next round I lose 50 I would see no change as I am over 100%.

I've never tried that, I'll have to try it again and see if it helps.  Right now my biggest problem is getting pelts, people expect you to pay as much for a low quality badger pelt as a finished piece of armor...ridiculous.  Of course once you reach a certain level you can't get drops any more is what I have heard...I wonder how this will be resolved.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2004, 12:57:31 PM »

Couple comments:

The Broker - the broker sells items from other players.  And since they have to be online to sell then it's entirely dependent on someone with that item selling at that time.  I don't know if it works for normal shop items but I have had limited success finding certain items like roots.  It will get better as more people advance and start selling full time.

The Pelts - hit the outside areas and try for a new instance of the zone.  I have no problems getting 2-3 pelts, 2-3 roots and 2-3 groups of tin in 10 minutes or so of walking through oakmyst.  A lot is timing again...if you're in there and there are 50 people harvesting then come back later or try another instance (much more common on the full servers).

The hotbar and crafting - excellent idea.  Most people will specialize and only use a limited number of knowledge buttons and it's much easier than flipping pages in the book.  Personally I'm going as a scribe so I can make most of my spells instead of buying them (made my first 3 last night and it cost about 1/3 of buying them).  I could also make a tidy profit early on at 5s a spell if people are actually buying them (I've seen only a few selling).  Crafting is time consuming though...I spent about 3 hours getting my levels up, making the subcomponents and then the final product.  

Other ideas - check the forums for ideas such as creating a new macro text window just for alerts when your friends sign on.  Also creating new macros to filter out items...like a chat window that doesn't include combat text (which can overwhelm tells and conversations).  Appartently most of the EQ1 slash commands work as well but aren't documented officially (like  /show all friends).

As for the game in general...I'm loving it.  I have a primary character now, in a guild and I'm actually having fun when I play.  I don't die as much, pick my groups more carefully and haven't run into many rude people (I have run into some though).  I'm close to level 11 and leveling does slow down after 10 and apparently slows down a lot after 20.  No problems at all with the game either except the memory leak...just have to reboot each day and I'm fine.  No graphical problems or crashes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: