http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 03:08:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever wonder what might hold up a Planescape re-release?  (Read 2181 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2009, 03:55:33 PM »

well, apparently they don't know who owns the rights, according to Direct2Drive  eek icon_lol

that really sucks, a re-release would be awesome and possibly make them realize how badly people want a new Planescape if it sold well.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »

What would constitute a new Planescape? There's just no need to make a sequel. The game and story is complete as is.

PSN ID: EduardoX
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:59:16 PM »

"A new Planescape" doesn't necessarily mean a sequel. The Nameless One isn't the only thing going in in Planescape, you know. smile

From what I've heard, a 4th Edition D&D CRPG is either getting announced or is coming out in 2010. We can hope it's Planescape, but I seriously doubt it.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:32:36 PM »

Hopefully with less than half the reading the first game had ugh.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 08:37:10 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 28, 2009, 07:32:36 PM

If you didn't like the reading, then you probably didn't like PS:T and shouldn't care about a re-release or a sequel.

Frankly, it was all the nuances in the text that made PS:T perhaps the greatest RPG of all time.  Then again, I like to read.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:45:22 PM »

yep without the reading it's just another game.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:20:53 PM »

Maybe they should have just had him run around a maze, eating copper pieces and occasionally powering up after eating a gold piec so he could smite some ghosts that follow him.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on September 28, 2009, 08:37:10 PM

If you didn't like the reading, then you probably didn't like PS:T and shouldn't care about a re-release or a sequel.

Frankly, it was all the nuances in the text that made PS:T perhaps the greatest RPG of all time.  Then again, I like to read.

I liked it ok. I dont find it the obsession many do. But my eyes are in awful shape these days. I just cannot read what I once did. Back then it hurt my eyes. If a new one came out with all that reading then theres no way I could play it. It would be find with that much dialog if it was voiced.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »

That's a strange statement for D2D to make if you think about it.  AFAIK, all D&D rights reverted back to Atari when Interplay defaulted out of their agreement.  That said, I suppose there may be some split rights issues that would require both Atari and Interplay to sign off on a re-release.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 12:32:58 AM »

The reading is the only thing that has klept me from ever replaying it. My eyes just kill me.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 01:07:38 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 28, 2009, 10:50:00 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on September 28, 2009, 08:37:10 PM

I liked it ok. I dont find it the obsession many do. But my eyes are in awful shape these days. I just cannot read what I once did. Back then it hurt my eyes. If a new one came out with all that reading then theres no way I could play it. It would be find with that much dialog if it was voiced.

Fair enough then.  Didn't get the impression from your first post that it was a physical problem that prevented you from enjoying the original.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 01:47:39 AM »

Several months ago, Gametap lost a bunch of games, including PST, the Baldur's Gates, the Homeworlds, and many more.  The way they explained it was that Sierra had the rights to these games, which then transferred (I think) to Vivendi when Sierra closed.  When Blizzard and Activision merged, they somehow lost the rights to these games, but I don't know to whom they lost them.  icon_confused

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 28, 2009, 05:59:16 PM

"A new Planescape" doesn't necessarily mean a sequel. The Nameless One isn't the only thing going in in Planescape, you know. smile

From what I've heard, a 4th Edition D&D CRPG is either getting announced or is coming out in 2010. We can hope it's Planescape, but I seriously doubt it.
Darksun maybe for the game? I thought they were planning on resurrecting the world again for PnP stuff at least.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »

Yeah, Dark Sun is officially "in' for 2010 so that would make sense.  Anyway, I could have sworn that the rights to Planescape CRPG's are still held by Interplay (or whatever entity is left over there), and I think that doesn't bode well for anything coming out in the next decade.  As for the PnP version, the last I read from Monte Cook was that there were no plans to revisit it as its own setting, but rather that various aspects of it would be incorporated into all the other campaign worlds (IANAL, but perhaps that allows an end-around through the licensing minefield for a new Planescap-ish CRPG?).
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 03:32:38 PM »

I find it very unlikely that the unannounced D&D game would be Dark Sun. The problem there is that games have a development cycle of 2-3 years, while RPG books rarely have more than 1 year. Developing a game based on rules that aren't yet written can only lead to disaster. Just look at Pool of Radiance 2, where the developers didn't have access to the rules until the end of the development cycle. Dark Sun also isn't an as universally appealing setting as Forgotten Realms.
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »

Good point, TiLT.

Also, a follow up to my prior post I did some asking around and found some good news: Interplay traded their rights to do D&D CRPG's back to WoTC in exchange for exclusive rights to the "Dark Alliance" tradmark.

And to think they went out of business despite making shrewd moves like that one ...  icon_cool
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »

As I said above, I never thought about playing Planescape a second time due to how bad it hurt my eyes the first time. I mean red,aching, watering, painful blurry eyes. And that was back when my eyes were just starting to get bad. What was this game..1999? Now days my eyes are very very poor. But damn if this thread hasn't made me get a hankering to play it again. Ive gotten so far as to get it down off the shelf and start reading the manual. smile

I may end up installing. Good lord. I wish the reading was less and I wish my character would change his looks during the game but ya cant have everything......SOOoooooooo any mods I need to know of? Graphics? Widescreen? Bug fixes?

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 04, 2009, 12:23:22 PM

As I said above, I never thought about playing Planescape a second time due to how bad it hurt my eyes the first time. I mean red,aching, watering, painful blurry eyes. And that was back when my eyes were just starting to get bad. What was this game..1999? Now days my eyes are very very poor. But damn if this thread hasn't made me get a hankering to play it again. Ive gotten so far as to get it down off the shelf and start reading the manual. smile

I may end up installing. Good lord. I wish the reading was less and I wish my character would change his looks during the game but ya cant have everything......SOOoooooooo any mods I need to know of? Graphics? Widescreen? Bug fixes?

Maybe you should try glasses.

Ale
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 04:49:14 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on October 04, 2009, 04:37:51 PM

Ale

?

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 10:52:35 PM »

SOOoooooooo any mods I need to know of? Graphics? Widescreen? Bug fixes?

There is a widescreen mod out there, and it's supposed to make the game look really nice.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 11:36:42 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 04, 2009, 04:49:14 PM

Ale

?

I thought Ale's response was pretty clear.  if you're having trouble reading glasses may help.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 01:14:36 AM »

Is Planescape the infinity engine?

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 01:30:56 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 05, 2009, 01:14:36 AM

Is Planescape the infinity engine?

yes...although they modified it significantly to fit their needs for the game.  the Infinity Engine was used in various forms for Baldur's Gate, BG2, Icewind Dale, IWD2, and Planescape:Torment...all fantastic games icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 01:45:32 AM »

Yes they were. I own them all smile ...so this will be able to use the widescreen fix then. Ok cool.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 03:08:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 04, 2009, 11:36:42 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on October 04, 2009, 04:49:14 PM

Ale

?

I thought Ale's response was pretty clear.  if you're having trouble reading glasses may help.

Yeah, sorry if it was unclear. Eyeglasses. You can get non-prescription glasses made specifically for reading computer monitors.

Ale
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 11:10:10 PM »

I've tried reading glasses. They help my wife but my vision does something wierd that just magnafying stuff doesn't solve. Like I look at tjhe moon. I see it. But off to the side and halfway still connected to the moon I see another ghost moon. To the other side of the moon I see another ghost moon. Again connected to the real one but this one is lower that the real moon or the other ghost. Both eyes do this even with one covered. And each is like a mirror of the other eye. Like left eye see low ghost, moon, same hieght ghost....right sees same hieght ghost, moon, lower moon.

Anyways this thread really got me interested in Torment again anyways and i have just finished reading the manual. I plan to install it and see how it looks and how well my eyes do. If Im going to finish them off it might as well be on one of the best games ever made. Ive kinda been waiting to see if I could get the money for The Witcher. Hate to try to play 2 RPGs at once. But its not looking good.

Im hoping to play evil this time and get the burning guy in the tavern..IIRC. I have not touched this since my first play through in like 1999. I still remember the day I bought it and where an all. Great days gone by.

My eyes are so bad though. I have a 20" LCD and can barely see it sometimes. Some days are better than others. Just today my wife was in the other room on the couch. The room right beside this one. Im talking away to her and getting mad because she is watching tv and ignoring me. Thats when she came out of the back room and asked who i was talking to. I couldn't even tell she was gone. LOL. But I drive fine..so watch out for me and stay off my sidewalks.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:12:19 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 09:35:46 PM »

Getting ready to re install I found THIS SITE. Anyone know anything about the things listed there other than the widescreen mod and the official 1.1 patch?

Two Sheds
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 09:50:51 PM »

Have you ever been to an optometrist? Your eyesight problem is likely neither unique nor unfixable.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 03:09:44 AM »

Cant afford it.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 03:53:10 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 08, 2009, 09:35:46 PM

Getting ready to re install I found THIS SITE. Anyone know anything about the things listed there other than the widescreen mod and the official 1.1 patch?

I thought that if you installed everything there (or at least all the stuff that works together) it turns the game into this uber game that has a ton more stuff in it than it had originally. Or something. But it was highly recommended.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 09, 2009, 03:09:44 AM

Cant afford it.

how the heck do you drive or pass the eye test at the license board.....?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 06:26:25 PM »

Its out!!!! Well Oct 30 anyways.
The re release is now out soon. Well at least in the UK on their Amazon. I dont know how to make their funny pound sign but its 17.99. Thats sure to piss off  Ebay's wanting to rip people off.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:27:56 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 07:13:41 PM »

Any idea if they've included built-in WS support and other UI improvements, or is this just a reissue?
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »

If this works with Vista 64 that would be way cool. This is one of the the very few games ever that I got completely stuck in and had to give up. Can't even begin to remember where and why that was. Then over the years I tossed my copy. Duh! Since then I've found many cites where people call it one of the best games ever. I would like to get a chance to try again.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 12:05:27 AM »

Quote from: Dan_Theman on October 27, 2009, 07:13:41 PM

Any idea if they've included built-in WS support and other UI improvements, or is this just a reissue?

I'm guessing reissue. Or they found a bunch of copies lying around somewhere.

Oh, and now it says this: "This item will be released on November 13, 2009."

Makes me glad I still have my copy lying around here somewhere. Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 02:01:01 AM »

what's interesting is that box doesn't mention Black isle Studios anywhere, and it advertises Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, which makes me miss the old system.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: