http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:23:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever find a game you were TOO good at?  (Read 3670 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2005, 09:13:22 PM »

As a counter-point to ATB's thread on games that pwn you, which games can you pwn inside and out? For me, there are two: Star Wars: Rebellion and TIE Fighter. The second one I was especially deadly at, being able to burn through it on Hard and getting everything along the way. The original Quake in multi-player I was flat-out awesome at, though my recent pwnings on Zaxxon's UT2K4 server prove that my skills have fallen woefully short in recent years. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 09:35:26 PM »

for me, it has to be Tetris.  i've played that game enough that i can't just sit down and enjoy it for a few minutes anymore.  at this point, unless i'm playing a version that allows you to start at a higher level, it takes me too long to reach a point that it actually becomes challenging.  back in the day, i managed to break 300,000 points a few times on my original Gameboy version, and single marathon game of The New Tetris on my N64 used to take at least 45 minutes.  it also stinks when you reach the point that your friends refuse to play against you slywink

i still enjoy the game, but 45 minutes is a long time to stack little blocks together without a break...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 09:38:20 PM »

My friends wouldn't let me play Golden Eye with them.  I always won.  IT was a lot of fun from my end though. Heh.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 09:39:22 PM »

I was always pretty good with quake.  Not as good as some I've seen, but definitely good.

It's funny since I used to play it all the time with my friends, and we were all about equal, but one of them was a lot better than me, so naturally I figured I was only average at the game.

Then I went to a LAN party where some guys were playing Quake and trash talking a lot, so I said I've played a little and they let me join in.  It started out with a 3 way deathmatch, but once the score hit 30 to 5 to -3 they started teaming up on me, and they still didn't win.  That was when I finally realized I might be pretty good at Quake. smile

That and Rome:TW recently.  Granted I only play against the computer, but even against it I tend to turn the tides in battles my other friends think are unwinnable.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 09:49:08 PM »

Probably stealth games.  They're probably tied as my favorite genre with RPGs and once you learn the basic mechanics they are almost too easy.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 10:30:30 PM »

MarioKart 64, but only in race mode. I simply didn't lose. In the year or so my friends and I played several times a week, I think I came in second in the GP a grand total of twice.

Battle mode, on the other hand, I was absolutely and completely useless at. Never figured that one out.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 11:22:36 PM »

Dr. Mario.

I have a friend I grew up with and he was better at nearly every game we went head-to-head in.  One day I got Dr. Mario and finally owned him.  I don't know if I am really skilled or he just sucked, but I prefer not to ask that question.  It remains one of my favorite games for this very reason.

I also fancy myself one hell of a Tetris player.

I feel right at home with the 2D Castlevania series (NES, GBA, PS1).  I am one with the whip no matter which member of the Belmont clan I control.

Other than that I feel I "own" most turn-based RPG's.  This is due to the simple fact that I must see, do, and talk to everyone and everything.  I leave no corner unexplored and no chest unopened.  Along the way I manage to grind myself one heck of an over-powered party.  I'm playing Final Fantasy I on the GBA and my party is maxed (999HP/MP, 999999 gil) and I have yet to enter the final castle...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 11:28:59 PM »

I finished both Quake II and Half-Life on the hardest difficulty setting.  I took my time and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I may try Half-Life 2 that way for a replay.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 11:32:12 PM »

Anything I play against Poncho!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 11:42:15 PM »

Depward pwns at Super Smash Bros.

I would have to say NHL '94.  I can score blindfolded, I betcha biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 11:47:52 PM »

I find I'm very good at Castlevania games, too. Figures, I love them! biggrin

I "own" RPGs too, insanely high levels and insane items before I even set foot in the final dungeon. Some say it's no fun with no challenge, but I think it's fun obliterating the final boss like one would own the first boss in the game biggrin

But even more than those, I find I'm actually TOO good at AKI's engine wrestling games (WCW vs. nWo World Tour, WCW/nWo Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, WWF No Mercy, and a couple others). I basically can reverse EVERY move my opponent makes, and just SLAUGHTER him. I LOVE to play it against my friends, yet they HATE when I bring the game up.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 11:55:08 PM »

I'm normally a modest guy, but when it comes to thumb wrestling, I've yet to meet my match.  I don't think my thumbs are abnormally long, in fact, my hands are kind of small.  But my thumbs seem to be able to almost launch themselves out of their sockets and successfully attack and pin all opposing thumbs.  

Oh you meant video games, well then, not really, none come to mind.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 12:00:02 AM »

tomb raider

i got very, very good at the first 3 (plus the little add-on mini-adventures)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 01:27:12 AM »

Dr. Mario.
I also fancy myself one hell of a Tetris player.
Other than that I feel I "own" most turn-based RPG's. This is due to the simple fact that I must see, do, and talk to everyone and everything. I leave no corner unexplored and no chest unopened.

Stiffler, this is funny, since we were just discussing the similarity of our gaming tastes: just replace "turn-based" with "action" - and this is all true for me.  I started with the Tengen version of Tetris and the NES version of Dr. Mario - and beat everyone around and every level available.  we still play the N64 Dr. Mario head-to-head.  And, on the RPG's - same deal - every corner, every chest, every upgrade - I just love to collect and explore. I'm pretty sure that's not really owning the game though, LOL - more like I have to do it because I'm lost all the time and not too great on boss battles! :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 01:29:24 AM »

God of War

PLayed through and wasn't challenged, even the blade towers proved to be easy. That said, I still haven't played a game this year that has been as fun and enjoyable as God of War.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 02:24:19 AM »

I used to be able to solve the Rubik's Magic puzzle (the one with the rings) behind my back.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 02:33:46 AM »

Oh, I forgot my one strange idiot savant talent... the original commodore version of Pirates!

For some reason I was rediculously good at that game.  Take a town with no casualties?  No problem.  Take a galleon with no crew?  Easy.  Mostly since I spent many of my grade school years playing that game, but I was still darn good at it.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 02:41:14 AM »

After beating Ninja Gaiden on normal and hard difficulty, I immediately jumped into the first Hurricaine Pack.  I'm not sure I'd say that I was "too good" at it, but I was definitely hooked beyond the point of reason and actually had to loan it to a friend of mine before I could bring myself to play other games.

-Autistic Angel
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 01:31:28 PM »

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. I really don't know how good I am, but when I used to play it in college no one could ever beat me (and we had a lot of people playing it). I would even play as Dan (who drops only red colored blocks) and still I would win.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 01:41:23 PM »

Nothing comes to mind.  As a gamer I'm very good at most games but not great at any one.

When GG was up, there was a discussion of what a HARDCORE gamer was.  I had always thought myself one, but I had no idea what a true HC gamer really was...there are people SO into gaming that I just can't even comprehend how seriously they take it...and how good they become at the craft.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 01:45:28 PM »

I was very good at MK3 way back in the days. But maybe I think that because none of my friends could beat me. Other than that I'd say I was damn good at the original Quake at one point but I don't think I still have the skills required.
Funny thing about these multiplayer games is that you have to practice, practice, practice to be good at them - just like a sport. That's especially true now when you can get online and always find new people to play against. I was pretty good at Counter-Strike at one point but if I picked it up today, I'd be the last on any map (I stopped playing just after they released v. 1.0).

My smile still stays on.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 01:55:39 PM »

Unreal Tournament
Counterstrike
Call of Duty

Uh...anything with a sniper rifle. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 03:28:04 PM »

The original Ninja Gaiden for the NES. I beat it once without dying and I could routinely get to the second to last boss (Your Father) without dying.

I haven't played the Xbox version though so I'm not sure how good I would be at that.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005, 03:31:56 PM »

I use to have to actully let my friends beat me occasionally in madden(genesis/ps1 era) so that they would even play me.  They of course would trash talk me afterwards making me giggle to myself.

morlac00 on PSN
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 06:25:16 PM »

Dawn of War.  After learning how to play in the first half a dozen games in beta, i never lost a match in over 150games.  I slaughtered everything and everyone.

Rainbow 6 (the origiona).  I used to have a huge folder of all the rounds of 8v8 where I got 8kills....lost it in a hard drive crash a couple years ago.  Loved that game and rocked the house with it.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 06:38:09 PM »

Hm.

I'd say I'm 'too good' at any of the Super Metroid/Symphony of the Night games.  I always just devour them, playing them nonstop, unlocking and finding everything... all in record time.  It makes me sad, since I love those kind of games.

I'd also say Tribes 1/2.  I was awful at the game to begin with, as I'm sure any newb is, but dear lord, I turned into a god.  I was actually in the 'greatest' clan Tribes 1 ever saw -- comprised of legendary players I'd seen in the 'hardcore' servers since the game's release, and some I'd only read about.

Tribes 2 I played solo.  I don't think I've ever played a game of Tribes 2 where I didn't finish the map at the top of the server.  This eventually got boring since there was practically no challenge, so I stopped playing the game.

Right now I'm working on mastering Natural Selection: Combat and UT2k4.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2005, 07:49:20 PM »

I became one with the original Mega Man on the NES.  I played through and through one night until I had it right at the flip over point.  I was going to take a picture of my TV to send it to Nintendo Power but just as I neared the flip over point I forgot about it and ended up rolling my score back to 0.  Grr.  Turned it off and went to bed completely pissed at myself.  I almost picked up the collection just so I could relive my gaming god moment. smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2005, 07:52:43 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. I really don't know how good I am, but when I used to play it in college no one could ever beat me (and we had a lot of people playing it). I would even play as Dan (who drops only red colored blocks) and still I would win.

If Super Puzzle Fighter were online, it would be on like donkey-kong.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2005, 09:22:02 PM »

TheMissingLink is the best at NHL 94 for the SNES.  We must have played that game, seriously, over 1000 hours.  We would play the 60 min. periods sometimes . . . that was fun.

Super Puzzle Fighter II rocks

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2005, 10:03:09 PM »

I used to play Mario Bros./ Track Meet/ Duck Hunt so much (my only game for a long time), that I completely murdered at them.  I could go through each level of mario, full speed ahead without a single screw up.  Track Meet, I could jump off the pad for long jumps, and jump back on just before my guy falls on his face.

Soldier of Fortune was the first game I ever played (multiplayer) with broadband.  If I was trying my hardest, I would completely smear everyone else.  Soldier of Fortune II, I didn't own at as much, but I still made some incredible plays on capture the flag.  

If you have played capture the flag on SoFII, then you know that the game can last multiple hours at 0-0 stalemates.  On a randomly generated, 64 player capture the flag, the score was 1-1, and stayed that was for about two hours.  Then, the other team got to their base with are flag.  I was waiting.  Blew him away about ten (scale) feet away from returning it, and kept everyone else from snagging it, until it reset at are base.  I then thought "What the hell; why not?", and grabbed their flag.  I returned it, getting about ten kills on my way to are flag, before back-up helped me out.  It was the first (and only) time I had ever felt like I truely owned at a game.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2005, 10:32:29 PM »

I could beat Super Mario 2 in under 45 minutes without dying or warping. I had that game down to a science as a kid.

Nowadays? I don't think I focus on one game too much to being able to claim anything like that. I don't have any trouble with games, but I can't think of any one particular game that I could breeze through.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 11:28:57 PM »

for a while I was so good at Jedi Outcast that people would start leaving the server after I played a round or two.  Of all the FPS games I played, I was overwhelmingly the best at that one. I actually stopped playing because it was too easy.  I was also taking down guys who were armed to the teeth with charged shots from my dinky little blaster.

I think a mistake people were making in that game was relying on the lightsaber protecting them from blaster fire.  I figured out that the feet werent protected, and pwnage ensued.  The charged blaster was great for that (but required really good aim), and using the ricochet fire from the wookie bowcaster was great as well, you have to shoot just a bit in front of them so it would bounce up and hit them in the shins.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2005, 01:55:28 PM »

Defender, Atari 2600.

I literally played it until the code ran out.  At the time, I was pissed.  I still had 30+ extra lives and smart bombs out the ass.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2005, 09:18:35 PM »

TheMissingLink and I are the Kings of Gitaroo-Man.  No one can defeat us!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2005, 08:20:58 PM »

I pretty much dominate on any fighting game I put time into.  I'll get beat occasionally, but it's a rare occurrence.  The Soul Calibur series is gaming nirvana for me and I have yet to meet anyone that can top me at either of them.  Even after I had unlocked everything on the first game I still played it until I had gotten to the point where I could beat Arcade mode on ultra-hard, 3 rounds per match, with Edge Master.  I played the sequel so much that I 100% unlocked both the GameCube and Xbox versions.  I would have done the PS2 version as well, but wasn't very impressed with the shoddy graphics and lame character.  (I like my Tekken characters in a Tekken game, sue me...)  The shitty part is that being as good as I am, most people won't ever play me again after I've beaten them once.  Some of my friends won't play me at all any more because they know they don't have a chance at winning.  smile

Glycerine

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2005, 08:52:20 PM »

Kohan.

Of course, working for the company that made it  contributed greatly, but when I started beating the programmers and the owner of the company regularly subsequent patches tended to nerf some of my tactics....

Still, it was fun handing my boss' ass to him every now and then biggrin

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2005, 09:13:25 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I could beat Super Mario 2 in under 45 minutes without dying or warping. I had that game down to a science as a kid.

Speaking of which, I just saw this video for the first time:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/moSMB3.wmv

Probably old to most but seriously, I almost wanted to call shenanigans.  The way he times his jumps is uncanny.  He must have studied the damn game for hours to memorize it.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2005, 04:43:24 PM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"

Probably old to most but seriously, I almost wanted to call shenanigans.  The way he times his jumps is uncanny.  He must have studied the damn game for hours to memorize it.

actually, that guy is playing the game using an emulator and is running it at a slower speed to make all that 'perfect timing' much easier.  it's not as impressive as it looks at first glance...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2005, 06:18:16 PM »

Three games come to mind:
Ice Hockey for the nintendo. I can beat anyone, I've decided, by at least 15 points.
World Cup for the NES. I never played against another human, but scores of 30-0 were not uncommon.
Front Page Sports: Football. Again, I would win 107-7. I loved it, but it was no challenge.

PSN ID: EduardoX
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2005, 07:16:12 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"
Quote from: "RightBastard"

actually, that guy is playing the game using an emulator and is running it at a slower speed to make all that 'perfect timing' much easier.  it's not as impressive as it looks at first glance...

Way to cast "dispel magic" on that video.  I have lost a little more faith in the world.   :cry:

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: