http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:31:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever Find a Game that You Were Just NO GOOD at?  (Read 3331 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2005, 11:17:10 AM »

Pardon the bad grammar.

Very rarely are there games that I just can't get.  The original spiderman was one (though it was mostly the game's fault- how horrible it was).

My current struggle is Rocky Legends.  I loved the original and played through it a couple of times.  So now I have RL and for the life of me I can't put combinations together, successfully dodge,  or knock anyone down (let alone out).

Ugh! So frustrating.

So it's time to put it on the shelf for a while and finally fire of Jade Empire...
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 01:26:59 PM »

Any kind of FPS on a console.   I'd have better luck building a spaceship than trying to aim and shoot with a controller.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:57:44 PM »

The new EA Boxing system.. I cant seem to get it to work.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 02:02:03 PM »

Ninja Gaiden.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 04:15:41 PM »

Thief 3 on the XBox

I just couldn't get into it.  Ended up trading it within a week or purchasing it.

I'm not much for the stealth games.  I prefer action.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 04:22:34 PM »

Ninja Gaiden is the closest for me.  I like to think that I can enjoy any quality game no matter what genre but boy this one is pretty tough.  I think I'm too easily distracted by the pretty pictures to focus in on my strategy moment to moment and, in NG, lapsing your attention for a millisecond means almost instant death.

But I haven't given up on it- I've made it to Chapter 6 and will continue trying.  I just have a hard time believing I'll ever beat it.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 04:39:05 PM »

Quite a few, nowadays.  Back when I used to rent NES games and stuff, I'd blaze through them.  I have a tougher time now...with everything, it seems.

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 04:40:27 PM »

I am so used to keyboard mouse controls, that I cannot play FPS' on a console.  It is an exercise in futility.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

All of 'em

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 05:12:41 PM »

I tend to be pretty poor at racing games, particularly ones that require you to tweak things like suspension and engine torque and such.  I'm sure that degree of customization is wonderful if you're really into the sport, but for me, it doesn't mean much.

I was also terrible at that game Creatures where you were supposed to raise and breed a race of artificial animals.  While other people were successfully breeding generations of super-intelligent or nearly-immortal norns, my first-generation norns would either die from starvation or make a beeline straight for the closest poisonous mushroom.

I'm *awful* at Devil May Cry, too.  I've never tried the second or third games, but whenever I try to get into the first one, Dante dies like there's a "Suicide" button mapped directly onto the controller.

-Autistic Angel
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 05:17:08 PM »

Gran Turismo 4.  I refuse to use brakes.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 06:03:10 PM »

I am not good at the following games:

Fight Night
Janes Flight Sims
The Sims
Rome Total War

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 07:01:39 PM »

Black & White
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 07:35:14 PM »

A few days ago I would say Devil May Cry, I just cannot beat that damn spider boss in level three. But then a couple days ago... I did. After about THREE years of owning Devil May Cry (got it close to release), I FINALLY manage to pwn the spider.

There's hope for me yet...

(And NO, I REFUSE to submit to the easy mode.)
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 07:37:57 PM »

Games where gravity is relevant to game play, like that vector-graphic arcade game here you land the spaceship, or games like Joust.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 07:53:09 PM »

i can already tell that wipeout pure's gonna be a challenge - any racing stuff (like in ratchet & clank - still can't believe i got thru all those bits)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 08:49:41 PM »

I can beat the AI in Rise of Nations on the wimpier settings but "Normal" just kicks my butt all over the place.

Ditto on first-person shooters on a console.  I get jittery when someone's firing at me and I can't figure out how to switch weapons quickly and I'm always facing the wrong direction and then I'm dead.  With a mouse and keyboard I can kick some serious butt.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 02:31:54 AM »

Platformers, in general - Prince of Persia 1 for XBox, in particular - very disappointing since I thought i was going to love it (the demo gave me no problem beyond what you'd expect for early-learning in a game).  I got the full game, and I fell, fell, and fell some more, got totally stuck at the triple-jump up the giant statue (to get that precious dagger, way early on).  I had a teenager do that for me, finally, then proceeded to fall again and again until I quit in frustration... :evil:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 02:48:23 AM »

A few days ago I would say Devil May Cry, I just cannot beat that damn spider boss in level three. But then a couple days ago... I did. After about THREE years of owning Devil May Cry (got it close to release), I FINALLY manage to pwn the spider.

Same here.  Intellectually, I know it's weird that I'd rather pass on a game than play it on easy, but every time that message comes up about switching to "Easy Automatic Mode," I just can't bring myself to do it.  If I'm going to wimp out, I might as well go all the way and just have someone *describe* the game to me.

I'd honestly rather admit that Devil May Cry beat me fair and square.

-Autistic Angel
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 02:52:03 AM »

Fighting games I just plain suck at them. I try to play them with a slow thinking mans approch. That doesn't work mashing buttons and jumping around like a idiot is much more succesfull. Blah frown
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 12:37:41 PM »

Im terrible at Ninja Gaiden.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 12:40:20 PM »

Sports titles.  I'm playing MLB for the PSP to review it and my first game was 10-0 and NOT in my favor. slywink  The second game was 4-1 so I guess I'm getting better...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 12:52:06 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"

Same here.  Intellectually, I know it's weird that I'd rather pass on a game than play it on easy, but every time that message comes up about switching to "Easy Automatic Mode," I just can't bring myself to do it.  If I'm going to wimp out, I might as well go all the way and just have someone *describe* the game to me.

I'd honestly rather admit that Devil May Cry beat me fair and square.

-Autistic Angel

Easy Mode on DMC 1 IS like having someone describe the game to you.  Combos happen automatically (and at random, it seems), enemies die like there's a blackmail threat on them, and overall it's just not satisfying.  Stick it out if you can, though.  Because the first 10 or so levels of that game are just about my favorite gaming experience on the planet.   I'm happy to answer any questions on it.  Yes, it's hard.  But right past the Spider things get a little more reasonable.  Not easier, mind you.  It's just that you now have the skills to pay a few more bills.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 05:29:34 PM »

I'm really bad at platformer games, to the point where I can't get more than a level or two into a game like Jax and Dexter.  

The worst ever was Splinter Cell.  For me, playing splinter cell consisted of hanging from a railing, running down an alley, doing a wide variety of immersive gameplay and then being killed by Russians.  It was pretty cool - the graphics were great, and I could try all sorts of things before the Russians killed me.  I could throw a can to distract them before they killed me, hide in shadows and sneak to where they were going to kill me, break ones neck before the other killed me, make them all look green and grainy while they killed me.  They may have been Ukrainian, actually.  Anyway, they would kill me and then talk in Russian about how much of a tool I was.  I really couldn't get past the first half hour of the game.

Not that splinter cell is a platformer...  The two paragraphs are unrelated.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 06:50:10 PM »

I'm terrible at Frequency and Amplitude.  But I rock at Parappa the Rappa!

zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 09:19:28 PM »

twisted metal black. i love the insomniac games especially war of the monsters, but i am no good at this game. i just keep driving in circles shooting blindly.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 11:12:32 PM »

I hate platform/adventure games like Prince of Persia. It's not that I'm not good at them, but I can't stand stopping my game progress long enough to solve stupid puzzles.

Most game puzzles rarely if ever make sense in relation to the game world. It's like game developers reach a point and say "HEY.. I've got an idea! We need to make the game longer right? Let's just put in stupid puzzles to confuse people, regardless of whether they really fit in with the game world!"

Please note: My use of PoP as an example is not related to the second paragraph about puzzles working in relation to the world the game is portraying. That's one exception where the puzzles actually belong in the game. I just hate those kinds of games.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2005, 01:47:31 AM »

Madden.

I can play the Pats and my buddy the Lions, and I will get owned all day long. So disappointing.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2005, 04:37:55 AM »

I really enjoy playing RTSs, but I'm too slow with economic and military build-ups to ever be any good.  In scripted missions and RTSs that don't have an economy I do a little better.  I tend to spaz when I have more than 1 hot spot at the same time, which apparently makes for a bad RTS player.  I usually get frustrated with RTSs, and will stop playing them faster than any other genre.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2005, 03:01:34 PM »

I'm finding out that I suck at the Skate games.   Of course, I need to find some online instructions on how to play it.   I got the Disney Extreme Skate game  (based on the Tony Hawk engine) pre-owned with no manual.   I have no clue what the controller keys do except for simple commands.   Apparently you use them in combination to do tricks.

- shaggy

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2005, 03:37:04 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
The worst ever was Splinter Cell.  For me, playing splinter cell consisted of hanging from a railing, running down an alley, doing a wide variety of immersive gameplay and then being killed by Russians.  It was pretty cool - the graphics were great, and I could try all sorts of things before the Russians killed me.  I could throw a can to distract them before they killed me, hide in shadows and sneak to where they were going to kill me, break ones neck before the other killed me, make them all look green and grainy while they killed me.  They may have been Ukrainian, actually.  Anyway, they would kill me and then talk in Russian about how much of a tool I was.  I really couldn't get past the first half hour of the game.

That description gave me a chuckle, as I am the exact same way with the Splinter Cell games.  I love stealth action, but I just have never been able to do the SC games.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2005, 02:42:39 AM »

I stink at just about every game I play.

But a special shout-out has to go to ESPN Hockey 2Kpick-a-year.

I still don't know how to pass the puck!

LD  :?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: