http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 10:31:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eventhough most here don't care, here's some Revolution news  (Read 2735 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2005, 11:49:08 AM »

http://cube.ign.com/articles/613/613340p1.html

It sounds like the machine is about as thin as the PS2 mini and will sit horizontally.

Will Play DVDs, so no more crazy assed proprietary disks.

Built in Wi-fi, no adapters or peripherals needed.

Backwards compatible out of the box.

And it will also use completely wireless controllers.

So it sounds like Nintendo has gotten with the program in terms of design, but yes the controller still scares me. It's shaping up to be the controller that will make or break the system as I think that's where the whole gimmick/innovation will lay. Of course it couldn't be that out there if the machine is to play Cube games as well...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 12:10:15 PM »

That's sad.

We care!!  biggrin

...just, not that much.  :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 12:15:58 PM »

Isn't the GC very very close in technology to the mac to begin with? So maybe they are taking technology worked out for the Mac Mini to put something out?

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 12:20:59 PM »

I care only because I would buy anything that had Mario, Metroid and most importantly Zelda games on it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 03:25:10 PM »

How will it both play DVD's and be backwards compatible with GameCube games which are on a proprietary small disc?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 03:25:43 PM »

Hmmm....lemme see some games and I'll care.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 03:26:16 PM »

The lil discs will fit in the larger tray. smile  Probably an indent for those discs.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 05:36:55 PM »

We care!!

...just, not that much.

Absolutely true, but for me, it's only because of the games.  For what I like to play, the XBox has the most games, the PS2 is next, and the Cube is last.  Now, that doesn't mean I would do without it (or the Revolution, depending on the games).  I've gotten huge enjoyment out of the Cube, the only problem is that I can list all of the games without causing anyone eyestrain from reading too much:  Zelda, Animal Crossing, Summoner 2, Eternal Darkness, and Phantasy Star.  However, since I don't go to every new movie, or collect many DVD's, the $100 or so that I spent for it was well worth it.  I don't zoom through games, I savor them, go everywhere, do everything, etc., so there are hundreds of hours of entertainment there, for me anyway.

It really is All About the Games - I love great graphics and overpowering effects, but I was very addicted to Animal Crossing and got tons of fun from it, too.  If the Revolution has a Zelda, I'm probably IN anyway, but if it has even a few other games, then it's a done deal.

Yes, some of us do care! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 06:39:39 PM »

I'm glad that it's going to be more standard.  E3 is going to point my wallet in the right direction, it seems!!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 09:41:06 PM »

Update straight from Nintendo

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=9594f668-5342-4b38-8eb1-d6bf479c4139&page=newsmain

Nintendo, the world leader in video game innovation, stated loud and clear that they are not to be overlooked in the next generation home console race with the revelation of several unique features of the company's next console system, code name Revolution, to key media outlets. According to the early information, Revolution will combine powerful technology and gaming-focused features in Nintendo's smallest home game console yet.

In its final form, Revolution will be about the thickness of three standard DVD cases and only slightly longer. The versatile Revolution will play either horizontally or vertically, allowing the user total flexibility in setting up a gaming session wherever they have a television.

Thanks to Nintendo's hardware development partners IBM and ATI, the small system will be packed with power that will enable it to wow players with its graphics. Nintendo's legions of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube 3-inch disks along with its own standard, double-layered DVD disks in the same self-loading media drive.

In the next generation, the addition of the Internet will be important to all consoles and particularly important to Nintendo. Revolution will be wireless Internet ready out of the box.

There's much more to Revolution that will be revealed over the coming months, but the combination of its compact size, wireless Internet, backward compatibility, quick start-up time and quiet, low-power operation add up to the start of a great game system. Get ready for the Nintendo Revolution in 2006!
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 09:48:14 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
The lil discs will fit in the larger tray. smile  Probably an indent for those discs.

Except aren't GC discs written differently?  (I think I read somewhere that they're written backwards).  If so, the Revolution might need another laser in the drive.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 09:54:22 PM »

The Cube's disks are pretty much Mini-dvds, they have some special encoding on them, that might require a laser, but for the most part they don't.

Eitherway, it seems like Nintendo will atleast have the aesthetics down, and they'll have online down, now that controller, if it isn't a touch screen and is just a gyroscope, or has a touch-screen on top of traditional standard controls, then I am cool with it. Hell I'd even give stereoscopic 3D a whirl if it was optional...

All I need to know is what makes this thing revolutionary, or will it be a worthless gimmick that hampers what seems to be shaping into a good little machine, and I do like the Little A LOT. I love my PS2 mini.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 10:09:55 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
The Cube's disks are pretty much Mini-dvds, they have some special encoding on them, that might require a laser, but for the most part they don't.

Eitherway, it seems like Nintendo will atleast have the aesthetics down, and they'll have online down, now that controller, if it isn't a touch screen and is just a gyroscope, or has a touch-screen on top of traditional standard controls, then I am cool with it. Hell I'd even give stereoscopic 3D a whirl if it was optional...

All I need to know is what makes this thing revolutionary, or will it be a worthless gimmick that hampers what seems to be shaping into a good little machine, and I do like the Little A LOT. I love my PS2 mini.

Tebunker, does your PStwo run kinda warm?  Mine does, and I want to know if that's normal.  Other than that, I agree: the PStwo is a very sexy design.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2005, 10:27:47 PM »

I just did a test, and I am going to say that the Revolution is about 3/4 to an inch thicker than the PStwo, and as long as it. So very small, but big enough to fit in the guts and a disk drive.

Just a FYI, Nintendo published an official release on their website. The drive will be self loading, and the machine is fully HD compatible and Wi-Fi out of the box, and lest we forget that it can connect Directly to your PC monitor...

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 10:43:49 PM »

See my post above for said release.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 03:37:28 AM »

sources are saying this is fake, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is real....

http://onefed.com/media/NintendoON.wmv

mind you, I'm not saying this is Revolution, but what exactly are those two devices that it's showing connecting to 4.5 minutes in?  one of them is a gamecube...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 05:20:26 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
sources are saying this is fake, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is real....

http://onefed.com/media/NintendoON.wmv

mind you, I'm not saying this is Revolution, but what exactly are those two devices that it's showing connecting to 4.5 minutes in?  one of them is a gamecube...

Wow, if the revolution is suppossed to be virtual reality, adn it really pulled it off, as that video made it look like, nintendo really could blow away ms and sony. Of course it would need to be done exceptionally well. But if it could dot aht and normal games the other systems play, you would be looking at a huge success. But only if it were done extremely well. I would be very interested in it if that video is real.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 05:33:16 AM »

I don't think that that is a spot for the revolution- I think it's for something else they will unveil.  Everybody is mistaking this for the revolution, and IGN is claiming it's a fake (but they are refering to it as a fake revolution leak).

It's too good to be fake.  Even if it isn't a real product launch, I'm betting it's some kind of mock-up by their marketing dept.  It feels like an E3 video that's to be splashed on huge monitors.  It feels like Nintendo for sure.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 05:55:14 AM »

I have no idea what that was, but it was damn professional. I don't know how I feel about virtual reality. I like my fat ass nestled in the couch, not tripping over my coffee table because it's not part of my "virtual" environment.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2005, 01:00:31 PM »

Most folks on GAF and IGN boards feel it was done by a fairly infamous guy, same one who made the fake super mario gba game trailer, he's top notch at what he does and this looks like his work.

Your absolute dead giveaways, are the Nintendo logo, Nintendo doesn't screw around with this stuff and that one was off a little bit, and then the Mario and Samus models, they were definately Amateur and Nintendo would never use a video that has such horrible modelling of their own characters.

It definately looks cool, and maybe it's a leaked concept idea that they had, but it's about 99% confirmed fake.

And the reason it's considered a Revolution fake is because the video explicitly uses the word Revolution and Revolution Day.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2005, 08:37:04 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Most folks on GAF and IGN boards feel it was done by a fairly infamous guy, same one who made the fake super mario gba game trailer, he's top notch at what he does and this looks like his work.

Your absolute dead giveaways, are the Nintendo logo, Nintendo doesn't screw around with this stuff and that one was off a little bit, and then the Mario and Samus models, they were definately Amateur and Nintendo would never use a video that has such horrible modelling of their own characters.

It definately looks cool, and maybe it's a leaked concept idea that they had, but it's about 99% confirmed fake.

And the reason it's considered a Revolution fake is because the video explicitly uses the word Revolution and Revolution Day.

Well even if it is a fake, if the revolution is going to be birtual reality with the ability to play regular games as well, I would be damn impressed, and I could see some serious troubles for ms and sony. Im more interested about the revolution latley then the xbox 360. Mostly because as sweet as the xbox 360 is, it wont bring anything new to the table.
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2005, 02:40:08 AM »

real or not. i am sorry, i do not want to wear a game helmet.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2005, 06:02:49 AM »

If the Revolution uses a VR helmet, or polarized 3D glasses (as another rumour suggested), how are two or more people supposed to play? Do you buy multiple headsets or glasses? What about casual viewers? How's a buddy dropping by supposed to check out the sweet new Rev game if he can't see the damn thing?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2005, 06:33:03 AM »

The headset would be a definite issue for multiplayer but as for 3D- I'd assume every game would have a toggle for 3D mode.  And with polarized can't you still see the image clearly  if you aren't wearing glasses?  I thought it was only red-blue 3D (aniglyph I believe) that screwed up the image.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2005, 02:07:25 PM »

Watching a polarized 3d display without the glasses will still give you a double image (the images have to be in seperate places so that each eye is seeing a slightly different picture) but for me it's not nearly as distracting as a red/green image without glasses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: