http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 10:05:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eurogamer busted!  (Read 2357 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »

It has come up recently that the once very trustworthy Eurogamer has been delivering surprisingly low scores lately.  Their attitude has turned surprisingly negative.  A recent slam of Darkfall Online has come under fire as the publisher has checked the reviewers game logs and reported that he seems to have only played the game for about 2 hours (mostly in character creation), spread over 13 sessions!

What is worse that a reviewer not spending more than a couple hours playing a game? A reviewer not spending anytime with a game! That is the allegation this morning over a Eurogamer review for Darkfall Online. Commenters to the article are not particularly kind, pointing out many factual errors in the review. Even a Darkfall developer has made a post to their forums with this scathing information:
“When we read the hostile review by Ed Zitron, one thing became apparent: he had not played the game at all. Eurogamer readers and Darkfall players are posting bullet lists of factual errors in the story. The reviewer hadn’t even figured out the very basics of the game before he wrote about it. We checked the logs for the 2 accounts we gave Eurogamer and we found that one of them had around 3 minutes playtime, and the other had less than 2 hours spread out in 13 sessions,”
“Most of these 2 hours were spent in the character creator since during almost every one of the logins the reviewer spent the time creating a new character. The rest of the time was apparently spent taking the low-res screenshots that accompanied the article. At no point did this reviewer spend more than a few minutes online at a time.”

Here is Eurogamer's response:

Yesterday Eurogamer MMO published a review of Darkfall Online, scoring the game 2/10.

Several hours later, after a bit of email discussion, Aventurine responded on its forum, claiming the review was factually inaccurate and the reviewer had played the game for only two hours.

As I said to Tasos Flambouras from Aventurine yesterday, I take any feedback on our reviews - and especially this kind of response - extremely seriously. However, I disagree with Flambouras' depiction of events.

The reviewer in question, Ed Zitron, disputes the server logs that Aventurine presents as fact. According to the logs they supplied, Ed played the game for just over three hours. Ed says the logs miss out two crucial days and understate others, which suggests they are incomplete, and he insists he played the game for at least nine hours.

I did tell Flambouras - as he writes on the forum - that Ed is a contributor rather than a staff writer, but the implication is that I said this to distance Ed from Eurogamer. This is wrong. Ed Zitron has my full support.

As I told Flambouras, Ed's references and background are immaculate, as many PC Zone readers will attest. I also do not believe server logs are incontrovertible proof of the scenario Aventurine describes. Aventurine says Ed's response is a "lie", and demanded that I take down the review and issue a retraction, but I can't do that on the basis of the evidence presented.

Speaking as someone who hasn't played the game, questions of factual accuracy are more difficult for me to quantify (although the review thread has a crack, and you should read it if you're interested). It's also hard to judge from a distance whether two, nine or 50 hours would be appropriate to review Darkfall, as this clearly varies enormously from game to game.

That said, the passion with which Aventurine has attacked Ed's review is considerable, and the allegations obviously go a long way beyond arguing the toss. With this in mind, it seems only fair to take another look at Darkfall to supplement the review we've already published.

I've already contacted another one of our PC writers, Kieron Gillen, who has agreed to review Darkfall. Kieron is a vastly experienced, award-winning journalist and one of the founding editors of Rock, Paper, Shotgun. I'll publish his review as soon as it's ready, and we will see whether he agrees with Ed or not.

It's safe to say that we've learned some lessons from this episode, and they will be beneficial when it comes to future reviews. In the meantime, any and all discussion of the subject on the forums and comments threads is fine. Just as game developers have to deal with the response to their work, so too do we, and you've every right to criticise and debate it.

Source - Evil Avatar: http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1746461#post1746461

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »

Heh.  Yeah.  I've posted about it in a more appropriate place. slywink

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 01:44:29 PM »

they should of realised when the game got a 2/10...surely Eurogamer should of checked it out why they were giving a game pretty much the lowest score for a game in history!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »

The reviewer in question, Ed Zitron, disputes the server logs that Aventurine presents as fact. According to the logs they supplied, Ed played the game for just over three hours. Ed says the logs miss out two crucial days and understate others, which suggests they are incomplete, and he insists he played the game for at least nine hours.

I'll take Ed Zitron on his word. He played it for at least nine hours (but no more than ten hours)

To put that into perspective -- If you only spent nine hours with World of Warcraft that would put you around level 15...20, if it was exclusively on one character and your first time through. If you checked out other characters, you'd've never left the starting area and probably never even gotten to a major capital city.

Now, I haven't read the review in question - have never played Darkfall Online (quite frankly, haven't heard of Darkfall online), but if you only play an MMO for 9 hours, you must say as much within the review - and early in the review - so that people get a proper perspective on the basis of your review.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 01:52:29 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on May 06, 2009, 01:45:55 PM

I'll take Ed Zitron on his word. He played it for at least nine hours (but no more than ten hours)

To put that into perspective -- If you only spent nine hours with World of Warcraft that would put you around level 15...20, if it was exclusively on one character and your first time through. If you checked out other characters, you'd've never left the starting area and probably never even gotten to a major capital city.

Now, I haven't read the review in question - have never played Darkfall Online (quite frankly, haven't heard of Darkfall online), but if you only play an MMO for 9 hours, you must say as much within the review - and early in the review - so that people get a proper perspective on the basis of your review.

Actually, nevermind. Read the review. Looks like he played on a PVP server, was disappointed that it wasn't a PVE server, and spent his entire in-game time getting griefed. Not to mention how it sounds like everything is a bit more awkward to do than it is in World of Warcraft. (There's a reason why WoW is the #1 MMO out there - and it's not because of it's innovation, it's because everything it does is done right - it's easy to figure out when you first play it, and it's deep enough that it's enjoyable 200 hours later.)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »

I disagree, while WoW DOES do mostly everything right, its also because its EASY to play that its as popular as it is. Darkfall is anything but, and is ONLY full PVP, very very different from WoW.

some would call it innovating and genrebreaking, some would call it bad game design :-)

But, I think MMO's are hard to review properly, both because they change so much from launch to "later", and because the content is very much level specific

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 02:00:57 PM »

i know that Final Fantasy 11 didnt get great reviews,but i loved that game....Star Wars Galaxies i didn't see any reviews,but i didnt like it,main reason for SWG was because i hardly made any friends in game,i wanted to go off and do my own thing

MMO reviews may as well not even be with us,to get the most of the game you would have not just put hours and hours into the game but also link up with other people and get a good relationship going,i dont think that can really happen in a reviewers time with the game...just IMO anyway

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 02:07:37 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 06, 2009, 01:55:05 PM

But, I think MMO's are hard to review properly, both because they change so much from launch to "later", and because the content is very much level specific

While true, I also know that there's absolutely no way in hell that a MMO can be 'reviewed' in 9 hours of gameplay. Especially one as different as your common run-of-the-mill MMO. Darkfall is a PvP MMO period.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 01:49:37 AM »

I don't know the reviewer or the game.  But 9 hours for an MMO seems very, very minimal. 

This reminds me of some of the debates I've seen in the past where professional reviewers will argue that they only need to play until they "get it," whatever that is, and that they don't have a responsibility to tell the reader how much they actually played to come to their conclusions.  But they don't want to have to tell us for fear we will consider their review less valuable if we know they didn't play a particular game very much.  It also reminds me of the "review" I read on a very well respected game site where the reviewer admitted in the comments that what he had actually played was a demo, not the game.  But hey, he had the full support of the sites editor, so it was all good, right?

There are some very good game journalists.  There is also a lot of crap in the games journalist space.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 02:00:44 AM »

If I were to say which side I'd come down on, I'd have to doubt that the guy played nine hours when the server record said only three.

If the reviewer really played nine hours, wouldn't he point to the levels of his characters in the game, and show how far he'd gotten, instead of just claiming that time went unrecorded? The game company is pointing to some very specific details on his game play, and states that there is no way they missed those six hours.

Sounds more like the guy messed around with the game for a couple of hours, hated it, and blasted the game rather than explore to see if there was any more substance to it.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 02:43:27 AM »

I'll freely admit I don't completely finish every single game I review, but 9 hours (or 2 hours, as originally claimed) is way too short to properly take in everything an MMO has to offer.  Eurogamer used to be one of my most trusted sites, but it seems like lately they've chosen to just start giving low scores to be controversial instead.  It's a shame, really.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 03:46:10 AM »

Not sure I see the correlation between this review and the perceived trend to rate games lower to garner controversy (FWIW, I don't agree that EG is doing the latter).  Instead this is the result of a "no name" game that was pawned off on a freelancer because the regular staff didn't feel like putting in the time.  I think that happens at many publications and usually passes without note (and would have here if it weren't for the server logs and the freelancer seemingly doing a piss poor job at not even getting his facts straight).  However a lot of the higher profile "too low" reviews that people have issue with were major titles reviewed by regular members of their staff. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 04:05:20 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 07, 2009, 03:46:10 AM

Not sure I see the correlation between this review and the perceived trend to rate games lower to garner controversy (FWIW, I don't agree that EG is doing the latter).

hey, they gave demon's souls a 9, so they haven't totally lost the ability to recognize genius when they see it smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 05:20:32 AM »

While I agree that 9 hours is way too short, I think his complaints about the game are valid and aren't going to change if he played it for 30 hours.  I'd like to see Adventurine speak on the issues the reviewer mentions.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 06:02:34 AM »

It's actually quite sad that this happens to the smaller games that need all the attention it can get. The contributor deserves to be given das boot.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »

Just out of curiosity, how long should someone play a game to find the fun?  Shouldn't a game be fun (or interesting) within a few minutes of playing? 

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 07:07:03 AM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on May 07, 2009, 06:24:05 AM

Just out of curiosity, how long should someone play a game to find the fun?  Shouldn't a game be fun (or interesting) within a few minutes of playing? 

Ideally, but the reality is that that there have been plenty of good games that started off sluggishly and got much better later.  That's the kind of thing a review should point out, IMHO.  As a player I'm interesting in whether the game is good purchase on the whole, not whether the beginning is good or not.  My assumption as a reader is that the reviewer is doing the work for me to find out if the whole game is worth it or not.  If a reviewer doesn't get past the first part of the game, how can they judge anything but that first part?  And this works both ways, as we've seen with very positive reviews for games that started strong but collapsed later.  So they need to see a sizeable chunk of the game before writing a review.

Now an MMO is different in that the game is meant to take a lot of time and doesn't really have an end.  Plus a lot of MMOs are launched incomplete in terms of their higher level content.  So in that sense a review can't be expected to give us a complete score.  But I certainly would expect a reviewer to spend a minimum of 20-30 hours in an MMO before writing up their opinion.  And I'd also hope that a reviewer that has a problem with certain types of games or certain types of gameplay would be smart enough or professional enough not to let their personal bias into the review.  If you don't like PvP in MMOs, don't review a PvP MMO.  If you don't like D&D, don't review a D&D based RPG (to cite a famous review controversy from a few years ago.) 

Now I'm sure someone is going to come on and tell us that reviewers don't have the time and/or aren't paid enough to do a complete job.  But I call that a bogus excuse.  Would you want a movie reviewer to tell you whether or not to go see a film that they didn't bother watching fully themselves?  Would you trust a restaurant review if the author didn't stay long and ordered something they don't like but didn't bother to tell you those things in their review?  Why should we accept those excuses from game reviewers?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:10:54 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »

If that was the requirement, the first two Fallout games would be among the worst games ever.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 12:58:08 PM »

The only MMO review I have ever written was for LoTRO Mines of Moria (Awesome game by the way) and I played that game for almost 6 weeks before I wrote the review. Even then I felt like I was missing key parts of the game. So 9 hours is no where near enough time to judge an MMO in my opinion, let alone 2 hours.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 07, 2009, 08:36:40 AM

If that was the requirement, the first two Fallout games would be among the worst games ever.

Worse than either was the beginning portion of Baldur's Gate 2; Irenicus' dungeon of boredom.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:20:22 PM by Eightball » Logged
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 01:46:34 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 07, 2009, 02:00:44 AM

If I were to say which side I'd come down on, I'd have to doubt that the guy played nine hours when the server record said only three.

Normally I'd agree, but given the issues that this game's "launch" had and has continued to have, I wouldn't put much stock in their server records. slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 03:29:03 PM »

I like Eurogamer, always have.  But I know quite a few people that are convinced "they" review games (or print reviews of games) too early and/or without enough time invested.  This would just be one more example of this accusation.

I do think some sites "review" MMO's differently.  Isn't it Gamespy that does little 2 page "mini-but-not-full-review-type-things" where they will give thoughts and impressions before publishing a full fledged review?  Some site does that anyway....

At any rate, if I had invested this much time into making a game, and some review site as prominent as Eurogamer slammed it like that, you bet your ass I'd be all over finding out the details as to why.   

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 03:44:15 PM »

why would you send a carebear to play a pvp centric MMO?  I mean I dont dance ( hate it actually) so would you have me review Dance Dance Revolution? what do you think would be the results?
Gee bob you hate mexican food I know but hey, go review this new mexican restaurant.. yeah genius

I mean these sites and magazines are just getting incredibly lazy in their reviewing and they wonder why they are all dropping like flies.

I also love how concrete evidence like server logs is considered equal to some snot nosed reviewer who cries  and claims "but but I played like a whole 9 hours like". Even 9 hours is pathetic.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:48:08 PM by tcweidner » Logged

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »

Quote from: tcweidner on May 07, 2009, 03:44:15 PM

why would you send a carebear to play a pvp centric MMO?  I mean I dont dance ( hate it actually) so would you have me review Dance Dance Revolution? what do you think would be the results?
Gee bob you hate mexican food I know but hey, go review this new mexican restaurant.. yeah genius

What makes you think he's a carebear?  Not trying to defend the way he did his review but it seems pretty accurate from what I saw in the game during beta (I doubt those issue were fixed since beta, the problems are too fundamental).
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »

Darkfall is a pretty terrible game though. You don't need to play a minute of it to see that.

Also reviews are bullshit. Why anyone still cares about them is beyond me. there's enough forums out there to find the information you want from actual people.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 07:34:25 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 07, 2009, 06:51:33 PM

Darkfall is a pretty terrible game though. You don't need to play a minute of it to see that.

Also reviews are bullshit. Why anyone still cares about them is beyond me. there's enough forums out there to find the information you want from actual people.

Yeah, but you have to sift through a lot of garbage to get to that.  Also, if it's not here, I don't know the people, so how do I know if their opinions are to be trusted?  With a review site, I've got a track record to compare stuff to.  Also, in this economy, I can use somebody telling me a game is crap.  Gone are the days of just buying it anyway.

Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 01:58:17 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 07, 2009, 08:36:40 AM

I enjoyed the beginning of all 3 Fallout games (the first time through).  But, I do understand your point.  Still, 9 hours seems like a long time to play a miserable game, MMO or not.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 02:55:35 AM »

Except that it's a reviewer's job to play miserable games.  It's what he/she's paid for.

What Joystiq has started doing is instead of reviewing awful games that they can't stand playing is to write up what they're calling a JoyFail (I think).  It's a short description of the game, their impressions of it, how long they played before they stopped, and what made them stop playing.  They don't pass it off as a review, don't attach a score to it, and are very up front about not finishing it.  Seems like a good way to get the basics of the game across without writing a review of the game based on a partial playthrough.

Of course, Joystiq isn't primarily a review site, so if they stop playing a game because they don't like it, and don't wind up writing a review because of that, it's less of a big deal than if, say, IGN or Eurogamer were to do the same, since their entire reason for being is ostensibly to write previews and reviews.

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 10:06:02 AM »

His chat log is awesome, this is his last 14 min with the game :

"how do i cast spells....help"

“what do I do?”

“this game is awful”

and then went off.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:08:35 AM by Maggot » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 02:40:54 PM »

This whole thing is like getting someone to review one of the most classic of the modern adventure games, but they hate adventure games.  Let me see if I can find an example...Oh, here we go: http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1231  Really?  A coaster?

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 04:22:03 PM »

66% is a coaster?  That's harsh.

Steam profile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 09, 2009, 02:40:54 PM

This whole thing is like getting someone to review one of the most classic of the modern adventure games, but they hate adventure games.  Let me see if I can find an example...Oh, here we go: http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1231  Really?  A coaster?

It sounded to me like Mitch had some pretty valid reasons to bash it, and I didn't see anything that said he hated adventure games.  And when did Broken Sword become a "classic"?  I've always considered them to be overwrought bore-fests.  Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island...those are classics.

Except that it's a reviewer's job to play miserable games.  It's what he/she's paid for.

We get paid?  How come no one told me?!  slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 09, 2009, 05:36:04 PM

It sounded to me like Mitch had some pretty valid reasons to bash it, and I didn't see anything that said he hated adventure games.  And when did Broken Sword become a "classic"?  I've always considered them to be overwrought bore-fests.  Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island...those are classics.

YMMV and all that but I think Broken Sword 1 is absolutely considered a classic of the genre.  While I haven't played the Wii/DS update, I wholeheartedly disagree with Mitch's review based on playing the original PC and GBA versions. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 09, 2009, 02:40:54 PM

The "coaster" award is a throwback from ConsoleGold.com, and because of the existing dependancy on the site architecture, it won't be changed until the gradual upgrades are put in place. 66% by review standards in 2002 IS coaster-fare; the grading has become less OMG <90=crap so 66% is fair.

And as for getting someone who "hates adventure games" do you know that Mitch hates them? I can tell you, if you were to ask him about adventure games you're going to get an opinion on some of them that is positively glowing. Don't be thinking that just because he didn't like one game that this is new territory for him. He doesn't need me to defend him but it seems like you measure him with the same ruler that you accuse him of using for Broken Sword. Tongue

Speaking for myself: there's a reason *I* don't do adventure games often - I have very little contemporary exposure to them, and I'm not the first in line going me-me-me-me. We trudge through some tremendously crappy games, and often the better games are reviewed off our own purchases (for instance, Flower was something I bought ... and don't get started on 85% for controls!!) slywink I know that when I get a NEW game handed to me that is worth less used than a used platinum hits title, I make a significant effort to find the good in the game - someone green-lighted this title, and there is (often) years of work from the devs that was sunk into the game. I don't think any of us take that aspect of it lightly, but when it comes to personal taste, we are entitled (and encouraged) to share our opinion. nod
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:15:09 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »

Mostly I was being snarky.  I do know that you guys are mostly playing and reviewing games on your own, and everyone's entitled to their opinion.  But the coaster surprised the hell out of me.  As for his not liking adventure games, maybe I was being too general, but he pretty clearly has a thing against the Broken Sword series, which makes me wonder why he's reviewing it in the first place.

I haven't played the Wii update, but I have been cranking through the DS one, and it's been refreshingly entertaining.  If I had to pick a complaint, it's that everything is done in the past tense, which gives it a more literary bent, but it also takes away from the immediacy of the story. Still, it's just as good as I remember it being.  Holds up very well.  And, yes, it absolutely is a modern classic.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »

You know this whole issue is ridiculous.  What if the guy gave Darkfall an 8/10?  There wouldn't be a single word from anyone asking how many hours he played.  You seriously think a company who can't handle selling the freaking game in a realistic and stable fashion isn't going to fight tooth and nail to combat a poor review?

9 hours, 90 hours... at what point is enough, enough?  Is it fair to review WoW before making your first Nax run?  Is it ok to review an MMO at half the level cap...where do you draw the line.  It doesn't take 50 hours to determine that a control scheme is archaic, or that a UI is entirely non-intuitive and user unfriendly.  An MMO is about the journey, if it doesn't hook you in the first few hours, chances are it isn't going to ever hook you.  By it's nature all MMOs are treadmills....it doesn't really change much.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »

I agree that perhaps the server log could be off, but I doubt it. Six hours of play time disappearing is extremely unlikely. If the guy really had six hours of play "disappear", wouldn't there be lot of other complaints of players losing play time?

But there is zero evidence the guy played 9 hours. It really sounds like the guy played two and a half hours, hated what he saw, and just churned out a review based on that. From the sounds of it, he never even learned how to cast a spell. That's pretty embarrassing.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 09, 2009, 07:46:22 PM

You know this whole issue is ridiculous.  What if the guy gave Darkfall an 8/10?  There wouldn't be a single word from anyone asking how many hours he played.  You seriously think a company who can't handle selling the freaking game in a realistic and stable fashion isn't going to fight tooth and nail to combat a poor review?

9 hours, 90 hours... at what point is enough, enough?  Is it fair to review WoW before making your first Nax run?  Is it ok to review an MMO at half the level cap...where do you draw the line.  It doesn't take 50 hours to determine that a control scheme is archaic, or that a UI is entirely non-intuitive and user unfriendly.  An MMO is about the journey, if it doesn't hook you in the first few hours, chances are it isn't going to ever hook you.  By it's nature all MMOs are treadmills....it doesn't really change much.

I'm not sure when enough is enough for a review, but it's one thing to say that, as an individual, if I don't get hooked in the first few hours, I'll never get hooked.  It's another to pass judgment on the game as a whole based on that same limited play experience in a review.  Yeah, it's arbitrary, but I can tell you that two hours is more than enough for Joe Gamer to decide if he likes a game, but it's not enough for Joe Reviewer.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 09:56:50 PM »

Arkon, normally I'd be saying what you're saying.  But what got me about this particular case was how the DF players were proving point by point that Zitron's claims in the review were just plain wrong.  Not a difference of opinion.  Wrong.  And of course, the evidence - albeit mostly hearsay - is stacking up against him every day.  I'm siding with those who say he must have logged on, pissed about for a couple of hours without even reading the manual, and that was that.  Christ knows the review wasn't very detailed.

Steam profile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 09, 2009, 05:47:27 PM

Quote from: Gratch on May 09, 2009, 05:36:04 PM

YMMV and all that but I think Broken Sword 1 is absolutely considered a classic of the genre.  While I haven't played the Wii/DS update, I wholeheartedly disagree with Mitch's review based on playing the original PC and GBA versions. 

As is absolutely your right and everyone else's to disagree with any of our reviews and such. We're expressing opinions as critics. I've played the game extensively and I kept falling asleep due to a combination of completely over-blown writing (seriously, did George need to ramble on at length about things unrelated to the cafe that just blew up NEXT TO HIS HEAD? I think not.), lame puzzles, poor controls, and generally uninteresting storyline or characters. I love adventure games, but wish more of them attained the level of the genuine classics (and I keep forgetting to drop in "The Longest Journey" and "Syberia" (this one remains a personal taste) in my list of great ones). That being said, I think the "Broken Sword" games suck a mountain of ass. I always give games the benefit of the doubt when reviewing (or even just playing) and this series is no exception. This game I hadn't played before so I hoped it would be good.

Nope.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: