http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:13:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Euro Truck Simulator 2  (Read 6919 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 03:47:08 AM »

Changing the view to help backing up into the parking spots works wonders. I never "enter" park now. Gotta get all the bonus exp I can. I still don't have my own truck.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 06:19:57 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 10, 2013, 03:47:08 AM

Changing the view to help backing up into the parking spots works wonders. I never "enter" park now. Gotta get all the bonus exp I can. I still don't have my own truck.

tried that, but I kept oversteering.  of course I was using the top down camera (3) but it didn't occur to me to try the others.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 10:47:56 PM »

heh, tried different cameras and I failed harder than I did with just the top down view.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 05:12:52 AM »

For those still awake and looking to do some relaxing driving in ETS2, EKR Rock Radio (about one third of the way down the internet radio list in the game) is doing the top 25 trucking songs as voted by their listeners. Number 24 is "Drive On" by someone (I didn't catch it). I might stay awake to listen all the way down to number 1... or I may not make it  icon_confused

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 05:15:33 AM »

LOL, I was just coming to post about my new favorite station:  80s Music HotMixRadio - FR.  right now I'm driving to Bern rocking out to the Clash biggrin

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 05:20:08 AM »

#23 is "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin. Nice choice.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 05:41:02 AM »

I almost forgot-  thanks JZ for bringing this game to light.  if you hadn't started posting pics and talking about it I'd have just skipped it as another truck sim, but this is beating out Skyrim and AssCreed 3 right now for my playtime.

on a humorous note, I ran into my first railway crossing tonight.  Literally.  I was storming across Poland like the Wehrmacht when I suddenly noticed a pair of gates closing in front of me.  seeing as I was going about 90 KM/H I had no chance to stop-  too bad the dev's made the gates indestructible  icon_lol

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:27 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 12, 2013, 05:41:02 AM

I almost forgot-  thanks JZ for bringing this game to light.  if you hadn't started posting pics and talking about it I'd have just skipped it as another truck sim, but this is beating out Skyrim and AssCreed 3 right now for my playtime.

on a humorous note, I ran into my first railway crossing tonight.  Literally.  I was storming across Poland like the Wehrmacht when I suddenly noticed a pair of gates closing in front of me.  seeing as I was going about 90 KM/H I had no chance to stop-  too bad the dev's made the gates indestructible  icon_lol

You're welcome  icon_biggrin

Wow, I haven't seen any railway crossings yet. It's off to Poland I go!

#20 on the countdown is "Radar Love" by Golden Earring, another excellent choice. To celebrate I put a new paint job on the truck:

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 06:55:23 AM »

Forza Horizon has nothing on this game slywink

I drove from Munchen to Praha direct. There's a very squiggly road between them. And I did it with just the tractor, no trailer, an 820hp Volvo. And with the mod I posted above (Realistic Physics) using the "no limiter" mod file so I wasn't limited to 90kph. I lost count of how many crash and wrong way penalties I accumulated, but it was fun.

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 11:05:05 PM »

50% off at GMG and also work with 20% off code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS. Final price is $12 and it is the Steam version.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/id/en/pc/games/simulation/euro-truck-simulator-2/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 05:45:59 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on February 12, 2013, 06:55:23 AM

Forza Horizon has nothing on this game slywink

I drove from Munchen to Praha direct. There's a very squiggly road between them. And I did it with just the tractor, no trailer, an 820hp Volvo. And with the mod I posted above (Realistic Physics) using the "no limiter" mod file so I wasn't limited to 90kph. I lost count of how many crash and wrong way penalties I accumulated, but it was fun.

I think I remember that part.  it sucked having to go uphill  crybaby

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2013, 01:44:15 AM »

I just discovered the Scaling options. Pumped those up to 400% (I was running at 100%). Wow the game looks even more amazing - almost photorealstic in parts. Particularly things in the distance, like buildings, and the rear view mirrors are crystal clear. The game is playable on my rig at this but definitly cuts down on the smoothness which you notice when turning. But wow. I'll have to play with the other scaling modes but can see upping it to 400% for certain routes.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2013, 02:28:15 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on February 19, 2013, 01:44:15 AM

I just discovered the Scaling options. Pumped those up to 400% (I was running at 100%). Wow the game looks even more amazing - almost photorealstic in parts. Particularly things in the distance, like buildings, and the rear view mirrors are crystal clear. The game is playable on my rig at this but definitly cuts down on the smoothness which you notice when turning. But wow. I'll have to play with the other scaling modes but can see upping it to 400% for certain routes.

dang, never noticed that option there before.  Upped it to 400% and haven't noticed a hit; of course my first run with it up like that starts out in the middle of a rain storm.  once things clear up I should have a better idea of how well it works.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 04:26:01 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 19, 2013, 02:28:15 AM

Quote from: Crawley on February 19, 2013, 01:44:15 AM

dang, never noticed that option there before.  Upped it to 400% and haven't noticed a hit; of course my first run with it up like that starts out in the middle of a rain storm.  once things clear up I should have a better idea of how well it works.

I can do 300% without any lag so keeping it at that. Doesn't look quite as crisp in some areas but still an improvement than what it was at before.

Finally dipped in and got a bank loan and got my first truck and did my first delivery. I was just doing the single runs before. So took awhile to figure out that I had to actually drive to the business location to get the job. So drove a long way to the location and then had to drive all the way back - at night by then. Still was able to make it and not have any damage and even backed up my trailer and unhitched it for extra experience.

Then I had to find a place to sleep. I couldn't figure out the GPS for keying in the nearest hotel so had to drive around till I found one. Is there a way to mark that location on the map? How about my garage? Not sure I can find it without setting the GPS.

Hoping they add some additonal realism to the game. Like hitting cars causes a delay, a cost and x number of accidents can mean additonal fines. Also wish the market was more fluid where jobs are not just waiting out there for you and can get gobbled up by competition. But really enjoying it so far for what it is.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 02:58:08 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on February 19, 2013, 04:26:01 AM

Then I had to find a place to sleep. I couldn't figure out the GPS for keying in the nearest hotel so had to drive around till I found one. Is there a way to mark that location on the map? How about my garage? Not sure I can find it without setting the GPS.

There are hotels in every city, but you don't have to sleep there, you can also sleep at gas stations, repair facilities and rest stops on the major roads, just look for the bed symbol on the map.

You can always find your garages by using your company manager screen, selecting garage management (or whatever it's called) and selecting map view.

And sadly, no, there is no way to mark the map. Darn icon_frown

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2013, 08:06:52 PM »

Moved out of my comfort zone in my starting area in Italy and took a delivery to Switzerland. Much nicer scenery than I was seeing before. Ended up doing great until I got in to Zurich where for some reason I kept hitting the raised curbs. I ended up doing a bunch of damage to my tuck. I then had great stroke of luck with backing my trailer in to a real tight spot on the first attempt - couldn't believe it. Got an Excellent rating for the run but it cost about 3,000 Euros to fully repair my truck which was basically half the profit.

Feeling adventurous I took another run and decided to head from Zurich to somewhere in France. I was pumped and enjoying the pretty scenery when I realized I totally missed a turn! I headed a bit further down and the GPS picked an alternative road I could take. It worked out well since it was pretty scenic although not the highway. In fact at one point the road got pretty rural where for a stretch the center line wasn't painted for a stretch.

I was going alone fine, kinda spacing out listening to a classic rock station from Munich, when I realized I had just missed another turn! This time the GPS didn't auto-correct. It just kept showing that I needed to head in the opposite direction. So I had to guess where to go and took the first exit I could. It was a bad choice as it put me on a highway heading East. I was driving further away from where I needed to be. After driving quite awhile I started to get that anxious feeling you get when you get lost in real life. But nothing I could do so I just kept driving along. An exit eventually came up and thankfully it was one where I could switch over to the other side of the highway. The GPS became helpful once again and I was able to head back and make the delivery. But I was late and got docked some cash and experience.

Probably going to head back to Switzerland and keep in that area some before moving on. But yeah this game is really grabbing hold of me now. It basically Privateer or Elite on wheels without the story elements.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 09:29:50 PM »

I'm always on the lookout for more classic rock stations. Which station was it?

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2013, 02:46:41 PM »

What kind of controller have folks been using? I sold my old old Microsoft wheel a long time ago and have been using a wireless xbox360 controller as an alternate to keyboard and mouse. I'm wondering if the xbox360 controller is adequate for this game, if folks are getting by with keyboard and mouse or if most are using some kind of wheel.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »

I'm using my xbox 360 controller and it's working fine so far.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2013, 04:26:16 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on February 23, 2013, 03:21:35 PM

Ditto that for me.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »

I've been using mouse+keyboard. I'll have to give the controller a whirl.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2013, 07:33:09 PM »

mouse and keyboard here too.

Because I can,
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on February 23, 2013, 03:21:35 PM

Yeah, xbox360 controller works really well.  I still use the keyboard to access things like my lights and turn signals and things.

I bought the game last weekend at GMG when it was on sale.  I now took out a $400K loan, upgraded my garage, bought two more trucks and I now have two drivers working for me!!!

Too bad I can't assign routes to them
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »

Quote from: lex on February 23, 2013, 09:01:04 PM

Yeah, xbox360 controller works really well.  I still use the keyboard to access things like my lights and turn signals and things.

I bought the game last weekend at GMG when it was on sale.  I now took out a $400K loan, upgraded my garage, bought two more trucks and I now have two drivers working for me!!!

Too bad I can't assign routes to them

I've assigned a few buttons that I use frequently to the controller's buttons and I hardly ever need to switch to keyboard now, except when I'm in management screen or in map screen.

I found that they do a pretty good job of finding their own routes and jobs. As you upgrade their skills, they'll get better paying jobs since they'll have more choices.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »

I find myself fighting the analog stick sometimes on my controller. Been playing around with the sensitivity and non-linearity settings. Anyone find a setting they like?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »

Don't have any time at all to play games atm but would love to see how my Fanatech CSR wheel and pedals would be in this one.  May bite the bullet and give it a shot.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2013, 11:19:14 PM »

Quote from: raydude on February 24, 2013, 06:28:05 PM

I find myself fighting the analog stick sometimes on my controller. Been playing around with the sensitivity and non-linearity settings. Anyone find a setting they like?

I have my sensitivity and non-linearity at half (I'm still not sure what non-linearity does).  I've also spent a lot of time setting a good deadzone setting for your steering axis. 

The hardest thing I find is having the settings just right so I can make very fine adjustments when I'm driving to keep in the lane

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2013, 04:23:35 AM »

13hrs in and still loving the game. Found a very help feature which was Cruise Control (C on the keyboard by default). Beats holding down the forward key for the majority of the drive. Especially now that I'm doing very long drives.

I paid off my initial 100k loan and took out a 400k loan to upgrade my garage, buy another truck, and hire my first employee - Katarina. Even colored the truck pink for her. But man does she stink initially. Cost me some money the first two jobs. But she's getting better and her jobs are slowly bringing in some cash. Her last one brought in 1K which was a nice change from her 60s and 130s. I'm epecting good things from her when she gets a bit more training.

I have to say the best experiene I had from this game - there have been many - was that initial time where I said fuck it and took a job outside of my comfort zone well away from my garage. I went deeper in to Europe and despite a lot of initial hesitation I haven't looked back. I've been exploring the European roads since. Getting to the UK was probably the next biggest shock as I was not used to driving on the other side of the road nor the roundabouts which still seem crazy to me. Way out of my comfort zone there. But the jobs going to and from the UK paid so well I kept doing them - plus getting some sleep on the ferry is always nice. The other great moment is finally figuring out how to back your trailer in. Now when I'm delivering its like, Ok I have to pull in this way so the trailer will be angled like so, reverse, turn the wheel this way, then that way, pull up a little, back in, done. Always a great feeling when you can park it in one shot.

I'm pretty much sticking to two radio stations now for 60-80s music which are Veronica Rock in NL and Linz - Rock Life. I dunno what it is with those stations though as they keep playing REO Speedwagons "Can't Fight This Feeling" and The Hooters "Johnny B" waaaay too often. They're painful to listen to.

Really hope Steam allows for the Workshop to work with this game. I haven't tried any of the mods since they seem like a scattered mess at the moment.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2013, 02:34:56 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 03, 2013, 04:23:35 AM

Really hope Steam allows for the Workshop to work with this game. I haven't tried any of the mods since they seem like a scattered mess at the moment.

that would be awesome.  I've only glanced at mods so far, but then again I've also been busy with other games and really haven't fired this up lately.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »

The original game just went up at Steam.  Normal price will be $8.99, currently -20% at $7.19.

Per wiki, it contains Portugal and Spain, which are not in 2.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2013, 02:56:00 AM »

Just bought ETS2 from the Indie sale, $19.99.  I played the demo to its conclusion in one sitting, and was ipressed enough to make it my first game purchase in a long time that was over $10.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2013, 06:18:19 PM »

I'm still playing it off and on. It's still surprisingly fun. Working on paying off my 400k loan so I can take out a 500k one for another employee and a new truck. I think I've hit all the countries in some form but still plenty of roads I haven't traveled.

Had a spooky delivery a bit ago where I hauled a JCB to a quarry of some sort. I got there late at night and it was raining to boot. Driving in there and down in to the depths of the quarry was like something out of a horror movie.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2013, 03:15:32 AM »

This has been quiet for awhile, but there is a new 1.4 patch coming out soon. In the meantime, I wanted to pass along this pretty useful graphics download and presets list from this link. Apparently there's a graphics modifier called SweetFX, which is at version 1.4, and has been adapted for Euro Truck Simulator 2. I installed the files (which do not overwrite any existing files) and am using the mod without any of the changes noted in the article and even then I can see a definite improvement. And it can be enabled and disabled easily from within the game.

I'm downloading the new 1.41 ETS2 beta patch and giving it a whirl. I'll post on how everything works.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2013, 03:52:28 AM »

The 1.41 beta seems to work fine with the above mentioned SweetFX. Here I am heading off on another job... in the rain of course! At least I can listen to my EKR Rock Radio from the UK, it helps to pass the time.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2013, 01:08:20 AM »

Quick breaking (or braking icon_biggrin) news! Euro Truck Simulator 2 is on an eight hour Steam Flash sale for only $9.99 USD! Sale ends in just under eight hours!

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2013, 02:22:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 10, 2013, 10:47:56 PM

heh, tried different cameras and I failed harder than I did with just the top down view.

Sissies. I back up all my loads using just the cab view. In fact that is the only view I ever use.     ninja2
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2013, 02:32:44 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 03, 2013, 04:23:35 AM

13hrs in and still loving the game. Found a very help feature which was Cruise Control (C on the keyboard by default). Beats holding down the forward key for the majority of the drive. Especially now that I'm doing very long drives.

I paid off my initial 100k loan and took out a 400k loan to upgrade my garage, buy another truck, and hire my first employee - Katarina. Even colored the truck pink for her. But man does she stink initially. Cost me some money the first two jobs. But she's getting better and her jobs are slowly bringing in some cash. Her last one brought in 1K which was a nice change from her 60s and 130s. I'm epecting good things from her when she gets a bit more training.

I have to say the best experiene I had from this game - there have been many - was that initial time where I said fuck it and took a job outside of my comfort zone well away from my garage. I went deeper in to Europe and despite a lot of initial hesitation I haven't looked back. I've been exploring the European roads since. Getting to the UK was probably the next biggest shock as I was not used to driving on the other side of the road nor the roundabouts which still seem crazy to me. Way out of my comfort zone there. But the jobs going to and from the UK paid so well I kept doing them - plus getting some sleep on the ferry is always nice. The other great moment is finally figuring out how to back your trailer in. Now when I'm delivering its like, Ok I have to pull in this way so the trailer will be angled like so, reverse, turn the wheel this way, then that way, pull up a little, back in, done. Always a great feeling when you can park it in one shot.

I'm pretty much sticking to two radio stations now for 60-80s music which are Veronica Rock in NL and Linz - Rock Life. I dunno what it is with those stations though as they keep playing REO Speedwagons "Can't Fight This Feeling" and The Hooters "Johnny B" waaaay too often. They're painful to listen to.

Make sure you go into driver manager and select what area they should train in. Otherwise it give a little to each and that sucks. I usually focus on distance and high value first. If you do the hazardous cargo make sure to have at least one level of fragile as some of the hazardous loads are also fragile.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:48 AM »

Now that I'm in the UK, I need a new right hand drive truck. This should do the trick.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »

Waiting for Oculus support to pick this back up... rumored to be coming native to the game in a future patch. Here's hoping!

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2013, 06:21:09 AM »

picked this up primarily so I could revisit Warsaw in game.  of course, that meant that it wasn't in game.  I did find a mod though and will try playing with that one before I get too far into it.  wonder how many map mods you can use in game at one time.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: