http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 04:06:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey IV  (Read 319 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:31:20 PM »

Is there really not a thread on this?  I figured at least a few people around here would be playing it.  

Anyways, I'm headed out of town next week and figured I should actually use this new 3DS I bought.  I have avoided this series since the first game due to the brutal difficulty, but reading about the new "casual mode" that was more accessible got me interested.  Picked it up last night and put in an hour or so before bed.  Liking what I see so far.

Curious what party makeup folks would recommend.  I went with the Landshark, Fortress, Sniper, Medic, and Dancer, but am thinking about maybe switching that up (the Dancer seems rather useless, at least at early levels).  Any input from those who are playing would certainly be helpful, TIA.  smile

EDIT:  I'm a doofus...please move to the portable forum.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:27:56 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 05:57:37 AM »

I've really been enjoying it.  I've played EO2 and EO3, but never got very far before being pulled away by something else.  With the early introduction of the world map and graphical update, EO4 has kept my interest better than the earlier games.  It's also nice to know I can switch to casual mode at any time if things get too tough.  My party is Fortress/Nightseeker/Dancer in the front row and Medic/Runemaster in the back.

Also, Atlus just annouced that they're remaking the first Etrian Odyssey with an increased focus on characters and story.  The game will have set characters, but you'll still be able to change their classes.  Hopefully, they'll also upgrade the graphics to EO4 level.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »

The reason I like the Dancer is that her abilities effectively let you select a stance for your party.  Facing off against lots of guys?  Use the one that gives you free counter-attacks for every attack they do.  One big guy with lots of defense?  Perform the Attack Tango to maximize your damage output.  It makes your whole group a lot more versatile, and she's no slouch in the direct damage department herself.

-Autistic Angel
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 06:00:23 AM »

Haven't been playing ANYTHING on my 3DS. I got started with Layton when it came out. Think I got a couple of hours into it...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: