http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 06:28:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eternal Darkness: what a cool game!  (Read 2731 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2005, 01:57:04 AM »

I recently ordered Eternal Darkness (new, sealed, $16) off ebay and have just started it.  I'm about 2 hours in so far and I'm very impressed.

I can't believe this started life as a N64 game!  The graphics are very nicely done, obviously reworked heavily to take advantage of the GameCube.  The combat so far is quite manageable.  I'm sure it gets harder as the game progresses but thus far I like the system.

And the plot!  Wow and very cool is all I'll say about this.  As a big HP Lovecraft fan I'm loving the story.

Any hints/tips for a newbie as I get started on this?  Does it stay this good till the end?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 02:36:59 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Does it stay this good till the end?

Hell yes! (link goes to my review, which is still  posted on the bottom of Silicon Knights' website of all things)

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 03:24:14 AM »

This is one of the best games on the Gamecube.  People complain about a lack of "adult" games on the GC, yet when gems like this are released, no one seems to buy them.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 03:50:26 AM »

The best game on the cube, bar none.
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 03:53:47 AM »

the insanity effects freaked me out man!!!  I don't think I ever finished that game tho frown

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 05:13:09 AM »

And for added fun, make sure you keep your sanity level right near the breaking point. The game gets VERY freaky when you do it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 05:18:37 AM »

Excellent game indeed and the one I enjoyed most on the Cube, too.
Grue
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 05:36:45 AM »

Until the release of Resident Evil 4, it was easily the scariest game on the Cube.

You're in for a treat.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 06:40:22 AM »

Yes and if you ever get sick of it and want to trade it off, let me know.  :wink:

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 11:35:57 AM »

The game only gets better as you play more, and as you gain more spells. Should be a required purchase for any GameCube owner.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 12:30:59 PM »

I chose the green path which apparently means I lose sanity quicker.  It's been low but never ran out yet.  It won't take too long though.

This game is freaky.  The centurion-skeleton guy gives me the willies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 01:19:26 PM »

Seriously, stop it.  I don't need anything else to play right now.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 03:13:14 PM »

oh, yeah, one of my favorite games ever on any system.  but... i know i can't be the only one who started the game not knowing about the insanity thing!  i must have reset the game four times before i figured out that something was going on - other than glitching, LOL.

Warning, i'd give you some hints if i remembered any! the good thing about my memory is that i'll be able to replay the game some day as if it were brand new.  in the meantime, if anyone wants to borrow it, i'd be glad to send it to you.  as a matter of fact, i'm not sure why more people don't borrow/ swap games here.  sent in a jewel case, it would be about a buck and a quarter to mail first class - cheaper than renting.  

RightBastard, email me with your address if you'd like to borrow it, i won't be replaying it any time soon, so you can take your time with it - no late fees!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 06:39:12 PM »

One of my favorite games EVER, and reason enough on its own why the cube rules!!!! smile

Have a blast! Remember if you win on all 3 colors you get the "final" ending. smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 09:32:17 PM »

Choosing the green path is the better choice for your first run through. Then, apparently, blue is for number two, and red for the third.

Eternal Darkness is one of the few games that I showed to my non-gamer buddy that impressed him. I'd told him about the insanity effects and wanted him to see what I meant. Intentionally getting worked in the game, I started to sink into the ground as blood ran down the walls, people wailed in the background, and flies scuttled across the screen. His response, eyes wide: "Dude, that's fucked up."

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 09:56:11 PM »

I saw somewhere that the game takes about 30 hours to finish but then I had read in Loren's review that it's around 13-15.  Is it 30 with replays or does it really take that long?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 09:59:48 PM »

It's been a while.  I'd say the 30 is going through 3 times in order to see the "Ultimate" Ending (you choose a different magik color every time).  Whether you choose to go through 2 more times though is up to you.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 10:21:39 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I saw somewhere that the game takes about 30 hours to finish but then I had read in Loren's review that it's around 13-15.  Is it 30 with replays or does it really take that long?

Its been a few years so I can't remember specifically, but I remember that it was plenty long with lots of content (long enough that I didn't feel up to replaying it for the other endings despite the overall excellence of the game).
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 09:27:55 AM »

The IGN review said 20 hours each time for experienced gamers.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2005, 04:35:27 AM »

Damn you people, I picked it up this afternoon.  It was $12 used but $45 new at Gamecrazy.  Thought the new price was awfully strange for such an old game.

Put in about an hour, and it's pretty cool so far.  I'm not much into survival horror, but the story of this one at least has me interested.  Will hopefully be able to give it some more time tomorrow.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 05:10:10 AM »

not worth a new thread, but here is some old concept art that has resurfaced for the game.  it's mostly from endings that didn't make it into the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 08:23:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 15, 2011, 05:10:10 AM

not worth a new thread, but here is some old concept art that has resurfaced for the game.  it's mostly from endings that didn't make it into the game.

As usual, I read several posts before I noticed the time-stamp.  Oh, well, maybe it will help convince someone to give this superb game a try!

It was so much fun to read the old posts, that I read the whole thread - and looked at the "endings art" - thanks for the link, CeeKay.  Although the art didn't bring back any memories for me (probably that part is all me), it was still cool to look at. I DO remember loving the game, it's characters , graphics and immersive factor... and being freaked out by the insanity and the jump-out-of-your-socks moments.

So, if you haven't played this game, it's a bit like never playing a single FF game, or Zelda - though not as well know, Eternal Darkness is one of the best games I've ever played.  So, if you don't have it, go get it and maybe we can help it to become a well-known buried treasure, like Ico.  Let the Forum Effect begin!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 09:19:38 PM »

LOL,i thought this was a new thread as well,i was about to say(which i will say now)i still have the Prima Guide but can't for the life of me remember playing the game,but the sticker on front of the Prima Guide says it was half price when i bought the game with it so i must of played it at some point

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 11:40:13 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on February 15, 2011, 08:23:11 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 15, 2011, 05:10:10 AM

So, if you haven't played this game, it's a bit like never playing a single FF game, or Zelda - though not as well know, Eternal Darkness is one of the best games I've ever played.  So, if you don't have it, go get it and maybe we can help it to become a well-known buried treasure, like Ico.  Let the Forum Effect begin!

icon_razz

I *actually* have a copy of this game. Bought it back in the day.. and *never played it*  icon_surprised I still have it in a box somewhere. Still have my Gamecube. I think I need to hook up my Gamecube one of these Spring weekends and give it a go for a few hours.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 11:59:19 PM »

Despite a titanic backlog of unplayed console games, I may have to go for playthrough #6 or #7 once I finish Uncharted 2. I guess it's been around 4 years since I last played it. Man this game is so freaking awesome.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Trink
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »

I've played this game multiple times as well.  I went through each time picking the different gods,  I recently brought it back out and played it through my Wii.  For me as well as for GF's older son who was interested in it as well.

Great game.  Graphics might be a bit dated at this point but it goes to show you that a good story and good gameplay can make a game a great play for a long time..smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 06:10:23 PM »

Like PR_GMR I own a copy of the game but haven't gotten around to play it beyond fiddling around with the very beginning.  I probably should fix that.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 16, 2011, 06:10:23 PM

Like PR_GMR I own a copy of the game but haven't gotten around to play it beyond fiddling around with the very beginning.  I probably should fix that.

Yes, you and PR_GMR  definitely should since you have the game already - and if enough other people start playing it, maybe start an Impressions thread.  Or bring the old one back from the dead, if there is one.

I guarantee you will love this game, all you've got to do is start playing!

nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 04:44:41 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 16, 2011, 06:10:23 PM

Well, count me in that same club.  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 05:27:30 AM »

I guess I can stop feeling bad about only completing it once, not three times for the 'true' ending.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: