http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 11:26:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Essential Xbox games?  (Read 1700 times)
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2005, 06:42:07 PM »

I bought an Xbox a while ago for Halo and found out that I didn't really care for the game, so it has been collecting dust for the past few years. Today, I decided I'll move it right next to my PC and play it when I can't find something else to play.

So, considering I only own 5 games for it, I'm wanting suggestions.

My biggest criteria is that it has to be older. I don't want to rush out and pay $50 for a game, I want games that have gone down in price. Anything else goes (Any genre).

I already own:

Halo
Halo 2
Splinter Cell
Fuzion Frenzy
Spy Hunter

If I added a sig, would you read it?
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 07:33:27 PM »

Well, not really knowing what you prefer... I'll just list my all-time favorites:

Morrowind (get the Game of the Year Version), open ended "action RPG", choose magic, stealth, swords, etc;  
Halo - really, try it again, it's stupendous;
Arx Fatalis, dungeon crawling, slightly open-ended, vaguely similar to M'wind;  
Silent Hill 2, survival horror;  
Doom 3, FPS, spooky scary - if you're not a great player, don't choose too                              hard of a difficulty level - a little new, may be too expensive for you now;  
Chronicles of Riddick, great game, but with long savepoints in some areas in the console version - have to play past them or you start over way back;  
Knights of the Old Republic, as close to action RPG as you can get with still a turn-based system, fantastic game;
Deus Ex, sci-fi shooter with slight rpg elements;
Thief, if you don't mind stealth (where you can still kill people tho', not like Splinter Cell), and like the castles-and-arrows look;
Max Payne, has annoying sections but a fun game nonetheless;
Oddworld, Munch's Oddysee - platformy if you don't mind that, it's great;

There are likely a lot more that I've forgotten, but someone will chime in with them, I'm sure.  When you're looking for deals, remember to check the sticky "Everyone's List of Games - All Traders Welcome" on the Trading Forum,  and Steals and Deals... you might be surprised how much you could get for how little!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 08:49:18 PM »

Strategy: Dai Senryaku VII   $20
(The best turn-based strategy games of the modern consoles.)  

Horror: Fatal Frame II   $35
(An amazing game dripping with atmosphere. The Xbox version gives you the ability to play in first person mode- the definitive play style)  

Action: Chronicles of Riddick and Otogi/Otogi II    $20
(CoR is a wonderful blend of stealth and FPS elements, wrappped around a solid story and some of the best graphics on the xbox.  Otogi is a third person hack-and-slash game with amazing personality)

RPG: Jade Empire  $39
(I'm recommending this one because its a departure from the standard fantasy/sci-fi environments. It has lots of dialogue, so if that isn't your style shy away from this game and grab KotOR or Fable)

and finally......

Deathrow. Just go get this one. It will take some patience to understand, but it is an amazing, fabulous, super-extrordinary xtreme sports game.  $20
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 08:58:38 PM »

Phantom Dust - $20 ... it's a card game but not. Super addictive, it's even better on Live. YOu gotta give the game at least 5 hours to start to truly appreciate the balance in gameplay. The only thing "funny" about it is the non-game dialog and graphics.

Dynasty Warriors 4 - Buy it used, have a blast. Faster load times, tons of replayability: it's can truly be an entertaining  action beat-em-up with RPG-lite elements, and 40+ playable characters.

Kingdom under Fire : Crusaders - See Dynasty warriors, add elements of strategy and troop combat into the mix.

Burnout 3 is now a platinum hit. Get it. No questions. It's a full-contact racing game. Soooo addictive, so much fun. I'm not a huge racing fan either.

If you've not played the GTA series, you can pick up the first couple for cheap used. Better gfx than the PS2 version, not a bad way to kill 150 hours.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 09:04:13 PM »

Mercenaries. Absolute must-own. Ditto Chronicles of Riddick that despite the sometime lengthy times between save points, is an absolute awesome game. I hear good things about Jade Empire but haven't played it yet.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 09:52:13 PM »

I would suggest Burnout 3, Crimson Skies, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Beyond Good &Evil.  All these games are <$20.

DrJones
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 09:53:30 PM »

The following games should be purchased if you have not/cannot for whatever reason play them on the PC. I recommend PC first though:
KOTOR
KOTOR2
Chronicles of Riddick
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

You must own these XBox exclusives:
Mechassault
Jade Empire
Mechassault 2 (when it price drops a bit)
Crimson Skies

I'll be back when I think of more.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 12:40:45 AM »

I'll add:
Voodoo Vince
Any of the ESPN games.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 12:47:31 AM »

How good are the Mech Assault games if you're not planning to play on Live?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 02:11:52 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
How good are the Mech Assault games if you're not planning to play on Live?

The first one is a steal since you can get it at like 15 bucks and the campaign is really superb. THe campaign in the second is shorter, sillier, and a bit wonkier, but still tremendous fun until the silly last mission-still recommended as soon as it hits 20ish bucks.
Cyrano
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 05:02:03 AM »

DrJones knows what he's talking about. Those are exactly my favorites too.

And Psychonauts.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 12:46:29 PM »

I'm really surprised that no one has suggested Ninja Gaiden yet. IMO, it's one of the best titles out for the xbox. The initial difficulty is tricky, but once you get into the game, it's excellent.

If you're even remotely interested in CCGs, Phantom Dust is a steal.

Burnout 3. Another must have for the xbox library.

If you can find it (and if you can, it'll most likely be at a bargain price) Metal Arms is a great, fun run and gun game. Ditto Psi Ops, though I think Psi Ops is in the $15-20 range.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 12:50:58 PM »

Another vote for Burnout 3, Thief, and Beyond Good & Evil, & KotOR.

I'd also add:

-  Baldurs Gate:  Dark Alliance
-  NBA Street V2
-  Fable (as long as you go in expecting a fun hack-n-slash, not an 'epic' RPG)
-  Sudeki (see Fable)
-  Star Wars:  Republic Commando

Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 06:10:18 PM »

I decided to go a tad bit more expensive than what I was planning and picked up Jade Empire. I loved Bioware's RPGs on the PC, so I figured I'd give their Xbox RPG a go.

The guy asked me if I wanted to buy a GameStop card, I told him no because I don't really play the Xbox very often and that I'm more of a computer guy...

"DID YOU HEAR THE SPECS ON THE NEW XBOX?!" (Yeah, I heard them when you told the last customer)

I just prefer PC games, I can't play Battlefield 2 on an Xbox, atleast not to the same scale as the PC version.

"WELL, THE NEXT GENERATION CONSOLES CAN PLAY MP WITH 60 OR MORE PLAYERZ@!"

That's great.

I just know he's one of those guys that instantly came in his pants the minute they announced the specs on the new systems, launched IM and told all his friends (even the non-gamers), then called the rest up, and went into work later that day and told everyone about it.

CONSOLES ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN PEECEES!

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 06:44:16 PM »

Quote from: "DrJones"
I would suggest Burnout 3, Crimson Skies, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Beyond Good &Evil.  All these games are <$20.

DrJones

That is is perfect.

My favorite Xbox games, in order.

1)  ESPN Football

2)  Halo (1 and 2)

3) Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

4) Burnout 3

5) Beyond Good & Evil

Wake up.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 07:00:45 PM »

Get the GTA Double-Pack.  The XBox's advanced hardware makes you feel like you're playing the games for the first time again.

And if you've never played GTA3 or GTA:VC, well damn boy, hop to it!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: