http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 02:32:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN College Hoops 2k5 - Impressions  (Read 8954 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2004, 07:02:27 AM »

OK.  So first impressions are exactly that, right?  Quick, first thoughts of a game.  Impressions when you obviously haven't checked out everything, probably not even 50% of everything that a game has to offer.  In sports games, probably even less than that.  Keep all that in mind as I post my initial thoughts.

This may be the BEST basketball game ever made for any system, anywhere, and at anytime.

I am exhausted, and need to go to bed.  But I will post more Friday afternoon for those interested.

Driver, Eco, and the rest of you that were looking forward to this game... Look Out!  I think it may just make you crap your pants.  There is so much that feels and plays right, I'm not sure I can fit it all in.  

As usual, the oh-so-familiar disclaimer:  Let's hope it continues to hold it's head up.  If it does, we may have Sports Game of the Year here.

More later.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 08:32:30 AM »

I agree. I've been playing it all night and I think that it just may be the best basketball video game ever. The on-court play is better than NBA 2K5. The legacy mode, which I've barely scratched the surface of, is deep and FUN. One tight game.

Having more fun already than I had with any other sports game this year.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 01:43:32 PM »

Are there online leagues/tournaments?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 02:11:03 PM »

Can more than one person be in a dynasty at one time?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 04:50:43 PM »

Online Leagues/Tournaments - Yes to both!!!

# of People in Dynasty - Maybe 4.  Not positive.

--  --  --  --

O.K.  I am better equipped to endorse this game based on more playtime.  Some things you will notice right off the bat if you pick it up:

1.  There are 5 basic difficulty modes, with sliders out the wazoo if you want to get specific.

2.  You will actually, are you sitting down....  Go to the foul line this year!  You heard me right.  Just for kicks, I upped 3 of the 4 foul sliders because I had heard they needed some tweaking.  There are 20 ticks up and down from center on the foul sliders, and I moved Loose Ball, Charge, and Shooting Fouls all up 10 ticks.  I have gone to the line so much, it makes me want to cry for joy!  

3.  There are 3 basic game speeds, with a slider for both CPU and Player to adjust overall speed of the players, so you can set it juuuuuust right for you!

4.  Injuries.  There are sliders for both Chance and Severity (Effect), in case you like more or less injuries during your season.

5.  Control set-up is insane!!!  Visual Concepts has outdone themselves on the control the player has been given.  It is taking me awhile to get used to the Left Trigger Shift Button - but Good God this thing is going to OWN, once you learn it.  

6.  Due the tutorials!!!!  There are only 3, but they are extremely helpful, and very important to see just HOW MUCH you have control of.

7.  The 1985 Villanova Wildcats team is in the Historical Teams list.   smile

8.  You can edit players first and last name without having to go through all the edit screens.  The list of names in the database is quite extensive.

9.  Coaching Tendencies!  -  This can be set during a game, and will affect what plays are called by the coach if you have it on auto-play call.  This feature is phe-nom-in-al !

10.  Double Teaming and playing Loose and Tight makes a real difference.  I have played against Georgetown multiple times, and have had to do this to stop ON FIRE biorythm players.  It works!!!!  And better yet, the CPU picks up on it and will dish to other players to compensate.  For real!  No, I'm not just saying it.... this is for real!

11.  Some of the animations are outrageous.

12.  Possibly my wet-dream of the year :  Coaches Mode.  You just have to do it to understand how brilliant it is done.  You have control of everything a Coach would want during a game, and it is easy as pie to call just about anything on-the-fly.  I don't know if this version is available online... but for those of us that like to talk as much as play,  ninja  this would be a fantastic online mode.

13.  Broadcast Camera.  Brilliant!  (and if you don't like that, you have numerous camera angles with zoom levels to your desire.)

14. Gameplay and Feel of the game is just unreal.  How ANYONE can compare College Hoops 2k5 to the feel of ESPN NBA 2k5 is beyond me.  Not that I hate that game, I don't... but there is NO comparison.  This game is fanstastic.

15.  Legacy Mode -  Ummmmm.... are you kidding me!!!????  It would take me a month to report on this.  The depth is staggering.

16.  Fast Breaks, Lead Passing, Give-and-Go's, Hop Steps, Alley Oops, Stopping the Iso-Motion... all implemented to near perfection.  You will LOVE these things.

---  ---  ---  ---

It is an absolute shame that one of my best "internet friends" is not picking this game up.  (Yeah, I'm talking about you, jacktard   :twisted:)  Because this game is the shit !

On another note, I am actually quite excited to see what Driver thinks of the game too.  I know he loved last year's version as much if not more than me.  I can't wait to hear what he thinks.

I would be shocked if basketball fans don't love this game.  If you are a bball fan...

3 Words:   GO  GET  IT

---  ---  ---  ---

As always, the disclaimer being it IS a sports game, so there are very possibly big errors in the Dynasty Mode that won't come out for weeks.  I obviously have no clue about these things at this time.  But for 20 bucks, the basketball experience ALONE is a freakin' no-brainer, even if Dynasty is completely borked.  (which hopefully it isn't).

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 04:56:11 PM »

Ralph, I command thee to pick this game up on your way home from work. I just spent $55 buying you HL2 for your bday, so the least you can do is buy a $20 game that we'll both enjoy.  biggrin
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 05:22:18 PM »

The only thing I hate more than Basketball is College Basketball.

But, for only $20...

My Michigan Wolverines will be ready to whip yer asses by early next week.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 05:52:45 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
The only thing I hate more than Basketball is College Basketball.

But, for only $20...

My Michigan Wolverines will be ready to whip yer asses by early next week.

biggrin

thumbsup

LD

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 06:12:28 PM »

Poncho and Lefty strike again!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 07:36:19 PM »

We got the East Coast thing going on here.

Three words for you:

Boston, Philly, Alexandria

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 10:46:14 PM »

Word!

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 05:22:53 AM »

Hmm.  //ducks for cover//

So far I like NBA 2K5 better.  Maybe its just the fact that there are real players in the game.  I have to admit that I have played NBA more and maybe I'm just more used to it.  Both games are fantastic though.  I haven't played EA's hockey game yet, but it looks like a clean sweep for ESPN sports games this year.  If only they could add a college football game to the lineup next year.  At $20 apiece, and with all of the online league features, these games are absolute steals.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 05:24:11 AM »

The people on the Operation Sports forums are raving about this game.  I can't wait until I get it...I thought last year's game was great, and if this one is as much better as everyone is saying, it'll probably be the best basketball game I've ever played.   biggrin
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 10:53:20 AM »

Played a ton over the weekend.

Game still rocks... big time!

Oh, I did find a little error though:  When you change some of the players names, even though they are in the name database, the announcer won't say the name.  I think I ran into about 4 so far.  There are probably more, considering there are about a bajillion names listed.

LD

LD

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 06:55:29 PM »

Me likey this very much.  The free throw shooting takes a bit to get used to, and I still haven't pulled off a single alley-oop, but otherwise I'm having a blast.

I'll organize a tourney or league or something if there's enough interest.

Oh, and any tips on how to pull off an alley-oop?

Mike

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 07:27:54 PM »

Mike -  Sorry.  No tips, other than to hope you can catch the defense out of position.  I have pulled off maybe 4 in total, and I have played quite a bit.  But I can tell you if you tell your team to really try to get out on the break, the chances go up.  Also, height absolutely seems to matter.  If you have a mismatch on the court, and the defense is either in man or like a 3-2 perimeter guarding scheme, the chances go up of landing one of those bad boys.  And Lord have mercy, does it ever feel good when you do it!

If you want to see some wicked alley-oops performed by the computer, play against Gonzaga.  I took USC against them over the weekend, and Gonzaga was breakin' like nobody's business.  Some of the coolest alley-oop animations I have ever seen.  Unfortunately, I was the on the receiving end of these, but it was still awesome to watch.

-- -- -- -- --

I played two online games over the weekend as well.  Getting through the menus during the game was really slooooooooooooowwwww... but the gameplay itself was damn near perfect!  Except for a slight, slight decrease in overall game speed, I wouldn't have even known I was playing over LIVE!

Great, great game!

LD

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 08:07:39 PM »

Michigan is on the clock...

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 08:53:31 PM »

Michigan is on the clock...

Name the night you want to play.  I might even stay up past my bed time for a game this good....

LD

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004, 08:56:52 PM »

Let me look at my out-of-conference schedule to see if I can squeeze you in.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 11:04:25 PM »

I will stomp you both!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 11:34:42 PM »

We need brackets!!! Get on that, Ponch!!  smile

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 02:22:08 PM »

Thanks for the impressions guys.  I will definitely be picking it up as well, after Thanksgiving sometime.  So many games to play these days, H2, HL2 & Call of Duty, and now this...  Sheesh!   :shock:

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 06:00:27 PM »

The announcer does announce my renamed shooting guard, Jimmy Hendrix... which is kind of funny.  :lol:

After playing the game for a few more days, I can say this is the best basketball game I've ever played. The depth of the legacy mode and on-court gameplay will keep me playing for many months I suspect. One bug: when simming up to the next game, the Xbox would freeze when doing the CPU recruiting on one particular day. When I simmed in the daily schedule it didn't freeze and I could continue. Only bug I've seen in the many hours I've put in.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2004, 07:46:29 PM »

Fantastic Game!!

It's hands down without a question the most fun basketball game I've played. My friend and I played 2 games last night and we've decided we'll put Football on the back burner for a while in favor of this (unheard of!). The first game was the Chattanooga Mocs (where I graduated from) against East Tennessee State University. He beat me by over 20 , which was probably good as I tend to beat him the most in football and he is likely to play more often if he knows he can win. The second game I was Kansas and he was UNC and I won by 3. It was one intense game.

I'm having a hard time alley ooping. Any tips?

Oh, and thanks for the recommendation

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2004, 05:38:19 AM »

I just bought it...thanks a LOT GUYS...

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2004, 07:41:29 PM »

Okay, played two games last night with my brother (we were both on Washington State against Gonzaga one game and Stanford the other).  We actually lost.  Which is GREAT news!  ESPN NBA is too easy, imo.  The computer actually played smart, as well.  We'd get into a 2-3 zone and we would be up top and they'd rotate the ball for a good shot.  Ooooh it was nice.

This game blows ESPN NBA out of the water.  It's so much tighter.  NBA is extreme in it's motion thing...it takes forever to turn.  Plus, there are so many precanned animations...my experience with this game is very positive.  The gameplay is wonderful.  

And the free-throws!  I HATE ESPN NBA'S FREE THROW SYSTEM!!  So this one is so nice.  

Oh, and Gonzaga did pull off a few alley-oops against us biggrin biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2004, 08:35:10 PM »

One suggestion... when starting a legacy, set "customize schedule" to on. Default is off. And it appears all the teams will have the exact same schedule year after year... which SUCKS. I'm debating whether to start a new legacy (already did one season).
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2004, 01:29:05 PM »

Good Find O.N.

Will set it up correctly when I finally start thanks to you!

I am having so much fun playing exhibition games, I haven't even started my legacy mode yet.

LD   smile

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2004, 03:13:39 PM »

Where are the brackets, Ponch?

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2004, 05:59:57 PM »

What difficulty mode are you all playing on?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2004, 12:51:43 AM »

What difficulty mode are you all playing on?

The one where the game has never been opened. I'm undefeated!  :wink:

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2004, 04:41:39 PM »

Boooo!

Can someone give me a serious answer, please?  smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2004, 04:49:07 PM »

At least I was paying attention!  :wink:

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2004, 07:13:11 PM »

Do you have time for a quick game of this online tonight?  Say, 7:30 PM?

Mike

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2004, 09:06:01 PM »

Thursday would be better (I think) can you do it then?

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2004, 08:33:38 PM »

You still interested in giving it a go tonight, Devil?  Say, 8 PM or so?  I get off work at 7:30 and need time to cook dinner.

Mike

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2004, 08:45:33 PM »

9:00? I'm in for that!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2004, 09:56:09 PM »

9:00? I'm in for that!

Can't at 9.  I have an inline hockey game at 10.  D'oh!

When next are you free?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2004, 01:48:06 AM »

Hmmmm....

How's Sunday night?

Devil