http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 03:02:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EQ2 bumped to a Nov 8th release?  (Read 4279 times)
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2004, 05:06:26 PM »

That seems to be what everyone is talking about. EB sent out emails to everyone who made a pre order that the new release date is Nov 8th, which would be one week before WOW supposedly gets released.
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 05:20:26 PM »

I highly doubt this... the thread about it on official beta forums got locked, only dev response is that until Moorgard gives an official date no retailers are correct essentially.
Andraax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 05:52:37 PM »

Could be... store where I work received an email not 15 minutes ago from our supplier... new date... November 8th.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 02:40:56 AM »

I'd say that thread was locked because they wanted to make an official surprise announcement or something.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 06:07:51 AM »

It's true. I got an email from EBGames confirming my pre-order had been moved up a week. I doubt they'd be sending out email notices if they weren't pretty darn sure.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 01:18:42 PM »

Dunno..being a former manager for EB, we often had wrong dates when it came to PC games... console they were usually pretty spot on.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 07:19:47 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
I'd say that thread was locked because they wanted to make an official surprise announcement or something.

Based on what I'm reading in the beta forums (open only to beta players), it's just being locked as Sony simply isn't confirming the date. Therefore it's mistruth, therefore it's locked. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 08:20:53 PM »

It would seem strange to move the date up a week this close to the original date if it wasnt based on publisher info.  Gamestop changed their date as well.

olaf
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 09:18:41 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
It would seem strange to move the date up a week this close to the original date if it wasnt based on publisher info.  Gamestop changed their date as well.

Well, that's the other side of the coin. Retailers like EB tend to get their information from somewhere, and more often than not, they're right.

Is EQ2 ready for release? Based on what I'm playing right now, I'd be ready to pay to play it as long as some of the main issues (lag and overcrowding related problems for the most part - both of which would be solved by more servers) are fixed.

That and there's some issue of an overcute dragon on my preorder that suddenly really drew my attention...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 11:10:01 PM »

On your preorder?  I'm so dissapointed.....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 12:05:56 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
On your preorder?  I'm so dissapointed.....

Ron, you know my standpoint on EQ2 verses WoW. Both really are great games, but I'm prefering the 'hardcoreness' of EQ2 verses what WoW has to offer.

Call me crazy or something. Actually, you already call me crazy. smile

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 03:04:46 AM »

EQ2 isn't hardcore, its rooted in tedium and 'grinding'.  I don't want to have to sit for hours and shout "SOMEBODY PLEASE PLAY WITH ME!!!" to get a group or grind for hours and hours and hours and hours to get the 467 items needed to take the 1 shot at fabricating the one uber item that could break during production.  Convince me how that is fun.  EQ2 is EQ1 with a paintjob.   Having played both of them for quite a while and being far more focused on GAMEPLAY than 'beautiful vistas' WoW is certainly the better of the two titles.  

You want to play on YOUR terms instead of having to plan out your time?  Pick WoW.  You want to see beautiful graphics that will only run smoothly on an x800 (seriously, you can't max it on a 9600 pro or a 9700 pro or even an x800 pro without serious framerate issues with more than 1 character on screen) then go with EQ2.  

You want player housing?  WoW.  
You want breaking items?  EQ2.  
You want quests that aren't all FEDEX? WoW.  
You want to get penalized when your friends die?  EQ2.  
You want mounts between towns...oh wait, EQ2 just stole that from WoW at the last second.  
You want your opinion to count?  WoW

Take a look at Sony's track record with EQ1 and all the problems with the way that the game has been managed.  Look at all the 'features' that should have been free that have been sold as seperate addons.  (what are we up to, 9 now?)  Look at the disaster that is Galaxies?  You want more of that?  They have a saying here in Arizona....I think they have it over there at Sony too...you can fool me once, shame on me....fool me twice...uh...fool...you can't get fooled again!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 04:31:02 AM »

No offense, but I am sorry the EQ2 you describe is not the EQ2 I have been playing for a few weeks now.  I have yet to grind.. 18 lvls I have not spent any of that just killing to get my next lvl.  I have never had to sit waiting for a group...I put up my lfg, I do some solo questing or searching for collection items.  I watch chat and usually within 15 minutes am in a group.

Performance.. I am running a p4 3.2, 1gb ram, and a 9800 xt 256 mb.  I run at 1600x1200, high detail, no lag at all.  Have been in multigroup battles with no problems.

Player Housing... EQ2 has it as well... Items breaking... have never had an item break... would take 10 deaths without repairing.  My entire set of equipment takes roughly 60 copper pieces to repair.  And nothing breaks... it is just not equipable until you repair.  Quests...there is only so much you can do, WoW and EQ2 use a lot of deliver, kill X, retrieve X quests, but EQ2 also has things like collection quests, quests requiring me to sneak in and out of a location.  Shared EXP debt is miniscule...Even with a group wipeout within 30 minutes the debt is gone.  Or, have a bad night get a lot of debt... guess what you sleep 8 hours and  a large portion of the debt is gone.  Mounts between cities... hrmm DAoC had it before WoW so not like it is unique.

I really am curious as to what EQ2 it is that you have played as it isn't anything like the one I am currently enjoying much more than I did WoW.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 04:27:29 PM »

Some people are predisposed to hate EQ2 no matter what, and they're going to see what they want to see.

At this point I don't really care. I'm having a blast in EQ2, far more than I did in WoW which seems like the Diet Coke of MMORPGs (tastes great, but less ful-filling).

At this point in EQ2 I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of crafting, exploration, combat, etc. At this point in WoW I felt like I had pretty much seen all there was to see.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2004, 04:31:54 PM »

Just had a great quest... my hallmark quest to become an assassin.  I had to intercept an Orc Runner for a message, then I had to find an Orc who was looking for a dervish to assassinate his leader so he could be promoted.  I almost screwed up when talking with this orc and had to think on my feet to cover up my error (referred to my leader of the dervishes as a man instead of a woman, he almost found me out to be a spy).  Then he puts a bag over my head and I am taken to a hidden Orc camp.  The place is crawling with large groups of orc guards that are all lvl 40 and would have squashed me.  I had to sneak past them to where my Victim was and assassinate him and get out unseen.  While this isn't a common quest it gives a bit of spice to the standard fair quests that EVERY MMORPG Has.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2004, 04:44:30 PM »

I hope it's not moved up too far.  I just got into the beta.

I also hope I can get to it from behind my firewall, of course.  Not looking promising, since I can't launch the Sony LaunchPad, and there's no response from their webserver.  If WoW is the only thing I can actually play (stress test worked fine behind my firewall), then it wins by default.

Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2004, 08:36:20 PM »

Some people are predisposed to hate EQ2 no matter what, and they're going to see what they want to see.

Just like some are predisposed to trash WOW no matter what, and they're going to see what they want to see.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 08:42:27 PM »

If you're referring to me, I have always said WoW was a great game and a fun game. I've never "trashed" it. When I got into the WoW beta, in fact, I was looking forward to WoW more than I was EQ2. It was only after I played WoW for several weeks that I realized it wasn't going to hold my interest as my next MMORPG title.

By "predisposed" I'm referring to people who come into EQ2 saying "I hated EQ, I hate SOE, so I'm going to hate this game." They're not judging EQ2 on its own merits, they're judging it based on its predecessor and its publisher. I've never judged WoW on those terms. I've only judged it based on my direct experience playing it.

If you actually sit down and play EQ2 and give it a fair shake but still don't like it, then I can respect that. I don't respect people who go into the game already determined to hate it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2004, 08:47:38 PM »

Quote from: "YellowKing"
If you actually sit down and play EQ2 and give it a fair shake but still don't like it, then I can respect that. I don't respect people who go into the game already determined to hate it.

Personally, this is the biggest 'issue' that Sony has to overcome with this, or any, MMO they release - their not-so-wonderful past with EQ1 and SWG.

Hell - their inepitude with Star Wars Galaxies alone is enough to make people swear to never buy another Sony MMO again.

But, as the saying goes - I like giving everybody a fair chance. Especially when I get into the two biggest MMO launches this year for free. smile

Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2004, 03:39:14 AM »

Not that i will defend the sequal to the first major grind in the history of the mmorpg, but look at blizzards track record. TWO rpg lites. diablo 1 was a little repetitive, but interesting for a play through. diablo 2 had a very low amount of content and tried to trick the user into believing it had more by forcing you to repeat the same content over and over and over again. diablo 2 also was insanely unbalanced. spear whirlwind barbs, fire wall sorcs (the person who decided to make those changes should be fired... or at least forced to play black & white for 3 days straight), the list goes on. On the subject of fire wall sorcs, after they became gods, blizzard then decided to nerf the sole fire wall defence for players. Before that nerf, fire wall sorcs had a hard time killing someone who designed a good deal of their armor to specifically combat fire wall (if you didn't do that you would instantly die just walking right through one firewall even if you were a barb focused on health).

They both look like more of the same and as some of you from gone gold no doubt know, i hate grinding and so it is doubtful i will buy either. World of warcraft does actually sound interesting, but until proven otherwise, i will have to assume it is just the same old grind.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2004, 04:25:12 PM »

I've be playing EQ 2 since last friday and can respond to some of these:

"You want player housing? WoW."

Not sure what you mean by this.  I was issued an appartment upon entering Freeport.

"You want breaking items? EQ2."

Only if you die 10 times without repairing and the cost to repair is cheap.

"You want quests that aren't all FEDEX? WoW."

Having played both betas the quest depth is similar though I give the edge to EQ 2.

"You want to get penalized when your friends die? EQ2."

It's not as horrible as it sounds on paper.  If you are in a group and are main tank and you die three time in the course of an adventure, it's more fair to spread around the debt rather than one person.   Spiritmasters in DAoC doing PBAOE groups would have loved this feature.

"You want mounts between towns...oh wait, EQ2 just stole that from WoW at the last second."

I'd prefer them to steal good idea rather then bad one.   This was a good one.

"You want your opinion to count? WoW "

Due to individuality and customization concerns EQ 2 is overhauling most of the character based stuff post lev 20 and adding talents and racial traints.

WoW is a good game for those who want to play it, but EQ 2 certainly doesn't suck .
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2004, 05:19:45 PM »

"You want mounts between towns...oh wait, EQ2 just stole that from WoW at the last second."

Just to set the record straight, mounts between towns came out with DAoC. So you could just as well say WoW "stole" them from Dark Age of Camelot.

By the way, the November 8th date is now official.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2004, 06:03:05 PM »

Just to set the record straight, mounts between towns came out with DAoC. So you could just as well say WoW "stole" them from Dark Age of Camelot.

And you keep telling yourself that  Tongue

I keed I keed
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2004, 06:37:44 PM »

Im playing EQ2, I and think WoW is a great game but for me right now EQ2 is what I want. plane and simple.

Scott
Geezerone
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2004, 08:39:01 PM »

It's official!  Sony announced Nov 8th.  Yahoo Announcement
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2004, 08:59:32 PM »

Quote from: "YellowKing"

By the way, the November 8th date is now official.

Mounts solely between towns or set locations is stupid. They should have copied ultima online and allowed mounts any time (note: having real mounts is such a general idea that you really can't say it is copying)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2004, 10:49:02 PM »

I cannot imagine playing another MMO than WoW. In fact, I doubt I will try another for some time. It takes all my control not to play my beta characters any more, knowing that the wipe that is coming in the next few weeks will simply waste all my time and effort. I am content to wait for Nov.22 and enjoy the game like crazy when it comes out.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2004, 11:15:55 PM »

Quote from: "Falator"
Mounts solely between towns or set locations is stupid. They should have copied ultima online and allowed mounts any time (note: having real mounts is such a general idea that you really can't say it is copying)

Both titles allow you to purchase a mount for general riding. You can use them in dungeons (obviously), but when wandering around the 'overworld', they're used to get from point A to point B much faster and safer.

However, the mounts that only travel to certain points are nice in their own way, as you can use them early on when you have little funds and levels.

Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2004, 12:10:35 AM »

I guess I can't put off upgrading any longer then. I'm glad one is coming out sooner than the other, it makes the decision that much easier. I hope WoW is still fun about 6 months from now.

-Cota
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: