http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 07:00:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: end of an era: your ps2 top dozen  (Read 2020 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2007, 07:15:46 PM »

yeah, it'll still sell well for a while more, & it'll probably continue to get some ports/revisions, but i think it's safe to say that, at this point, we've seen the last of the ps2's major releases. so, sit back, relax, imagine you're either putting together a ps2 time capsule or giving a niece/nephew an extremely generous gift, & list the 12 games you'd include in your package (along with a console, of course)...

my list (in no particular order):

ico
shadow of the colossus
final fantasy x
final fantasy xii
metal gear solid 2: substance
metal gear solid 3: subsistence
devil may cry 3: dante's awakening
ratchet & clank
okami
fatal frame
disgaea: hour of darkness
shin megami tensei: persona 3

notes:

i'm surprised how quickly my list pretty much wrote itself (of course, not playing shooters/sports helps). the easiest choices were ico & sotc, 2 games that embody the ps2 for me. i enjoyed both ffs & both mgss just about equally, &, individually, as much as anything else i've played, so i included all 4. the hardest choice was smt:p3, but, of all the rpgs i thought of (star ocean 3, nocturne, radiata stories, kh2), it had the most heart (&, easily, the best sense of humor)...

as much as i respect & appreciate the craftsmanship involved in the god of war games, there's no way i'm gonna subject either my young relative or future generations to possibly the dullest gaming hero ever created (they can do that themselves)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 07:21:11 PM »

no god of war? shame on you!
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 07:21:53 PM »

Somewhat similar, but with the God of War games. And compared to the heroes of your other games, Kratos is anything but dull.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 07:30:22 PM »

No God of War ????  eek

No GTA ????   eek

I reject that list.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 07:31:44 PM »

Pretty easy for me.  Not in order:

-  Final Fantasy X
-  Final Fantasy XII
-  Shadow Hearts
-  Shadow Hearts:  Covenant
-  Disgaea
-  Xenosaga
-  God of War
-  Dark Cloud 2
-  Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
-  Guitar Hero
-  Okami
-  Beyond Good & Evil

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 07:35:19 PM »

1.) Shadow of the Colossus
2.) Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
3.) Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
4.) Okami
5.) God of War
6.) Amplitude
7.) Final Fantasy X
8.) Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
9.) Gitaroo-Man
10.) ICO
11.) Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
12.) Kingdom Hearts

I'm probably missing something...but yeah biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
KC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 08:09:07 PM »

I can't believe that there are no votes for Dragon Quest yet! eek
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 08:56:10 PM »

In no particular order:

1. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - greatest game of this generation regardless of console bar none.
2. Grand Theft Auto III - the original remains the best of the series
3. Beyond Good & Evil - as much as I hate the batshit end boss fight, this remains a stellar example of the greatness video gaming is capable of
4. God of War 1 & 2 - combat action games don't come any better than this pair and even though the final third of the first game is an exercise in pure torture the second game is flawless. FLAWLESS I SAY!
6. Final Fantasy XII - without question the pinnacle of the series since FFVI (though that's a personal choice, pure and simple). FFXII is everything you could ever want from a Final Fantasy title - expansive and highly original world to explore, thousands of quests and sub-quests to go on, outlandish characters, despicable villains, a steady build-up in the story, and a finale that feels like you're mainlining pure cinema ecstasy. It may take about six hours to get to where the main story kicks in, but after that you'll spend the following 94 hours up to your eyeballs in joy.
7. Fatal Frame 2 - pure terror. It may resort to one too many jump scares, but the ominous sense of dread combined with some of the scariest visuals of any video game ever make this one something to whip out for friends around Halloween. Five minutes later, you may have less friends. icon_twisted
8. Silent Hill 2 - not quite as scary as Fatal Frame 2, but certainly matches the level of tension. I put this one on the list because of the game being a giant metaphor. If you know the story then you know what I'm talking about, and it took a tremendous pair of balls to make a video game deal with the issues present in Silent Hill 2. Sad, genuinely unsettling, and a deeply moving story ultimately about forgiveness both from your loved ones and of yourself. This was a powerful experience.
9. Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked - for me this was the pinnacle of the series on PS2. Sheer awesome from beginning to end and I, frankly, preferred the focus on blowing stuff up and collecting an ever expanding array of badass weaponry.
10. Shadow of the Colossus - A surprisingly intimate tale considering the stakes and challenges the main character faces throughout the game. You don't really know what's going on until the mid-way point, and even then the mysteries slowly reveal themselves. This was another surprisingly mature tale of loss which is an honest example of a video game as art. Ebert can go fuck himself.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:48:44 AM by whiteboyskim » Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 09:12:55 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 09, 2007, 08:56:10 PM

4. God of War 1 & 2 - combat action games don't come any better than this pair and even though the final third of the first game is an exercise in pure torture the second game is flawless. FLAWLESS I SAY!

Really?  I loved the first one and got bored about halfway with the second and just quit playing it...oh, well..  smile
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 09:51:23 PM »

No Order:

- MLB Power Pro
- Kingdom Hearts
- Shadow Of The Colossus
- Ratchet & Clank
- Silent Hill
- Guitar Hero
- Beyond Good and Evil
- GTA: Vice City
- Disgaea
- Sly Cooper
- Persona 3
- Katamari Damacy

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 10:30:10 PM »

6. Final Fantasy XII - without question the pinnacle of the series since FFXI (though that's a personal choice, pure and simple).

Considering XII comes immediately after XI, that's not a hard feat.  icon_wink

If I recall your FF predilections correctly, I'm pretty sure you meant to put a VI there.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 10:42:17 PM »

6. Final Fantasy XII - without question the pinnacle of the series since FFXI

am I reading this right...you're saying FF 12 is the best once since FF 11?  is that a joke or what haha
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 10:44:38 PM »

#1 -- Guitar Hero 1 and 2 - Simply no game on the PS2 was as fun, for as long as Guitar Hero.

#2 -- Ratchet & Clank Series - When it comes to action / shooting / platforming, no other game got it done as perfectly as the Ratchet and Clank series. Great for four straight games, and never stopped being fun.

#3 -- God of War Series - It wasn't perfect, but for stylized action, it never stopped being fun.

#4 -- Disgaea (and series) - Although it frequently felt too easy and too same-y, the three or four games I played in this series (I don't remember if I ever played Phantom Brave) were loads of fun.

#5 -- Shadow of the Colossus -- Beautiful, fantastic, fun, challenging, and satisfying. This game feels epic and beautiful.

#6 -- Xenosaga -- Although I never played the other two games in the series (I want to, but bad reviews have kept me away), this game is the only RPG of the last generation I played through twice. (Granted the first time through I stopped 20 hours in.)

#7 -- Final Fantasy 12 - I've only played three final fantasies (7, 10, 12) and this is my favorite, hands down.

#8 -- Rez - I picked this one up last year, and I've never been happier with a pickup.

#9 -- X-Men Legends - As far as the hack & slash RPG genre goes, this is my favorite. With so many characters who all feel different to play, it's very enjoyable. Everquest Legends and Baldur's Gate were decent, but this was much better polished.

#10 - Katamari Damacy - Great game, turned into a very lackluster mediocre 'same-y' series. You'll have a blast with one of these games, but regardless which one you pick up, all the other games in the series are exactly the same.

I know I'm forgetting a ton of games. Here's some that aren't on my list and why:

Grand Theft Auto - I played #3 when a few months after it was released, and while I enjoyed the openness of the game, it never captivated me the same way as other people.

Okami - I bought it when it was released, but I haven't played it yet. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »

In no particular order except for DQ8 which is my top game of the entire PS2/Cube/XBox generation:

Dragon Quest 8
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Guitar Hero
Dark Cloud 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
ICO
Grand Theft Auto 3
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Virtua Fighter 4 Evo
Gran Turismo 3

God of War, I suspect, is going to be a pretty contested title on these lists as will the jrpg's (lots of people just don't enjoy jrpg's). Personally, I think it's the most overrated franchise in currently popular gaming franchises. I understand why it's popular, but after trying to slog through the first game twice now, the franchise is just overblown and horribly dull to me. Give me a proper sequel to The Sands of Time instead. icon_wink

[edit]Oh, and Shadow of the Colossus is not on my list because I haven't played it yet; I suspect it'll bump either VF4 or Champions of Norrath off my list.

[edit 2]WTF IS WRONG WITH ME. I can't believe I left GT3 off this list; it originally sold me the freakin' PS2 fer crying out loud. retard
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:40:39 PM by Farscry » Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 11:54:06 PM »

In order....

Dragon Quest 8
Final Fantasy XII
Shadows of the Collossus
God of War
MLB Power Pros
Kingdom Hearts 2
Fatal Frame 2
Grand Theft Auto 3: Vice City
SSX
MLB 07: The Show
Final Fantasy X

And that's it smile.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 12:05:07 AM »

No love for Jak and Daxter?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 12:48:31 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on December 09, 2007, 10:30:10 PM

6. Final Fantasy XII - without question the pinnacle of the series since FFXI (though that's a personal choice, pure and simple).

Considering XII comes immediately after XI, that's not a hard feat.  icon_wink

If I recall your FF predilections correctly, I'm pretty sure you meant to put a VI there.

Pwned. Yup, Meant it to be FFVI. My bad.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 03:46:05 AM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on December 09, 2007, 10:44:38 PM

#6 -- Xenosaga -- Although I never played the other two games in the series (I want to, but bad reviews have kept me away)

The second game got some bad reviews, but most opinions of the third game I've read place it close in quality to the first.

Quote from: Farscry
Give me a proper sequel to The Sands of Time instead.
If you consider The Two Thrones to be the sequel to SoT (ignoring Warrior Within), it's one of the best sequels I've ever played.  It comes very close in quality to the first game, and is better in some respects.

As for my list, I'm limiting it to PS2 exclusives and there are lots of games I haven't yet played or haven't played enough to rate (like FF12, Persona 3, Kingdom Hearts 2, Xenosaga, and many others) -

1.  Final Fantasy X - I think FF12 might eclipse it, but it stands for now.
2.  Dark Cloud 2 - 195 hours of pure fun
3.  Jak 3 - Great melding of story, character, and varied gameplay
4.  Shadow Hearts : Covenant - Great main characters, great battle system
5.  Dragon Quest 8 - Perfect blending of classic gameplay and modern presentation
6.  Kingdom Hearts - KH2 will probably eclipse it, but it's still a great game
7.  Ratchet & Clank : Up Your Arsenal - the most fun and the funniest of the series
8.  Sly Cooper - all 3 are great, but I give the nod to the original
9.  Digital Devil Saga - awesome style, fun, varied combat, and great dungeons
10. God of War - not normally my kind of game, but it was a great action game
11. Wild ARMs 5 - as with DQ8, a great melding of old and new
12. Jak 2 - the great gameplay was enough to overcome some big problems with the game

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 03:57:05 AM »

No particular order:

Metal Gear Solid 3
Ico
Xenosaga Ep 3
Jak 2
Ratchet & Clank: UYA
FFXII
FFX
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Persona 3
God of War 2
Gran Turismo 3
Sly 2

Some of my favorites like Sands of Time and Beyond Good & Evil are excluded because I played them on Xbox and, hey, this list is specific to PS2.  Also, for the most part I picked just my favorite entry in a series since the list would be clogged up with numerous sequels though I make an exception for FFX and FFXII because they are so radically different from one another.

PS2 is by far the best console I've ever owned and, based on what I've seen so far, that's not going to change this generation either. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 08:35:03 AM »

in no order...because that would take forever

final fantasy 12
final fantasy 10
metal gear solid 2:substance
metal gear solid 3:subsistance
kingdom hearts
kingdom hearts 2
silent hill 2
medal of honor:frontlines(the last great MoH....with the saving private ryan-or maybe i should say the WWII- Normandy beach invasion at the beginning)
zone of enders
GTA:VC
ICO(have they made the sequel yet?)
and.......

the Bible game......lol,just kidding

Devil may cry 1

having trouble remembering ?

check out the full list,lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »

For as many games as there were on the PS2, very few were memorable for me.  The few that I remember enjoying are:

Kingdom Hearts
The Mark of Kri
Gran Turismo 3
Sly Cooper
Dark Cloud 2

Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 12:51:28 PM »

Ratchet & Clank 1-3
Jak & Daxter 1-3
THPS 4
THUG
God of War 1-2

And there's probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind. Don't play rpgs sorry smile

I'm a platformer whore
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:53:03 PM by Pong » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 02:34:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure I only played about a dozen PS2 games so this should be pretty easy...

Shadow of the Colossus
Guitar Hero
God of War
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy XII
GTA:SA
GTA:VC
Gran Turismo 3
Katamari Damacy

Well that's all the PS2 games I can remember really liking. Kingdom Hearts and Shadow Hearts both failed to impress, tehre were others but not good enoguh to remember.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 02:35:47 PM »

War of the Monsters
GTA3 & VC
GT: A-Spec
Time Splitters 2

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 05:43:15 PM »

I've haven't had a PS2 for long and I'm not sure I've even started let alone completed 12 games. Here's my top so far:

Final Fantasy  XII
Dragon Quest VIII
God of War
Genma Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
Final Fantasy X
Personal 3
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 08:42:09 PM »

Quote from: EddieA
If you consider The Two Thrones to be the sequel to SoT (ignoring Warrior Within), it's one of the best sequels I've ever played.  It comes very close in quality to the first game, and is better in some respects.

Warrior Within was putrescently horrible in so many ways.

I read so many mixed reviews & accounts of Two Thrones that I gave it a pass when it came out, and am still pondering giving it a shot someday.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 08:53:45 PM »

Two Thrones was a fun ride - definitely check it out, Farscry.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 09:14:35 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 10, 2007, 08:42:09 PM

I read so many mixed reviews & accounts of Two Thrones that I gave it a pass when it came out, and am still pondering giving it a shot someday.

Two Thrones is great.  It doesn't have the "magic" that Sands of Time had but, in some ways it's a better game.  I really wish it would show up on the 360 BC list. 
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 09:39:11 PM »

Dragon Quest VIII
Kingdom Hearts 2
Dark Cloud 2
Final Fantasy XII
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
Kingdom Hearts
Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria
Ico
Disgaea
Shadow of the Colossus

Edited because depward reminded me of Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. I can't believe I forgot that one.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:44:00 PM by Qantaga » Logged

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 09:39:23 PM »

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
FF XII
FF X
Steambot Chronicles
Odin Sphere
Shadow Hearts

My list.  Multiplatform (like Sands of Time) titles are excluded...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 10:41:37 PM »

Am I the only one that liked Klonoa 2?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:43:29 PM by ras752000 » Logged

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 12:01:04 AM »

If you never read my review of Two Thrones then check it out. I loved the first one something fierce and The Two Thrones does it justice.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 03:33:29 AM »

Wow; that many recommendations, I think I will have to check out Two Thrones. icon_biggrin Nice review, too! I think I read it at the time but saw so many mixed comments that I was still unsure.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 07:57:46 AM »

Warrior Within was horrible, and the developers realized that.  Two Thrones is in some ways an apology to fans for WW.  They didn't take the easy way out and just ignore WW, but incorporated the prince's descent into selfishness (and crappy gaming) into the storyline.  Two Thrones also isn't just a rehash of SoT.  There are lots of new mechanics, like the Dark Prince's chains and the speed kills, which are excellent additions to the series.  Two Thrones is a masterpiece, and it's really sad that WW tarnished the series so much that some people never played TTT.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:03:06 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: