http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 01:30:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enchanted Arms First Impressions  (Read 18261 times)
Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2006, 01:16:54 AM »

Thank You all for the welcome and now that I am back from Vacation tomorrow will be the day I get into This game...

Thanks again... Still hate you all for making me spend my money like this disgust :slywink:

Briko

Briko
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2006, 01:24:49 PM »

Well, I finally got this from Gamefly last night and I'm about 3 hours in. I just made my way into the Sealed Wing and I am enjoying the game so far.  Not sure if it have legs for me, but I like what I am seeing so far.   

Between this Saint's Row and Enchanted Arms I should be good to go for abit.   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2006, 02:11:38 PM »

I haven't unwrapped the game in case I want to return it. I have N3 occupying me right now.

Is it worth it to unwrap it, or is anyone looking to trade in the next two weeks for N3?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2006, 03:35:12 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 06, 2006, 02:11:38 PM

Is it worth it to unwrap it, or is anyone looking to trade in the next two weeks for N3?

It's a great Japanese RPG with a side of Pokemon (gotta collect all the Golems). Good voice acting, interesting plot (keeps you moving forward), and is about 40-50 hours long. Highly recommended.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 06, 2006, 01:24:49 PM

Well, I finally got this from Gamefly last night and I'm about 3 hours in. I just made my way into the Sealed Wing and I am enjoying the game so far. 

The game hasn't really started yet...stick with it for a bit longer before deciding.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2006, 04:25:47 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 06, 2006, 03:35:12 PM

It's a great Japanese RPG with a side of Pokemon (gotta collect all the Golems). Good voice acting, interesting plot (keeps you moving forward), and is about 40-50 hours long. Highly recommended.

Pffft...I guess I'm not the average player. I hit what must arguably the halfway point in terms of plot (45% completion) with almost 40 hours played already.

Incidentally...that last fight I just completed...you know the one. Yeah, well I..uh..accidentally went in to that fight with only 3 peeps in my group and barely skinned out a win. Having had a fourth person with the right skill set might have made it almost trivial.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2006, 05:17:31 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 06, 2006, 04:25:47 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 06, 2006, 03:35:12 PM

Pffft...I guess I'm not the average player. I hit what must arguably the halfway point in terms of plot (45% completion) with almost 40 hours played already.

I'm at 25 hours (not sure exactly where as I'm at work), and only 37% in, so I'm thinking that the 40-50 hours is a bit short. I just went by the back of the box.  icon_smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2006, 08:31:16 PM »

According to RPGFan, the game will also be released on the PS3.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2006, 10:05:55 PM »

Well I am about 4 or 5 hours into this game and all I have to say that the time went by so fast it only felt like an hour. (Which translates into a good game)...  Some comments:

• I didn't feel that Makota's voice was that annoying, just his lines where smile
  • The voice acting is good and I am a little annoyed with the Toya character
  • I am just getting into the game, so I can't say too much about the game play yet
  • If you are still on the border of getting this game the reviews in this forum are very accurate

bowdown All hail the GT Effect dude

[/list]

Briko
Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2006, 01:36:56 AM »

I have a stupid question I think:

When the characters come up on the screen sometimes they talk and sometimes it's only the text on the bottom of the screen. Is that normal, if it is it's very strange.

Briko

Briko
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2006, 02:21:53 AM »

yes, that's normal.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2006, 03:13:30 AM »

I convinced my friend to pick up this game and after an hour of playtime he left me a message saying he'd wasted $60. When I called him back today he had already put 16 hours into the game in a one day marathon.  Guess the game grows on people.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2006, 03:21:52 AM »

The first couple of hours are really a tutorial, nothing more.
There's little combat, and when it occurs, it's trivial.
It's almost like the developers thought "this is an rpg, so occasionally we have to make you run around and talk to people". These are the weakest parts of the game, for me, and they start you off doing just that. Still it does set the stage for things to come.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 03:23:44 AM by Misguided » Logged

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2006, 04:47:50 AM »

I don't play RPGs, don't like 'em, and this is just a one-time interruption, but Penny Arcade seems to really like the game, and are kinda calling out some of the poorer reviews in the process. The boys over at PA always seem to be ass-deep in common sense, as far as I've found.

Thought it was worth mentioning. Keep enjoying the game.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2006, 10:37:17 AM »

NiM$
depward

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2006, 05:36:20 PM »

Was able to spend some extended time with EA last night - experienced the first time where I couldn't save for about an hour.  Yeah, I'm accustomed to that (with playing PS2 RPGs and such) but it was the first time I wasn't able to save for an extended period of time AND I really wanted to go to sleep for work today.  Ah well though.

But I'm <3ing this game - good stuff!  It combines what I typically like about RPGs:

-Linear (I'm not the greatest fan of 'open-ended' RPGs (Romancing SaGa being an exception)
  -Interesting and engaging battle system
  -Nice character design (just got this Golem, totally forgot her name but she looks badass!)
  -Story is subpar-average'ish.  I will say I'm somewhat interested in Atsuma's arm ...
  -Pretty graphics

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2006, 05:48:28 PM »

Quote from: depward on September 07, 2006, 05:36:20 PM

Was able to spend some extended time with EA last night - experienced the first time where I couldn't save for about an hour.  Yeah, I'm accustomed to that (with playing PS2 RPGs and such) but it was the first time I wasn't able to save for an extended period of time AND I really wanted to go to sleep for work today.  Ah well though.

There are parts in this game where you can't save?   Well, fuck.  thumbsdown

NiM$
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2006, 05:55:55 PM »

I thought EA had Save Anywhere?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 07, 2006, 05:48:28 PM

It was just a long sequence of cinematics, that's all.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2006, 06:26:39 PM »

Quote from: depward on September 07, 2006, 05:56:19 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 07, 2006, 05:48:28 PM

It was just a long sequence of cinematics, that's all.

Apparently a very long sequence, as you can save anytime you can get into the character options/select/stats screen. Must've been the beginning of the game, as you tend to get dragged from place to place without too many times to actually pause what you're doing.

As for my ~25 hours or so in, I've never been more than a pause screen away from saving the game. No 'you can't save here' points or anything, so don't worry about it.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2006, 07:08:32 PM »

12 hours - 13 hours in was the place where I couldn't save.

Yeah, like Destructor said, don't worry about it - wasn't complaining, rather, was kinda pissed due to wanting to go to BED!

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »

The graphics are great.

The story is excellent and I am enjoying the voice acting.

The characters are exciting and I am enjoying unfolding the story just so I can see each character develope.

Combat is A+ all the way around; more games need this combat type. It isn't overly complex, and the auto battle is great for when you just want to grind some cash or experience points.

My favorite part is that each character has their own set of abilities that no one else shares, I love individuality in my characters and FF8 was the first to ruin that trait JRPG's used to have. (i.e. letting everyone learn the same set of skills thus eliminating character classes altogther.)

I would say that the weakest aspect of the game is the music. It isn't bad, it just doesn't have any real theme to grab hold of; sorta ambient and not really as epic as I'd like it to be. Maybe that changes later in the game. (12 hours in)

This game might just be my GOTY. It isn't original in terms of game design, theme, and it is linear (a good thing IMHO) as all heck, but you know what? Enchanted Arms is fun, fun, fun, fun, and most of all, fun.

If you're still on the fence, rent Enchanted Arms and ignore the mainstram reviewers.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
depward

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2006, 07:42:50 PM »

Yeah, pretty disappointed with the music (or lack thereof).  Not much aside from ambient tunes so far.  I had to adjust the sound sliders so I could actually HEAR the music at certain places.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2006, 08:46:06 PM »

Quote from: depward on September 07, 2006, 07:42:50 PM

Yeah, pretty disappointed with the music (or lack thereof).  Not much aside from ambient tunes so far.  I had to adjust the sound sliders so I could actually HEAR the music at certain places.

Yup, same here. I wonder if we can use a custom soundtrack, but when a CGI cutscene happens it'll shut off the custom music while the scene plays out. Hmm, I saved near the first CGI scene, I'll have to test it out.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2006, 09:46:56 PM »

Quote from: depward on September 07, 2006, 07:42:50 PM

Music? The game has music? Short of the battle theme, I can't even remember a single soundtrack offhand.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2006, 10:01:15 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 07, 2006, 06:26:39 PM

Apparently a very long sequence, as you can save anytime you can get into the character options/select/stats screen.

Actually, I know of at least one place where you can get to the menu but the save option is dimmed. But still...an hour? Can't think of anything like that.

I wouldn't give combat an A+ because I definitely think there's room for improvement. I'd give it an A+ conceptually, though. I'd love to see them tweak it for another game where the golems served a bit more of a purpose. For example, what if you could choose to summon any one golem with you onto the field AFTER combat began (the choice you make depending on the opponents/situation).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:04:40 PM by Misguided » Logged

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2006, 01:05:22 AM »

So far I made my way from London City and I am on the road back to Yokohama City.  Anyway, I hate back tracking so did I miss anything by skipping the swamp and Fire Stride Temple.  Btw, I went into the temple and my guys got one shotted by random mobs  mad

NiM$
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2006, 01:28:54 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 08, 2006, 01:05:22 AM

So far I made my way from London City and I am on the road back to Yokohama City.  Anyway, I hate back tracking so did I miss anything by skipping the swamp and Fire Stride Temple.  Btw, I went into the temple and my guys got one shotted by random mobs  mad
the Fire Temple is an area that you are in no way intended to complete the first time you pass by...way too low level and there's really nothing you can do to avoid getting smoked.  a little later in the game, you start travelling through some of the same areas again and can do a little more free-form exploring of the world.  while the paths are still very linear, you can go back and attempt the various elemental temples as an optional way to win a few new high-level golems.  i'm quite a few hours past where you are and recently tried the fire temple again...got a little farther but i still can't make it through to the end.  i wouldn't worry about it right now...get a little farther in the game, power up your party some more, and give it a try when you're back in the area again later.

and don't worry...i have yet to reach a point where repeatedly traversing the same areas for any length of time is required. 

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2006, 01:37:38 AM »

thanks disarm.  I take it that you didn't have a god weapon to challenge the golem near the destroyed bridge?

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2006, 05:59:18 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 08, 2006, 01:37:38 AM

thanks disarm.  I take it that you didn't have a god weapon to challenge the golem near the destroyed bridge?

I'm passing by that area a second time and not only is the Fire Temple still well beyond me (the game still gave me the warning that they were too high, BTW), but I didn't have a God Weapon handy to do the challenge, either.

Maybe when I pass by there a third time I'll be ready.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2006, 11:32:36 AM »

There's a golem near the bridge?  saywhat

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2006, 12:30:16 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 08, 2006, 11:32:36 AM

There's a golem near the bridge?  saywhat

Spoiler for Hiden:
Follow the bank near the destroyed hand on the beach.  A Golem called Black Dragon is right there

NiM$
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2006, 03:52:23 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 07, 2006, 10:37:17 AM

+1

I am seeing way to many reviewers not accounting or properly weighting the "fun factor" or gameplay of the game.
My trust in many game reviews is -1

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2006, 04:59:20 PM »

Well, that's why we have each other! I picked this up yesterday after reading all the positive forum impressions, and to support RPGs on the 360. I'm sure I would've passed if I had just glanced at the Game Rankings score.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2006, 05:21:23 PM »

you people are melting my resolve to play EA (still in wrapping).

mad

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2006, 05:24:45 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 08, 2006, 05:21:23 PM

mad

Oh just unwrap it and play it, you know you want to.

*unzips pants*

*looks at Purge's stunned face*

Oh, you meant Enchanted Arms.

Sorry about that.

*ahem*

Well, alright then, Back to work.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on September 08, 2006, 05:24:45 PM

Quote from: Purge on September 08, 2006, 05:21:23 PM

mad

Oh just unwrap it and play it, you know you want to.

*unzips pants*

*looks at Purge's stunned face*

Oh, you meant Enchanted Arms.

Sorry about that.

*ahem*

Well, alright then, Back to work.

saywhat it must take a WEEK to pee through that thing!  icon_lol

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2006, 12:07:17 AM »

Thanks to good impressions from GT and OO, I decided to pick up EA last night. WOW.WOW.WOW.WOW  eek I'm only 6 hours into it so far but I'm in love. The visuals are gorgeous, what is this average rating bullshit people are giving it? And the cutscenes, the first cutscene with the Devil Golem... I was blown away. Final Fantasy eat your heart out, seriously! As far as battle system goes, seems deeper than the average RPG of this type, although I'm not far enough into the game to determine whether its great or not. I'm also digging the characters, namely Makoto! He is hilarious! It's so funny to hear him and Atsuma bicker, and I love how Toya keeps the trio focused.

I don't want to get too hyped up, but so far it's been one hell of an opening. I don't think I'll ever look at a publication's review again, it's all forum impressions for me from now on.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2006, 01:55:34 AM »

Okay I must be missing something.  I;m in Yokohama and I am in Magic Lab.  In the Magic Lab Maintenance Block I can seem to find my way to the floor.  The Magic Cube has no power and Karin says "Maybe I need to get to the sparking thing.  Thing is the Sparking thing is on the ground floor.  Someone spoil me, please

NiM$
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2006, 02:41:25 AM »

I never got down there either. The others said there wasn't anything major down there they could recall, so I kept on going.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: