http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:37:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enchanted Arms First Impressions  (Read 18377 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2006, 03:31:00 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 02, 2006, 11:46:05 PM

Here's another tip to help battles end quickly - unless you're attacking with an elemental power, or you're attacking with a line attack that allows cover (if it's a straight vertical line, odds are it will), you'll always do the listed damage to your opponent. Use that to judge exactly how much damage you'll do in a round. Sometimes, having other party members go first is exactly what you need to do to get the fight to end in a single round.

I'd swear I had an instance earlier where an attack did half damage but the target had no shield. Attack and target were both earth.

Incidentally, anybody know what the status effects are? There's one that's like something ELM I think...what the heck is that? I wish they'd given a bit more info on some of this stuff. I probably would have bought the guide at the shop today, but they sold out already.

For those on the fence, the further you go in the game, the more strategic and involved the combat is becoming (in a good way). The game does a tremendous job of slowly introducing new things in terms of the abilities of the foes you face and of the golems you can make. For instance, I now have a golem (sasquatch) that takes up a 2*2 area on the grid and makes maneuvering your characters to get off the perfect attack that much more difficult.

OH! That reminds me...I felt like a dolt when I realized this, but in case no one else has noticed, you can select the golems you are fighting and see what all their skills are and the effect area of those skills. That adds another level of strategy in terms of positioning people defensively, especially when they are of an opposing element. The strategy is really deep yet not at all overwhelming thus far.

On another note, is anyone finding Karin to be lackluster? Until I find some more skills for her, she just isn't pulling her weight and I currently am running with Raigar, Sasquatch, and Mage Guardian (swapping others in as needed). This made the dialog after defeating Amazonia rather amusing.

cc'd from qt3:

I've laughed a number of times too. Good stuff. I'm enjoying the character interactions and the story more than I expected I would.

I'm really enjoying the combat system and 8+ hours in, new layers of strategy keep getting revealed as the battle situations become increasingly complex.

There are some negatives...notably that the interface is needlessly cumbersome in some ways (e.g. the screens for checking, buying, learning, and equipping skills could likely have been streamlined significantly). The way it asks you which memory device every time you want to save is rather annoying and I very much wish there were a quicksave of some kind that would get you back to the action more quickly.

Perhaps my biggest gripe is the camera in combat. I would have very much appreciated the ability to freely rotate the camera with the right stick. When you get a large golem in the party, it can make seeing everything more annoying than it should be.

Still my gripes are minor, and for the most part rather nitpicky. I don't have experience with other JRPGS to compare to, but I'm having a very good time with this so far and it's unfortunate the game isn't getting more attention.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 03:50:39 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2006, 05:31:34 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 03, 2006, 03:20:34 AM

Quote from: depward on September 02, 2006, 11:53:22 PM

Yeah, that harem-looking girl's 5 sector life drain rocks.  I've been using her a lot lately, along with Primose.

If you can, I would recommend obtaining the skill for Atsuma that let's you increase your parameters.  Do that, then do your main single-grid attack and watch the damage fly!

Is that something you have to activate, or is it always on?

Activate. Takes a turn to use and stuff. And only works on him (although there are other skills on Golems that do it to party members in general).

And the max number of Golems you can keep on you (gaining experience, but not skill points) is 8. Any extras you have to store in the shop (where they don't gain experience anymore).

As for Karin...yeah, she doesn't pull her weight all that well. Yes, she can heal and all, but her damage is relatively sub-par. Then again, the only attack I use for her is her 3 square water attack. Make sure you craft/purchase her weapon upgrade. Makes a noticable difference.

Finally - yes, the game is very sub-par in telling you some important things (like status effects in combat). The help screens tell you some things, but important blurbs like those it's sorely lacking in. And as you said, yes, the interface could be streamlined drastically in places. I also hate games that don't 'remember' where your save device is over the course of playing a game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2006, 10:23:03 AM »

Quote from: depward on September 02, 2006, 11:53:22 PM

Around where I am, I've found that I needed to switch Golems around due to their FP decreasing.  So definately keep a good stock (I believe the max is 8?  10?  One of those) of golems with you.

assuming you actually mean VP instead of FP, i can honestly say that's not a problem i've run into much at all so far.  as long as you put together a strong party and control all the battles yourself, you should be able to end most fights in no more than 2-3 turns and avoid losing a lot of VP.  in most cases, i can finish a battle in two turns or less, so my characters either lose no VP or only a couple points at a time.  only losing two VP at a time in a character with at least 30-40 points means you can fight for quite a while without running into trouble.  i've always stumbled across another healing device before low VP has become an issue.

Quote from: Misguided on September 03, 2006, 03:31:00 AM

I'd swear I had an instance earlier where an attack did half damage but the target had no shield. Attack and target were both earth.

if you use an attack that is governed by the same attribute as the enemy you are attacking, you will only do half damage...conversely, attacking with an opposite attribute skill will do double damage.  you have to be using elemental skills to see these differences though...just using a character with the same or opposite governing attribute won't make a difference if you're not using elemental attacks.  keeping those two factors in mind during a battle can make a huge difference in the outcome if you have a well designed team.  if you pay attention, you'll find that most areas tend to have larger proportion of enemies governed by one attribute than the rest...set your party up with characters that counter the most common attribute and you can have a significant advantage.  for example, i've been using the Mage Guardian a lot recently because it's a 'light' creature and i've been going up against a lot of 'dark' enemies in my current location.  i have it's base attack up to about 225dmg now, and it's doubled against any 'dark' creature, making for one hell of an attack.  my party of Atsuma, Karin, Raigar, and Mage Guardian is kicking some serious ass most of the time...hit a combo attack with all four of them together tonight that did a little over 1750dmg thanks to the doubling against 'dark' characters icon_cool

For those on the fence, the further you go in the game, the more strategic and involved the combat is becoming (in a good way). The game does a tremendous job of slowly introducing new things in terms of the abilities of the foes you face and of the golems you can make. For instance, I now have a golem (sasquatch) that takes up a 2*2 area on the grid and makes maneuvering your characters to get off the perfect attack that much more difficult.

i'll definitely second this...complexity of combat and necessity of strategy is really starting to pick up, and it's a great system.  i have a few large golems now (Amazonia, Cerberus, and Sasquatch) but don't really like using them because they get in the way and i don't find their skills all that useful.   the difficulty of combat has increased noticeably for me in the last couple hours as well.  while i was finishing most of the early battles in a single round, i'm often going two or three turns now and have hit a couple big battles that unexpectedly have wiped out my party.  my toughest battle so far has been the one to win the NB Destroyer core...four of those golems that all do big damage over a nine-square area, have 500HP, and always caught me off guard at the beginning of the battle.  as soon as you start the battle, all four of them attack and each one nails most of your party simultaneously due to the large area of their attack.  i had to replay that one at least ten times before i got a lucky placement that kept half my party from getting wiped out before i could even move.  i eventually figured out a strategy that worked and got the core and golem for my collection though.

OH! That reminds me...I felt like a dolt when I realized this, but in case no one else has noticed, you can select the golems you are fighting and see what all their skills are and the effect area of those skills. That adds another level of strategy in terms of positioning people defensively, especially when they are of an opposing element. The strategy is really deep yet not at all overwhelming thus far.

i stumbled across this as well...pretty handy to see what kind of attacks you can expect.  it's tough to position defensively when the enemy has a chance to move before attack though.

after another marathon gaming session this evening, i'm about 16 hours into the game and am still really enjoying it...story has picked up big time and the gameplay is gradually getting more challenging to keep combat interesting.  i'm still finding it odd how they're always talking about Atsuma's arm though...makes for some funny dialog at times, but it does work in regard to the story so far.  i'd say i've made a big enough dent in the game, but still have far enough to go, that i'll probably wind up buying it when it comes time to take my rental back.  i'm not sure it'll be a long-term keeper, but it's interesting enough that i think i'll want to see how it all ends.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2006, 02:09:39 PM »

Yeah, I had the suspicion that like vs like did half damage but I only noticed the one time and appreciate the confirmation.
Re: Karin, I haven't bought a core for her, but:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I made the one I found in the London Sewers

What governs who attacks first...is it agility? If not, what does agility do?
Edit: Yes, agility does do this..found it in the help screens...note to self RTFHS

Edit again: just found the advanced combat tutorial *smacks self*
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 02:50:17 PM by Misguided » Logged

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2006, 05:34:11 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 03, 2006, 02:09:39 PM

Yeah, I had the suspicion that like vs like did half damage but I only noticed the one time and appreciate the confirmation.
Re: Karin, I haven't bought a core for her, but:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I made the one I found in the London Sewers

What governs who attacks first...is it agility? If not, what does agility do?
Edit: Yes, agility does do this..found it in the help screens...note to self RTFHS

i've upgradee Karin's weapon twice (blue and silver i think), but she's still pretty weak compared to the rest of my party.  i keep her around, however, because she has a nice heal skill and just recently acquired the ability to revive fallen party members.  i haven't had to use those abilities much so far, but they've come in handy a couple times.

as for the agility issue, they definitely don't make it very clear exactly how the system works, but i read online somewhere that first attack is determined by adding up the total agility of each team and comparing them.  this seems a little odd to me when you think about the different number of enemies you sometimes fight.  in any case, i've occassionally been pumping a few points into agility and very rarely find myself being 'caught offguard' as of now.  there are a few battles, however, in which i think it's programmed to make you go second every time (like the NB Destroyer fight i mentioned above).

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2006, 05:50:39 PM »

You guys are making it very very hard to stay away from this one. Gamefly, as usual, did not ship it to me, so now I have to decide how to find it. And I want to play it. Grrr.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2006, 05:52:29 PM »

I'll be sure to buy a used copy from the trading forum when one of you tire of it. icon_wink

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2006, 06:12:29 PM »

I decided to pick up the skill that adds 20% to "speed" which is really agility and that has helped keep me from getting ambushed.

I'm doing better with Karin now, after upgrading her a bit. Can anyone who has used her poison mist tell me what it does? Is it worth the 3000sp to learn?
I'm not clear on how poison affects you.

Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2006, 06:42:20 PM »

This is my first time posting to these forums on Gt,  but I do feel like a regular just from reading all the posts on this forum.  First off I wasn't going to buy this title until the all your posts... This has happened more then once with the GT effect and I have to say I have never been disappointed yet... Thanks again for making me go spend 60.00 for this title... I blame everybody!!!! icon_twisted icon_twisted icon_twisted

Briko

Briko
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2006, 07:14:55 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 03, 2006, 06:12:29 PM

I'm doing better with Karin now, after upgrading her a bit. Can anyone who has used her poison mist tell me what it does? Is it worth the 3000sp to learn?
I'm not clear on how poison affects you.

Poison causes a small bit of damage (seems to be percentage based) at the end of the turn. Generally not a powerful skill, unless your target has a ton of HP. And Poison Mist is the upgrade to Karin's only useful attack skill (the water one), so it's definitely worth getting. SP is starting to flow in now (getting ~500 a fight), so saving to spend it in a large chunk doesn't involve much time.

Quote from: Briko on September 03, 2006, 06:42:20 PM

This is my first time posting to these forums on Gt,  but I do feel like a regular just from reading all the posts on this forum.  First off I wasn't going to buy this title until the all your posts... This has happened more then once with the GT effect and I have to say I have never been disappointed yet... Thanks again for making me go spend 60.00 for this title... I blame everybody!!!! icon_twisted icon_twisted icon_twisted

And the Gaming Trend Forum Effect takes another victim. And better yet, it also causes somebody else to register for the forums. Welcome to the party.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2006, 07:29:19 PM »

Welcome to the forums Briko!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2006, 07:38:50 PM »

Welcome Briko!

I'm 14 hours in and having a blast.

Thanks for the advice Destructor.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2006, 07:48:57 PM »

I'm in 16 hours now!  Karin doesn't seem to pull her weight until you increase her parameters a bit.  Where I'm at right now in the game however, she is a mandatory active group member for her heals, status removals, range attacks, even her direct attacks pack a lot more punch. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2006, 12:49:45 PM »

Quote from: disarm on September 03, 2006, 05:34:11 PM

(like the NB Destroyer fight i mentioned above).

Disarm, I was wondering if I had passed this or not. Is it before Karin got her revive ability? I just got cores for a couple of golems that have a burst shot like you described but they have other names.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 12:51:40 PM by Misguided » Logged

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2006, 12:56:05 PM »

Having watched a really impressive cutscene just now, I am wondering if there is any way to play cutscenes ouside of loading a save and going through the sequence again?

Maybe after finishing the game?

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2006, 02:30:40 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 04, 2006, 12:49:45 PM

Disarm, I was wondering if I had passed this or not. Is it before Karin got her revive ability? I just got cores for a couple of golems that have a burst shot like you described but they have other names.

You'll find the NB Destroyer (which I'm not impressive with) in a room that has floors where if you step on them, a door in front of you will close. It's pretty much as specific as I can get (and you'll notice the room with that description) without resorting to spoilers.

If I remember right though, it's after Karin gets revive.

And no way that I know of to replay cutscenes, short of making save games beforehand. Maybe once you beat it some options will open up.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2006, 02:54:36 PM »

Am I slow or what? Isn't the game supposed to be 40 or some hours long? I am 21 hours and I am 34% of my way through the game.

Glad I didn't go by the review ratings on this game, its corny and simple, but it's fun.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2006, 03:30:05 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 04, 2006, 02:54:36 PM

Am I slow or what? Isn't the game supposed to be 40 or some hours long? I am 21 hours and I am 34% of my way through the game.

Don't know if it's the case with Enchanted Arms, but in many games the percentage is based off of optional content too so you can essentially beat the game with 70% or so done. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »

Glad I didn't go by the review ratings on this game, its corny and simple, but it's fun.

Not nearly as slow as I am. I've got close to 20 hours amd am running about 20%.
I'm pretty deliberate in how I play. I'll sit there for a minute in some fights trying to figure out how to clear the field in one round or how to get over-breaks on everyone.

If you look in the menus, there's a sort of "timeline" for the story that shows you how much is left.

Oh btw, I think I figured out my question about "Turn ELM"...there are sonic attacks that switch you to the opposite element for determining how much damage you take from attacks. Seems like that could be really useful when fighting guys with the same element as your heavy hitters.

I think my only real complaint about the game is that I would have liked a little bit more exploration in it. At least up to this point, it is entirely on rails. I'm not looking for Elder Scrolls here, but it might have been nice if, for example, you could have left the road in some of the outdoor areas.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 03:48:52 PM by Misguided » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2006, 05:27:54 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 04, 2006, 03:46:37 PM

If you look in the menus, there's a sort of "timeline" for the story that shows you how much is left.

Oh btw, I think I figured out my question about "Turn ELM"...there are sonic attacks that switch you to the opposite element for determining how much damage you take from attacks. Seems like that could be really useful when fighting guys with the same element as your heavy hitters.

BTW - there's also a history of what you've done in the game so far buried somewhere else in the menus. Useful if you've forgotten what you last did.

And for myself - 24% progress at 15 hours and change.

Nice find about the Turn ELM thing. Too bad that isn't in the manual anywhere. Like most things about the game.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2006, 05:49:16 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on September 04, 2006, 12:56:05 PM

Having watched a really impressive cutscene just now, I am wondering if there is any way to play cutscenes ouside of loading a save and going through the sequence again?
no way to view the cutscenes outside the game as far as i know, which is a real shame considering how cool some of them have been.  i've been keeping my most recent save before major events for exactly that reason...can retry the major battles, then watch the cutscene again.  personally, i think the cutscenes in eM are some of the coolest i've seen since Ninja Gaiden, and the ones in that game are some of my favorites.

Quote from: Destructor on September 04, 2006, 02:30:40 PM

Quote from: Misguided on September 04, 2006, 12:49:45 PM

You'll find the NB Destroyer (which I'm not impressive with) in a room that has floors where if you step on them, a door in front of you will close. It's pretty much as specific as I can get (and you'll notice the room with that description) without resorting to spoilers.
If I remember right though, it's after Karin gets revive.

i can't remember if it's before or after Karin gets her revive skill, but here's a slightly more detailed spoiler if Destructor's info isn't enough (still not giving away any plot points though)...
Spoiler for Hiden:
NB Destroyer is in the Magic Laboratory in the destroyed Yokohama city, just before you face Queen of Ice for the second time.  you have to figure out the little door puzzle Destructor mentioned to get it...and there's a second golem in the same area, but i can't remember the name.
to be honest, i'm not impressed with the NB Destroyer either...pretty weak attack unless you really take the time to increase its stats.  i haven't been motivated to do that with so many other golems that are more powerful from the start.

i'm at roughly the same point...about 21 hours and 35%.  according to the story completion bar, i'm a little over a third of the way through.  i'm pretty sure that completion percentage is based not only on story progression, but also how many of the golems and skills you're acquired.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2006, 07:20:07 PM »

I'm sitting at 46% with 24 hours playtime with no grinding. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
depward

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2006, 07:52:17 PM »

I'm at a part of the game where the random battles are HARD.  And I'm only 8 or so hours in!  I don't think I'm leveling my party members appropriately - I think I've hardly increased any of their parameters.

Any tips/help?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2006, 08:00:14 PM »

Quote from: depward on September 04, 2006, 07:52:17 PM

I'm at a part of the game where the random battles are HARD.  And I'm only 8 or so hours in!  I don't think I'm leveling my party members appropriately - I think I've hardly increased any of their parameters.

Any tips/help?

Never had any randoms that were really hard. I think your problem is not upping your parameters enough. I usually save about 3000-5000 SP for new skills, everything else goes into whatever the key parameters for that character is. And I always throw a few points (450 or so) into agility to ensure I always move first. With the right party combination I blow through even most of the set battles.

With golems there is no reason to keep a reserve of SP, use them right away. I alternate out golems so I have  a fair share of average too good replacements, but I do have a couple of favorites.

Another thing I try to do is keep some long range hitters in the group. You usually want a couple of guys who can hit the back row hard.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2006, 08:37:25 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 04, 2006, 08:00:14 PM

Quote from: depward on September 04, 2006, 07:52:17 PM

Any tips/help?

Never had any randoms that were really hard. I think your problem is not upping your parameters enough. I usually save about 3000-5000 SP for new skills, everything else goes into whatever the key parameters for that character is. And I always throw a few points (450 or so) into agility to ensure I always move first. With the right party combination I blow through even most of the set battles.

With golems there is no reason to keep a reserve of SP, use them right away. I alternate out golems so I have  a fair share of average too good replacements, but I do have a couple of favorites.

Another thing I try to do is keep some long range hitters in the group. You usually want a couple of guys who can hit the back row hard.
Cool thanks - I've been pretty much saving all of my SP to use for learning skills for the human characters.  I think that's the problem!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2006, 02:16:17 AM »

I have to say, I love the story of this game at times. Not only does it draw you in, but it's worth a few laughs as well. I'm tossing this into spoilers, but it's so non-specific that you have no idea what's going on:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You: She's not a spy. She's a female midget. Where's her sex appeal? Where's her curves?
Party Member 2: Good point.
Party Member 3: Good point.
Random person nearby: Good point.
Yet another random person nearby: Good point.
Spy: Why you...

It's the little things in life that get me to laugh, I guess.  icon_biggrin

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2006, 02:27:42 AM »

Agreed Destructor, that part was good.

I just figured out the EP off an attack is about how much damage it will do. Also that your character's attribute (fire, water, etc) doesn't matter for attacks, it only matters for defense. The attribute of the attack you use does matter though. I should have paid more attention hours ago. All this time I thought if Atsuma was fire and attacked a water enemy he would do more damage, I never realized I had to use a fire attack for it to matter. disgust
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2006, 04:12:56 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 05, 2006, 02:27:42 AM

I just figured out the EP off an attack is about how much damage it will do.

Actually, that is exactly how much damage you'll do. Well, before modifiers like cover (attacking somebody with a multi-square attack that allows a person to get in front of the attack somehow - blocks half the listed damage), defenses (some enemies have a power to increase their damage resistance - it bluntly shows it next to them when it's up), elemental type (if you're using an elemental attack that's the same type they are, you'll do half damage; if it's the opposite, you'll do double damage (I think it's half and double - not sure)), and combo bonuses (when you launch a combo attack).

This also holds true for heal spells (the number is exactly how much you'll heal) and EP drain powers (the number is exactly how much you'll drain - not how much damage you'll do (which is zero)).

Also, here's what the game's counter elements are:

Fire <--> Water
Earth <--> Wind
Light <--> Dark

Most dungeons have enemies of one or two specific types. If you happen to have a Golem who has attacks of their counter type, pull them out and attack their weak point for massive damage. Just be careful they don't get killed in the counter attack.

Personally, I like knowing exactly how much damage you'll do in a single hit. It turns the game into a part puzzle game. I'm always trying to figure out how many guys (if not all of them) I can kill each round. The tactics to do so vary wildly based on enemy and player placement. That's what keeps it interesting after 20+ hours of fighting.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2006, 05:27:23 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 05, 2006, 04:12:56 AM

Personally, I like knowing exactly how much damage you'll do in a single hit. It turns the game into a part puzzle game. I'm always trying to figure out how many guys (if not all of them) I can kill each round. The tactics to do so vary wildly based on enemy and player placement. That's what keeps it interesting after 20+ hours of fighting.

EXACTLY! Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.
Incidentally, not that it matters too much, but it is possible to go first on the NB Destroyer fight  icon_wink

I've got one thing that worries me...
I can't get the mage guardian out of my party. Massive single target damage, plus a high damage area power that meshes very well with Raigar's attacks.

My concern is that at some point, I'm going to wish I had some stronger alternates.

By the way, has anyone tried the golem battles? Care to tell us what they are like?

Dang...I've been playing for 3 hours and it feels like a blink.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2006, 06:15:05 AM »

So far have about 10.5 hours logged and I must say I'm happy with the purchase.  Thanks to Lee and my dumbness by not using any SP points to increase parameters, I was making the game a little bit harder than it should have been.

Like the graphics, the story is a bit 'eh' but has potential, characters are somewhat interesting, golem design is cool, battle system is fun, just a very fun, somewhat simplistic but refreshing to play RPG.

I haven't used the Mage Guardian golem ONCE.  Maybe I'm missing out... but that's the thing!  Misguided could be heavily using the Mage Guardian and I can be not ever using him - I like the variety of options.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2006, 06:32:23 AM »

The Mage Guardian is one of my favorite golems. Long range with substantial power. As far as alternatives, if you invest some time into some of the others they become very powerful. Especially the front row golems.

And the Golem casino battles are just like random fights. Pretty easy for the most part. Work your way through them as you can.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2006, 01:23:21 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 05, 2006, 05:27:23 AM

By the way, has anyone tried the golem battles? Care to tell us what they are like?

You (you can set up your party however you want with your currently available characters and golems) against a set level and quanity of mobs.

And I haven't used the Mage Golem either. Maybe I should have, with all the Dark alligned enemies I've faced recently...

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2006, 01:54:55 PM »

Quick question for those past the 24% mark:

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the lab room with all the electrical equipment, there was a platform that wouldn't move unless you restored power to it. I didn't see a switch to enable it and thought I'd be able to go back to it, but that's not the case. I'm wondering if what was down there is worth replaying through the boss fights. If it's just money, I don't care, but if there were a neat skill or something, I'd jump back to that spot.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2006, 02:33:13 PM »

I just picked this up based on all your comments.
I haven't gone too far in because I ended up watching Dane Cook's comedy special on HBO, but so far it is exactly how everyone is describing.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2006, 09:53:57 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 05, 2006, 01:54:55 PM

Quick question for those past the 24% mark:

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the lab room with all the electrical equipment, there was a platform that wouldn't move unless you restored power to it. I didn't see a switch to enable it and thought I'd be able to go back to it, but that's not the case. I'm wondering if what was down there is worth replaying through the boss fights. If it's just money, I don't care, but if there were a neat skill or something, I'd jump back to that spot.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Pretty sure there was just a chest down there with money, but my memory is known to be faulty. Almost positive there wasn't a golem though.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2006, 10:16:16 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on September 05, 2006, 02:33:13 PM

I just picked this up based on all your comments.
I haven't gone too far in because I ended up watching Dane Cook's comedy special on HBO, but so far it is exactly how everyone is describing.

just wait...i'm about 24 hours in now and it's only gotten better the longer i've played.  just about everything in the game improves as you progress...engrossing story, cool golems, and increasingly interesting combat have kept my interest high despite a marathon weekend of play (~24hrs in three days).  you won't regret the purchase icon_cool

Quote from: Misguided on September 05, 2006, 05:27:23 AM

I've got one thing that worries me...
I can't get the mage guardian out of my party. Massive single target damage, plus a high damage area power that meshes very well with Raigar's attacks.

My concern is that at some point, I'm going to wish I had some stronger alternates.

i'm the same way...Mage Guardian is such a great golem for me now (able to do ~325 light dmg with his big attack) that i have a hard time leaving him behind.  seeing Atsuma, Raigar, and MG all hit at the same time for a combo of almost 200dmg is just awesome.  that said, i have started branching out a little, typically using the golems with different elemental long-range attacks to back up Atsuma and Raigar.  i recently found Poseidon and it's almost like a water-based equivalent of the Mage Guardian once you power him up a little.  i've really been trying to work on developing good golems for various situations, but it is hard when you find one party combination that works so well.

as for combos, i found out some more interesting info when i skimmed a strategy guide at CompUSA a couple days ago.  apparently each attacker in a combo has an increasingly higher multiplier applied to their damage as they stack.  the last guy to attack will have the biggest multiplier, so it pays to think about the attack order during a combo...for max dmg, have each of your guys go in increasing order of the amount of damage they'll do to the target.  the strategy guide had the exact multipliers listed, but i can't remember them now...something like 1.2x for the first and up to 1.8x for the last attackers.  if you can get the fourth guy to hit with opposite dmg, you're talking an almost quadruple dmg attack.  pretty awesom icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2006, 10:33:27 PM »

Quote from: disarm on September 05, 2006, 10:16:16 PM

the strategy guide had the exact multipliers listed, but i can't remember them now...something like 1.2x for the first and up to 1.8x for the last attackers.  if you can get the fourth guy to hit with opposite dmg, you're talking an almost quadruple dmg attack.  pretty awesom icon_cool

I had seen that too, but didn't realize it hadn't been posted. Think you hit the numbers on the head (1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 ).
Yeah, my Mage Guardian is up to 300 on that attack.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:19:37 AM by Misguided » Logged

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2006, 10:53:58 PM »

While the plethora of golems to find is interesting, so far it has become brutally obvious that only a few of them are worth your time. While things like bosses you've defeated (Cerebus, etc) are really cool to have, the reality is having a 4 slot pet limits your tactically options enough that if he isn't using some AoE lifetap or +50% Damage Buff (Sasquach), it just isn't worth it.

That and I've just hit 50% in the game and have yet to find a solid replacement for Werewolf, the very capable Wind Golem.

Other than that, fun game, if not a little simple (and too easy to cheat).

Stolen directly from DQ8:

Go to Roulette Table. Place 42 bets on the entire left side of the board, starting at 1 and going to about 14 I think. Spin. 1/3 chance one hits and you make at least 4 times your money. Make sure to save before hand. If you win, bingo. If you lose, reload and do the same. Able to get 400000 Casino chips in London at the beginning and buying Restore Orbs, selling for 600 at the store across the way, unlimited cash. It gets even better when God's Breaths cost 400 chips and you can sell em for 2500 bucks each. Buy all golems,skills, orbs, whatever you need at will, including 1200 free SP each time you get one of the Skill orbs. My entire team is breaking 1500 HP for only a few hours of work.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2006, 11:33:31 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on September 05, 2006, 10:53:58 PM

That and I've just hit 50% in the game and have yet to find a solid replacement for Werewolf, the very capable Wind Golem.

And I skipped over Werewolf as he basically sucked when I took a look at his skills.

Maybe this explains why my fights tend to be two rounders instead of ones (as I tend to use the Mermaid as my Golem - but now I realize that I really don't need two healers anymore as Karin knows her stuff)...

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2006, 12:22:16 AM »

Heh...I didn't like the werewolf either.
Saquatch is occasionally useful in boss fights as you mentioned, round one get +50% to params and unleash a counter-element EX can be pretty potent.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: