http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 04:52:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enchanted Arms First Impressions  (Read 18288 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2006, 10:14:11 PM »

Impression after 90 minutes:

PROS:

-Excellent map system
-Character interaction is generally engaging and sometimes funny
-Crisp, vivid graphics
-Save anywhere
-Battle system appears to be rather entertaining. Allows for fast forward and auto complete
-Golemn system is very fun
-There are options to display all the text on the screen at once

CONS
-The gay character is waaaaaay over the top (has a lisping voice, giggles, calls himself a "love slave" to another seemingly heterosexual NPC,  etc)
-Character animations during in-game conversations are very robotic and their swift arm movements can be distracting
-The graphics could be far better for a next-gen system. Think Oblivion, or Final Fantasy XXII, but with smoother and shinier environments.
-The tutorial stage is taking way too long

This is going to be one of those games that is hard to peg. I think the developers made of few early game decisions that may come back to bite them in the ass.

The first mistake is characterization:

The gay character is somewhat endearing, and is obviouly there for comedic relief, but he is just too far over the top. Remember the sitcom Will and Grace? Will has that gay male friend whose name escapes me. Well, think of him in a pink flamingo suit, and talking with a lisp. Then you have your main character , Atsuma, who is disliked by just about EVERYONE because he is such a slacker and idiot. There is even (no joke) an "Anti-Atsuma" club in the opening school filled with people who hate you. Then you have Atsuma's best friend Toya, who is an overacieving brainiac. The woman all love him, the teachers adore him, and gayboy has a crush on him. That is your starting party.

Strangely, the dynamics between the main characters are entertaining, but the developers made the mistake of making them too polar in one direction. Makoto is too gay, Atsuma is way too foolish and naive, and Toya is too fatherly and stern. This will obviously change as the characters evolve, but I'm betting ALOT of people will be turned off by their initial impressions of these three characters.

The second mistake is the tutorial:

Quite simply, the game holds your hand for far too long. NPCs spend too much time reminding you of this, that, and everything else. Again. And again. And again. "Hey you can break open that box by hitting the A button" "Look! Another box! Don't forget the A button!" "Isn't that a box over there? Let's practice using the A button!"

The third mistake is that the opening environment sucks:

You will spend your first hour at school, being chastised by everyone. People will tell you just how much of a slacker you are. How stupid you are. How you should be more like your friend Toya.  It actually got to be irritating. Yes, the opening CGI has you asleep in class, but I don't need to be reminded of my deficiencies by every other NPC. In short, starting a game in a school where evryone has contempt for you may not be the best way to begin a game.

One other rather distracting point centers around dialogue. I'm sure many of you RPG players are familiar with the character portraits that reside over the conversation boxes. Well, in Enchanted Arms those charcter portraits are animated from the waist up. Unfortunately, when the character makes gestures, they are robotic and swift. Imagine if in real life every time you spoke to someone their hand shot to their forehead at about Mach 2. Then it flew back to their hips. Its somewhat disconcerting.

So what is right about the game?

From Software did get alot of the details right. The battle system does work well, and there is a repectable amount of strategy involved in making decisions. Also, if you get tired of the random battles you can fast forward through them or just hit auto and be done with it. The map system is phenomenal so you won't get lost as you pass through the large environments. You can save anywhere. Speech can be in Japanese or English. The inventory system is streamlined and easy to use. Basically, the details of the game go a long way to salvaging all the broad strokes that the development house stumbled upon.

The golemn system looks like it will be alot of fun. There are nearly 100 collectible golemns in the game, and they can all be used in battle, renamed, synthesized, etc. Another wonderful thing about the battles is that they take place on a grid, and definitely do involves some strategy. Characters standing behind you take less damage, certain attacks can only reach certain opposing hexes, attacks have different attributes (fire, water, etc.) so it is possible to do double damage by using the right character and attack. It is also very important to understand the range of your character attacks. For example, if all of your long-range attackers are knocked out, it is possible for the enemy to continue attacking you from a range that you cannot perform any return attacks. Therefore, who can attack where, how, and with what becomes vital to success. It really is entertaining in comparison to usual turn-based affairs.

I'm still very early in the game, but I would rate it at about 75-80%. Despite its faults, it is a solid creation and the characters are rather entertaining. Considering that gameplay is estimated to be between 40 and 50 hours, I think the asking price is fair. More later.

Please feel free to ask questions.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 10:24:03 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 02:24:31 AM »

Update:

I've played for another hour and the game is definitely becoming more interesting. The storyline is gathering speed, and I've had a chance to engage in more combat. I'm very happy to see that the random encounters are much more infrequent than many games I've played. There seems to be one about every 15-20 seconds. Combat has been very easy to this point, much easier than the early portions of Dragon Quest VIII or Nocturne.

The characters are beginning to grow on me, and even the super flaming Makota is a likeable character.

I'd still rate the game at about 75%. I'm definitely not disappointed with the purchase.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:13:03 AM »

Thanks, Dante for the impressions.  I'm very on the fence about this one.  You're nudging me over, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 04:20:52 AM »

i may be picking this up tomorrow - if i do ill add my 2 cents
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 05:56:27 AM »

Played about an hour - very much enjoying it!

I like the overall LOOK of the game.  To me, it's very visually pleasing.  Good character art (so far), nice environments, etc.

Makoto is really, really gay.  But I find it pretty funny whenever he talks.  I know some homosexual people so listening to Makoto really doesn't bother me.  In fact, I usually find myself shaking my head and laughing a bit about how he looooves Toya so.  Funny stuff.

I like the way it shows the characters pretty much torso-up when they're interacting.  Very cool.  And something I like in RPGs - character portraits when engaged in discussion.  As Dante notes, the movements are a bit 'robotic' when they're talking, but it wasn't really bothering me at all.

LOVE the save anywhere feature.  Very nice!

So far so coolio.  Though, I would just about take any JRPG for the 360, so of course my 'impressions' are a bit biased.  But I'm having fun with it   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »

First thing I did was to change the voices to Japanese.  I much prefer to do so when I have the option.  Even if the voice acting isn't the best, I won't know it that way.

The dialog is very typical manga/anime so far (all 15 minutes I've played).  Again, no problem for myself, I love the style.

More opinions later.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 11:06:00 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 31, 2006, 09:55:00 AM

First thing I did was to change the voices to Japanese.  I much prefer to do so when I have the option.  Even if the voice acting isn't the best, I won't know it that way.

The dialog is very typical manga/anime so far (all 15 minutes I've played).  Again, no problem for myself, I love the style.

More opinions later.

Heh, I did the same thing. The character dynamic of the trio is interesting...
Makoto is crazy jealous of the attention Toya pays to Atsuma. Atsuma thinks Makoto's affections for Atsuma are creepy. Makoto, for his part, doesn't seem to discourage Makoto's affections at all and seems like he wishes he were like Atsuma.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 12:45:32 PM »

This is in my gamefly que.  I should have it sometime next week

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 01:16:37 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 31, 2006, 09:55:00 AM

Heh.  I do that too when a game allows it.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 01:49:59 PM »

I'm about 6 hours in and the battles are getting even harder now.  A couple hours back I was able to fly through the battles using the
"Auto" command.  Now, I have to place each of my members in an optimal position so I won't get rolled over. 

For the voice acting, I find myself switching from Japanese to English and so far I like both  :icon_eek:

Collecting and making Golems is great! I have about 8 of them now.

You can only have 4 in your active party at a time, but even if some party characters are not active, they still get experience!

All in all, a solid purchase for me.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »

About 4 hours in and i'm liking the game so far.  Haven't gotten to any really difficult battles yet, but the mechanics seem pretty good.  Makato doesn't bother me too much, besides the party need a healer.  The cxonstant tutorial for the first 3 hours can get annoying, but once you're through it you don't have to worry about it again.  I'd give the game a 7.5 to an 8 so far.  I should have a better idea after another 10 hours or so.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 08:04:36 PM »

I've spent a few more hours with the game, and it definitely becomes more impressive as you continue. As I stated earlier, this title will most likely flounder because the developers made some poor decisions with the opening portion of the game. I'm not sure how many people will look past the initial hurdles and Makoto's homosexual overtones, but Enchanted Arms definitely gets better with each passing hour.

I'm still able to auto through most battles, but I have been caught in a bind once or twice by doing so. Thank God for the save anywhere feature. I'm also really enjoying the character interaction. In some ways it reminds me of my college days- friends would often bicker and make sarcastic remarks to one another, but there was never any doubt that there was a strong friendship behind the biting remarks.

And the golemns are definitely a cool addition to the gameplay.

80%. 

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 09:48:44 PM »

Which golem did you folks pick as your first, and was it a good choice for you?

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 10:19:19 PM »

I took the healing golemn. Your normal NPCs have enough firepower, and you gain more golemns soon.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 12:24:50 AM »

I'm 22% in the game, and my favorite golem so far is "Lord Onyx"

Great defense and offense and becomes a real badass when you start to increase its parameters.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 05:06:31 AM »

I finally put some time into this, and short of the really, REALLY gay guy, this is a great RPG so far. It's nearly indefinitely customizable - if you'd rather run around with 3 Golems as your teammates instead of the standard party, go right ahead. Or if you'd rather work on powering up your stats instead of learning new skills - that's also allowed.

The graphics are nice (finally, a next-gen RPG that looks like a next-gen RPG), the voice acting is surprisingly good (once you get over Makoto, anyway), and the save-anywhere mechanic allows you to play in very short bursts if that's all the time you have. It also includes a mechanic that should by used in ALL RPGs from here on out - the ability to hold down a button during combat to drastically speed up the fight round.

As of right now, I'm quite inpressed with this game. Definitely worth the purchase if you're in the mood for what looks to be a good, long RPG.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 05:27:55 AM »

What's the average length of one battle?  I saw a grid system in the videos, is it like the tactics rpgs like ogre or FF?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 11:03:06 AM »

Haven't done much fighting yet, but I can tell you there's an incentive to finish fights as fast as possible.
HP and energy are recovered for each fight, but vitality isn't. Vitality drops each turn, so there's incentive to use larger powers when possible.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 01:42:25 PM »

Quote from: stuntgibbon on September 01, 2006, 05:27:55 AM

What's the average length of one battle?  I saw a grid system in the videos, is it like the tactics rpgs like ogre or FF?

As of where I am right now (a few hours in), my fights tend to end in a single round. Which translates into about 30 seconds, or less if I speed up the fight round and skip through the results screen. Another plus - it loads back into where you were before combat immediately after the fight (although you have a 3 second load time before the fight itself).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 03:16:43 PM »

I'm about ten hours in now, and the game continues to impress me. The golem aspect is really fun and the battle system is just entertaining enough to keep me interested. Battles still continue to be relatively easy, so I'm hoping the difficulty ramps up.After playing somthing like Nocturne, this game is a walk in the park.

I was speaking to someone who finished the Japanese version of the game, and he said that there are two poor parts of the game- the very beginning, and a small portion in the middle that involved a puzzle area. Other than that he was impressed with the game and called it a "good step in the right direction for a Microsoft Japanese RPG."

-The bad news is that this game appears to be tanking. It has sold about 5,000 units in Japan, and the EBgames DM that I know said the interest in the game is "surprisingly poor."

-Another strange rumor about the game: The grapevine has it that the game was not, in fact, pushed out the door early. Rather, the delays were due to Microsoft forcing the developer to compress and edit/shorten the game to 1 disc so that it wouldn't add fuel to the fire about Microsoft making a poor choice on deciding to go with a plain DVD format. This MAY have some validity, because Masanori Takeuchi, producer of Enchant Arms, way back in a  2005 Famitsu interview was quoted as saying "The volume of data in [Enchant Arms] won't fit into a single DVD. It's an RPG, so we're thinking it would be inevitable that we released it on two discs. But to be honest, that's even looking grim."

Any thoughts on that? I know MS was really getting attacked for the optical media they chose. Since they published this title do you think they would  force a "downsizing" to avoid analysts using a game as an indicator that even 1st generation titles are exceeding the storage capacity of 1 disc?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 03:25:22 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 01, 2006, 03:16:43 PM

Any thoughts on that? I know MS was really getting attacked for the optical media they chose. Since they published this title do you think they would  force a "downsizing" to avoid analysts using a game as an indicator that even 1st generation titles are exceeding the storage capacity of 1 disc?

While I can see that as being possible, the flip side is that they could just have easily turned around and said "this game is so huge it requires 2 DVDs!" as a selling point.  Hell, there are 2 Disc PS2 games out there so it really shouldn't be a big deal.  If Gears of War was on 2 DVDs, I can see their concern, but RPGs have always been pretty heavy on the content. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »

I've done a fair bit more fighting now, but still don't have any idea how combo attacks work nor a good feel for the EX bar. Also, I just realized I could spend SP on attributes, but I'm not sure if I should.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 06:06:08 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 01, 2006, 03:16:43 PM

The grapevine has it that the game was not, in fact, pushed out the door early. Rather, the delays were due to Microsoft forcing the developer to compress and edit/shorten the game

This reads very strange.  Was it pushed out early or was it delayed?  I thought this was a launch title for the 360 in Japan? 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 06:07:32 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 01, 2006, 06:06:08 PM

This reads very strange.  Was it pushed out early or was it delayed?  I thought this was a launch title for the 360 in Japan? 

Launch "window" maybe- it was released in February or March in Japan.  And, yeah, I do recall reading that From Software asked for more time but was turned down by MS. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 06:27:15 PM »

Let me clarify, Kathode:

The developer asked for several MONTHS more time, but was refused. Later the game's release was delayed by several weeks, but actual reasons for the delay were never given. So, depending on how you approach the story it was shipped earlier than desired (Developer perspective) or delayed by several weeks (publisher perspective). Hopefully that clears up my messy post above.

The game was supposed to be a day one release title in Japan, but it was pushed back by several weeks for (according to Famitsu) "modest reworking". Whatever that means.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 06:33:10 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 07:09:30 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 01, 2006, 06:27:15 PM

Let me clarify, Kathode:

The developer asked for several MONTHS more time, but was refused. Later the game's release was delayed by several weeks, but actual reasons for the delay were never given. So, depending on how you approach the story it was shipped earlier than desired (Developer perspective) or delayed by several weeks (publisher perspective). Hopefully that clears up my messy post above.

The game was supposed to be a day one release title in Japan, but it was pushed back by several weeks for (according to Famitsu) "modest reworking". Whatever that means.

Yeah makes more sense.  Although I have trouble imagining a situation where Microsoft is able to force them to ship early, unless MS was the Japanese publisher.  But oh well.  Games like jRPGs that want to pack a ton of hi-res video content are obviously going to be more comfortable with a higher capacity disc, but that's not necessarily without its trade offs.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 07:12:08 PM »

Quote from: kathode
Yeah makes more sense.  Although I have trouble imagining a situation where Microsoft is able to force them to ship early, unless MS was the Japanese publisher.

They were, indeed, the Japanese publisher. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 07:29:38 PM »

I've seen reports that the environments at the end of the game are bland compared to earlier portions...I wonder if that ties in to the notion thta they had to cut down some stuff.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 07:46:16 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 01, 2006, 05:52:10 PM

I've done a fair bit more fighting now, but still don't have any idea how combo attacks work nor a good feel for the EX bar. Also, I just realized I could spend SP on attributes, but I'm not sure if I should.

I have no idea how the combo bar works either, other than it's happened once or twice accidently. The EX bar is the traditional 'super' bar you build up over time during combat - unleash it for uber damage. As for the SP points, you either use it to build up your stats (cheap to start, gets far more expensive as you put in points), or use it to learn new skills  on each character (once you actually learn new skills).

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2006, 08:32:12 AM »

i have a three day weekend without much planned, so i picked up Enchanted Arms as a rental tonight...brought it home and got sucked in for almost five straight hours.  i wasn't quite sure what to expect given all the varying opinions (poor reviews, good opinions here), but i think it's a pretty damn good game so far.  it does start off a little slow and they hold your hand for a little too long, but it's not long before the story starts to take off and it's been a very cool ride so far.  i just got out of Yokohama City, and the series of events that forced me away were some of the coolest scenes i've played/watched in quite a while (reminded me a little of the cutscenes in Ninja Gaiden).  while the voice acting could be better, i'm actually enjoying a lot of the dialog...it's not perfect, but it moves the story along well and has been good for more than a few laughs.  as someone else mentioned, they really build up an interesting dynamic between the initial characters (Atsuma, Toya, and Makoto).  i've even come to like the flaming healer in a weird way...good comic relief and a quality part of your initial party.  while eA may be a collection of japanese RPG cliches, they're all put together well enough that i'll be very pleased if they manage keep the plot and character development going with the same quality i've seen so far.

as for some of the gameplay mechanics, i'm really liking the combat system.  it's very simple on the surface, but there's a good deal of strategy if you really want to make the most of your party's abilities.  while i don't have many golems yet, i can already see where having a large collection to choose from will open up a ton of different strategies.  i chose the healer (Angelina) as my first golem and it has come in very handy...my second was the werewolf just because it looks cool.  the combo system is a little confusing, but it's pretty cool when you pull those more powerful moves off.  i've managed to pull of a three-way combo and few times for some pretty impressive damage.

Quote from: Destructor on September 01, 2006, 07:46:16 PM

Quote from: Misguided on September 01, 2006, 05:52:10 PM

I have no idea how the combo bar works either, other than it's happened once or twice accidently.

watch the combo bar during a battle and you'll see that it goes up a little bit at the end of every turn.  when you see that the bar is full, set two or more characters to attack the same enemy during a turn and they'll perform a combo attack.  the problem is that the combo bar doesn't carry over between battles...it starts out empty at the beginning of every encounter, so you have to be in a fight that lasts more than one or two rounds or it won't have time to fill.  according to the manual, the rate at which the combo bar fills is influenced by your party's FP rating...higher FP suggests your team works together better and can pull off combos more quickly.  i don't think there is really a way to make the combo bar fill more quickly by performing certain actions with your party...just keep an eye on it and take advantage of the times when it does happen to fill up duing a fight.  the EX meter gradually fills during combat as well, but it's different than the combo gauge in that it isn't reset between battles...it will take several battles to build up a full EX meter, so you have to save those attacks for the right time.  it's definitely a little bit confusing...

from a technical standpoint, i think they did a good job as well.  graphically, i think the game looks really good on my 25" SDTV...and all the text is very readable on a non-HD screen for once.  it's not the best looking game on the 360, but the character designs are good, maps are interesting and detailed, combat/spell animations are pretty cool, and the cutscenese look great.  it's also very nice that all the load times i've experienced so far have been very quick.  all the load times seem to be no more than five seconds or so (many are faster), and i've never found myself impatiently waiting for the next area or cutscene to load.  the transitions in and out of battle are also very quick, which i see as a huge plus given the relatively frequent (although not annoyingly so) occurrence of random encounters.

all in all, i'm just shy of fives hours into Enchanted Arms right now and am really enjoying the game so far.  i've not been a huge player of japanese RPGs over the years due to my previous focus on PC gaming, but i thought i'd give eA a shot and i'm glad that i have at this point.  the big question now is how much of the game i can play this weekend before i have to return the rental...and whether i get sucked in enough to buy it just to see the ending...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2006, 11:16:40 AM »

Disarm, I'm at the same point in the game as you are. I'm also enjoying the writing and dialogue. Really anxious to see what's going to happen next.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2006, 01:40:04 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 02, 2006, 11:16:40 AM

Disarm, I'm at the same point in the game as you are. I'm also enjoying the writing and dialogue. Really anxious to see what's going to happen next.

I'm a bit farther in right now (based on what you said, anyway), and I'm still having a blast. Knowing how the Combo system works will be an improvement. I thought I had a Golem that had a power to increase the Combo gauge to full...I'll have to look.

BTW - get a stable of Golems on your side, even if you don't rotate them into your active party too often. Why? Not only will the critters you don't use in your active party gain levels (but not skill points), but some dungeons are so large that if you let the fights drag on too long, you'll be nearing the end of your vitality bar (short of Atsuma). At that point you'll need to swap in a Golem or two just to keep your party going.

In short, don't keep leveling the same 4 party members. Rotate in others every so often for skill points.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2006, 04:43:48 PM »

I had the same sort of 'romp' disarm - kept on checking the friend's list last night and saw you were playing it for a pretty long time like me!  Around the same point if not a little farther in.

I'm enjoying it as well.  Voice acting is a bit better 'now' opposed to how it was in the beginning of the game.  Battle system is fairly fun.  Like the option of just auto-battling if it seems as if my computer can handle the fight within 2 turns.

Actually, in one of the dungeons I was in, I had what Destructor was talking about - some of my character's FP points or whatever were getting quite low.  So I switched in my pizza face golem and others and it was dandy.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2006, 05:28:10 PM »

And I was right - I do have a Golem that has a combo max power. Darlaslez, a Golem you can find standing about in some sewer somewhere (in the second 'segment' of the game relatively early on) has a skill called Mega Link Gain. It maxes the combo gauge of everybody nearby.

One thing to keep in mind though - the combo will NOT fire up the same turn you give everybody the max combo gauge. In other words, even if I give all my characters the max combo status via the Golem as the very first move, they won't combo during that attack round.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2006, 06:25:43 PM »

thanks for the tips Destructor...guess i'll start building my golem collection a little more just to have them ready in an emergency.  although i don't have that many yet, i have at least made a point of having one in my party at all times.  i do like that ability to swap out one or two characters to suit my needs at any given moment.  i'll have to look into that one that maxes your combo guage as that could be a huge help at times.  more frequent combos will go a long way to ending battles quickly and decreaseing your VP drain. 

the more i think about this game, the more i find myself really liking the combat system.  the grid and movement system adds quite a bit more strategy than the typical "choose attack & watch" style of so many other japanese RPGs.  i've had a number of times where i've had to play around with attack order just so that i could get one guy out of the way and the desired character in good position for an optimal turn...and still wind up making some compromises.  this also plays into party selection as you have to pick a mix of characters that can work around each other to attack the same enemies.  having a group of short range, direct attackers would be nice for all the damage they can do, but they can't all stand in the same place at the same time.  it all adds an nice extra layer of strategy to the game icon_cool

Quote from: depward
I'm enjoying it as well.  Voice acting is a bit better 'now' opposed to how it was in the beginning of the game.

ihave to agree with this as well...i'm playing with the english track and it does seem like the voice acting has gotten better.  it's still not the best, but it works well enough.  i'm not looking forward to meeting up with Yuki again though...talk about an annoying voice and character...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 06:28:51 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2006, 09:35:47 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 02, 2006, 05:28:10 PM

And I was right - I do have a Golem that has a combo max power. Darlaslez, a Golem you can find standing about in some sewer somewhere (in the second 'segment' of the game relatively early on) has a skill called Mega Link Gain. It maxes the combo gauge of everybody nearby.

One thing to keep in mind though - the combo will NOT fire up the same turn you give everybody the max combo gauge. In other words, even if I give all my characters the max combo status via the Golem as the very first move, they won't combo during that attack round.

Just finished another session...I have the core for Darlaslev, but haven't made it yet (Lord Onyx as well). I'm going to try it out first chance I get.
I've been using the mage Guardian a lot lately for it's major single target damage. I also like Primrose.
The Sasquatch looks really neat, but i haven't been able to afford the core.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:01:37 PM by Misguided » Logged

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2006, 11:18:53 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 02, 2006, 09:35:47 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 02, 2006, 05:28:10 PM

Just finished another session...I have the core for Darlaslev, but haven't made it yet (Lord Onyx as well). I'm going to try it out first chance I get.
I've been using the mage Guardian a lot lately for it's major single target damage. I also like Primrose.
The Sasquatch looks really neat, but i haven't been able to afford the core.
i've been playing a little more and just got the Darlaslev golem...will be trying out that combo skill soon.  i also made Lord Onyx recently but haven't been using it yet.  i've found myself stuck on using the Mage Guardian just because i can't give up that awesome 'light' attack...especially deadly against all the 'dark' enemies in the london sewer.  the Mage Guardian has been my strongest attacker recently as long as i can get it into the right position...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2006, 11:46:05 PM »

Quote from: disarm on September 02, 2006, 11:18:53 PM

the Mage Guardian has been my strongest attacker recently as long as i can get it into the right position...

Definitely the trick in this game. This is why I like having my Golem be somebody who has the ability to attack beyond the front line. I've been keeping Lord Onyx as my usual member, but I swap in the harem looking girl (very nice 5 sector life drain power), or other golems depending on my needs.

Here's another tip to help battles end quickly - unless you're attacking with an elemental power, or you're attacking with a line attack that allows cover (if it's a straight vertical line, odds are it will), you'll always do the listed damage to your opponent. Use that to judge exactly how much damage you'll do in a round. Sometimes, having other party members go first is exactly what you need to do to get the fight to end in a single round.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2006, 11:53:22 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 02, 2006, 11:46:05 PM

Quote from: disarm on September 02, 2006, 11:18:53 PM

the Mage Guardian has been my strongest attacker recently as long as i can get it into the right position...

Definitely the trick in this game. This is why I like having my Golem be somebody who has the ability to attack beyond the front line. I've been keeping Lord Onyx as my usual member, but I swap in the harem looking girl (very nice 5 sector life drain power), or other golems depending on my needs.

Here's another tip to help battles end quickly - unless you're attacking with an elemental power, or you're attacking with a line attack that allows cover (if it's a straight vertical line, odds are it will), you'll always do the listed damage to your opponent. Use that to judge exactly how much damage you'll do in a round. Sometimes, having other party members go first is exactly what you need to do to get the fight to end in a single round.
Yeah, that harem-looking girl's 5 sector life drain rocks.  I've been using her a lot lately, along with Primose.

If you can, I would recommend obtaining the skill for Atsuma that let's you increase your parameters.  Do that, then do your main single-grid attack and watch the damage fly!

Around where I am, I've found that I needed to switch Golems around due to their FP decreasing.  So definately keep a good stock (I believe the max is 8?  10?  One of those) of golems with you.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2006, 03:20:34 AM »

Quote from: depward on September 02, 2006, 11:53:22 PM

Yeah, that harem-looking girl's 5 sector life drain rocks.  I've been using her a lot lately, along with Primose.

If you can, I would recommend obtaining the skill for Atsuma that let's you increase your parameters.  Do that, then do your main single-grid attack and watch the damage fly!

Is that something you have to activate, or is it always on?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: