http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 05:51:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enchanted ARMS- Caution to PS3 owners  (Read 1454 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:23:02 AM »

For those of you who own the PS3 and Xbox 360:

Grab the xbox 360 version of Enchanted ARMS- NOT the PS3 version. I know a few people who own both, and the ALL state that the further you move through the game, the less refined the PS3 version becomes. Textures are poorer than the 360, the washed out effect increases, and the framerate starts to dip. It seems like the port started out well, but then got rushed toward the middle and end. There are a few comparison shots and reviews at various forums from people who own both. About the only thing that seems to have been truly improved are the load times. Save your PS3 RPG money for Oblivion.

An article confirming what I've been told:
http://www.gamebrink.com/playstation-3/1925-Enchant_Arm-reviews.html

Plus, the 360 version is $20-$30 less, so you'd need to enjoy pissing money away to go with the PS3 version.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:31:26 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 12:24:32 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 03, 2007, 12:23:02 AM

A link to an Armored Core 4 review?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 12:25:09 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 03, 2007, 12:24:32 AM

Damn, you noticed my mistake just as I was fixing it.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 12:25:31 AM »

Hilariously, it's apparently true for both games.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 12:27:29 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 03, 2007, 12:25:31 AM

Hilariously, it's apparently true for both games.

In defense of the PS3 Amored Core, you really need to be looking -hard- for a serious difference between the two versions once you calibrate your screen. AC just moves so fast that details are lost. The same isn't true in an RPG.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:28:41 AM »

Totally true - I haven't played either game, just read about them on here.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 12:47:17 AM »

Such is the problem with any port done solely for profit under strict deadlines.

Besides, Enchant Arm really wasn't that good of an RPG.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 12:53:06 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 03, 2007, 12:47:17 AM

Such is the problem with any port done solely for profit under strict deadlines.

Besides, Enchant Arm really wasn't that good of an RPG.

I'm guessing the project manager calculated the following:

current low PS3 install base + mediocre xbox 360 sales data + review data + estimated market = reduce porting funds.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 01:56:30 AM »

As overwrought japanese RPGs go, there's nothing wrong with Enchanted Arms ... except the slow start.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 02:44:27 AM »

Quote from: Purge on April 03, 2007, 01:56:30 AM

As overwrought japanese RPGs go, there's nothing wrong with Enchanted Arms ... except the slow start.

I loved it. The 360 version isn't exactly wonderful, graphically, but I had a blast with this game.
Bear in mind, it was really the first jrpg I ever played, so not much to compare to.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 02:49:02 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 03, 2007, 02:44:27 AM

Quote from: Purge on April 03, 2007, 01:56:30 AM

I loved it. The 360 version isn't exactly wonderful, graphically, but I had a blast with this game.
Bear in mind, it was really the first jrpg I ever played, so not much to compare to.

I haven't played Enchanted Arms yet but it seems like people with minimal JRPG experience really enjoyed it while people who are big fans of the genre consider it solid and worth playing but hardly exceptional.  Which tells me that maybe some of those people with minimal exposure to the genre should use it as a "gateway drug" and try out some more stuff in the genre. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 03:46:37 AM »

Thankfully, because of this it's one more reason to avoid the most horrifically flamoyantly gayest RPG character ever.

Now, before you yell at me for because such a bigot (is that the right term?) let me say that the gay character in Enchant Arms is such a ridiculous and almost offensive stereotype of gay people I know.  I really couldn't stand the character especially in regards to my few gay and lesbian friends.

Of course, the rest of the characters were just as bad, poor archetypes, poor motivations and story.  Really bad dialogue.

I hear the RPG gameplay was good, but honestly it wasn't worth sitting through.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 05:11:34 AM »

I think the dialogue is what killed EA for me, it grinded away at me until I couldn't take it anymore and simply quit.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »

i liked the game,but made the mistake of buying it with about 5 or 6 other great games,and i didnt really get into it as much as i would of liked,still have it though and i have promised myself to give it another go ...i also have the Prima guide

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 05:16:40 AM »

Of course the gay character is barely in the game (at least in that incarnation). Also I didn't find the dialog any worse than any other JRPG, they are all hideous IMO.

Really enjoyed it as far a JRPGs go. The combat was very original and fun.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 05:25:22 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 03, 2007, 03:46:37 AM

Thankfully, because of this it's one more reason to avoid the most horrifically flamoyantly gayest RPG character ever.

Now, before you yell at me for because such a bigot (is that the right term?) let me say that the gay character in Enchant Arms is such a ridiculous and almost offensive stereotype of gay people I know.  I really couldn't stand the character especially in regards to my few gay and lesbian friends.

Of course, the rest of the characters were just as bad, poor archetypes, poor motivations and story.  Really bad dialogue.

I hear the RPG gameplay was good, but honestly it wasn't worth sitting through.

so when you say you 'hear the RPG gameplay was good'... does that mean you didn't really play the game yourself?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 08:53:15 AM »

I actually played several hours, much to my loss.  If it got better anytime after that, well then the developers should have done a better job keeping my attention until that time.

Otherwise as above, so many things about the game kept grinding away at my patience and enjoyment that I just quit and returned the game well before the 7 day rental was over.

I think one of the main problems with the dialog was that it was written with the idea that there would be no voice overs.  So, you have to add a lot of redundant words and phrases that would otherwise be conveyed by voice actors.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 11:44:43 AM »

I played through the whole thing using the Japanese VO, which I rather enjoyed. The start of the game (first 2-3) hours is really slow, but then it finally gets moving. The story is decent, if not earth-shattering. There's quite a few humorous moments in the dialog that I laughed at.

There's no exploration to speak of, the game is completely on rails. It's all about the combat, which I enjoyed. I looked at each fight like a little puzzle. How do I position my guys to do the most damage while taking the least? It's turn-based with a grid. Different powers affect different patterns of squares. There are attacks which can be blocked by other characters and those that can't. Characters and some attacks have an element (e.g. fire) and opposing elements do double (fire attack vs water character) while like vs like does half.

There are also mega-attacks that can only be used periodically (there's a shared bar for your party that fills over time) and you can also do combo attacks with multiple characters. The combo attacks are critical to the boss fights. The way it works is that with each successive character that attacks in a combo chain, they get an increasing damage bonus, so you have to put your puny hitters first and the big guns last so they get the biggest bonus.

If all of that sounds interesting to you, then you'll probably like the game. With all due respect, it sounds as if Turtlle didn't make it out of the tutorial (which is admittedly too long) much like many of the reviewers. Any review that spends extended time talking about the character of Makoto probably hasn't actually played the game for any length, since he's gone after that.

I took about 60 hours to finish, but I'm slow and 40-50 is a better estimate. There's optional stuff at the end I didn't do, including some kind of mega-dungeon. By the end, I was ready for it to be over, but it is really unusual for me to finish a game like this.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:48:27 AM by Misguided » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »

I just started EA last week.  5 hours in, and I'm on the fence with it.  One one hand, the combat system is pretty interesting and looks like it could get more intriguing as you go.  On the other hand, this game is bland as bland can get.  Outside of the gay character (who is completely over the top, but not a deal breaker for me), EA simply sticks to every generic JRPG cliche in the book.  Both the character and environments are dull and lifeless, the story is rather boring, and the game simply has no soul (for lack of a better term).  All that being said, I've heard it's a very slow starter, and really begins ramping up about the point I'm at.  I'll give it at least to the 10 hour mark to see if it gets better. 

I haven't played Enchanted Arms yet but it seems like people with minimal JRPG experience really enjoyed it while people who are big fans of the genre consider it solid and worth playing but hardly exceptional.  Which tells me that maybe some of those people with minimal exposure to the genre should use it as a "gateway drug" and try out some more stuff in the genre.

I think this is a pretty accurate statement.  I fall into the latter category, so EA has been pretty 'meh' for me so far.  I can certainly see, however, how someone with little JRPG experience would enjoy it more.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 12:00:24 PM »

I think this is a pretty accurate statement.  I fall into the latter category, so EA has been pretty 'meh' for me so far.  I can certainly see, however, how someone with little JRPG experience would enjoy it more.

Yeah, it's easy to pick up, but there's some depth to the combat too.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 12:29:40 PM »

I've been playing this for some time now and really enjoying it.  I'm about 60% through the storyline (the game tracks this).  The story is quite engaging especially if you give it a chance to really get going.  I'm at the point now that I really care about the main characters:  Atsuma, Karin, Yuki, and Raigar.  Even Yuki whose voice can be quite annoying.  As you learn more about her you start to really sympathize with her.  And Karin has this tough exterior but you can see moments in the game where she is vulnerable.  I am really being pulled along by the story too.  The Golem collecting is fun although I don't use them that much since I'm enjoying the main characters.  The Mage Guardian and the Vampire are my favorite Golems.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 01:19:37 PM »

If you still have Makoto in your party, you're still in the tutorial, as far as I'm concerned. Picking your party members and setting them up to take best advantage of the opposites is what it's all about. Lots of Golems to collect, skills to upgrade etc... I have no complaints as to RPG elements.

The story is a traditional and medium grade, so it's neither over-the-top nor is it bargain basement (Metal Dungeon I'm looking at YOU).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: