http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 03:56:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 2072 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »

No thread yet?  The game has been doing the fundraising early access model, and today it goes from $150 'premium beta' to a wee bit more reasonable $75 'standard beta'.  I think full release is expected to be priced at $50.

Early buzz seems pretty great.  Dogfighting seems a lot more nuanced than a lot of older space combat games.  There seems to be a bigger focus on subsystem targetting, for example.  I saw a video of a dogfight where one pilot was trying to disable his opponent's weapons directly, but the opponent was going for heat dissipation subsystems.  The lack of heat dissipation also made weapons impossible to fire, and it turned into a standoff.

The game is best played with a HOTAS setup, or at least a good ol' joystick, the way god meant space sims to be played.

I'm still not sure if I can stomach the $25 extra to get early access, but I'm at least really tempted.

Here's more to whet your appetite:

<useful links to the game, and to previews & impressions>

<intriguing videos of combat and spinning spacestation docking>

<cool looking screenshots>

<neat comparisons of ships from the original Elite and their modern counterparts>

<handy links to affordable joystick and HOTAS options>
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:31:42 PM »

Looks like today is the last day to drop $50 and get the lifetime expansion pass, which does not include the base game.  This is apparently included in the Alpha and Premium Beta packages.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:05:26 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 29, 2014, 04:15:39 PM

Here's more to whet your appetite:

<useful links to the game, and to previews & impressions>

<cool looking screenshots>

<neat comparisons of ships from the original Elite and their modern counterparts>

<handy links to affordable joystick and HOTAS options>

Oh man - those really did whet my appetite! Especially the <cool looking screenshots>.  drool
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »

This game is also getting a lot of buzz for having one of the(if not the) best implementations of virtual reality out there at the moment. It's the perfect fit for the Oculus Rift. I'm getting my DK2 this Friday (or so UPS says), and Elite: Dangerous will be one of the first things I fire up, if everything goes smoothly (it won't).
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 29, 2014, 05:17:19 PM

This game is also getting a lot of buzz for having one of the(if not the) best implementations of virtual reality out there at the moment. It's the perfect fit for the Oculus Rift. I'm getting my DK2 this Friday (or so UPS says), and Elite: Dangerous will be one of the first things I fire up, if everything goes smoothly (it won't).

Oh man, please start up a thread with your devkit2 impressions when you get it.  I'm more excited for the Rift than I've been for any of the latest console releases.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:39:54 PM »

I REALLY wish I had a TrackIR for this game (and wish I had this game slywink )
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:49:46 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 29, 2014, 05:25:55 PM

Quote from: TiLT on July 29, 2014, 05:17:19 PM

Oh man, please start up a thread with your devkit2 impressions when you get it.  I'm more excited for the Rift than I've been for any of the latest console releases.

Will do. I'm extremely excited about it too.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:51:53 AM »

Man! Here I thought work was blocking wonderpug's links.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:54:16 AM by naednek » Logged
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »

My DK2 arrives today - I've been awful tempted to splurge on the early access for this as well, after seeing some videos. Really impressive-looking stuff.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »

Beta impressions are driving me nuts.  I really shouldn't buy a $75 beta right now.

Quote from: Drake from Penny Arcade Forums
I loaded up the Elite beta in Solo mode for a bit. Docked with Azeban City and checked out the services and so forth. I loved going through the docking sequence, matching rotation with the station, locating my pad and coming in on a manual approach. The station feels like an actual station and not a model floating in space that my ship hooks up to.

After checking out the station's interface I got back in space, locked a nearby planet and charged up the frameshift drive. Traveling to a nearby planet is amazing. Managing your ships speed while in frameshift is essential, it takes a moment to stop from 1.25C you know. And even at that incomprehensible speed it will still take a moment to make the trip. Once I was in the neighborhood I brought my speed down enough to make a safe exit from frameshift and got my bearings. Nearby (half a light year I think it was) I discovered a Federal distress signal. I lock in and charge the drives and make a careful approach. It's a Federal Dreadnaught being taken down by a huge gang of small ships. The battle was something to behold. I considered joining a side, but decided against it, and instead made a few high speed passes to get a closer look. The scale and detail of the thing was awesome. And that's really the whole experience in a nutshell so far. Awesome scale and detail in every facet. This feels like space. Ships feel like ships. Stations feel like stations. I think this game is going to lead to some great things.

But I must.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 29, 2014, 04:15:39 PM

Ok, here's a Scott Manley (of Kerbal Space Program fame) video that has both combat and docking.

I swear, just the docking sequence alone is getting me salivating about the game.  Stuff like the docking and the fantastic HUD are the kind of immersive flairs that really get me into Privateer/Elite type games.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »

while you're spending $75 for a beta, throw a TrackIR at me and I'll join ya  ninja
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 31, 2014, 07:58:09 PM

while you're spending $75 for a beta, throw a TrackIR at me and I'll join ya  ninja

I'm so tempted to just go bananas with peripherals and buy a TrackIR as well, but once the Rift comes out I can't see myself ever needing TrackIR again. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 08:21:47 PM »

I still think I would prefer to play on my 46" tv and stream with a TrackIR, than play on a Rift
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 31, 2014, 08:21:47 PM

I still think I would prefer to play on my 46" tv and stream with a TrackIR, than play on a Rift

Really?  If my mathy figurin's are correct, you'd have to sit 17" away from your 46" tv to get the field of view the devkit2 has.

edit: (not to mention the 3d and total immersion you get from VR)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:59:46 PM by wonderpug » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 09:39:34 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 31, 2014, 08:21:47 PM

I think that preference would get turned on its head the moment you tried the Rift. icon_razz
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 09:48:50 PM »

I've worn a demo unit, between the inability to quickly and easily check a second monitor and the lowered resolution it would force my streaming, I'm not too interested in it overall.

Also I already sit entirely too close to my screen slywink  I'm less than 3 feet from it.

Basically the fact that I stream definitely affects my opinion, but even without I think I don't really WANT that much immersion since I want to stay aware of what's around me in real life.  I do however want the freedom of head tracking which is why I want a TrackIR.  Checking twitch chat to interact with viewers is an important part of being a 'good' streamer.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »

I've been playing this game with the Rift now for a couple of days, and it is absolutely amazing! The problem is that it's also impossible to describe properly. To paraphrase Morpheus: "Nobody can be told what the Rift is. You have to see it for yourself."

You won't fully understand the scale of this game if you only play it on a regular monitor. The inside of a space station may look impressive enough that way, but it's only when you put on a Rift that you truly understand how massive it is. I get an "oh shit" moment every time I leave the hangar bays as I see the sheer spectacle of these places. Situational awareness is vastly improved, letting you keep track of ships around you without any issues at all. Docking is incredibly straightforward this way, and I haven't fumbled a single one of my attempts. Place your HOTAS joystick and throttle appropriately, and you'll be able to look down upon the in-game pilot arms and honestly believe they are yours. That's not hyperbole either, you can truly forget that these aren't your own arms, which can weird you out if you start moving them around. Then again, joystick and throttle movements are replicated by the in-game model.

The resolution of the Rift leaves something to be desired, but unlike with the DK1, all in-game text is readable in Elite: Dangerous with the DK2, especially if you lean in for a closer look. I've done several trade runs with no issues whatsoever, never having to remove my hands from the joystick and throttle except for when I'm using the galaxy map. The map feels incomplete right now and doesn't work properly with a HOTAS at all, forcing you to either use a controller or the keyboard to navigate it, and the text is much smaller and harder to read than any other parts of the game. I expect the map to go through radical improvements in coming patches.

There's also a stuttering issue with head movements right now, but this is caused by a software bug in the Rift itself which has already been fixed internally at Oculus. We're bound to see this removed sooner rather than later.

There's so much I could say about the Rift and Elite: Dangerous, but if you haven't tried it yourself, it won't really mean much. Let me just put it like this: I can't imagine ever wanting to play this game without the Rift again. It would feel empty and artificial. On a monitor you're simulating the feeling of sitting in a space ship and flying across the galaxy. With the Rift you are sitting in a space ship, flying across the galaxy.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 04:31:12 PM »

drool

I bit on the game and am just playing with a joystick and a quaint old 2d monitor, and I'm just loving the game so far. They did such an amazing job making everything feel really immersive -- I love the docking procedures, the way you work your ship computer, the messages of being scanned -- it all feels like you're in a sci-if movie. The sound design is also phenomenal: I love the *kachunk* of deploying your weapons, the icy frosting over of your ship if your life support turns off, the sounds of your engines firing up or slowing down, it's all really well done.

Gameplay itself seems good so far, but I'm just starting to get my legs under me. The flight model has almost nonexistent yaw compared to every other space sim I've played, which could be a love/hate thing for people. It's like a plane where you turn by rolling and pitching up instead of by using your rudders. The devs say they're trying to avoid the space sim feeling of just being a turret floating in space, and I think I'm getting used to it.

I suck at combat so far, but i don't know yet if it's because the starter ship is weak, or I'm bad at evaluating how deadly an enemy is, or I just plain suck. The combat model has a lot of my favorite stuff from older space sims, though, like energy balance management, subsystem targeting, and speed sweet spots for faster turning. Ships are really capable of lateral translation movement, and overall you really feel like you're taking advantage of a 3d arena instead of just seeing who can turn faster.

Thumbs up so far! I can't wait for my throttle to arrive.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »

a little off topic, but how does the rift work with people who require glasses to see?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 08:28:53 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 03, 2014, 08:21:10 PM

a little off topic, but how does the rift work with people who require glasses to see?

Depends on why you need glasses. From what I understand, if you're longsighted, you should be fine (don't quote me on that). If you're shortsighted, you need to either wear your glasses inside the Rift (which is a snug fit), or use the provided alternate lenses that have a corrective rating of 4 or so for shortsighted people. I myself have astigmatism and use glasses almost all the time while indoors. This hasn't been a problem at all with the Rift, where I don't use my glasses.

Here's how the Rift works with your optics: The screen is just in front of your eyes, but between you and it are two lenses (one for each eye) that bend the light so that it hits your eyes straight on. This means that for all intents and purposes, your eyes react to the light as if it was coming from very far away, which is perfect for people with normal vision and those who are longsighted. Alternate lenses, such as the B lenses included in the box, adjust this slightly for shortsighted people, but if your vision is very bad, it might not be enough. In that case you can and should use glasses.

People have reported that glasses worn in the DK2 might scratch against the lenses, damaging the latter. This is something to keep in mind, especially if your glasses are large.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:30:49 PM by TiLT » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 03:19:48 PM »

I just bought a new ship in the game. Ditched my trusty Sidewinder (the crappy little ship you start with) and got an Eagle instead. The game doesn't really tell you anything about the ships you're buying yet, though I'm sure there'll be in-game stats later on, so I didn't know anything about the ship until it was bought.

And wow, the feeling of getting into a new cockpit was completely awesome and unique on the Rift. This wasn't just a bunch of new visuals, stats and so on. It was an entirely different feel, even while sitting in the hangar bay. The Sidewinder is cramped but still somewhat spacious, with a lot of junk just lying around wherever the pilot could fit it in. The Eagle is long and thin and completely sleek, and the cockpit windows really press in against you, making it feel almost claustrophobic. The windows are better designed for dogfighting, giving me better situational awareness, especially above me.

Taking off, it felt like going from a regular car to a trimmed sports car. It was fast and zippy, making the exit procedure from the station exciting all over again. Even the sounds are different.

I've never really experienced anything like this in a game before. Everything feels so much more personal and real this way. It goes to show what a developer can do when they design their games for the Rift from the get-go.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 04:13:16 PM »

Check out this online trading tool if you want some better tools for finding trade routes.  I don't know how quickly it gets updated but it seems pretty nifty.

A few weeks ago I thought I was going to be a devout Star Citizen fanboy who enjoyed Elite on the side, but the more I play this game the more my loyalties are swapping.  I know it's a bit unfair to compare them right now since Elite is so much farther along in development, but man, at the moment Elite is really feeling like it's the space trading game I've been waiting for all these long years of genre-drought.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »

Dammit Tilt, you now have me preordering a damned DK2 for $350. Thankfully, I am developing a desire to experience Elite in VR, so I am truly a developer, thus no lying required!

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 01:31:13 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 03, 2014, 08:21:10 PM

Reasonably well. If you're just nearsighted there's a lens set for it that might let you leave the glasses off - if you have anything more complicated (like I do), you can just adjust the Rift so there's room for your glasses in the headset. You lose a few degrees of FOV that way, but it really hasn't been an issue for me.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on August 04, 2014, 06:41:34 PM

Dammit Tilt, you now have me preordering a damned DK2 for $350. Thankfully, I am developing a desire to experience Elite in VR, so I am truly a developer, thus no lying required!
The Occulus is on my list, but I am waiting for the full retail product.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 07:24:52 PM »

Well, I am going to hold off, as I have to spend 2K to fix my car. Stupid real reality keeping me from virtual reality.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »

I'd be more tempted to splurge if the thing had some resale value, but by the time I want to sell the devkit2, no one will want it because the release version will be imminent, not to mention Oculus is bringing down their wrath on any devkits they see showing up on ebay. 

So I'll just have to pace impatiently every day until the release version comes.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »

Sooo, did anyone else notice the dlc that is being sold on Elite's homepage? I'm sure there's a game I'm forgetting or don't know about, but this may be the first time I've seen a game that cost $150/$75 (depending on which package one has purchased) , and still unfinished in beta, sell dlc. Plus, these $5.00 a pop paint jobs make the horse armor seem positively ideal. Obviously, it is one's choice to purchase the dlc or not, but it is a little off-putting to me that the dev wants to nickel and dime his customers who paid an above average price for a game that isn't even finished yet.

I'm still getting the game eventually, but now I'll feel a little icky.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »

All the DLC is cosmetic. They've been very clear about their intentions for this. You wouldn't really want to paint your ship anyway, as that makes it stick out to others while you can't see the colors from your cockpit.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on August 13, 2014, 06:18:00 PM

Sooo, did anyone else notice the dlc that is being sold on Elite's homepage? I'm sure there's a game I'm forgetting or don't know about, but this may be the first time I've seen a game that cost $150/$75 (depending on which package one has purchased) , and still unfinished in beta, sell dlc. Plus, these $5.00 a pop paint jobs make the horse armor seem positively ideal. Obviously, it is one's choice to purchase the dlc or not, but it is a little off-putting to me that the dev wants to nickel and dime his customers who paid an above average price for a game that isn't even finished yet.

I'm still getting the game eventually, but now I'll feel a little icky.

instead of feeling bad about it, not sure why you wouldn't just not buy them and applaud them for allowing people who want to give them extra money to do so easily. smile

People take DLC entirely too personally.  As you said it's cosmetic only, stop whining. lol

I'll be streaming me learning this game and probably getting ganked after Gencon is over. (fwiw Archeage charged $150 to get into the alpha and it's a fully DLC f2p game, yet it doesn't piss me off at all)
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »

I'll be getting this right when I get home after GenCon

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 06:57:10 PM »

There's so much money to be had in cosmetic game items these days, it's hard to fault a dev for opening the doors for whales to hurl money at them.  Hell, they could probably charge $10 for hats to put on your spaceships and have a line around the block.  In retrospect, the horse armor DLC seems to have actually been ahead of its time. 

As long as they keep the pay upgrades cosmetic and avoid any kind of pay-to-win, I'll be content, though I guess I could see myself getting a wee bit grumpy if there was no in-game way to get a visual upgrade to your ship (at release, that is).

Quote from: Harkonis on August 13, 2014, 06:35:21 PM

I'll be streaming me learning this game and probably getting ganked after Gencon is over.
What're you going to be using for controls?  Have a HOTAS?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »

I think I'll be picking this up today.  The gameplay videos all look very good to me and I love the engine that they've built.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 04:56:48 AM »

TrackIr you say?  hmmmm

I'm waiting for the consumer release of the Occulus, I know the guys at Tested did a look at the game using DevKit2 and they didn't think it was worth buying the Devkit unless you were a developer or had $350 to spend on this version knowing the final would most likely be a better bet.  I can wait and see how the TrackIR works in the game as yes I'm now downloading the $75 Beta (I have no issue with the price btw) due to all the recent good videos and press about the game.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 05:22:22 AM »

Ok, bought, configured my x52 and played about an hour or so.  mostly tooling around in the scenarios and a quick dock in solo mode to the closest station.  I'm getting the hang of the controls and have a decent mapping (I hope). 

Now, I just need time to get in and take some quick missions, work up to the next ship that hopefully doesn't look like an 80's sci-fi design.  Love the flight model and the environment details look pretty slick. 

feel free to add me as 'Kasei Vallis' in the game

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2014, 09:37:41 AM »

Few hours in and it is pretty fun, managed to travel to a far off station that I found by sheer luck and sold half of my cargo for a whopping 326 CR profit, of course fuel and repairs almost wiped all that out.  Game looks great and seem to have so much depth to explore and I'm happy to have bought it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2014, 01:58:34 PM »

when you get your rift, you won't need that TrackIR.... hint hint
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 14, 2014, 01:58:34 PM

Yeah, skipping the DK2 because it's "temporary" while getting a TrackIR instead is kind of counter-intuitive. The TrackIR will be just as obsolete for these games as the DK2 once the CV1 is out. Actually, the DK2 won't be obsolete if I'm not mistaken. It'll just give a lesser experience than the full consumer version, but should still work. The same can't be said for the DK1.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 14, 2014, 02:30:49 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on August 14, 2014, 01:58:34 PM

Yeah, skipping the DK2 because it's "temporary" while getting a TrackIR instead is kind of counter-intuitive. The TrackIR will be just as obsolete for these games as the DK2 once the CV1 is out. Actually, the DK2 won't be obsolete if I'm not mistaken. It'll just give a lesser experience than the full consumer version, but should still work. The same can't be said for the DK1.

While true, I've had the TrackIR since before the Occulus was announced so I didn't get it while skipping the DK2.  I'm willing to wait for the consumer release of the Occulus to see what further improvements they make, I've already read that the DK2 seems to cause less motion sickness than the DK1 so if there is even more room for improvement I can wait awhile before packing the TrackIR up and sending it to Indy.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: