http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:17:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic  (Read 42898 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 26, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »

Oh, here is the post I was referring to where Brad speaks about compatability

Compatibility. This isn’t my area of expertise but I’m getting a new found respect for the engine coders. Talk about frustration and scary.  You get one video card that leaks memory (think megs per turn) if you use feature X, but if you turn it off, then it causes alt-tab to break.  You got Windows XP Sp5 with older video cards having one weird issue while first generation quad core having a different issue.

Makes me long for the days of DOS.

Today, you’ve got Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Vista 64, Windows 7 and Windows 7 64. Then you’ve got a plethora of video cards and CPUs to go along with it along with different versions of the drivers in all these various cases.

There’s a case of white screens happening along with terrible performance afterwards on some setups. That’s been apparently fixed internally based on the checkin logs.

There’s a case where some machines aren’t even using the GPU. I’m a total lay person on that but isn’t that what DirectX is supposed to take care of? Oye. But they tell me they’ll be able to figure it out.

My understanding though is that the day 0 version of the game has largely resolved stability issues that some people ran into. That is, the version of the game available on release day should work fine. But if you have problems, feel free to speak loudly and specifically in the support area.  

and while I may sound angry, I'm not - I know the game will be great, I just dont get while people say the release was fine, especially since Brad has stated a few times that the Gold edition should be playable without any patches.

A new one
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2010, 03:15:53 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on August 26, 2010, 02:15:30 PM

There are some SERIOUS fanboi blinders going on in this thread and at QT3. The game was sold for 49.99. It is incomplete. It is not gold. It might be in a few months. Is that known for sure? No. Is it a piece of shit now? Yes.

I tried to enjoy it last night, again, but its very simple: It's not finished. It's got a ticket list of bugs at least 40 pages long, and so many polish and UX lapses its a joke.

If you play the indie-dev card, you get certain benefits. If you play the full price for a game card, you get certain benefits. Can't have both.
People defending this game should be ashamed of themselves.

I've been watching the 'Elemental' catastrophic release from afar for the past few days. I agree with Pharaoh's post. I had a passing interest in the game but won't be picking it up now for the reasons he post. Stardock totally borked this release! Seriously, they released a Beta and made you pay full price for it! I'm sorry, but that's not acceptable.

It's astounding to me how PC game developers haven't learned the most key lesson from the success of top-notch developers like Blizzard and Valve: You don't release until it's finish. You must polish and polish! Now, I know Stardock doesn't have the funds to uphold to Blizzard's standards, but 'Elemental' clearly needed a few months of development just so it could be playable. They freaked out because of Civ V's impending release and the busy holiday game release season and just released it prematurely. Plain and simple.

Stardock should have waited. They should have waited until November.. and they shouldn't have freaked out about limited shelf space at B&M stores. The days of big B&M PC sales are over. Digital download sales is where it's at! They should have waited until November to release it digitally.. then work their way to stores on February once the Civ V crowd have had their fill. Most importantly, the game would have been wholly finished and the good reviews would have propelled them to great sales in the new year!

But.. nooo.. they totally screwed themselves. This is Stardock's second botched release after 'DemiGod' and its a serious failure. This is gonna cost them! And it's a damn shame.. for them, and for this hobby of ours! They even rescinded their own Gamer Bill Of Rights.. which now casts them on a light of hypocrisy.

All I keep thinking is that it's a low, dirty shame.. this botched release of 'Elemental'.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2010, 03:37:28 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 26, 2010, 03:08:04 PM

lots of good stuff

Okay so missing is:

- Randomly generated maps (and I'm pretty sure that most of the map features are random, just not the terrain and starting resources)
- Empires (not even sure what this is)
- Multiplayer (for one week)

The rest are personal quibbles and balance issues.

Quote from: From QT3
If you click on the city icon (in the middle of the toolbar when the city is selected) it will bring up a description of the city and the resources its generating and other stats. One of the things that will get listed is caravans that the city has going and the bonuses that those caravans provide.

What should I compare this game to if not MoM? The point is that having a few issues doesn't make a game broken, unplayable, or unfun.

My expectations were MoM with better graphics, which is pretty close to what I got. I'm still looking forward to patches though as they will improve the game a lot.

I'll reiterate that I played for over 12 hours with zero crashes, whitescreens, memory issues, stuck units, diplomacy issues, or missing animations. Besides sleeping and eating I have done little else besides play Elemental since the 1.05 patch was released. I'm not saying those things don't happen, just that I'm not going to talk shit about a game because of hearsay.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2010, 03:53:40 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on August 26, 2010, 01:54:53 PM

I played for about 12 hours yesterday. No crashes and only a few cosmetic bugs. The camera for bow shots gets a little strange, but that is it. I didn't feel like I needed a tutorial at all unlike Civilization which is less intuitive. Even those crystal resources made sense to me because the items that require them were listed in my tech tree right there under magic items.

That's just your personal experience and doesn't represent the majority.  There are people losing turns due to crashes.  There are people who are confused without a good tutorial.

I also have a problem with the bland graphics if you're going to call Elemental just a MoM with better graphics.  There's nothing wrong with the graphics from a technical perspective but it seems to lack any flavour.  Everything looks generic from what I've seen so far.

TBH, this game is making me want to reinstall Fall from Heaven 2 and play that instead.  But I need to give it more time.  Maybe it will grow on me eventually.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2010, 04:00:55 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on August 26, 2010, 03:37:28 PM

Quote from: Razgon on August 26, 2010, 03:08:04 PM

lots of good stuff

Okay so missing is:

- Randomly generated maps (and I'm pretty sure that most of the map features are random, just not the terrain and starting resources)
- Empires (not even sure what this is)
- Multiplayer (for one week)

The rest are personal quibbles and balance issues.

Quote from: From QT3
If you click on the city icon (in the middle of the toolbar when the city is selected) it will bring up a description of the city and the resources its generating and other stats. One of the things that will get listed is caravans that the city has going and the bonuses that those caravans provide.

What should I compare this game to if not MoM? The point is that having a few issues doesn't make a game broken, unplayable, or unfun.

My expectations were MoM with better graphics, which is pretty close to what I got. I'm still looking forward to patches though as they will improve the game a lot.

I'll reiterate that I played for over 12 hours with zero crashes, whitescreens, memory issues, stuck units, diplomacy issues, or missing animations. Besides sleeping and eating I have done little else besides play Elemental since the 1.05 patch was released. I'm not saying those things don't happen, just that I'm not going to talk shit about a game because of hearsay.

The rest are personal quibbles and balance issues.? No, they are bugs, and missing features - Dungeons for instance...but its clear you simply dont want to aknowledge there are issues with the game, and thats fine, but then we are on different pages it seems. I have no wish to list even more from the tons of issues people have, since you'll just refute it as "Personal" for some reason.

A new one
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 26, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »

It's a bit buggy and the documentation is lacking, but it is by no means a 'beta' (in the sense people are using it).

The documentation/UI feedback shortfall is highlighted because there is a tremendous amount of depth to the game which is frustrating because 4Xers need to know WHAT EVERYTHING DOES in a game to plan our strategy.

TLDR; it is a complex, strategic game, with some bugs, that is missing information to help with the strategery.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 26, 2010, 04:23:36 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 26, 2010, 04:00:55 PM

its clear you simply dont want to aknowledge there are issues with the game

LOL, what?

Quote from: Aganazer on August 26, 2010, 03:37:28 PM

The point is that having a few issues doesn't make a game broken, unplayable, or unfun.

Quote from: Aganazer on August 26, 2010, 02:49:13 PM

Yes there are some balance issues, but in a game like this taking advantage of the perceived balance is half the fun. There are plenty of things I would like to see tweaked, but I could say the same about any game with as large a scope as this.

Quote from: Aganazer on August 26, 2010, 01:54:53 PM

There were a couple balance issues, but in a game like this its not essential and MoM was exactly the same in that regard. My biggest complaint is that things (goody huts, MOBs, etc)  respawn too frequently.

And yes, most of the things you mentioned were personal quibbles and balance issues. Many of them were in fact bugs, but not any I was able to reproduce in 12+ hours of playing. Can you verify that all those bugs are present in the 1.05 patch or is there any chance that some of them were found in 1.01?

I guess I am just easier to please and am more thankful to have such a cool game to play. I want to see improvements as much as anyone, but I had a hell of a fun time playing this game so far. I don't think that point (about it being a fun game regardless of issues) has been emphasized enough in the ongoing bash-fest that launch has been.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 26, 2010, 04:49:52 PM »

Aye, we all have different views on how we want the game to be, thats sure.

As for the bugs being present in 1.05 , then yes, thats where they were all found.

Oh well, I'm glad (and I mean that , not being sarcastic) that you enjoy the game as it is - I just wanted something else/more personally. Also, its probably also to do with the fact that many of the things were commented on during beta process, but havent been fixed yet.

Btw - about the different damage types, I am not sure if its something I am missing, or if it was something that was cut from the current version?

edit: A question - what system are you playing on? it seems win7 64 and ATI together arent that good a combination, for the games stability. Also, some report, and SD has confirmed this, that on some systems the game doesnt use the GU at all, but only the CPU
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:00:09 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 26, 2010, 04:49:52 PM

A question - what system are you playing on? it seems win7 64 and ATI together arent that good a combination, for the games stability.

Win7 64 and Nvidia GTX275

I can definitely understand how a few compounding problems can stack up to make a game unplayable, especially if you're using ATI and experiencing the crashes and whitescreens. My tolerance threshold for game bugs and issues is fairly high. I have also been deliberately avoiding the campaign and trying to focus my gameplay on building and conquering without much diplomacy and trading.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 26, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »

So, uhmmm...  Let's cut to the chase for those of us who no almost nothing about this game.   

(I liked the myth series, homm series, warlords series, Age of wonders and even loved Kohan...   I THINK I played MoM too and loved it, if its same game I am thinking about.  (Had like packs of death knights that moved as one unit or something)  I dunno, I cant remember for sure.)

But, I do like the adventure/graphics etc and cant really tolerate a bunch of bugs.

Should I buy this game or not?
siege

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »

I can't even play the game. I get a white screen upon starting a game with a couple of units visible on screen and then it CTD's.

Regardless of the widely varying quality in games these days, I'm usually at least able to play the actual game. For shame, Stardock.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on August 26, 2010, 05:35:00 PM

So, uhmmm...  Let's cut to the chase for those of us who no almost nothing about this game.    

(I liked the myth series, homm series, warlords series, Age of wonders and even loved Kohan...   I THINK I played MoM too and loved it, if its same game I am thinking about.  (Had like packs of death knights that moved as one unit or something)  I dunno, I cant remember for sure.)

But, I do like the adventure/graphics etc and cant really tolerate a bunch of bugs.

Should I buy this game or not?

There is no reason to rush. The game isn't going away and it will only get better. Its definitely your kind of game and you won't want to miss it, but the first few patches should improve it so much that there isn't any reason to soil yourself with the current version unless you're dying to play a TBS like I was.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2010, 05:53:49 PM »

You know, if I didn't read gaming forums I wouldn't have known the game had half the issues it has.  The fact of the matter is I am having fun with the game.  I have yet to encounter anything that I would call a serious bug in my 10 hours or so of playing.
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2010, 06:10:55 PM »

I completely forgot about this until now, but many months ago someone put together Elemental for Dummies. It was designed for beta testers who didn't get documentation, but since that pretty much now applies to everyone, it's being overhauled for 1.05.

Lots of useful information about the different kingdoms and factions - a lot of which I never realized, and will force me to restart my game biggrin

You can find it here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/374531

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2010, 06:32:20 PM »

Well, I just restarted dragon age again so I will play through that and get the awakening. 
By the time I finish all that, maybe this game will be all patched up.

Keep the feedback/info coming fellas.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2010, 09:19:20 PM »

Just had another decent sesh.  I'm really enjoying this game!  The UI's still pissing me off though.  After going on a mad building spree at two of my settlements, my income plunged into the red.  Some of it was unit wages, most of it was building upkeep.  No problem, let's just visit a city and see what's eating the cash.  Nope!  No way at all to see which buildings are the culprits.  I joined the chat on Impulse::Reactor and the best advice I got was to print off one of the xml files which lists building stats...

But still.  The game itself flows nicely and has a great feel to it.  Just a little rough around the edges, but otherwise really enjoyable.  Some of those concerns Razgon listed probably would concern me if I was deeper into the game, but I'm still at the "poke it and see what it does" stage.  I get so little time to play that those things will probably be fixed by the time they would be an issue for me. smile

Speaking of Impulse::Reactor, it's integrated into the game very well.  I love that I can chat to other players while I'm playing, and look at mods and stuff.  I'm definitely not regretting my purchase at all, especially knowing that support for the game is only just beginning and it will get better and better.

But where the hell is my CE?!  Want want want!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 26, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »

How do you get into the Impulse Reactor chat from the game?
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2010, 09:34:30 PM »

Hit shift-tab to bring up Reactor.  Login is optional but I'd advise it if you don't want to be labelled "Guestxxx" in chat.

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »

Gave the game another shot - after I got a dragon, 3 cities and things were going well, it slowed to a crawl, and then it happened again... Game crashed on out of memory... I'm getting annoyed...

edit: oh, and dragon breath attacks have no particle effects

ediedit: Sound and music disappears as well from time to time...I wonder if its all tied in to the memory issues the game has somehow?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:19:17 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 27, 2010, 12:21:40 AM »

Should be up tonight or tomorrow:

---------------------------------------------------------
----------- Elemental v1.06 Change Log  ------------
---------------------------------------------------------

* Gameplay / Balance *

+ Cost of weapons increased in terms of gold and materials
+ Monster leveling tops out earlier so that there aren’t crazy powerful monsters late game
+ Training time increased for the more sophisticated weapons
+ AI will focus more on training soldiers rather than building up their cities if under threat
+ General AI improvements
+ AI smarter about training units in cities based on their current resource situation
+ AI more effective at determining who to go to war with
+ By default, the AI opponents added in the Choose Opponents window get difficulty set based on the World Difficulty
+ Campaign: Markinn now gives tactical HASTE spell instead of strategic SUMMON ROCK GIANT spell
+ Campaign: city leveup bonuses for TECH KNOWLEDGE and ARCANE KNOWLEDGE now suppressed in campaign
+ AI sov's are now using an HP adjustment multiplier based on AI difficulty settings

* Battles *
+ Hooked up the projectile follow camera code to obey the Auto-Move Camera in Tactical option.
+ Adding message boxes to explain why spell casting fails.
+ Fix to repick targets in autoresolve when a counterattack kills the attacker.
+ Fix to make targeting picking more intelligent (to be sure it doesn't pick invalid targets).
+ Auto selection of the next unit in tactical battles should no longer occur if the game option for not auto selecting is turned on.
+ Tactical action cost modifiers for everything except for movement (which can have buffs) should now be 1.
+ The tactical action cost of special abilities is now 2.
+ All tactical actions use up to their cost, except for spells which require at least 2 action points.
+ When a tactical battle closes it now sets the cursor to be an arrow.

* UI *
+ Fixed Map Notifiers only placed for resources your faction can eventually tap (ex. won’t tell kingdoms about wargs)
+ Trade Equipment Wnd tweaks so that summoned creatures show up in the scene views better.
+ Hooked up new entries for the actions list, vitals list, and other basic image entries in main game wnd contexts to act more like buttons (highlight and have a click down state) to indicate that they are clickable

* Bug Fixes *

+ Fixed the infamous "white screen" in tactical battles that occurred on a very specific hardware/driver/OS configuration.

+ Fixed a problem that would cause the particle effects to disappear after alt-tabbing out of the game when running in full-screen.
+ Fixed a DirectX warning in Tile Highlight Graphic
+ fixed uninitalized UNIT pointer in AIMessageBox (caused a debugger crash, probably fixes random crashes users have witnessed)
+ Fixed bug where linked pioneer improvements were getting the multiplier bonuses from their linked cities twice
+ Changed around the values grabbed for some resource breakdowns so that they match getting rid of this double bonus
+ You can no longer build pioneer improvements on resources outside of your ZOC, even if they are adjacent to a city, to prevent them from getting destroyed if they can't get absorbed in time
+ Adjacent pioneer improvements to cities now get absorbed into the city the very next turn, instead of 2 turns after they became adjacent
+ Fixed bug where custom empire factions designed in the faction designer wouldn't have a valid tech tree
+ Custom factions now get the appropriate wall set, and change their name to "Kingdom of" or "Empire of" appropriately
+ Fixed a bug in the faction designer that caused the race spinner to not match the actual race being displayed
+ Shortened the text in the caravan info cards to make it less likely that text entries will overflow to the next line down, and got rid of some old text that doesn't mean anything to how caravans work anymore, and got rid of some hardcoded strings, and moved the hardcoded quote to the different caravan/trader unit types
+ CMapGenerator no longer generates race starting position for tactical battles, since they aren’t used in that mode and were causing debug messages to flood output as the random land tile buffer isn’t getting filled after the first tactical battle map is created.
+ Campaign: Fixed oddity where reloading a save would reblock the pass between New pariden and Gilden.
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 27, 2010, 03:41:12 AM »

I started a new game tonight with 1.06 on normal/normal difficulty.  In the immediate vicinity of where my Sovereign started were the following:

5 Lost Libraries
4 Midnite Stones (from goodie huts)
2 Patches of Fertile Ground
1 Gold deposit
1 Stone Deposit
I'm still waiting for the partridge in the pear tree.

All of this before I researched my first Adventure tech.  No one is this lucky. I wonder if they messed with the balance somehow....
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 27, 2010, 04:39:39 AM »

Quote from: tgb on August 27, 2010, 03:41:12 AM

No one is this lucky.
Lol

Ok, I am not going to rush through dragon age.   Maybe wait for patch 2.0  and a ten dollar price drop.  smile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 27, 2010, 05:53:06 AM »

I started a new game tonight with 1.06 on normal/normal difficulty.  In the immediate vicinity of where my Sovereign started were the following:

5 Lost Libraries
1 Gold deposit
1 Stone Deposit

All of this before I researched my first Adventure tech.  No one is this lucky. I wonder if they messed with the balance somehow....

just wait till you have tried a game a few hundred turns...there will be stuff on every damn tile...its a bit much, and frankly, I dont like the spawn system at all..

A new one
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 27, 2010, 03:37:10 PM »

5 Lost Libraries
1 Gold deposit
1 Stone Deposit

I started a new game and saw a similar distribution. On top of that, all 4 of my opponents started within maybe 20 squares of me. Something is definitely off in the startup code.
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 27, 2010, 05:30:35 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 27, 2010, 05:53:06 AM

5 Lost Libraries
1 Gold deposit
1 Stone Deposit

just wait till you have tried a game a few hundred turns...there will be stuff on every damn tile...its a bit much, and frankly, I dont like the spawn system at all..

You know you can control that, don't you?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 27, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »

Quote from: tgb on August 27, 2010, 05:30:35 PM

Quote from: Razgon on August 27, 2010, 05:53:06 AM

5 Lost Libraries
1 Gold deposit
1 Stone Deposit

You know you can control that, don't you?

If you mean by research yes, otherwise I dont know. I saw something in the options about clutter as well, or somesuch, if that was what you meant?

A new one
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 27, 2010, 07:44:55 PM »

No, I was referring to research.  The slider controls brush and so forth.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 28, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »

One thing that's pissing me off.  I've summoned some kind of imp thing (can't remember its real name as I immediately changed it to Bob) and its stats are good, for early game anyway, but it only moves one space per turn on the tactical map.  Since he's usually a good ten spaces away from the enemy in every battle, he has yet to participate in any battles at all.  Thus he is rendered absolutely pointless and, effectively, he's artificially inflating my stack's combat rating when I weigh up my chances against a rival stack.

Steam profile
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 28, 2010, 12:03:51 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 28, 2010, 11:50:47 AM

One thing that's pissing me off.  I've summoned some kind of imp thing (can't remember its real name as I immediately changed it to Bob) and its stats are good, for early game anyway, but it only moves one space per turn on the tactical map.  Since he's usually a good ten spaces away from the enemy in every battle, he has yet to participate in any battles at all.  Thus he is rendered absolutely pointless and, effectively, he's artificially inflating my stack's combat rating when I weigh up my chances against a rival stack.

Personally I always stay on the defense on the tactical map.  I figure the only time it makes sense to attack is if they have better archery/artillery/ranged-magical than I do.  Which normally happens not at all.  So I either sit my units on the starting line, or on nearby defensive +% terrain if available, then I pepper the enemy with magical attacks and arrows until they close with my line.
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 28, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 28, 2010, 11:50:47 AM

One thing that's pissing me off.  I've summoned some kind of imp thing (can't remember its real name as I immediately changed it to Bob) and its stats are good, for early game anyway, but it only moves one space per turn on the tactical map.  Since he's usually a good ten spaces away from the enemy in every battle, he has yet to participate in any battles at all.  Thus he is rendered absolutely pointless and, effectively, he's artificially inflating my stack's combat rating when I weigh up my chances against a rival stack.

Blame the lack of documentation for this one. All creatures with an ability or spell have an icon on the left hand side of the screen (it's next to the "skip turn" hourglass, and real easy to miss).  I assume you're talking about the creature from the "Bring Out The Imp" spell. If you look next to that little hourglass there's an icon for a spell that can be cast once per battle. Click it and click a spot on the tactical map and he'll be teleported there instantly.  I use it to take out enemy archers and spellcasters.  It does use up all his AP's, however.

If you have a summoned bear, there's a "maul" icon in the same place that is very handy (causes opposing troops to miss a turn).
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 28, 2010, 05:54:36 PM »

Excellent, thanks a lot TGB.  I'll take another look at that tonight then.  Incidentally, is controlling some fire shards the only way Bob will get any tougher?

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 28, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 28, 2010, 05:54:36 PM

Excellent, thanks a lot TGB.  I'll take another look at that tonight then.  Incidentally, is controlling some fire shards the only way Bob will get any tougher?

Shards currently do not do anything in tactical combat, so there's no real reason to use them..yet.

As for Bob, he will level up like any other unit you do combat with :-)

edit: Btw - the demon you can summon is pretty insane...he has a spell that hits everyone for 10 damage. I've never seen it fail, and kills pretty much everything in the early game.

A new one
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 28, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 28, 2010, 06:53:00 PM

Shards currently do not do anything in tactical combat, so there's no real reason to use them..yet.

The jury is still out on that one.  I've read posts that claim they do work, but the random number generator is wonky.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 28, 2010, 07:02:24 PM »

Quote from: tgb on August 28, 2010, 06:58:41 PM

Quote from: Razgon on August 28, 2010, 06:53:00 PM

The jury is still out on that one.  I've read posts that claim they do work, but the random number generator is wonky.

ok - I tried testing it myself, but its a bit hard to find something concrete - I could have sworn boogiebac posted something about it as well, but I cant find it.

I do know from his latest dev diary that they are investigating and will probably change the magic system

Magic System Numbers (currently rolling 0-x, meaning high level spells missing)

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 28, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »

Figured I might as well post the last dev diary here, since its pretty interesting

1. The Mega Feedback List
We love feedback . Good, bad, ugly, whatever...this is as much your game as it is ours, so it’s with great excitement that we visit countless forums, lurking in the shadows as Elemental is discussed. Hear a muffled cough as you discuss the magic system on forums.penny-arcade.com? Just us   No reason to be afraid.

As suggestions/complaints/bugs are posted, anywhere, they get cobbled into a master feedback spreadsheet with a column called “Count”. The more an Issue is complained or talked about about, the higher it climb on the list, giving a better view on how the entire WORLD feels about the game..it makes me feel very Adrian Veidt.

Current major issues being addressed internally...
- Magic System Numbers (currently rolling 0-x, meaning high level spells missing)
- City management screen
- Cursor/Selection Funkiness in Tactical Battles
- More informative UI across the board
- More Maps
- Overall balance (overpowered late game units, overpowered peasants, etc)

2. Performance Issues
People with awesome rigs are getting crummy performance. This is the next major ‘bug’ on our list, and we’ve made some major headway. Most of the issue lies with the LOD on zoom technology that fades things out as a zoom percentage is reached. As overall zoom range, specific LOD levels, and new tile diesigns are tweaked and added, the game seems to be displaying many objects, in general, when zoomed out. Code is being tweaked to make batching faster and tile designs are being tweaked to simplify better as the user zooms out...

Debug Message:  *** TD Details: F_Town_02 ***
Closest:0
Closer:0
Close:19
Mid:44
Far:14
Farther:3
Farthest:17
Total Objects:97

The fallen Town, for instance, clocks in at 97 objects, many of these being dupes that get batched together. Unfortunately, we don’t start fading out objects until the ‘Mid’ zoom level...right before the cloth map is enabled (at its default value), so even zoomed out pretty far we’re still displaying all 97 objects when we could probably get away with 40-50.

So while there’s no ‘silver bullet’, improvements across these areas of the LOD system should help performance issues considerably.

Oh, wait, Jesse just fixed some code and is now seeing a 10-20 fps boost...so apparently there WAS a silver bullet...and apparently he’s saving the details for his own change log    But good news, regardless! (jesse: so hovering over a city that used to give me 25fps now gives me 42-43)

3. AI Prep
Brad may be off the grid, but I can only imagine the AI plans he’ll come back with. To that end, we’re going to be cleaning code to make it easier for him to access specific circumstances that the AI can intelligently react to (how many times have you gone back on peace treaties, how many wars have you started, how many wars have you successfully fought back against, etc).

4. Playing the Game and Brainstorming for the Future
This is what I’m most looking forward to. We’ve been in 100% ‘make the game’ mode, giving us no time to enjoy our creation (I’ve snuck in a few hours, but always feel guilty about it). Now that we have time to play, we also have time to brainstorm what WE want to put into the game. Many times this will synch up with what you guys want, but it’s amazing what the team will do, even in their free-time, to make the game better (my ‘wouldn’t it be cool’ feature is a spell that locks escape routes, making a given T.Battle a fight to the finish).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that’s where we are, three days after release. There are other issues being addressed - we’re on the lookout for future Win7 64bit ATI issues, and balance/pacing will remain high on our priority lists, but more than anything, we look forward to hearing what you guys have to say about the game....for good or ill...in the weeks and months to come!

Now, seriously, time for bed.

I like the way they work on feedback, and I hope they will take a serious look at magic, and make some new spells, that arent as carbon copy of each other.

A new one
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 28, 2010, 10:19:05 PM »

Some things I would like to see in the game (or fully implemented if they are there already):

-Strength and weakness to various types of damage, that suit of full plate is really nice... and lightning hurts a lot for instance.
-polearms/etc that give a reach advantage on the tactical map
-dog/wolves/butterflies/etc that can be released at an enemy in tactical combat, not a separate unit. Could be covered by a special ability I suppose.
-"family" types of monsters, and spells that aid/attack/weaken specific types of monsters/kingdom/empire
-special abilities for champions
-abilities that enhance an entire army, or just specific types of units. Pack monsters for instance, the more of them in an army, the more they hurt things. Or a paladin type champion that gives a bonus to magic resistance, etc.
-the button for the Hiergamenon should be MUCH larger than it is.  For something with a great deal of important information in it... a tiny little button in the upper right corner is going to be overlooked very easily.

Probably more that I am forgetting since I just woke up.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:15:43 PM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 29, 2010, 12:31:40 PM »

How do you guys play out the first ten turns or so?  What I've been finding is that I could spend a little while scouting before founding my first city, because often I find that if I'd just scouted a bit more I could've plonked one down near some good resources and shards.

However, I seem to get attacked quite early on by other factions, and creatures tend to stomp on my outlying improvements such as lost libraries or whatever they're called.  That leads me to thinking I should just get a city or two up and running as soon as possible so that I can train some units and invest in some warfare research.

It's a good problem of course, not a bad problem.  I like having to make these kinds of decisions in games. smile

Steam profile
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 29, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »

I found my first city almost immediately.  Even if you can't see any other resources around that first piece of fertile land, rest assured, they are there. First building of course is a workshop.  I then use my Sovereign, protected by Janusk for initial exploration.  Right now my main mobile force is still my Soveriegn, along with 8 summoned creatures and a couple of Scouts.
map

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 29, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »

I think I might have broken the campaign;
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm suppose to warn Markinn. I land at the beach I go to the city but I get no confirmation from him and the campaign log doesn't give me the next step.??

Save America, shoot your television.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 29, 2010, 05:58:57 PM »

Quote from: map on August 29, 2010, 05:14:37 PM

I think I might have broken the campaign;
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm suppose to warn Markinn. I land at the beach I go to the city but I get no confirmation from him and the campaign log doesn't give me the next step.??

I haven't played very far in the campaign, but I've seen more then a few people say it is bugged. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: