http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 07:06:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic  (Read 42944 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2009, 05:29:22 PM »

Quote from: Tals on September 18, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Does anyone know what they are meant to be doing, all i'm seeing is the ability to wander around a bit but I hear talk of loosing the game and roads etc....

This is basic Basic Compatibility beta - roughly, you'r meant to try and break the game any way you can. Moving the mouse fast up and down, letting the game run for 24 hours without doing anything, making a move,and then another 24 hours of letting it stand there.. .Starting it with IE running in the background, with Firefox in the background, pressing end turn 1000 times in a row quickly

anyone you can think off to stress test the game engine itslef as it is

frankly - What people dont expect is that Frogboy is actually right when he says it isnt fun yet...it really isnt

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 18, 2009, 05:29:22 PM

Quote from: Tals on September 18, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Does anyone know what they are meant to be doing, all i'm seeing is the ability to wander around a bit but I hear talk of loosing the game and roads etc....

This is basic Basic Compatibility beta - roughly, you'r meant to try and break the game any way you can. Moving the mouse fast up and down, letting the game run for 24 hours without doing anything, making a move,and then another 24 hours of letting it stand there.. .Starting it with IE running in the background, with Firefox in the background, pressing end turn 1000 times in a row quickly

anyone you can think off to stress test the game engine itslef as it is

frankly - What people dont expect is that Frogboy is actually right when he says it isnt fun yet...it really isnt

I know all that smile Raised I think 3 bugs at least and real basic ones smile Just couldn't understand comments about a game being in there at this point?

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2009, 05:34:37 PM »

ah, but you can both win and loose already..

HAve you built your city yet? Its the first thing you should do. Then, do some research, make some soldiers, gather them up with your channeler and head out there, conquering the wolrd!!

btw - I completely misread your post appearently , sorry (the one I qouted that is)

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2009, 05:37:47 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 18, 2009, 05:34:37 PM

ah, but you can both win and loose already..

HAve you built your city yet? Its the first thing you should do. Then, do some research, make some soldiers, gather them up with your channeler and head out there, conquering the wolrd!!

btw - I completely misread your post appearently , sorry (the one I qouted that is)

I'll have a play - but i'd agree i'm not expecting much .... yet smile

** ok I now get it - I would describe this as alpha at the moment **
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:59:16 PM by Tals » Logged

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2009, 07:51:22 AM »

They did an update (to .23), this has made quite a big improvement to gameplay imho. actually more enjoyable to test now smile

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2009, 08:17:53 AM »

I'm in the beta, but don't feel there's quite enough there yet to do a post like I did for Sins, without boring people to death.

But... there is a good interview Brad did at Shacknews for those interested:  Dated 9.24.09

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2009, 11:59:35 PM »

This is what bugs me:

I didn't get to see the game's real-time battle engine, which Wardell has described as "tactical, with X-COM being a major inspiration, but designed to be relatively short."

If they were going for something like X-Com but made it real time, they really missed the mark.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2009, 03:41:09 AM »

X-Com Apocalypse, best damn real-time tactical implementation.  I had plenty of control with the same intensity of real-time games.

They can hit the mark, you just don't know what the mark is since you probably want to play just turn based stuff.  That's okay though, but don't mistake some bad implementations elsewhere for the complete inability to make a good real-time tactical implementation.  Because honestly, there's a lot of bad turn based games out there.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »

I don't want to play this until it's at least semi-ready so I have one question to those with the beta.
Do you get any kind of MOM feel from this game? Or does it feel more like AOW 1/2? Or even HOMM.

Even if we don't get a formal preview It would be cool to read what the initial thoughts are.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »

Quote from: marcusjm on October 04, 2009, 08:01:29 PM

I don't want to play this until it's at least semi-ready so I have one question to those with the beta.
Do you get any kind of MOM feel from this game? Or does it feel more like AOW 1/2? Or even HOMM.

Even if we don't get a formal preview It would be cool to read what the initial thoughts are.
Mostly it's way to early to tell.  It's definitely not a HoMM type game though.  I view HoMM as tending toward the puzzle-ly, with different scenarios having their maps setup to force you to do one thing or another.  This is much more a Civ type game (like MoM) with completely random generated maps.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2009, 11:28:34 AM »

Does it have some kind of lore or is this something you have to create yourself? I understood that you basically create
your own faction from scratch.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on October 05, 2009, 11:28:34 AM

Does it have some kind of lore or is this something you have to create yourself? I understood that you basically create
your own faction from scratch.

There will be a book based on the world and what happened, so definitely a lore yes - What is special is that you can with modding (which is pretty easy) do ANYTHING with the world you want..

A new one
Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »

Just wanted to post some updated Elemental dev journals with some recent updates on the game. 

http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/article/374288/Understanding_The_Fallen_Elemental_and_Middle_Earth
http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/article/374237/Ugly_children
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2010, 07:19:20 PM »

Yes... excellent Island Dog... now, when did you say that release date was?

Bael
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »

It's tomorrow.  I'm sure he said tomorrow.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2010, 10:42:13 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on January 26, 2010, 07:19:20 PM

Yes... excellent Island Dog... now, when did you say that release date was?

Bael

Late 2010 right now, but subject to change.. And to be honest, I doubt it will be this year

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2010, 07:39:18 PM »

I'm surprised so little interest there seems to be about this game?

Anyways, next weeks test is going to be VERY fun.... yes, you guessed it, spells!!!!!!!

Just a note on the upcoming Magic & Spells beta of Elemental so that people are prepared: The beta will be about bug testing the spells not about game balance.  As a result, feel free to indulge yourself on doing very very bad things in the world.

Here are some of the spells we’ll be testing:

a. Mass Heal

b. Raise Land

c. Lower Land

d. Raise Forest

e. Raise Desert

f. Raise Swamp

g. Charm Monster

h. Teleport to friendly territory

i. Revive Land

j. Imbue Hero

We plan to give most of these spells to players very very early on so that we can make sure that they’re working as designed.  Obviously, being able to raise mountains and exile an enemy city onto its own island are not things that are going to be just doable willy nilly in the final game.

So for a couple of builds, players will be able to just go nuts with magic without consequences.

The beta us due out a week from today but it is possible we may delay it an additional week for more polish and get more assets in (we’re juggling a lot of balls right now).

Let the crazyness begin!

A new one
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2010, 08:50:05 PM »

I don't think there is lack of interest, I just think it's too amorphous and undefined for people to get overly hyped up. There was TONS of hype before beta started and a great amount when it started. Now, people haven't heard anything in months, things got "pushed back," so to speak (I think people were expecting a March or early 2010 release originally, even if they never stated anything saying that). It's just been so back burner that it's hard to get excited.

I'm pre-ordered, but I don't do the beta. I don't want to ruin the surprise or get too into an unfinished thing. I would love to see a "next few months" type of release, but it isn't likely - as you said - and I think many people are thinking - as you said - this year isn't likely.

Wait until closer to release, you'll see interest build!

Bael
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2010, 09:09:29 PM »

Yeah, plenty of people are interested in the game.  I also preordered, but I didn't get into the beta either (contemplated doing it a few times while it was still available, but alas I waited too long).
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2010, 09:32:36 PM »

What Bael said.  I was very interested, and still am, but I'm not pre-ordering and since it's going to be a long time until it's done I'd rather just forget it even exists until within a month or so of release.

Steam profile
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »

I preordered and am in the beta.  However other priorities have conspired to keep me from doing any real testing.  I fired it up the other day but performance was very bad.  There was a distinct lag after every mouse click to the point where it was unplayable for me.  I'll try again after the update next week.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »

cool sounding limited edition.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2010, 10:46:20 PM »

Perhaps I'll preorder after all!

Steam profile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2010, 08:29:43 AM »

Is it weird that I kind of want more in-game stuff for the collector's edition?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2010, 08:39:51 AM »

There's also word of a bundle with the book, published by Random house...I'd so get that!

Its a new deal Random house is going to go out with, where they assign writers to game developers to help with the storywriting, and generate synergy between the two medias. Pretty cool - some more info here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/377219

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2010, 09:11:08 AM »

Not a bad attempt to co-market the game.  I suspect the strategy game market is one that might buy the book as well.  It's something to do between turns. Tongue
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2010, 10:15:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 04, 2010, 09:51:29 PM

cool sounding limited edition.

Pre-ordered.  I must have that.  Not having played Elemental yet I am gambling on Stardock's considerable reputation and expertise...also I am a total WHORE for limited editions and this is a particularly good one. icon_biggrin

Steam profile
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »

Weird when I try to preorder the price says $69.95 but the total says $79.95 and there is no mention of what the extra $10 is for.  Also there is no way I've seen to simply upgrade my original preorder.  Will have to contact customer service I guess.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2010, 10:52:18 PM »

Is it shipping and handling?  The upgrade option is on this page.

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2010, 06:57:31 AM »

Huw, I have this on preorder so maybe we will game again smile

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2010, 07:28:06 AM »

Sounds good Tals!  You getting the limited edition?

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2010, 07:55:39 AM »

I've had it on preorder for ages, not sure what the deal is to get the limited edition but i'm usually not fussed unless there is a game gain - not checked this one at all

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2010, 01:18:48 PM »

Well, now that I've pre-ordered the game I thought I'd better start reading about it.  Just looking at the screenshots though, and I have to say that I love the art in Elemental.  It's like the anti-Disciples; just as stylised, but in completely the opposite direction, i.e. not bleak and depressing as hell.

Really looking forward to Elemental now.  I will resist joining the beta if I get an invite though.

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2010, 01:41:48 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 17, 2010, 01:18:48 PM

Well, now that I've pre-ordered the game I thought I'd better start reading about it.  Just looking at the screenshots though, and I have to say that I love the art in Elemental.  It's like the anti-Disciples; just as stylised, but in completely the opposite direction, i.e. not bleak and depressing as hell.

Really looking forward to Elemental now.  I will resist joining the beta if I get an invite though.

I would suggest that when they go to Beta 2 you think about joining - that will be the graphics aspect being brought in. This is going to be a long beta so definitely worth sticking a toe in every now and again to see if you like the temperature and can feedback if you don't like the direction. I haven't fired it up since September but will be when it hits beta 2.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2010, 01:48:15 PM »

You and your betas, Tals!  Nah, I'm really not into beta testing at all to be honest.  I'd rather my first time playing a game is when the game has already been polished to a high sheen by other mugs players. slywink

I want it to be really good right out of the box, ya know?  I mean, I've pre-ordered anyway so I'm definitely getting the game.

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »

I sort of understand but you are reliant on others testing for you how you would like it tested. As I say I run it, if it doesn't grab me - which it hasn't yet I shut it down. If it does then i'm happy to give it some time but it will have to be an incredible game to distract me from LoL smile Must be 130+ hours now smile

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2010, 05:51:40 PM »

Quote from: Tals on March 17, 2010, 01:41:48 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 17, 2010, 01:18:48 PM

I would suggest that when they go to Beta 2 you think about joining - that will be the graphics aspect being brought in. This is going to be a long beta so definitely worth sticking a toe in every now and again to see if you like the temperature and can feedback if you don't like the direction. I haven't fired it up since September but will be when it hits beta 2.

Sorry tals, beta 2 will not be when they turn on the graphics engine, thats in Beta 3. Beta 2 will be the multiplayer one :-)

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »

Ahh well at the moment i'm not an engine person so i'll probably sit this one out smile

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2010, 09:18:50 PM »

New dev journal up: Personalising your kingdom

Steam profile
Harkonis

View Profile