http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 03:56:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Impressions  (Read 48506 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 30, 2006, 06:44:19 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
SMART MAN

If I knew it would be like this, I wouldn't have touched the main quest.

Have you tried yanking the difficulty slider to the left when you start those missions?

Yes, I do that, but I feel like I'm sort of wussing out.  I found the game difficulty perfected tuned to my character before I stepped into an Oblivion Gate, and to be honest, since I've messed around with the slider, it's near impossible for me to find a perfect balance anymore; it's weird.

I've found that the oblivion gates are disproportionatly difficult depending on your "class".  My Assassin has had very little trouble with them.  I make heavy use of poisons and always attack out of stealth.  Clannfears are dead before they can reach me, and atronachs I just dodge thier magic while peppering them with arrows.  Dremora guys can be tough.  The spellcasters end up being pretty easy since I keep quite a lot of silence poisons on me.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 30, 2006, 06:46:57 PM »

This thread was fun at first but now it has degenerated into an attack and defend thread regarding the game leveling balance.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 30, 2006, 06:47:14 PM »

i've got the difficulty slider bumped up about one quarter past default.  that seems to be fine, except that my actual melee and ranged combat damage doesn't do even the slightest bit of damage.  my conjured scamp, however, cleans up.  it's getting kind of boring with the "summon scamp, take ineffectual swing at enemy, let scamp finish off enemy".  granted, i'm playing a breton with mostly magic skills, but i do have blade as a major skill and it's at about 45, so i think i'd be doing SOME damage.   :?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 30, 2006, 06:57:01 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
i've got the difficulty slider bumped up about one quarter past default.  that seems to be fine, except that my actual melee and ranged combat damage doesn't do even the slightest bit of damage.  my conjured scamp, however, cleans up.  it's getting kind of boring with the "summon scamp, take ineffectual swing at enemy, let scamp finish off enemy".  granted, i'm playing a breton with mostly magic skills, but i do have blade as a major skill and it's at about 45, so i think i'd be doing SOME damage.   :?

One hindering factor for you Hep, is that due to being a Breton, your strength is pretty low most likely.  Due to your strength being the governing attribute for blades, it is going to reduce your blade damage.  What lvl are you and what sort of blade are you using?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 30, 2006, 06:59:58 PM »

As an aside... without spoiling anything....  the rat quest for the fighters guild just plain out rocked.  I loved it, what a great twist that was.  I am now running a second character.  I have my Argonian Assassin (premade assassin class) and love the character.  I decided I wanted to see a bit of the other play styles and created a Breton Sorceror (premade sorceror class).  So far it is a nice change of pace.  Can't say which style I like better as my assassin is lvl 18 but my sorceror is only lvl 2 at this point.  I can certainly do things much faster as a sorceror since I am not sneaking around, I just boldly charge into rooms.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 30, 2006, 07:08:48 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

One hindering factor for you Hep, is that due to being a Breton, your strength is pretty low most likely.  Due to your strength being the governing attribute for blades, it is going to reduce your blade damage.  What lvl are you and what sort of blade are you using?

i made lvl 9 last night and my strength is about 46.  any suggestions?

p.s.  i think i'll follow your lead and start playing my dark elf night blade tonight for a bit.  take him through the dark brotherhood quests, thieve's guild, etc..

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 30, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »

Actually, I think I am going to roll up a Khajit Assassin or Ranger tonight.  Been Tanking so much with my Dark Elf Spellsword that I am missing out on the cool Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines

Edit-Also I want to join the Blackwoods Company as they seem like my type of Mercenary unit

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 30, 2006, 07:30:24 PM »

i made lvl 9 last night and my strength is about 46.  any suggestions?

p.s.  i think i'll follow your lead and start playing my dark elf night blade tonight for a bit.  take him through the dark brotherhood quests, thieve's guild, etc..

Trust me, you will not regret joining the Dark Brotherhood.  In my opinion they are some of the best quests I have ever had the priveledge to complete in any game.  They really are a lot of fun.  The thieves guild is ok... I am not real fond of the setup.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: March 30, 2006, 07:36:41 PM »

Trust me, you will not regret joining the Dark Brotherhood.  In my opinion they are some of the best quests I have ever had the priveledge to complete in any game.
I guess you skipped the Thief games, then?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 30, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Trust me, you will not regret joining the Dark Brotherhood.  In my opinion they are some of the best quests I have ever had the priveledge to complete in any game.
I guess you skipped the Thief games, then?

Nope, I played the thief games and felt they were pretty blah to be honest.  They were great games from a design standpoint but did very little for me.  They felt very repetitive.  

The dark brotherhood quests give a lot of variety and ways to complete objectives.  Some of the bonus objectives can be very difficult to achieve but are always worth doing if you can.

While there have been a quest here or a quest there in other games that were great... this is a whole series of quests that are A++ in my book.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 30, 2006, 07:48:57 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Actually, I think I am going to roll up a Khajit Assassin or Ranger tonight.  Been Tanking so much with my Dark Elf Spellsword that I am missing out on the cool Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines

Do you think you *can't* do well as an assassin or thief was a Nord Battlemage, which is what I am?

My sneak and lockpicks are pretty high- can I can always find some quite boots.... but I wonder if it is a charater that CAN be a theif or assassin....
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 30, 2006, 07:56:13 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"

Do you think you *can't* do well as an assassin or thief was a Nord Battlemage, which is what I am?

My sneak and lockpicks are pretty high- can I can always find some quite boots.... but I wonder if it is a charater that CAN be a theif or assassin....

If you have been working on improving your stealth skills then you will be fine.  For me I created a second character.  While my assassin could in thoery learn enough to join and succeed in the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild, my character wouldn't be caught dead in there.  It is more of an RP thing for me.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 30, 2006, 07:59:19 PM »

If you have been working on improving your stealth skills then you will be fine. For me I created a second character. While my assassin could in thoery learn enough to join and succeed in the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild, my character wouldn't be caught dead in there. It is more of an RP thing for me.

ok cool- as for the RP- I agree... i am leary of having a nord battle mage be a thief....assassin-- not too much of a leap-

As for a second character- I am pondering a dark elf thief/assassin... but I am so far into the game- ugh

then again, playing for another 25 hours- what the heck, the game is THAT good smile

gawd my spelling sucks today......!! :oops:
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: March 30, 2006, 08:26:27 PM »

There are also several people working to cap the level scaling system, already with releases out.  But the levels don't matter much to me -- it's the sheer idiocy of what was unspeakably rare gear in Morrowind being available and common to every NPC once my character hits a certain magical level number.

As I understand it, the premise of these dark times is that they are just emerging. Now, the scaling of the monsters as time goes by means that if you were pissing around picking flowers and your combat skills went the way of the Jerry Springer Show (you know, human decay) you would most certainly NOT enjoy the game as you run from EVERY encounter.

The world is being invaded, it's not unreasonable that there would be a visible scaling of difficulty (right?) I'm not that far, Real Life has cut off my progress in Oblivion.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: March 30, 2006, 08:55:26 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"

It doesn't really matter what race/class combination you pick from in the beginning - you can eventually do everything (and this includes joining all the guilds) with enough skill gains/items/levels. Although, your race/sign does make a big difference if you're going a pure mage character. Other than that, everybody can be a jack-of-all trades.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: March 30, 2006, 09:24:43 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
There are also several people working to cap the level scaling system, already with releases out.  But the levels don't matter much to me -- it's the sheer idiocy of what was unspeakably rare gear in Morrowind being available and common to every NPC once my character hits a certain magical level number.

As I understand it, the premise of these dark times is that they are just emerging. Now, the scaling of the monsters as time goes by means that if you were pissing around picking flowers and your combat skills went the way of the Jerry Springer Show (you know, human decay) you would most certainly NOT enjoy the game as you run from EVERY encounter.

The world is being invaded, it's not unreasonable that there would be a visible scaling of difficulty (right?) I'm not that far, Real Life has cut off my progress in Oblivion.
Like I said, the leveling doesn't bother me as much as the gear does.  The level scaling is much more balanced.  It's the gear scaling that I've got a problem with (and have mostly remedied with a plugin).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 31, 2006, 07:28:51 PM »

Question: I ran into this mountain lion as I was walking back to the capital that was kicking my ass. Too fast to run away from and snipe with arrows and to strong to block. He even caused damage when I had my shield up.

I ended up dying and reloading and avoiding that area all together but my question is, how best to handle mountain lions? Any strategies?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: March 31, 2006, 07:52:15 PM »

Run them past highwaymen. They don't get along. biggrin

And the venerable words of the hero rang through the valley - "OMG RUN!!! AGGRO TRAIN !!"

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 31, 2006, 07:56:53 PM »

I killed a rat.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 31, 2006, 07:59:51 PM »

Run them past highwaymen. They don't get along. biggrin

And the venerable words of the hero rang through the valley - "OMG RUN!!! AGGRO TRAIN !!"

I wanted to do this but the mountain lion was so fast I couldnt run away from it.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: March 31, 2006, 08:00:22 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
Question: I ran into this mountain lion as I was walking back to the capital that was kicking my ass. Too fast to run away from and snipe with arrows and to strong to block. He even caused damage when I had my shield up.

I ended up dying and reloading and avoiding that area all together but my question is, how best to handle mountain lions? Any strategies?

For starters, until you get Block VERY high (or otherwise have one heck of an Armor Class), you will take damage when blocking. However, you'll take much less damage blocking than you will otherwise. And you'll get the bonus of stunning your enemy for a second or two when you successfully block (great for counterattacks).

Animals in general (short of crabs and rats) tend to poise a problem to the low level player simply due to their high attack speed. Most humanoid mobs have a weapon, and thus swing at a speed that you can easily block/move out of the way.

Just hold up your shield until they get stunned, then swing once or twice. Repeat until killed, and replace with a heal spell as a counter if your HP gets too low (as you should have a low level one included for free on you).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 31, 2006, 08:28:07 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

For starters, until you get Block VERY high (or otherwise have one heck of an Armor Class), you will take damage when blocking. However, you'll take much less damage blocking than you will otherwise. And you'll get the bonus of stunning your enemy for a second or two when you successfully block (great for counterattacks).

Animals in general (short of crabs and rats) tend to poise a problem to the low level player simply due to their high attack speed. Most humanoid mobs have a weapon, and thus swing at a speed that you can easily block/move out of the way.

Just hold up your shield until they get stunned, then swing once or twice. Repeat until killed, and replace with a heal spell as a counter if your HP gets too low (as you should have a low level one included for free on you).

Thanks, this is all good advice and I have used it. It's just the mountain lion's attack speed and strength is so damn high that no strategy seems to work for me.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 31, 2006, 08:28:20 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I killed a rat.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 31, 2006, 08:30:08 PM »

I killed a rat.

Nice.  Last I knew you were 0 for 5 against that rat.  Way to stick with it!!

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: March 31, 2006, 08:48:25 PM »

I find that I have an easier time killing Trolls than I do killing mountain lions.  They are a little overpowered...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 31, 2006, 08:49:58 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I find that I have an easier time killing Trolls than I do killing mountain lions.  They are a little overpowered...

Thats my experience too. Too fast to snipe with arrows and to strong to fight and block and way to fast to run away from.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 31, 2006, 08:56:19 PM »

I'll agree with the mountain lions... ouch.

I know that if I get into a fight with one I'm going to be using some potions.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: April 01, 2006, 01:23:07 AM »

So how does one tame them? smile Also, how do you talk someone out of attacking you... it involves black.

Oh, and are there any benefits to getting infected by a vampire?

Yep. Great impressions thread. Ah well, we all know it peters out to this kind of thing. biggrin

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 01, 2006, 01:41:06 AM »

Thank you all for your encouragement and well wishes as my battle with the rat finally turned in my favor.

I'll keep you posted as my adventures progress!

Tongue

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 01, 2006, 01:58:59 AM »

Ok!  :shock:

I just think I either saw a huge bug or .... well, let me explain. Eariler in the game I was out adventuring and came upon a ruin called, Miscarcand. To make a long story short, I fought down to the bottom level and took the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Great Welkynd Stone.
As I took it a trap was sprung and all the door locked and I was under attack from two zombies and a magic user called the King of Miscarcand. Instead of fighting, cause I knew I had no chance, I ran down picked the suddenly locked (VERY HARD) door and escaped. At first I though the stone I stole was one of the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Elf statues that the collector is paying for.
So I returned to the capitol and found out I couldn't sell it to him. Hmm, it must be part of another quest, but what?

Ok, fast forward a couple days. I just accidently stole a scroll for the first time. I saw a guard and turned myself in so I could pay the fine. Loading screen pops up and I pop up in the Prison District of the Imperial City.

Guess who pops up too? The King of Miscarcand and his two Zombies!! WTFF!?!? This must be a huge bug. Were the following me this whole time and now just caught up too me?? I just sit there stunned and watch as the imperial guards beat them down. I then search the bodies and find the key to the door I picked to escape and Greater Staff of Ruin.  :lol:

Neat that I got the loot but WHAT JUST HAPPENED??? :shock: [/quote]

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 01, 2006, 02:57:42 AM »

Miscarcand is part of the

Spoiler for Hiden:
main quest

The king probably just got caught up somewhere pursuing you.  He's supposed to be pretty badass and will probably chase you to the ends of the earth.  How the system deals with things pursuing you when they're not loaded or pursuing you through fast travel gets complicated, so not surprised he had some trouble finding you.  Doesn't sound like a bug to me though, just sounds like he took his sweet time smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: April 01, 2006, 03:05:59 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Thank you all for your encouragement and well wishes as my battle with the rat finally turned in my favor.

I'll keep you posted as my adventures progress!

Tongue

Look at that!  You are ALMOST smart enough to join the fighters guild.  Good job!  (buncha dumbasses in that guild I tells ya)

By the way, I'm now the head of The Brotherhood and The Thieves guild.   Questions to me if you have em. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: April 01, 2006, 03:50:58 PM »

So how does one tame them? smile Also, how do you talk someone out of attacking you... it involves black.

Oh, and are there any benefits to getting infected by a vampire?

If you hit a friend accidently and they pull their weapon, block and talk to them at the same time. If you're still on good terms with them, they'll yield to you and go back to normal.

There are some stat bonuses and extra abilities you gain from being a vampire. On the flip side, you need to eat every so often as well (or face the Sun God's wrath).

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 05, 2006, 05:19:10 PM »

Is there anything you can do to increase carrying capacity other than boosting your strength?  

My character (wood elf) is very "non-strength-oriented" and I'd prefer to spend time on skills that boost Agi, Int, Wis at level up time.  However, I'm finding that I can't carry more than 2% of the items I loot -- or so it feels.  In dungeons, I'm encumbered by the 2nd room.  It really cuts down on the fun of dungeon-crawling.  150 carrying capacity does not go a long way.  

I love pack-ratting in these kinds of game, but I don't want to have to play a high-strength character to do it.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 05, 2006, 05:25:40 PM »

You could learn a spell which would temporarily increase your carrying ability.  Of course you'd have to recast it unless you found a way to make an item with it as a constant enchantment.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 05, 2006, 05:31:09 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
You could learn a spell which would temporarily increase your carrying ability.  Of course you'd have to recast it unless you found a way to make an item with it as a constant enchantment.

you can enchant any item with any spell really - so long as you know the spell--

You can say, enchant your boots with a constant feather spell- I am wearing some now that give me a 25 point bonus...constant spells are very expensive I believe.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 05, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »

In Morrowind, Feather wasn't as good as Strength for making an enchanted ring or other item to be able to carry more.  Due to FFXI, I'm just getting into Oblivion, so this is not a fact, just guessing it would be similar.  The best things to enchant were rings, due to their light weight, and Daedric armor that you would be wearing anyway.

I didnt read the whole 18 pages, lol - cz I want to get back to the game!

Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 05, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »

I would love to enchant an item with feather but I still haven't been able to cast a soul trap spell because my mysticsm skill is too low. Anyone know what is the simpliest mysticsm I can cast so I can practice??

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 05, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »

I would love to enchant an item with feather but I still haven't been able to cast a soul trap spell because my mysticsm skill is too low. Anyone know what is the simpliest mysticsm I can cast so I can practice??

I just went back to the guy that sold me the spell- every time I leveled, and trained 5 times...took me  3 levels but I finally bumped it up to um, 25? and now my soul trap works.

Training is VERY handy...it will cost you but definitely worth it- esp for soul trap.

Oh and maxing your Repair skill... def worth the price as well- since once you get to ugh, not sure of the level, but you will then be able to repair enchanted items with repair hammers- MUCH cheaper that way.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: April 05, 2006, 07:18:43 PM »

Quote from: "Hotfreak"
Is there anything you can do to increase carrying capacity other than boosting your strength?  

You can put on Feather (which just gives you more carrying capacity), but you'll get bang for your buck by getting Strength.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: