http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 10:45:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Impressions  (Read 48628 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2006, 05:39:30 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Very rarely do I play a game for 7 hours the day I get it...even more rare is playing another 7 hours the next day.  For this guy who simply couldn't stand Morrowind (but always *wanted* to like it), Oblivion just seems to have that certain SOMETHING and I've been trying to figure out what it is.

Maybe it's because things are actually happening.  I mean, totally random quests, including a quest in which I had no IDEA what I was getting myself into; a total, what the HECK is going ON moment.

Maybe it's nailing an unsuspecting troll in the back of the head with an arrow only to watch him crumble over a railing down into a pit below. *edited to add* (I think Arkon and me had the same incredibly cool physics moment!)

Perhaps it's because they just NAILED the environment.  As I was traveling from Barma (or whatever its called, the northern city) to the Imperial City, I was walking along a winding road down a hill and it looked just like an area in which I lived in real life.  It was beautiful.

I just can't get this game out of my head - while driving, I look to the side of the road and see herbs that I could be picking to mix into potions and sell, I play the game on a headset with Calvin (because we're gay like that) and hearing his reaction to stuff in the game is as fun as my own reaction to cool stuff going on.

And it's just so weird, the fact I am really engrossed in this game.  The exploration reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus.  I mean, just coming across totally random stuff, it's amazing.  

And to be honest, I dislike games like this, as a rule!  I like LINEAR stuff, I LOVE hand-holding; why in the world am I so enthralled by the extreme open-endedness of Oblivion?

And I haven't even started the main quest yet!

So even while I'm not entirely sure how much longer Oblivion will continue to captivate me, or if I'll even come CLOSE to finishing the main quest; the first 14 hours of gameplay in Oblivion were pretty special to me.

I bet you gained a few pounds smile
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2006, 05:49:32 PM »

Anyone get access to the Arcane University yet.  I'm still doing reccommendation quest.  I love how varied the quest are, some are quick and others have me getting jumped by a rouge mage near an oblivion gate.  The elven ruins is some of the best dungeon crawling EVER, dark corners, traps, zombies, and lots of mysterious section where stuff can just jump out at you.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2006, 06:14:33 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
*Purge's story*

See, stories like this are a great read. And there's so many of them in this game.

And for all of you PC users lurking in this thread ( biggrin ), visit this thread:
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=146290
for a few mods I've already found for some quality of life improvements.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2006, 06:22:02 PM »

Very rarely do I play a game for 7 hours the day I get it...even more rare is playing another 7 hours the next day.  For this guy who simply couldn't stand Morrowind (but always *wanted* to like it), Oblivion just seems to have that certain SOMETHING and I've been trying to figure out what it is.

i've only had it for one day and put in a little over 9 hours already.  i enjoyed playing Morrowind, but i definitely find myself more interested in what's going on in Oblivion...and i've only done a few small quests (first part of the main, and a couple quick ones in Chorrol).  i'm not sure why, but Oblivion has just grabbed me a little more quickly than MW....great game so far Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2006, 06:27:02 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"
Not to be condescending, but isn't this what caves are like? I can't imagine they always lead to another exit....
It would be nice, however, to have a spell like DQ8's "Evac" spell.

Oh, yeah I agree...but caves sometimes DO have second entrances/exits...yeah it's a minor thing- but it would be cool to have another door that opens far away from where you started and still hold some semblance to realism.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 23, 2006, 06:47:17 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Kathode, have you heard anything about the "dirty disc" error on the 360 version?  I can't seem to get to the official forums.  It started with all the sounds lagging about 3 seconds behind the action.  Then all of a sudden the screen went black and an error popped up saying the disc was dirty and to clean it.  There was nothing on the disc at all, looked perfect, I had to power cycle the 360 and it worked.  Microsoft says the issue is not with the system rather with the game.

had that same problem here as well.  took out the disc, gave it a wipedown, then rebooted with it.  worked fine after that.  makes me a bit scared, though.   i'm saving...like...every 4 feet now.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: March 23, 2006, 07:30:10 PM »

I'm saving...like...every 4 feet now.

I do that anyway.  slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 23, 2006, 07:44:13 PM »

I do that anyway.

Knightshade youre as bad as i am - i do this with ALL RPGs (oh my god what if i want to go back and do it differently!)

back in my total OCD RPG days i would use different save slots every time - yea that got out of hand, but i can admit, im recovering smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 23, 2006, 07:55:50 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"
Not to be condescending, but isn't this what caves are like? I can't imagine they always lead to another exit....

Oh, yeah I agree...but caves sometimes DO have second entrances/exits...yeah it's a minor thing- but it would be cool to have another door that opens far away from where you started and still hold some semblance to realism.

FWIW, I just finished up a dungeon that was designed in such a way that I finished back at the entrance without having to do any backtracking.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 23, 2006, 08:22:50 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"

I actually did find one cave like this, besides the tutorial cave. It was not far from the tutorial cave, in fact, though it wasn't the Sideways cave.
I don't want to spoil it for anybody, though.

Last night, I got access to the Arcane University. I've made just one spell so far, and have been leveling up my other spell powers so as to weild THE MIGHTEST SPELLS EVAR!

PSN ID: EduardoX
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: March 23, 2006, 08:26:02 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'm saving...like...every 4 feet now.

I do that anyway.  slywink

The fact that saves are pretty much instant (at least they are on my PC), that really helps the save-a-holic.

But many saves are good. The AI is mean in this game, and is not afraid to chew you up in melee.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: March 23, 2006, 08:37:25 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
I do that anyway.

Knightshade youre as bad as i am - i do this with ALL RPGs (oh my god what if i want to go back and do it differently!)

back in my total OCD RPG days i would use different save slots every time - yea that got out of hand, but i can admit, im recovering smile

*hides his head*  Uh..yea, the seperate save slot?  Yea I do that too...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: March 23, 2006, 08:38:28 PM »

Man, having 2GB of RAM makes ALL the difference in this game.  Oh you've loaded the outside already and you are going into a building?  Short load to go in, no load to leave. biggrin

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 23, 2006, 08:40:40 PM »

I have to wait til monday to play this.  Sure, I could technically play it on this min-spec machine at my parents' house, but why bother?

I love the Blunt tabard/icon/design thing.  There's an axe right smack in the middle of it.

I mean, you want two melee weapon categories, Swords and Everything Else, that's fine.  I think it would have been more professional to call the other category "Non-Blades" or even "Everything Else."  Calling it "Blunt" and having it include axes is just fucking retarded.

kathode, who the hell signed off on that?  I'd think it was a silly oversight, but then, someone made art depicting axes as Blunt weapons.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 23, 2006, 08:53:10 PM »

Man, having 2GB of RAM makes ALL the difference in this game.  Oh you've loaded the outside already and you are going into a building?  Short load to go in, no load to leave. biggrin

I only have a gig but I have to say, in general, the load times are really really fast!

I don't ever see the "no load to leave" but 2-3 seconds of load time is very nice.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 23, 2006, 08:57:37 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I have to wait til monday to play this.  Sure, I could technically play it on this min-spec machine at my parents' house, but why bother?

I love the Blunt tabard/icon/design thing.  There's an axe right smack in the middle of it.

I mean, you want two melee weapon categories, Swords and Everything Else, that's fine.  I think it would have been more professional to call the other category "Non-Blades" or even "Everything Else."  Calling it "Blunt" and having it include axes is just fucking retarded.

kathode, who the hell signed off on that?  I'd think it was a silly oversight, but then, someone made art depicting axes as Blunt weapons.

Obsess much?  

It has been known for a long time that would be the situation and yet it still just seems to drive you nuts.  

I suggest you just return the game because this one tiny issue seems to ruin the whole game for you.

Was it a good decission?  Probably not but it works, it is consistant, clear, and works fine so how long will you beat the same dead horse?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 23, 2006, 09:05:58 PM »

Actually the 360 version, with its measly 512 megs of RAM, does this too.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: March 23, 2006, 09:58:38 PM »

Having used axes before, let me assure you that they are a blunt object.  The use of an axe isn't a slashing type strike, but more of a 'its kinda got an edge, so I'm gonna just drive the wedge and see what breaks' sort of thing.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 23, 2006, 10:00:33 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Actually the 360 version, with its measly 512 megs of RAM, does this too.

Hmm, I'll have to check that out.  I never noticed. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 23, 2006, 10:15:28 PM »

Having used axes before, let me assure you that they are a blunt object.  The use of an axe isn't a slashing type strike, but more of a 'its kinda got an edge, so I'm gonna just drive the wedge and see what breaks' sort of thing.

Remind me never to mess with Ron. Or even go near him, actually.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 23, 2006, 10:24:23 PM »

i would also like to add that if Eduardo or I, or anyone else around here, ever show up on the back of a milk carton box, please have the police check Ron's crawlspaces.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: March 23, 2006, 10:29:03 PM »

...so how long will you beat the same dead horse?
TIL IT LIVES AGAIN

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 23, 2006, 10:40:39 PM »

The only choices on the ballot I got were "Blunt" and "Flapjacks and sausages."  I picked the loser frown
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 23, 2006, 10:40:46 PM »

He's actually a lovable fuzz ball, until he suddenly screams and goes all ninja on your ass thus kung-fu'ing you into oblivion. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 23, 2006, 10:41:25 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"

The only choices on the ballot I got were "Blunt" and "Flapjacks and sausages."  I picked the loser frown

Damn. Now I'm hungry for IHOP. DAMN YOU KATHODE!!!!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 23, 2006, 10:42:34 PM »

Arkon wrote:
Kathode, have you heard anything about the "dirty disc" error on the 360 version? I can't seem to get to the official forums. It started with all the sounds lagging about 3 seconds behind the action. Then all of a sudden the screen went black and an error popped up saying the disc was dirty and to clean it. There was nothing on the disc at all, looked perfect, I had to power cycle the 360 and it worked. Microsoft says the issue is not with the system rather with the game.

had that same problem here as well. took out the disc, gave it a wipedown, then rebooted with it. worked fine after that. makes me a bit scared, though. i'm saving...like...every 4 feet now.

I've had the same issue, but while playing Burnout Revenge.  This on a brand new disc that's been in the drive for the first time for about 4 hours.  I have a hard time believing this is a game issue rather than a system issue, unless it's in multiple games...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2006, 12:54:29 AM »

I'm a 2nd level Finesse Axe user. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2006, 12:55:38 AM »

Don't worry. His smell is a natural deterrent.

:: runs ::

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2006, 12:58:03 AM »

Speaking of which... I've yet to locate cleaning material for my 2H Axe... The blueberry syrup is going to etch the blade if I don't get it washed soon. frown

FWIW, these one-line responses I'm dropping make me feel dirty... kinda like 'Devil' responses. ninja

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: March 24, 2006, 03:42:09 AM »

You're still a winner in my heart, Gav.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 24, 2006, 10:17:21 AM »

Okay, where the hell can I buy potions?  I've tried that cheap spell place and the Mystic Emporium in the Imperial City and I've scoured Bruma (love that place, btw).  Haven't been to any other cities, but come now, I need some more healing potions STAT!  

What good are potions like "damage personality 10% for 2 secs" and "damage fatigue 3 pts for 10 secs" and whatnot?  I can't use a potion on anyone else, right?  I usually make these somewhat silly potions and sell them for little profit - just wondering if they can be used in any fashion.

Sort of disappointed in my options of illusion thus far (but the higher-skilled spells seem AWESOME for my character type), but I'm still quite unskilled at it...however, when I saw an illusion spell "Rage of _____" (forgot the name) in which it merely gave the target like, 40pts of frenzy or whatnot, even though baffled at what the hell the spell does, I grabbed it.

Well, it is definitely the most entertaining spell I wield.  I proceeded to cast it on a begger only to have her whip out her knife and go and attack another civilian!  This alerted like 4 guards who just stated to gang-up and wail on her!!  Once dead, they let her be, while I looted the body, stole her house-key and pillaged her home    :twisted:

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: March 24, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »

Well, it is definitely the most entertaining spell I wield.  I proceeded to cast it on a begger only to have her whip out her knife and go and attack another civilian!  This alerted like 4 guards who just stated to gang-up and wail on her!!  Once dead, they let her be, while I looted the body, stole her house-key and pillaged her home    :twisted:

Sniffle...I love you man. slywink  

Thats awesome!  :twisted:

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 24, 2006, 12:40:55 PM »

Okay, where the hell can I buy potions?  I've tried that cheap spell place and the Mystic Emporium in the Imperial City and I've scoured Bruma (love that place, btw).  Haven't been to any other cities, but come now, I need some more healing potions STAT!  

What good are potions like "damage personality 10% for 2 secs" and "damage fatigue 3 pts for 10 secs" and whatnot?  I can't use a potion on anyone else, right?  I usually make these somewhat silly potions and sell them for little profit - just wondering if they can be used in any fashion.

Any of the alchemy suppliers will sell you potions.  Check places like The Golden Caraffe (yes this is the actual name... very gay name, and many NPC's in the city have said the same lol.)  in the Imperial City.  I haven't explored Bruma much yet so not sure where the alchemical supplier is there.  

The potions that have negative effects, are actually poisons.  You can apply them to your weapon.  Low level poisons aren't very impressive outside of the Damage Health ones.  Soon I will be making silence poisons, powerful burden poisons (can we say fighter in heavy armor and big 2handed sword who now can't move....   biggrin   ).
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 24, 2006, 12:49:58 PM »

My continued annoyance at not being able to aim for shit continues...

I tried melee combat, and for the most part, I can't stand it.  So that option is out.

However, I have found one cool little thing.  There is an illusion spell you get relatively early called Calm something-or-other.  It is a touch spell.  This works great in combination with a myriad of other things.  Creature comes close to you, you calm it.  It sits there in a green haze for 15 seconds doing nothing.  You back up, and then pepper it with flare spells or bow fire!  Aiming problem solved!!!   smile

The only thing I have a question about though is that certain "smarter" enemies don't stand in one place long enough to attack easily.  Some of the humanoid bandits for example must have relatives in the Mexican Jumping Bean family, cause by the time I go to cast anything on them, they are now behind me swinging that big axe into my back.  I'm curious if anyone else has difficulty with the Jumping Bean enemies besides me.  I want to know if I should quit in frustration cause I suck, or if these guys are/were difficult for others to handle as well.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 24, 2006, 01:36:55 PM »

I suck just as much as you, but being a Bark Elf when shit starts to hit the fan I call on my handy dandy ghost

Also, I vote best tank in game my damn Horse.  I know not what Thieves and Bandits have against my ride but damn if they don't try to take him out

Lastly,  Does anyone know where a woman by the  name of  Maeva(sp) is located.  I found a awesome blunt weapon that I took off some dead warlord that got in my way.  It has her name on it and now is a quest in my log

Still looking for Ninroot too

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 24, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »

Ninroots can be found around the edges of water... lakes, ponds, etc.  I've found 14 or so I think.  I've discovered that neat as night vision sounds, I really don't like the blue tinge to everything... hurts my eyes.

For combat difficulty... don't forget there's a slider that you can adjust.  Not sure exactly what it changes since I haven't actually used it yet.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 24, 2006, 02:09:04 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
My continued annoyance at not being able to aim for shit continues...

I tried melee combat, and for the most part, I can't stand it.  So that option is out.

However, I have found one cool little thing.  There is an illusion spell you get relatively early called Calm something-or-other.  It is a touch spell.  This works great in combination with a myriad of other things.  Creature comes close to you, you calm it.  It sits there in a green haze for 15 seconds doing nothing.  You back up, and then pepper it with flare spells or bow fire!  Aiming problem solved!!!   smile

The only thing I have a question about though is that certain "smarter" enemies don't stand in one place long enough to attack easily.  Some of the humanoid bandits for example must have relatives in the Mexican Jumping Bean family, cause by the time I go to cast anything on them, they are now behind me swinging that big axe into my back.  I'm curious if anyone else has difficulty with the Jumping Bean enemies besides me.  I want to know if I should quit in frustration cause I suck, or if these guys are/were difficult for others to handle as well.

To be honest, I have not really had much issue with aiming due to the fact that 90% of the time i am firing from stealth and the target is stationary.  If they survive the initial hit I switch to melee and let them close on me.  I block thier attack and counter.  I tend to try and keep my back to a wall to prevent them getting behind me.  And yes bandits can be a pain due to thier mobility.  Use that stealth to your advantage.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 24, 2006, 02:29:02 PM »

About Ninroot:
Spoiler for Hiden:
It's in the well the mage guild fellow sends you down for the Ring of Burden after the last guy didn't come back

I got attacked(!) by a unicorn last night. I didn't know they attacked! That thing was hard to kill, too. Lots of backpeddling.
And it seems the unicorn horn is only worth 1 gold! I need to get to a store to make sure.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 24, 2006, 02:51:08 PM »

Hey Arkon (or should I call you 7eetGamerK1ng!Iam#1!)... how about you come on over to my place and teach me how to play, seeing as every complaint I ever have you shoot down as not being a problem for you.  Christ you are annoying.   :wink:

On a more serious note though, regarding stealth... How much of a difference do you guys see when using different types of armor/boots etc, with the ease of things hearing/seeing you?  From my little bit of reading, it sounds like the game calculates the amount of light that is reflecting off your body to determine if things can "see" you.  That makes sense in theory.  Are you finding that being in the dark, shadows, etc... makes a big difference?  How about sound/noise?  Softer boots are said to be better.  Are you finding this to be the case?  If so, perhaps I should walk around barefoot.

Thanks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2006, 02:57:46 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Still looking for Ninroot too

There is some on the western bank of the harbor where the ships are moored outside the capitol. (if you're heading south, cross the bridge and head west past the ship... there should be a stalk of it at the end of the cobblestone path).

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: